Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'd bet a nominal amount of money that Chesebro has copious notes because he's a titanic nerd with absolute poo poo judgement.

Did you see the NYT article from 2 days ago? He's writing emails that basically go, "I'm definitely not acting as a lawyer so none of this is protected and also I think its criminal stuff were doing!", So yeah, it's likely all meticulously written down and he maybe even has audio tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

LOL if that is all he gets then he is getting off incredibly lightly!

He should at least have to eat 1 felony charge and go away for 5yr at a minimum.

The felony + time away would mean by the time he got out his chances of restarting his bullshit political games will be greatly diminished and limited.

As is he'll be ending up just like loving Bannon.

Its the way it goes in this sort of situation when you are going after a mob kingpin, or Trump. You start low, tell all the underlings you have them dead to rights for serious felonies, and maybe at first they hold firm, but the first traitor gets the best deal. Sidney Powell got a great deal. Cheesebro got a deal that was pretty good, but not as good as Sidney's. The other rats know they are screwed now and are all probably wondering how bad their deal will be if they don't run to the state to confess now.

Eventually the deals will get to "the rest of you who have not yet talked to us are definitely going to prison, the only question is how long?"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, as a legal layman it seems like if two lawyers have flipped in a rico case trump's only hope at this point is either a bad faith chud on the jury or the supreme court throwing him a lifeline on some crazy executive privilege theory of essentially it's not a crime if the president does it

I mean, to be fair, they are very bad at their job so one could be excused for not wanting to just accept their judgement on legal matters compared to if they were almost any other lawyer

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 20, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the hell does a defense even look like now for Trump?

In terms of public opinion, yeah I know the answer is just "lie", but the hell are they gonna do in the Chutkan case? The legal equivalent of curling up into the fetal position?

Jury nullification essentially. Yell a lot and hope you have a chud on the jury who will vote to acquit regardless. Then you have a hung jury and you repeat until either you run into a chudless jury or Trump gets elected and pardons himself. Once President there is a decent constitutional argument barring state level prosecution under federal supremacy doctrine (states can't interfere with the function of the federal government).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

Did you see the NYT article from 2 days ago? He's writing emails that basically go, "I'm definitely not acting as a lawyer so none of this is protected and also I think its criminal stuff were doing!", So yeah, it's likely all meticulously written down and he maybe even has audio tapes.

:ssh:I don’t make bets if I can lose.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jury nullification essentially. Yell a lot and hope you have a chud on the jury who will vote to acquit regardless. Then you have a hung jury and you repeat until either you run into a chudless jury or Trump gets elected and pardons himself. Once President there is a decent constitutional argument barring state level prosecution under federal supremacy doctrine (states can't interfere with the function of the federal government).

He's gunna request a "Necessity" defense lol

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Even if that argument were to prevail, wouldn't it just toll the statutes until he was out of office again?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuschia tude posted:

Even if that argument were to prevail, wouldn't it just toll the statutes until he was out of office again?

In the very long term we're all dead anyway. I'm sure Trump's plan in that situation would simply be to never leave office.

Nobody, not even his supporters, think Trump is innocent. Everyone knows he's constantly doing crimes. His supporters just think that's cool and good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fuschia tude posted:

I don’t think “out of office again” is a thing he ever plans to be.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Judge Engoron just announced that he decided to fine Trump $5,000, but won't hold him in contempt for violating the gag order.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Presumably the fraud defense in New York is going for the antagonize the court hard enough that slip up and say/do something they can win a mistrial appeal on.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Judge Engoron just announced that he decided to fine Trump $5,000, but won't hold him in contempt for violating the gag order.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1715451567715860585

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Asproigerosis posted:

Presumably the fraud defense in New York is going for the antagonize the court hard enough that slip up and say/do something they can win a mistrial appeal on.

Not as crazy as it might sound. I've seen lawyers deliberately piss off judges just to try to look like the victim in front of the jury, too.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Like I know Trump's finances are probably taking a hit with all these trials going on but come on really a $5000 fine? Trump probably wipes his rear end with $5000.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I bet Trump is that mytical guy who doesn't wipe his rear end because "it's gay"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Real “in its majestic equality” moment here. This might as well be nothing.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Gross as it is to contemplate, from Trump's perspective rallying the subscribers to his cult of personality is probably well worth $5,000.

I mean, if some salesman literally offered to rally his base in exchange for 5 grand I think he'd easily choose to buy the service.

And later screw the seller by refusing to pay the invoice lololol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it was the twitter case where the judge initially ruled for a pretty puny fine that eventually became a couple hundred thousand, and very quickly could have become larger than the gdp of the US.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Like I know Trump's finances are probably taking a hit with all these trials going on but come on really a $5000 fine? Trump probably wipes his rear end with $5000.
The judge literally described it as a „nominal“ fine. The goal isn’t to hurt financially, but as a slap on the wrist because the judge chose to believe the explanation that not deleting the post on the website was accidental (it was deleted on Truth Social).

vvvvvvv
Exactly.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 20, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I assume the nominal fine is one more step on the "I'm building a paper trail of your contempt of court for future use" escalator.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I assume the nominal fine is one more step on the "I'm building a paper trail of your contempt of court for future use" escalator.

The nominal fine is because nobody is willing to do the things actually required to stop him from violating judicial orders.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There’s a ton of eyeballs on this, as we’re getting into uncharted legal waters, and I imagine they don’t want to drop on the ball on some technicality.

I mean, you may be right if we get to violation 50 and the judge says this time they’re actually going to slap his wrist instead of just threatening to do so

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
DC Circuit shot down the Robertson appeal

I don't think it's come up often in the thread, but a Jan6'er appealed his obstruction conviction with a focus on two theories:

One was that the jury was improperly instructed on the meaning of "Corruptly" as an element of obstruction charges. His preferred definition required the act to be done dishonestly and with a hope or expectation of financial benefit to oneself or one's associate. There are a number of Jan 6 folks (and unindicted coconspirators with Trump) who were watching this one closely and hoping his definition would prevail - specifically the "dishonestly" portion, which they theorized would bring back a sincere belief Trump had won as a defense. The majority stance?

quote:

Robertson's contention that his definition of "Corruptly" is the sole and exclusive meaning of that term finds no support in the text, structure, or context of the statute, and is inconsistent with relevant precedents
:yikes:

Second, benefits. "My preferred candidate is elected president", holds many eager onlookers, isn't a benefit for the purposes of the obstruction charge because if it were, the element would be so broad as to be worthless. Here, this also found purchase with the dissenting (Republican appointed) judge. The dissent holds that dicta from previous concurrences has transmogrified in to a holding this Court is bound by. After slapping around that concept for a minute, the majority has a little fun

quote:

The dissent claims that we are bound by Judge Walker's view that "corruptly" requires the defendant to act with the intent of obtaining an unlawful benefit for himself or another.

[...]

Judge Walker reasoned [...] "it might be enough for the government to prove the defendant used illegal means (like assaulting police officers) with the intent to procure a benefit (the Presidency) for another person (Donald Trump)"
This closes another door for the folks hoping for a mass overturning of Jan6 convictions and a halt to trials. It also continues to pile dirt on the sincerely held belief defense, not that it will stop folks from trying it.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The nominal fine is because nobody is willing to do the things actually required to stop him from violating judicial orders.
As DTurtle notes, it seems Engoron relied on Hanlon and determined that Trump and his team are sloppy blithering idiots rather than conspiring to subtly undermine the court's authority by only partially complying with his order. That's not unreasonable, especially given what we've seen about diligence in the NYAG's filings and reports from the monitor. It also would not have been prevented by "do[ing] the things actually required" to guarantee compliance. He has not violated the original protective order in DC. He has not violated any pretrial orders (to the extent there are any?) in Florida. He has not violated Chutkan's latest order.

"We're restricting your rights preemptively because we suspect you may do something impermissible later" is generally and for good reason frowned upon in these settings, regardless of the target.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Simplex posted:

I think it was the twitter case where the judge initially ruled for a pretty puny fine that eventually became a couple hundred thousand, and very quickly could have become larger than the gdp of the US.
that fine compounded by day. this is a one time foof.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InsertPotPun posted:

that fine compounded by day. this is a one time foof.

for the moment; his language at the end of the order for "if your conduct doesn't improve I'm going to keep doing sanctions and you'll Iike those a lot less" is p strong for judge-ese

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
As we've been over many times before, the court system is hitting him with kid gloves out of an abundance of caution so if they ever do hit him with something harder, no one can say they threw the book at him as a personal vendetta thing.

But he will say it anyway, and millions of his dumbass followers will believe it. Yet they continue to give him every possible courtesy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump will live in poo poo talking central the next few days

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1715459813595889972
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1715483191333507100

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kinda nerve wracking that this whole thing might come down to voir dire.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Kinda nerve wracking that this whole thing might come down to voir dire.

Voiry dire indeed :smith:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

"We're restricting your rights preemptively because we suspect you may do something impermissible later" is generally and for good reason frowned upon in these settings, regardless of the target.

Again, he’s done many impermissible things already. But for some reason even though they could be taken notice of, since they are very well documented, they aren’t.

In not holding Trump to the same standards as everyone else he is in fact being given extra special treatment.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Do these guilty pleas make it more likey that Trump's trial will happen on time?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

Again, he’s done many impermissible things already. But for some reason even though they could be taken notice of, since they are very well documented, they aren’t.

In not holding Trump to the same standards as everyone else he is in fact being given extra special treatment.

No, he's being held to the same standards as everyone else in his tier. I don't know why everyone keeps acting surprised that the US Justice System comes in two tiers, and wondering why the rich guy former President isn't being treated like a poor and weak normal person.

Should there be two tiers? No, but that's the reality we live in. As such it's weird that people keep expecting Donald "45" Trump to be treated with the same disrespect shown to someone with a public defender.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's not that I don't expect it; it's that the disparity is worth highlighting.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Gyges posted:

No, he's being held to the same standards as everyone else in his tier. I don't know why everyone keeps acting surprised that the US Justice System comes in two tiers, and wondering why the rich guy former President isn't being treated like a poor and weak normal person.

Should there be two tiers? No, but that's the reality we live in. As such it's weird that people keep expecting Donald "45" Trump to be treated with the same disrespect shown to someone with a public defender.

There's a difference between "horrified" and "surprised".

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There are two types of people in this country, those that brush their teeth afford bail, and those that don’t.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised more of the Georgia people haven’t plead out. Lots of small fish in there who I’m sure can’t afford a lawyer for the giant omnibus case with Trump. I would certainly take a misdemeanor probation just to get it done with, especially since they are generally first offense white collar crimes,

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I bet Trump is that mytical guy who doesn't wipe his rear end because "it's gay"

Absolutely. Having a bathroom attendant do it for you puts all homosexual ideation on the underling and keeps you 100% hetero.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smackfu posted:

Surprised more of the Georgia people haven’t plead out. Lots of small fish in there who I’m sure can’t afford a lawyer for the giant omnibus case with Trump. I would certainly take a misdemeanor probation just to get it done with, especially since they are generally first offense white collar crimes,

yeah i think we're going to see more low-level dominos fall relatively quickly. if i was one of those Coffee County guys that isn't famous i would want to get the gently caress out of this trial while it's still possible to get out of likely prison time via cooperation, because that opportunity may disappear eventually

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

smackfu posted:

As we saw with Powell and Chesebro, the pressure doesn't really build on them until the trial date is imminently looming and they've lost all their procedural motions. They generally have Trump-provided lawyers who get them out on bail, it's not like they're sitting in jail for the next six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

smackfu posted:

Trump is at a point where the people he surrounds himself with either think they’re smart enough to beat the system or still buy into Trump’s mythology as an invincible übermensch.

So either hubris or idolatry. They’ll imagine grand schemes or 12th dimensional scenarios to keep the faith that everything will work out…until they’re finally in a cell.

So yeah, a few people are self-preserving enough to flip, but you’ll have a fair amount that will go down to the bitter end.