Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sporklift posted:

Which Brass Contstruction you getting rid of? Some recommendations, maybe more funk than disco? The line is blurry between those genres sometimes. Bohannon, Cerrone, Mandré

The self titled, presumably their first album. It is drat dull musically and reminds me of filler background music for a TV show, but that is an insult to TV music. Funk is fine too, I guess something that I do like that is in that intersection of genres is Mother's Finest- Another Mother Further. I'll check out these and BigFactory's recs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Heathen is probably my favorite Bowie record. Gerry Leonard's guitar work is so goddamned beautiful and "5:15 The Angels Have Gone" and "Heathen (The Rays)" are some of the most melancholy beautiful songs he ever wrote.
loving love that album

I’ll admit that as much as I love Bowie, I’ve never really taken much notice of his 90s/00s albums as I tend to stick with the 70s gear. I’ve listened to the Outside/Earthling/Hours trilogy a few times, but I don’t think I can say that I’ve ever listened to Heathen. I’m looking forward to it!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This month's shipment from Vinyl Me, Please. They pair well together, I think.

On the topic of pre-orders and box sets, I somehow resisted temptation in pre-ordering that Cowboy Bebop box set and only have a slight bit of FOMO regret!

But here are my last two box set purchases (also from VMP), with the Miles just arriving last week:

The Electric Miles is definitely an acquired taste, but the pressing sounds phenomenal. A lot of people are saying these blow other audiophile pressings out of the water, including MoFi. I can't personally vouch for that -- I only had Bitches Brew, Live-Evil and On The Corner and none of those can be considered audiophile quality. But I will say what I've heard from this box is nothing short of amazing.

The Cadet set is also pretty high up there in quality, with music that imo is much more accessible than the Miles. Definitely an underrated collection.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry
Tom Waits reissues arrived today.

Preordered that new Duster rarities compilation (?) and the Blue Smiley reissue. The Duster compilation confuses me because I thought "Capsule Losing Contact" was the Duster rarities compilation, but I guess there are always more Duster tapes lying around. Blue Smiley was a great little band where, on the album "return", all the songs have that jangly chorus-y guitar sound that I love. The song Coma is great!

I'm jealous of everyone that got the "McClusky Do Dallas" reissue. My local record store had a used copy the day I heard about the reissue, but they wanted $50+ for it because, "It hadn't been reissued," so I guess I'll sit tight on that one. Oh, and I would order that "Let It Bleed" edition of "Tim" by "The Replacements", but I ain't payin' $$$ for a huge box set whose CDs I may only play once. Please issue a vinyl-only release of the Ed Stasium mix, Rhino.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nthing heathen as good bowie, one of my favorites

"everyone says hi" and "slip away" make me a bit weepy occasionally

i tend to think of "conversation piece" as being from that album as well, since it was on the bonus cd of the first pressing, but i guess that's canonically on toy now

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Speaking of pre-orders, I made my pre-order for the new Judas Priest album, "Invincible Shield" which is set to release in March 2024.

The first single, "Panic Attack" was released yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_l-trEOtbk

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

rockinricky posted:

Speaking of pre-orders, I made my pre-order for the new Judas Priest album, "Invincible Shield" which is set to release in March 2024.

The first single, "Panic Attack" was released yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_l-trEOtbk

If it's even half as good as Fire Power it'll be a must buy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

If it's even half as good as Fire Power it'll be a must buy.

I concur, Fire Power is a top Priest album. I'm gonna hold off on the new one though as Christmas shopping is upon me already believe it or not. Yay budgeting.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I finally got around to actually uploading my most recent bunch of records that have come in the last few weeks/today

I've been collecting almost a year now and I've already slid into novelty stuff :ohno:

Shut up, Winner Takes All loving owns.

I got off my hipster horse and finally bought this one to go with the rest of my Deafheaven collection

:bisonyes:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up my original copy of this from my folks house a few years back (after Phish starting covering it in their shows) and forgot how racist the chinese water torture track was. Curious if they left that off the re-release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jeez I was confused for a sec before the pics loaded because Queen also has a track called Chinese Water Torture that appears as a bonus track on some editions of The Miracle, and I was all "how can guitar noodling be racist?" Good to know it's just good old fashioned 40s/50s Disney racism.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i ended up with a sealed copy of this at some point and i have no recollection how or why

i have yet to open it

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

hexwren posted:

i ended up with a sealed copy of this at some point and i have no recollection how or why

i have yet to open it

Don't feel bad, I haven't listened to my copy yet. But it was neat to find and the price was right so hopefully it's entertaining.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vinyl Me, Please has a referral program right now where if you sign up using a referral link, you can get between $20 and $80 off your subscription, depending on how long you sub for. This is on top of a current promotion they're running until the end of the year where, also depending on how long you sign up for, you get up to eight free bonus records from this list.

Anyways I don't want to excessively shill but I know how many shy away from VMP because of its cost. I just thought I'd offer a way to help take the some of the sting off it. If anyone wants a referral link, DM me. No pressure. :)

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

One of my local record stores had their yearly cassette mixtape exchange event this week so I made myself make one. I haven't touched my turntables in quite a while so this was a fun way to get back into it. Most of the tracks are from records I've picked up in the last year.

Link to recording if anyone would like to stream/download a copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zr1vKJR4BMFlS0RBIimmfSBcDvlc-iKa/view?usp=share_link

Tracklist:

Side A

Relatively Clean Rivers - Easy Ride
Arbor Labor Union - Hovering Stone
William Tyler & The Impossible Truth - Highway Anxiety/Radioactivity
Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
My Solid Ground - The Executioner
Black Duck - Thunder Fade That Earth Smells
Futoshi Moriyama - Yūtai-ridatsu
Animal Piss, It's Everywhere - Hot Sewage
Red-headed Woodpecker

Side B

Color Green - Night
Cul de Sac - Death Kit Train
Waste Man - Proofreaders, Singles, and Philosophers
Meridian Brothers - Bomba Atomica
Stella Kola - November
Kieran Hebden & William Tyler - Darkness, Darkness
Horse Lords - Mess Mend
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
The Feelies - Deep Fascination
Hermet Thrush

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Stinky fraish Beefart mix, noice bruh

Also reminding me i still have the October Moss Appeal waiting for my ears. Gah!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Let's say you have two options: black splatter on a red background, or black and red split down the middle. Which would you pick?

I'm leaning towards the former since that seems more unique (pretty sure I have a Dan Mason album that's red and black split), but was curious how y'all pick record variants if the only options are fancy color ones.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainBeefart posted:

One of my local record stores had their yearly cassette mixtape exchange event this week so I made myself make one. I haven't touched my turntables in quite a while so this was a fun way to get back into it. Most of the tracks are from records I've picked up in the last year.

Link to recording if anyone would like to stream/download a copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zr1vKJR4BMFlS0RBIimmfSBcDvlc-iKa/view?usp=share_link

Tracklist:

Side A

Relatively Clean Rivers - Easy Ride
Arbor Labor Union - Hovering Stone
William Tyler & The Impossible Truth - Highway Anxiety/Radioactivity
Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
My Solid Ground - The Executioner
Black Duck - Thunder Fade That Earth Smells
Futoshi Moriyama - Yūtai-ridatsu
Animal Piss, It's Everywhere - Hot Sewage
Red-headed Woodpecker

Side B

Color Green - Night
Cul de Sac - Death Kit Train
Waste Man - Proofreaders, Singles, and Philosophers
Meridian Brothers - Bomba Atomica
Stella Kola - November
Kieran Hebden & William Tyler - Darkness, Darkness
Horse Lords - Mess Mend
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
The Feelies - Deep Fascination
Hermet Thrush

Looking forward to listening to this. Thank you!

Read After Burning posted:

Let's say you have two options: black splatter on a red background, or black and red split down the middle. Which would you pick?

I'm leaning towards the former since that seems more unique (pretty sure I have a Dan Mason album that's red and black split), but was curious how y'all pick record variants if the only options are fancy color ones.

I'm gonna go with splatter. The split colors always look kinda uneven and jank to me. Same for the "blob" style. Just never dug it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

1. Do i like it? 2. How does it complement the album art? 3. Do I already have another record of that colour?

In this case I do already have a black spatter on red, but I really like it, and a split sounds less interesting. Without seeing the album art, I'm leaning towards the former as well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

basically always splatter

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Ballz posted:

On the topic of pre-orders and box sets, I somehow resisted temptation in pre-ordering that Cowboy Bebop box set and only have a slight bit of FOMO regret!

I hate you so much right now for breaking this news to me. I'm real close to pulling the trigger but I wish the places carrying it wouldn't charge until it shipped

gently caress, what do I do

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

hexwren posted:

:hmmyes:

Also good sale over at https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/collections/fall-sale-2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
The website selling Girl Talk vinyl seems to be live again.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Hey my Dethklok box set finally shipped!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Couple of Tats albums arrived today...long live city pop. :hai:

hexwren posted:

This is usually my route as well!

pwn posted:

Without seeing the album art, I'm leaning towards the former as well.

It's Sable Covenant by Oblique Occasions. :)

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Bought some stuff recently. Some pre-orders from June/July showed up this month, grabbed some other stuff online, and some impulse buys at Dearborn Music.

I was most excited for The Blood Brothers because I didn't even know it had a release in like August, and it was sold out online at a few retailers but then I just happened to see online that my local record store had it, so I ordered it for pickup immediately.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah Blood Brothers. Burn, Piano Island, Burn was one of the first records I picked up when I started picking up vinyl on a whim before I had a player. Bought it with a copy of Captain Beefheart's Lick My Decals Off, Baby.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I also got two classics I'm missing: Bitchs Brew by Miles Davis and Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest. :dance:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Modern Baseball is pretty great, guess I didn't realize they had any vinyl releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yo yo, what are the size of Bankers Boxes for records, 'cause I absolutely bought the wrong ones. :v:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Yo yo, what are the size of Bankers Boxes for records, 'cause I absolutely bought the wrong ones. :v:
You're in PDX yeah? I used to grab boxes here.
https://cartononline.com/
17.5" x 12.5" x 12.5"
https://cartononline.com/17-3-4x12-1-2x12-1-2-auto-lock-1-54-cf-102-384.html
Great moving boxes that have lasted 3 moves. Mine have handles though.

This thread makes me spend money.

Kongas is Cerrone's early band. All of this (except Gravediggas) was pretty cheap, $5 each. Took a chance on a discogs seller who warned that VG albums could be kind of beat up but other than the covers being separated they were all pretty immaculate.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so they're rerererereleasing the Beatles' red and blue compilations...

...as 3LP sets. basically inflating each to 150% length

at that point, why?

if you want the original running order, you get the earlier releases

if you want more of those comps, just get the records

who is this for

pwn
May 27, 2004

Beatles crap is going to keep being rereleased until there is no longer a market for it. Gotta beef up Paul McCartney's great-great-great grandchildren's retirement fund

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Beatles crap is going to keep being rereleased until there is no longer a market for it. Gotta beef up Paul McCartney's great-great-great grandchildren's retirement fund

You can get the new song on 7" for only $18! Good lord it has an ugly sleeve.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Thanks, Sporklift! This is the first move I've done with a big record collection and oh man, gently caress records lol.

Also: goddamn, this is so dank. :fap:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pwn posted:

One reason I've been seeing is that, by remixing the music, it will get the current generation interested in it. I doubt this is true.

Lennon was a fan of finding bootlegs containing outtakes and alternate versions because he felt the finished product was too polished. I have a bunch of bootlegs and it is interesting hearing how the songs evolve. I have heard remixes of previous releases (The White Album, Abbey Road, etc) and I guess I just don't have the ear for it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mister Kingdom posted:

One reason I've been seeing is that, by remixing the music, it will get the current generation interested in it. I doubt this is true.

Lennon was a fan of finding bootlegs containing outtakes and alternate versions because he felt the finished product was too polished. I have a bunch of bootlegs and it is interesting hearing how the songs evolve. I have heard remixes of previous releases (The White Album, Abbey Road, etc) and I guess I just don't have the ear for it.

Nothing is ever going to sound better than a 1st or 2nd press original UK or German through a decent hi-fi system (though I'll admit the remixes get higher marks on the car test).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Nothing is ever going to sound better than a 1st or 2nd press original UK or German through a decent hi-fi system (though I'll admit the remixes get higher marks on the car test).

There's a YouTube channel - Parlogram Auctions - that compares various versions of the Beatles' albums. I had no idea there were so many variations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hexwren posted:

so they're rerererereleasing the Beatles' red and blue compilations...

...as 3LP sets. basically inflating each to 150% length

at that point, why?

if you want the original running order, you get the earlier releases

if you want more of those comps, just get the records

who is this for

For no one.

Is not included on this expanded compilation, and is therefore garbage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

For those of you that got into the band Acetone because of the recent compilation release: they're releasing their entire discography on vinyl as both individual albums and as a boxed set.

If you haven't heard them, they're excellent 90s alternative slowcore. Even if that description doesn't get you excited, give them a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7o1E5sK6XM&t=1s