Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

explosivo posted:

I'm not quite there yet but what's the best/easiest way to do drone battery distribution? Last time I played I made it juuust past drones before giving up and recall having a central drone station where the batteries were made that distributed batteries to other ports. Is that about what I should be doing?

Ideally you minimize dedicated battery ports and align them with heavy import/export factories. So something like Plastic+Quickwire -> Computers (has a port) -> Supercomputers -> Phase4 maker (has a port). As long as an intermediate has dedicated port factories on both sides it doesn't need one, and the more inputs/outputs from those dedicated-battery-port-having factories the better.

In terms of practicality... well that's kind of where Satisfactory gets weird. The raw resources required (not good for drones) go up massively but the need for intermediates (great for drones) continuously shrinks. You wind up needing way more parts as spares for building things than for building elevator parts. It really overvalues centralized building and importing raw resources into a few megafactories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
This is probably the most impressively stupid Satisfactory thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6kgvQTpkM

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Man with Hat posted:

This is probably the most impressively stupid Satisfactory thing I've ever seen.
The lengths that people will go to to send Fixit a screw you.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6kgvQTpkM

This is the first time I've seen one of his videos. He has a calm pleasant voice that I'm not used to hearing in Satisfactory videos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly the screw waterfall didn’t really work becuase of frame rate

But it was a fun project

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally making nuclear pastas and beating the game for the first time! I had 1 machine making nuclear pasta, so I figured it would take about 30 hours to make 1000 of them. So I tried to figure out what I should do while I waited. My main factory is in the dune desert, but my biggest secondary factory is the swamp south of it, because that's the nearest bauxite and uranium.

So I figured I'd just try to make more Nuclear Pasta from the ground up, and decided on the blue crater as the site for my new factory. So far I have a circular train route that gets bauxite from the swamp, copper from a node outside the crater, and nitrogen gas from the node between the crater and the swamp. I'm using the oil to make as many alt recipes for things like circuit boards and heavy modular frames. I finally finished everything to turn on my 2nd nuclear pasta factory... when I had made about 700 nuclear pastas already. And then I realized I hosed up and need another 600 copper ingots a min. I'm already using the copper node in the crater, so the rest of it won't be enough, so I need to find that other, impure node, see how much copper I can get out of it, and then smelt it all and get it to my factory and see how many nuclear pastas per min I can make. With any luck, I'll be making 1.5 nuclear pastas a minute right about the time I don't need them anymore! Oh well, it'll be worth it to send that last space elevator delivery for once.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Question about power consumption. I was getting ready to expand my coal plant, I wasn't out of power yet but I was riding at like 50mw below production so I was going to be there soon. But everything was stable!

First thing I did was plop down a mk2 pole to replace an old mk1 over there, moved the cable coming from the plant to the new one, and everything shut down. That's expected though, so I just finish the new cables and hit the fuse.... and it powers up for a couple secs then blows. Over and over. I'm not out of coal or water in the plants so it has to be a draw issue? If I delete the line running back to the factory and hit the fuse it works fine.

So my question is: when things turn on like in that situation, does EVERYTHING turn on at once for a moment, so I need to be have more power than the max consumption in a situation like this? If it's not that I am not sure what else it might be.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
powerplants use power before they generate power

isolate them with bio fuel then connect them after they've booted online

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

So they turn on fine when isolated, but when I connect them back up to the rest it shuts down again. That's why I assumed it was a draw issue from things turning back on.

The power stuff frustrates me. I keep thinking I understand it and then something else happens

Finagle fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 2, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Finagle posted:

So my question is: when things turn on like in that situation, does EVERYTHING turn on at once for a moment, so I need to be have more power than the max consumption in a situation like this? If it's not that I am not sure what else it might be.

You need power for the water extractors, then the plants all have to fill, then (assuming they're full of coal) they'll start humming. Like everything else liquid it'll get all splashy as it drains and everything will go on/off for a bit and X minutes later you'll have stable power. You can isolate it (if you can generate enough for the miners and water gens) until it's stable then turn on the drain, though obviously you need enough to cover the power.

It's hard to say what's happening without looking at the power graph.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

But the plants are full of coal and water, I checked that. When they are isolated, they turn on without bioburners just fine and stay on. When I try to turn it on when they are connected to the rest of the plant, it turns off. Same if I start it isolated and then connect it.

I'll try to get pictures when I'm back at it tomorrow. I'm just not sure which way to go to solve this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You shouldn't ever need more power than Max Cons -- which is the max possible power draw of everything* in the network you're looking at.

Having power turn off and then turn back on will draw more power than whatever steady-state average Consumption you had been drawing a minute earlier. It's not exactly that everything draws 100% power when you reset the switch, but due to quirks of how the machine IO works** you will tend to spike high.

*Exception: the hover pack draws 100MW and doesn't show up in Max Cons, though does show in Consumption. But you don't have a hover pack yet presumably.
**Outputs continue feeding while machines are unpowered, but inputs get cut. This means that everywhere you have belts that aren't totally filled, those machines will feed out to the belt and thus have not-full output buffers when you restart.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't think all your production is always guaranteed to turn on instantly when you reset the fuse, but things behave unpredictably sometimes when they run out of power so that may be what's happening. It will not last for long unless you have some shortages somewhere that need filling.

Just build extra coal plants or bio burners, even if you don't have the resources to run them long term you can run them for a few seconds or whatever easily and then disable them. You really should always have enough power plugged in to cover your max draw just in case.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Yeah, I'd been meaning to increase the coal plants for awhile but kept putting it off. I'll see if I can fix it with more power next time I get in.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
This was a cool challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7WoMpcWSxg

She's built the entire world in sandbox mode but never turned anything on until it's all built.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Paradox Interactive has unveiled their factory simulator called Foundry, which combines minecraft with factory building.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I can't wait for PDX to add DLC for every little thing. Want green power? That'll be $25. Want to use rails? That'll also be $25.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I bought Foundry when it was just on itch.io.
Decent enough for the $5-$10 that I paid for it.

e: wait, no I paid 17.50 for it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
PDX is just publishing it. Not that it would preclude a bunch of DLC, but they aren’t making the game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
New patch on Experimental, including the engine upgrade to UE 5.2.1. People are reporting large performance increases, even with Lumen enabled.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Combat Pretzel posted:

New patch on Experimental, including the engine upgrade to UE 5.2.1. People are reporting large performance increases, even with Lumen enabled.

Including a really annoying bug where having an item selected in build mode and selecting a hotbar item overwrites that item on the hotbar with what you're got selected. My muscle memory now has forced me to fix my hotbars all the time.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I have a question about trains I can't quite figure out. I want some trains to stop at a station until fully loaded in all wagons. I tried setting them to Freight Wagon is fully loaded/unloaded and wait 5 seconds as the attached image shows but some of them just got stuck at the station forever. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the settings?

It seems like it goes in, waits for a bit, fills up once and if that doesn't fill all the slots in the train it gets stuck forever.

I just figured out it's probably because it waits for enough stacks to fill up the train cart to exist to load up but the cart already has half a stack so half a stack from the station plus half a stack already on the train leavs one empty slot so the train doesn't leave but also never loads again. So a bug I'd say

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 19, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Having a lot of trouble with bugs right now. Caveat that these are for MP which is all I'm playing, so can't speak to SP but it's really rough in MP right now with the latest patches.

- The game has a significant chance to "forget" you and spawn you with a new/empty body. They dropped a hotfix the other day to fix this, but it definitely did not work. I'd say 1 out of every 3 spawns places me in a new body. Not the end of the world on its own since you can just go murder your old body and grab your poo poo, but it's exacerbated by...

- Selecting either rail signal type in build mode and then either "dropping it", quick swapping to another item in the menu, or selecting an item from the hotbar causes the game to crash. I tried to be patient and place all my signals at once, but eventually the game gave me a new body when I re-launched the game.

- Previously mentioned, but the issue where selecting something in build mode and then selecting a hotbar item overwrites your hotbar setting with the held item is super annoying.

- Rails on occasion don't render properly when placed going off into the distance. I think that they are functionally correct and it's a graphical glitch, but my brain can't handle it and I have to replace the rail until it looks right.

It's a bummer because some friends and I have a good game going, but I've got a massive rail network project I'm in the middle of and now I can't do it without jumping through some pretty bad hoops.

Edit: All of these issues are found in the Q&A page. Which is nice.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 19, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

It seems like it goes in, waits for a bit, fills up once and if that doesn't fill all the slots in the train it gets stuck forever.

Wayyyy back in U5 or 6 (I forget) I had this problem a lot when it came to trains that couldn't immediately fully load/unload. I never figured out why, so I just wound up fixing why that was or just eliminating the train route. Even if I manually resolved the situation the train remained waiting forever, ignoring its time rule.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

Wayyyy back in U5 or 6 (I forget) I had this problem a lot when it came to trains that couldn't immediately fully load/unload. I never figured out why, so I just wound up fixing why that was or just eliminating the train route. Even if I manually resolved the situation the train remained waiting forever, ignoring its time rule.

I just changed all the trains back to the basic pick up once and then leave setting but it fucks with my efficiency so I don't like having to do that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Man with Hat posted:

I have a question about trains I can't quite figure out. I want some trains to stop at a station until fully loaded in all wagons. I tried setting them to Freight Wagon is fully loaded/unloaded and wait 5 seconds as the attached image shows but some of them just got stuck at the station forever. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the settings?

I just figured out it's probably because it waits for enough stacks to fill up the train cart to exist to load up but the cart already has half a stack so half a stack from the station plus half a stack already on the train leavs one empty slot so the train doesn't leave but also never loads again. So a bug I'd say

Looking around the reddits it seems like using AND with the fully loaded/unloaded setting gives other people the same problem, the train just waits forever. So it seems like that might be a bug. I can't do a good test at the moment myself so I'm not sure.

I've definitely used fully loaded/unloaded setting successfully before, and it isn't confused by partial stacks. Anything that fills a slot counts as "filled".

But I'm pretty sure I always used OR wait for that, and AND wait for the 1-cycle option. IMO it doesn't make much sense to do the other way around. So I'd try flipping that to OR, and set like 999 seconds wait time so it has plenty of time to wait for a full load.

Man with Hat posted:

I just changed all the trains back to the basic pick up once and then leave setting but it fucks with my efficiency so I don't like having to do that

Out of curiosity how does this mess up efficiency? If the train has to wait for a load, that means doing more frequent runs will deliver the same amount of stuff. Just with extra trips.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Having a lot of trouble with bugs right now. Caveat that these are for MP which is all I'm playing, so can't speak to SP but it's really rough in MP right now with the latest patches.

- The game has a significant chance to "forget" you and spawn you with a new/empty body. They dropped a hotfix the other day to fix this, but it definitely did not work. I'd say 1 out of every 3 spawns places me in a new body. Not the end of the world on its own since you can just go murder your old body and grab your poo poo, but it's exacerbated by...

- Selecting either rail signal type in build mode and then either "dropping it", quick swapping to another item in the menu, or selecting an item from the hotbar causes the game to crash. I tried to be patient and place all my signals at once, but eventually the game gave me a new body when I re-launched the game.

- Previously mentioned, but the issue where selecting something in build mode and then selecting a hotbar item overwrites your hotbar setting with the held item is super annoying.

- Rails on occasion don't render properly when placed going off into the distance. I think that they are functionally correct and it's a graphical glitch, but my brain can't handle it and I have to replace the rail until it looks right.

It's a bummer because some friends and I have a good game going, but I've got a massive rail network project I'm in the middle of and now I can't do it without jumping through some pretty bad hoops.

Edit: All of these issues are found in the Q&A page. Which is nice.

Just wanted to chime back in and mention that all of these things have been fixed or mitigated with the latest hotfix. I still get crashes when placing signals, but not as badly as before and was able to get through my major rail project with only a couple CTDs. I think the signal crashing thing is actually related to bugs with calculating rail blocks in MP. The block drawing is really inconsistent and buggy and so I think on occasion it just freaks out you go between drawing it when holding a signal in build mode and when it stops drawing it when you exit build mode with signals. Who knows, but it's better and good on them for fixing everything so fast.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Looking around the reddits it seems like using AND with the fully loaded/unloaded setting gives other people the same problem, the train just waits forever. So it seems like that might be a bug. I can't do a good test at the moment myself so I'm not sure.

I've definitely used fully loaded/unloaded setting successfully before, and it isn't confused by partial stacks. Anything that fills a slot counts as "filled".

But I'm pretty sure I always used OR wait for that, and AND wait for the 1-cycle option. IMO it doesn't make much sense to do the other way around. So I'd try flipping that to OR, and set like 999 seconds wait time so it has plenty of time to wait for a full load.

Out of curiosity how does this mess up efficiency? If the train has to wait for a load, that means doing more frequent runs will deliver the same amount of stuff. Just with extra trips.

I mean, I haven't done the math but the idea was to mitigate wasted resources due to several trains doing the same round and through traffic eventually ending up coming in right after each other, giving my train station time to fill up completely between runs and stalling the input. I have three trains running this exact round trip.

I will try the OR [BIG NUMBER] thing, thanks for the advice.

The thing I figured was happening was if the train cart had one single stack of say 2 iron ore in it and the train station had 31 stacks of 100 and one stack of 5 in it, it seems to count "Train has 1 stack, station has 31 stacks = 32 stacks total. I will load the train now" and then the train ends up with 30 stacks of 100 and 1 stack of 7 and decide "I'm not fully loaded yet so I can't leave". Does that make more sense?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I've gotten back into Satisfactory. The farthest I ever got was Tier 2 and then Coal Power. I have officially passed that.

What is up with the LOD settings? I have it set to Ultra but stuff starts looking and acting very strange and I don't even walk that far away for the LOD to kick in. Basically stuff about 20m away will start becoming choppy and low-detailed. It's especially noticeable with the Tier Rocket thing that flies up and down. If I'm away from it when it's animating, it's just a slideshow presentation. Any clue as to how I can fix this? I get it's most probably hardcoded for performance, but my base is still early on and I think my PC can handle rendering things in full detail for the time being.

PS: Are tractors useful?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Qubee posted:

What is up with the LOD settings? I have it set to Ultra but stuff starts looking and acting very strange and I don't even walk that far away for the LOD to kick in. Basically stuff about 20m away will start becoming choppy and low-detailed. It's especially noticeable with the Tier Rocket thing that flies up and down. If I'm away from it when it's animating, it's just a slideshow presentation. Any clue as to how I can fix this? I get it's most probably hardcoded for performance, but my base is still early on and I think my PC can handle rendering things in full detail for the time being.

The LOD stuff has always been there and is always the one thing that coming back to Satisfactory has me thinking "It's still like this, huh?"

explosivo posted:

Is it normal for things this close to be animating at 15 fps with view distance set to Ultra?

I've always seen this happening in satisfactory before but could never figure out if there was a way to make it less noticeable or if there is what setting changes that.

(the answer was no there is no setting that's just how it be)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tractors are useful for long-haul logistics, where building a belt would be too long an ask. If you played in the grasslands opening, most mid-tier resources are far enough away to make tractors a worthwhile investment in bringing stuff home. Trains will do their job better later, but train stations are much bigger than truck stations so they might still have a role where space is tight later. You record what route you want them to take rather than building tracks.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Getting the first few vehicles automated is one of my most cherished memories of playing Satisfactory. This was before trains were in the game. I liked hearing and seeing them buzzing around, making the planet feel a little less lonely. It's fun to plan out and record their routes and feels good when you see the plucky blighters making it back from a long arduous trip, filled with valuable resources.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of vehicles, do people build roads for them in general or just drive them around? I still just use long rear end conveyors to train stations, maybe that's dumb

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Personally I just follow all the natural trails webbed across the map rather than spending time building anything - the big benefit of tractors is that you don't have to build anything besides maybe a ramp or bridge, you just drive the route once.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

Speaking of vehicles, do people build roads for them in general or just drive them around? I still just use long rear end conveyors to train stations, maybe that's dumb

Roads can definitely help to flatten hilly areas and ensure trucks can make it up a hill, but they're mostly for show. Driving them always felt like a shitshow so I only do that to make paths and generally there's like two trucks despite me saying every game "Next game, I'm going to use more vehicles". The world is just too vertical to really make long-range use of them and at the point where you would maybe want to it's easier just to build a train line.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Qubee posted:

LOD settings tend to break after every major update, the latest one being the most severe on account of the complete engine overhaul. They mention it in dev videos all the time and work to fix it as the issues pop up but I expect it to be a constant problem until 1.0 is released.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Man with Hat posted:

The only vehicle that really needs roads are factory carts, trying to drive those on the ground is a recipe for frustration.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Thanks for the info on vehicles. It's always felt like an inconvenient step between trains and conveyors but maybe I'll use some this time around to pick up resources and drive them to the train stations.

I have another question. About fluids of course, because they don't make any goddamned sense. I have this turbofuel setup

These 12 refineries, overclocked by 250%, using 450 compacted coal and 675 fuel to make 562.5 Turbofuel.

Two towers of five floors like this with five generators overclocked to 250% on each floor for a total of 50 generators using 11.25 m3 of turbofuel per minute.

All fuel goes through one MKII pipe that goes up the first tower and down the second. The entire first tower is running at 100% efficiency so the fuel is getting to the top, and the top floor of the second tower is moving at 100% but the second to highest floor is not getting enough fuel to run constantly and as such the ones below are not running at all. I'd chalk this up to pipes filling up or whatever but the problem is that the refineries are filling up with turbofuel and are not running at 100% efficiency despite there being plenty of room for more fuel in the system.

I use three MKII pumps and one MKI pump to pump the fuel up the tower and they all show 10-20 m headlift below Maximum Headlift. I don't get it. It seems like the pipes are connected but not delivering fuel fast enough and I just can't figure out why. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Here's the layout of the top floor of tower 2:

Here's a beautiful graph on how the fuel is moving between the towers:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

My guess would be the mk1 pump limiting flow from 600 to 300m3/s
Try upgrading it to a mk2, or wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Qubee posted:

So I've gotten back into Satisfactory. The farthest I ever got was Tier 2 and then Coal Power. I have officially passed that.

PS: Are tractors useful?

For what it's worth, there's a youtuber I really like who is doing a beginner-friendly playthrough which is very step-by step. He is only updating it once a week atm, and isn't as far in the game as you are.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCmmkwcxcfMiZgRyuqxN2vqGkcqFWChXh

PS: I have not found tractors useful.