Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Starmer's 'douse fires with petrol' strategy seems to be working juuust fine.

https://x.com/taj_ali1/status/1715496332838748265?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
*Clears throat*

Any other leader'd be twenty points ahead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had a dog looked like that I would probably ban it tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That post seems to be gone? Anyone got a screenshot?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
No screenshot but IIRC it was about the various councillor resignations and there are a bunch of posts on his twitter page:

https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1

So not sure why he would have deleted that particular one unless he wanted to change something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Fitzcarraldo Editions are making Palestinian author Adania Shibli’s Minor Detail (tr. into English by Elisabeth Jaquette) free to download for the entirety of the Frankfurt book festival. The book was due to receive the LiBeraturpreis at the Frankfurt Book Fair this week until the organisers cancelled the ceremony. Go download it wherever you get your downloads.

You can get it from Amazon (Kindle edition) for free.

Publisher's blurb: https://fitzcarraldoeditions.com/books/minor-detail

It's 8am and I haven't been to bed yet. :( Bad sign for work on Monday!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 21, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I do love these community notes :allears:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
God drat Labour is frustrating.

Someone a few pages ago asked what they’d have to do for people to not vote for them, and honestly I have no idea.

They’re in the position of only needing to be marginally less poo poo than the Tories to potentially win an election, and given the sizes of our two main parties compared to the rest there’s really not a viable option outside of the Big Two, at least in terms of getting a parliamentary majority. What are we gonna do, let the tories win again?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
You know what you have to do, Ralphie.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Surprise T Rex posted:

What are we gonna do, let the tories win again?

I'm genuinely wondering if incompetent tories will be less damaging to this country than the authoritarian competent fascist leadership that Keith brings to the table.

e: Twitter has since removed that community note from the ITV tweet

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 21, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Why are Britain’s new houses so rubbish?

spoiler: :capitalism:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

God drat Labour is frustrating.

Someone a few pages ago asked what they’d have to do for people to not vote for them, and honestly I have no idea.

They’re in the position of only needing to be marginally less poo poo than the Tories to potentially win an election, and given the sizes of our two main parties compared to the rest there’s really not a viable option outside of the Big Two, at least in terms of getting a parliamentary majority. What are we gonna do, let the tories win again?

Most of the people I talk to are saying stuff like "this is what you need to do to get elected" or "they will be better in power".

Burying their head in the sand basically.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Surprise T Rex posted:

They’re in the position of only needing to be marginally less poo poo than the Tories to potentially win an election

Seems to me they don't need even that, people will just assume they are

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

notaspy posted:

Most of the people I talk to are saying stuff like "this is what you need to do to get elected" or "they will be better in power".

Burying their head in the sand basically.

Or pre-emptively justifying voting for a Red Tory.

I've had colleagues tell me "they can't be any worse", which I find somehow worse since it shows how low everyone's expectations are. "They can't be any worse" than a Prime Minister who's terrified of doing anything except pandering to fascists and culture-war enthusiasts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People are obsessing over getting the blue team out without considering whether it's going to make anything better. Labour aren't planning to improve anything that the Tories have broken, are fully on board with their right wing rhetoric and will be a freshly renewed force who might actually be able to pull it off, or at the very least will keep the culture war fires stoked until the Tories are ready to take charge again and fully kindle them.

I've said it before, but Get The Tories Out is one of the most damaging political slogans of our time. All it's given us is a bunch of myopic arseholes whose only song in their playbook is to vote once every five years and have a panic attack when anyone brings up other, dare I say more direct, actions, while any objections like "what will the long term effects of this be" or "how about we just don't vote for any of them and start talking about the ramifications of giving all the power to whoever shows up and pays the deposit" are met with "oh, so you WANT the Tories back in then!?".

This isn't meant to be directed at anyone here, we're all loving sick of the Tories. But I am fully ready to spend the next quarter century saying I loving Told You So to anyone who thinks Labour is going to slow this decline, let alone reverse it in any way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man I shouldn't be getting this mad on a Saturday morning. I just want to lay some laminate flooring but one of my neighbours had the installation kit delivered to them while I was out and I live in a block of loving flats and I have no idea who has it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sorry, I just combined these posts in my head and got a vivid mental image of a Limmy's Show skit involving someone walking around the outside of a block of flats hollaring "which tory bastard's got me laminate flooring?" at the windows.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm honestly jealous if you live somewhere where your vote has a hope in hell of mattering, even at the MP level.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Sorry, I just combined these posts in my head and got a vivid mental image of a Limmy's Show skit involving someone walking around the outside of a block of flats hollaring "which tory bastard's got me laminate flooring?" at the windows.

They've turned the wainscoting against us!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gort posted:

I'm honestly jealous if you live somewhere where your vote has a hope in hell of mattering, even at the MP level.

The turnip headed gammons of Mid Beds, a place I know well like another poster here - the land of buried Masquerade treasure, london commuters, and quaint pubs full of racists - just went red, so I’d say votes matter in a lot of places next time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

The turnip headed gammons of Mid Beds, a place I know well like another poster here - the land of buried Masquerade treasure, london commuters, and quaint pubs full of racists - just went red, so I’d say votes matter in a lot of places next time.

As has been pointed out by myself and better people: Mid Beds went red solely because the gammon racists stayed in the pub. Turnout was just under 25,000 lower than in 2019, and the Tory vote diminished by the same amount. Labour actually lost votes in the course of achieving their "historic victory". And I'm sure that come a General Election when the turnout rises again, the Tories will rise as well.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gort posted:

You too huh? The Tories could field a donkey with a blue rosette here and the pickled gammon cunts would still vote it in

I just did a poll
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1715684835690172461

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't know why everyone's so mad about the new houses, ever since Bloor's and Jelson's and Craig David Homes have concreted over half the village a bunch of houses have swimming pools now!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Getting married today. It's that awkward time where it's still too early to put my suit on and leave the house, I don't really feel like doing anything else and I probably shouldn't start drinking just yet. Ugh, just want it to be over.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Videogames in your pants you say? Great way to spend a Saturday morning.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pistol_Pete posted:

Getting married today. It's that awkward time where it's still too early to put my suit on and leave the house, I don't really feel like doing anything else and I probably shouldn't start drinking just yet. Ugh, just want it to be over.

Remember that feeling well. I was never really nervous, just wanted to get the thing done.

People aren't lying when they say it'll go by in a flash though. Hope you have a lovely day!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Getting married today.
Goongrats and hope you have a great day!

I shall also require the ceremonial and magically rooted services of a respected community leader today if it doesn't stop raining.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Pistol_Pete posted:

Make reasonably concealable sandwiches for you and the bride that you can have on your person. There can be a looong period between wedding and eats sometimes.

Also, enjoy the day.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

Gratz!
I'll just assume our invites got lost in the post.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

Go to a good barber and get a hot towel shave and a trim

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope you have a good day.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

My wife's male friends took me to the coffee shop before our (morning) wedding and put like three coffees in me. She meanwhile was getting sloshed on champagne with her bridesmaids for Dutch courage, so I'm there at 10am sober af while she's coming in halfway lit. I feel there is an injustice here.

You will be fine. It'll be better once you get to the reception. Also congrats :)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fill your pockets with beans and an easily concealable spoon

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

You too huh? The Tories could field a donkey with a blue rosette here and the pickled gammon cunts would still vote it in

I just did a poll
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1715684835690172461

So vote for the fascists who will waste money.
Or vote for the fascists who will waste less money.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Monica Bellucci posted:

Make reasonably concealable sandwiches for you and the bride that you can have on your person. There can be a looong period between wedding and eats sometimes.

Also, enjoy the day.

this just seems like a good general lifestyle. from now on i will never leave the house without at least three concealed carry sandwiches hidden on my person. much more likely than guns to be helpful in an emergency, at least

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I see the discourse has moved on to “Octopii are Antisemitic”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I ate one while I was in manchester so can I be leader of the labour party now?

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It's still a very sad story (and by Guardian Australia so not strictly relevant), but given that we've been discussing the inescapable cesspit of misery and despair here in the UK a lot recently, this article gave me an unexpected resurgence of hope and belief in human communities and the importance of caring for one another this morning so I thought it might be worth a share.

As a warning, it's a story about Atilla, a Turkish immigrant who died alone in a Sydney block of flats during lockdown. The official inquest, with no family members attending and very little information to hand, imagines Atilla as a divorced, friendless ex-military loner who'd struggled with mental health difficulties and assimilating into Australian life, and initially the journalist understands the man in the same way.

Then he discovers that Atilla had in fact been working seven days a week at a queer sex shop, alongside a wide community of friends and colleagues who he loved to cook for and take care of, and who still honour his memory to this day and remember him fondly as a joker and a party animal.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Any UKMT folk at the march in london today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

My wife's male friends took me to the coffee shop before our (morning) wedding and put like three coffees in me. She meanwhile was getting sloshed on champagne with her bridesmaids for Dutch courage, so I'm there at 10am sober af while she's coming in halfway lit. I feel there is an injustice here.

You will be fine. It'll be better once you get to the reception. Also congrats :)

Thank you all! My partner told me the registrars won't marry us if we're visibly inebriated; perhaps this was just her knowing me too well and wanting to head me off from getting hammered pre-wedding.