Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

A coworker of mine is the executor of her grandfather’s estate. He passed this summer at like 98 or something. She’s been going through everything with the attorney, and recently found out that she is being sued by two aunts who are adamant that she is withholding $50,000,000 from them. She and her lawyer are completely unconcerned because he was worth nowhere near that, all the documents and everything are in place, and they have nothing to stand on other than “We think you are hiding an absurd sum of money from us”.

My question is how common are things like this? Where one party has absolutely no chance at getting a ruling to go their way, but proceeds headfirst into it all.

Follow up question, can something be literally laughed out of court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

A Real Horse posted:

My question is how common are things like this? Where one party has absolutely no chance at getting a ruling to go their way, but proceeds headfirst into it all.

Maybe not claiming $50mil in hiding, but the thought of money makes some people go straight off the rails into conflict with everyone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

Getting your back rubbed feels good omg wow medical breakthrough that'll be $500

In Florida massage therapy is not covered in auto-PIP but chiros are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The chiro industry appears to exist largely because they can be used by rear end in a top hat attorneys to "substantiate" medical harm. I have no idea how you'd go about a state-by-state disentangling of a practice central to the profit methodology of ambulance-chasers.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

A Real Horse posted:

You can definitely hear the judge either trying not to laugh or trying not to scream when you read some orders granting motions for summary judgment.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

q_k posted:

Maybe not claiming $50mil in hiding, but the thought of money makes some people go straight off the rails into conflict with everyone else.

Guess so. I would be shocked if the estate reached past the mid six figures, it’s just insane to me that they would claim so much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A Real Horse posted:

It happens, it's rare we get two or three of these and their ilk per year - they usually don't get laughed out of Court, they usually run out of whatever little money they had to begin with that their lawyer was happy to take off them while filing whatever bullshit they told them to.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

The chiro industry appears to exist largely because they can be used by rear end in a top hat attorneys to "substantiate" medical harm. I have no idea how you'd go about a state-by-state disentangling of a practice central to the profit methodology of ambulance-chasers.

And because of Mormons and bored white women

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ooh, the aunts might be sov cits trying to get at that corporate bond!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

And because of Mormons and bored white women

That's more the dietary supplements industry. I can't talk to friends or family about the facts of the interaction between the LDS and dietary supplements because it sounds like a loving conspiracy theory.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Discendo Vox posted:

That's more the dietary supplements industry. I can't talk to friends or family about the facts of the interaction between the LDS and dietary supplements because it sounds like a loving conspiracy theory.

Have you ever been in a chiropractic office? They definitely are also in the supplement industry.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Read "Under the Banner of Heaven" for a deep dive into Mormon Culture, and 'alternative business practices' as a pillar of their social/economic model. (Also a history of the church, and a double homicide)

therobit posted:

Have you ever been in a chiropractic office? They definitely are also in the supplement industry.

Oh yeah. The ven diagrams are 100% overlap.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

blarzgh posted:

(Also a history of the church, and a double homicide)
If they've only got 2 bodies, that pretty much qualifies as "best" church, right?
Fuckin bush league.
Let us know when they find unmarked graveyards behind LDS schools.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So wait do courts/insurance companies actually buy Chiropractor bullshit?

Or is it typically a, "we'll settle for $X to get you to gently caress off" sort of thing where they're not really accepting it as real damages, but just recognizing that the fight is not worth having?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DaveSauce posted:

So wait do courts/insurance companies actually buy Chiropractor bullshit?

Or is it typically a, "we'll settle for $X to get you to gently caress off" sort of thing where they're not really accepting it as real damages, but just recognizing that the fight is not worth having?

Courts 100% recognize it as medical treatment in FL because it is enshrined in statute as such. Massage therapy, on the other hand, is not and is not even covered by most auto insurance medical coverage in FL.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

A Real Horse posted:

Guess so. I would be shocked if the estate reached past the mid six figures, it’s just insane to me that they would claim so much.

Inheritance literally breaks people’s brains. My brother is 6 years in on being convinced my dad and I are hiding money from our grandma(my dad’s mom) from him. She lived to 93, dude, we spent it on her healthcare. We had to go through a whole forensic accounting process because of it and he still thinks we are hiding assets.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

B33rChiller posted:

If they've only got 2 bodies, that pretty much qualifies as "best" church, right?
Fuckin bush league.

Do LDS get some points for the Mountain Meadows massacre and the century-long attempt at a coverup?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

B33rChiller posted:

Fuckin bush league.

nah that book just talks about one double homicide in particular, it also covers a lot more hosed up poo poo (there's a lot of about the FLDS Church in it). Good book, depending on whether you like Jon Krakauer or not

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do LDS get some points for the Mountain Meadows massacre and the century-long attempt at a coverup?
I'm largely ignorant, this is the first I've heard of it, but I'll count it.

EwokEntourage posted:

nah that book just talks about one double homicide in particular, it also covers a lot more hosed up poo poo (there's a lot of about the FLDS Church in it). Good book, depending on whether you like Jon Krakauer or not
Unsurprising disappointment.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm in my last semester as a grad student and the university has stiffed me on a couple paychecks. During the normal fall/spring semesters, I am paid out of one bucket of money but I'm paid out of a complete separate bucket for the summer. Problem is, during the last summer session, the incompetent bozos in payroll hosed up my forms and so I have never been paid for the 3 summer months. I have notified both department payroll and central payroll about this and they have been allegedly working on it since July, but every "fix" they tell me they apply never happens. So I go back to complain again, they say they have a new idea how to pay me, nothing happens, repeat process. The latest brilliant idea is to start at the very beginning of the process with a new set of payroll forms, but that will take several weeks at the least before I get paid. I have finally reached the end of my patience.

Is it worth it to hire a labor lawyer and have them try to bully whoever is in charge of the purse string to just cut me a check for the backpay owed? Or will billable hours eat up half my salary anyhow? Since the fall semester has started again, I am being paid correctly, but I would like the 3 months owed to me

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Do you have someone internal to escalate to? At the very least, the university should have an ombudsman's office, which is basically the catch-all, help-me-the-bureaucracy-is-hosed-up office. Or more close to you, an advisor, department chair, or dean?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I initially told my advisor (who actually had the same issue, but somehow manged to get everything squared up after only a month) and department payroll person in July, who has been working on this with the central university payroll. Some of the fault is mine as I assumed one of them would notify the chair, which they eventually did, but only last week. He's the one who suggested to start re-initialize from the top with the new forms. Department payroll notified me the Dean's office is taking an interest in some capacity, but I have no idea to the extent.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You could probably send their legal counsel a demand for unpaid wages via your state dept of labor. It may not change the logistics but ideally would light a fire under them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What is the statue of limitations for resolving unpaid wages where you are vs how long have they been waffling?

I would have been talking to government agencies about that poo poo during August and definitely not still working for the same org with that kind of debt outstanding

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Javid posted:

What is the statue of limitations for resolving unpaid wages where you are vs how long have they been waffling?

I would have been talking to government agencies about that poo poo during August and definitely not still working for the same org with that kind of debt outstanding

I was knee deep in finishing my dissertation, so I kinda had other things on my mind. Not like I could quit without sending 6 years of work down the tubes

Texas' stuff is 180 days but they also don't cover state agencies, so I would have to go federal instead. And who knows how long that would take.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not a lawyer, but I read a lot of board minutes. I'd say the value in having a formally delivered claim is not so much the regulatory timescale, but that now when the top management do their quarterly review the legal matters section goes from 'there is a moderate risk of future claims against us' to 'there is an active legal case to the value of $x'000'

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And who knows how long that would take.

An employment lawyer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So on a scale from 1 to 100 how great an idea is it for SBF to testify in his own defense for four hours?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tunicate posted:

So on a scale from 1 to 100 how great an idea is it for SBF to testify in his own defense for four hours?

It's a great idea for laughs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

There's a point in the criminal defense math where testifying is basically equivalent to a Hail Mary pass. Yes, it's probably going to gently caress you, but you're hosed anyway, and there's a small chance you persuade a juror and get a hung jury or something and delay things by a little bit more and every deferral and delay is another chance.

So most high profile defendants who people say are making a mistake by testifying aren't so much making a mistake as they are trying to gamble their way out of a mob debt. It's not so much a mistake as it is an available choice out of a set of very bad options.

See, e.g., the Murdaugh trial, where all the TV pundits said he made a mistake by testifying, but he got lucky and a numbnuts court clerk told the jury room not to believe him, and now he may get a whole new trial.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 26, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not to contradict you but my half-assed impression is that a lot of high profile defendants testify because they're egomaniacs who don't listen to their own lawyers and are quite sure they can explain everything and get off scott free because blustering their way out of things has always worked for them in every other aspect of their lives. And not specifically because their lawyers have advised them this hail mary desperation play is the only chance they've got left?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh true that's why they do it. I'm just explaining why it isn't automatically a mistake. Dudes made a lot of prior dumbass decisions to get to the point of needing to decide whether or not to testify in their own defense. One more risky play isn't necessarily making things any worse.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
To put it in different terms; it's only a mistake to testify if you stand a better chance without your testimony than with. No lawyer will advise you to testify if you already have a solid defence, possibly based on technicalities, because it is a very risky move at the best of times. However, if you are up poo poo creek you might as well try and swim for it.

Now, some systems also as an informal rule will consider it a strike against you if you refuse to give your version to the court. Like if you don't testify in a norwegian court room the court is going to be pretty suspicious of you, so the better act is being emotionally distraught or overcome in a way that isn't very detailed and can't be used by the prosecution (like, sympathy plays are amazingly effective) but as a lawyer you can't advise or condone trying to pull off an act like that. Also because the client will rat you out for any shady poo poo you try and basically 1% of people can actually pull it off convincingly anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Almost by definition a high profile defendant (unless they are a celebrity) is someone who has done something extremely illegal in full public view and the trial is a bit of a formality.

e: it is also a bit context dependent. For example, Kyle Rittenhouse's self-defence argument was always pretty solid and its hard to see how any reasonable jury could come to another conclusion, but he absolutely had to take the stand in order to make that happen.

e2: And in the UK the rule is stronger - if you refuse to testify then the jury direction is essentially 'if you think that the defendant doesn't have a good reason why they haven't answered the prosecution's questions, you can assume it's because they're probably guilty'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 26, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

Almost by definition a high profile defendant (unless they are a celebrity) is someone who has done something extremely illegal in full public view and the trial is a bit of a formality.

e: it is also a bit context dependent. For example, Kyle Rittenhouse's self-defence argument was always pretty solid and its hard to see how any reasonable jury could come to another conclusion, but he absolutely had to take the stand in order to make that happen.

Fair points.

For Rittenhouse I disagree somewhat. Rittenhouse's self defense argument had some major holes in it, not least that he brought on the difficulty and went to the incident location looking for exaxtly the sort of trouble he ended up in, and a black dude in the same exact circumstances would've gotten convicted, say, three times in five (imho). OTOH you are correct (and I'm pretty sure I said at the time) that he always had a pretty good chance at acquittal assumingna competent defense lawyer. You're also probably correct that he needed to take the stand to make it happen. Rittenhouse wasn't really making a Hail Mary play like SBF or murdaugh by testifying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

e2: And in the UK the rule is stronger - if you refuse to testify then the jury direction is essentially 'if you think that the defendant doesn't have a good reason why they haven't answered the prosecution's questions, you can assume it's because they're probably guilty'.

This makes a lot less difference in America than people think. Studies of juries have shown that they pretty much routinely assume anyone who doesn't testify is guilty, and judicial admonishments not to do so just reinforce the bias.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This makes a lot less difference in America than people think. Studies of juries have shown that they pretty much routinely assume anyone who doesn't testify is guilty, and judicial admonishments not to do so just reinforce the bias.

Oh yeah, the reason we changed our approach was that everyone knew juries were doing that anyway and so its better if the system acknowledges reality and warns defendants on what's coming.

On Rittenhouse I actually disagree - what I took from his testimony is that he wasn't looking for trouble because as a dumb kid he assumed that the gun made him invulnerable, so he blithely put himself in an incredibly dangerous situation that escalated to the point where he needed to use it. I suspect that's what the jury took as well. I think the big question mark over that trial is what happens if the prosecution don't make the unfathomable decision to put several witnesses up who were clearly lying through their teeth all the way through their testimony. Watching the trial I think the point where I decided he was definitely getting off was seeing Gaige Grosskreutz trying to claim that he wasn't running after Rittenhouse but just running in the same direction as him, behind him, with a gun intending to stop him.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

three times in five (imho).

interesting choice in odds

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What happens if you get served for an outstanding debt for someone else? A friend got served, apparently because the guy who used to live at his apartment never updated his address, and he just plans on ignoring it. I being, paranoid, suggested he at least call the courthouse or something. Do they not have to check your ID or something? If my buddy does nothing is this other random rear end in a top hat gonna get a bunch of extra poo poo because the sever never gave it to him? It's Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sleepy.eyes posted:

What happens if you get served for an outstanding debt for someone else? A friend got served, apparently because the guy who used to live at his apartment never updated his address, and he just plans on ignoring it. I being, paranoid, suggested he at least call the courthouse or something. Do they not have to check your ID or something? If my buddy does nothing is this other random rear end in a top hat gonna get a bunch of extra poo poo because the sever never gave it to him? It's Florida.

When you say the server never gave it to him, do you mean he just found it in the mailbox one afternoon?