Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Wait, how did you figure out which 4 you were missing? Is there a list somewhere in the game that shows you what you've done and their shrine names, or did you manually go through the map and make a list and then correlate that with whatever you looked up? :catstare:

I used this interactive map and physically marked off which ones I had completed by looking both at my TV screen and my web browser screen. When you mark off what you have completed the interactive map will actually take the completed shrine off the map so you can easily look at what is still there.

My final shrine was Tenmaten Shrine in the Elma Knolls North Northwest of Hyrule Castle. You have to go into a well a bit southwest of the shrine to get into a cave where it's located. I would have never have found it otherwise as the well is in a tiny ruin that I would have passed by without noticing. The shrine beforehand I had to do was part of a quest given to me by a Yiga blade master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I used this interactive map and physically marked off which ones I had completed by looking both at my TV screen and my web browser screen. When you mark off what you have completed the interactive map will actually take the completed shrine off the map so you can easily look at what is still there.
Interesting. I'll remember this when I get tired of organically looking.
#FridayCrewReps :getin:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cheesus posted:

A couple of years ago I received Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity as a gift and never played until last night. It's pretty wild. That it uses almost all media resources from BOTW but packages them in a completely different way was incredibly disorienting at first. Thirty minutes into it, I didn't think I could get into it after BOTW/TOTK, but nope, I'm hooked, if not so much the gameplay but the story. Kudos to the team for building some post-BOTW heartstrings like King Dorephan telling Mipha she can pilot Vah Ruta only if she promises to come back safely.

I think Hyrule Warriors: AoC, BoTW and ToTK are the best game trilogy to encapsulate a post apocalyptic event in a game series ever. BoTW set up the melancholy air of survivors just kind of skirting along the outskirts of a zone rouge filled with genocidal robots.

Hyrule Warriors actually does a good job of showing how the scale of those battles went. The allied hyrulian armies desperately trying to stop the calamity armies and getting their asses stomped shows just how bad things went. The drop in population from Hyrule Warrior to BOTW gives a good example of how wrecked society became. Like I think 80% of the population probably died(I know the game styles are different but it makes sense in my mind).

ToTK shows people actually rebuilding, society coming together, and then this bullshit with Ganon comes along. Well the Hyrulians are loving tired of it. They had a hundred years of hiding, telling their children not to go into fields where the spider bots roam. Now they're putting on old armor, theyre scavenging rusted weaponry and they are going to FIGHT. I really like the monster crew quests for that reason alone, but you can also see this when the various races gather at Lookout Point to muster against Ganon. I do wish there could have been a battle to hold the Point at the end of the game, but the battle for Gerudo Town and the Bazaar were excellent.

I know Musou games aren't for everyone, but if you enjoy the Zelda series for just story alone, looking at the alternate history of Hyrule Warriors is excellent.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

eightysixed posted:

Wait, how did you figure out which 4 you were missing? Is there a list somewhere in the game that shows you what you've done and their shrine names, or did you manually go through the map and make a list and then correlate that with whatever you looked up? :catstare:

Also, there's a lightroot under every single shrine on the surface, so you can flip back and forth between your Depths map and your surface map and use that to figure out which lightroots/shrines you're missing. This doesn't help with the shrines in the sky, but those are... somewhat harder to miss.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Picayune posted:

Also, there's a lightroot under every single shrine on the surface, so you can flip back and forth between your Depths map and your surface map and use that to figure out which lightroots/shrines you're missing. This doesn't help with the shrines in the sky, but those are... somewhat harder to miss.

One thing that helped me was snapping a picture of a blupee for my sensor +. Odds are the shrines you are missing are underground, so you need to find the cave entrance. A blupee is always by a cave entrance so that will lead you to the entrance.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Picayune posted:

I actually did know this one :)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I thought I'd found all light roots (to ensure finding all surface shrines) at least four times.

(I also hadnt looked up how many total there were and wasn't paying very close attention to my loading screen)

I finally saw a video of 'what happens when you find all light roots. I "knowingly" started watching it thinking "Hah, you don't get anything!" and was flabbergasted by the ending. drat some of those were hard to find!

Given that loss of confidence, I expected a full week of frustrated the remaining shrines even with light roots. I randomly hit up some sky shrines above Gerudo and was legitimately surprised when I realized that the light puzzle in the ball was my final.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I _think_ I found all the shrines without looking anything up, and if that's the case, it's the first time I've done so in any Zelda game. It's definitely the first time I've gotten all the Heart/Stamina upgrades before beating the game the first time.

I didn't have to look up any lightroots or caves, but I did have to look up the final well.

My current course of action is popping in and filling out the remaining compendium pictures. I'm down to primarily pristine weapons, so I'm running around shoving the trash weapons out of the ghost hands so they can hopefully respawn the weapons I'm looking for.

I also like to get pictures of the weapons propped up naturally in the world, so hoverstones have been a godsend for getting good shots of the pristine weapons in the hands of the Ghost Soldiers.

I used Ultrahand to glue a lot of monster materials to wood to get good shots of them. That's been... okay. The glue globs are much larger on some materials. But what I _should_ have done is fuse the materials to a suitable weapon (unsure which one at this point, possibly should use one of the spears) and ultrahand that somewhere that I can take a good shot.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:laffo:
I forgot about that thing, thank you for showing off its tactical capabilities :patriot:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about it too, until I stumbled across someone's video comparing the trailers to the actual game. and realized how unsuited it was for its ostensible task.

It also rides extremely low on its wheels , like it's constantly in danger of bottoming out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

While searching for the last shrines I found 2 tiiiiiny spots in the underworld that are not light up- which is baffling because I've activated all the lightroots as far as I can tell? I have to go check them out.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends, I am looking for helpful general tips, strategies, etc! Is there a resource for ToTK 101?

Googling for tips is garbage because everything is a long form article that often contains spoilers and other too-specific information.

I’ve only beat two temples and I have done very few side quests. I have unlocked everything on the abilities wheel.

I feel like I’m not making nearly enough use of crafting and fusing in the game. One reason is that I use the elixir effects to make it so I can last in harsh environments and Link can only have one buff at a time.

To this point I’ve only played sparingly and with long gaps between sessions. This means that I kind of forget the basic stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

While searching for the last shrines I found 2 tiiiiiny spots in the underworld that are not light up- which is baffling because I've activated all the lightroots as far as I can tell? I have to go check them out.

They are probably little arena spots where you'll fight respawning encounters with versions of what were earlier boss-level fights? Or perhaps some of the coliseum encounters that unlock specific items of gear?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi friends, I am looking for helpful general tips, strategies, etc! Is there a resource for ToTK 101?

Googling for tips is garbage because everything is a long form article that often contains spoilers and other too-specific information.

I’ve only beat two temples and I have done very few side quests. I have unlocked everything on the abilities wheel.

I feel like I’m not making nearly enough use of crafting and fusing in the game. One reason is that I use the elixir effects to make it so I can last in harsh environments and Link can only have one buff at a time.

To this point I’ve only played sparingly and with long gaps between sessions. This means that I kind of forget the basic stuff.

Pretty much everything does something on an arrow, different horns have different hammer types which you can tell by how they look, spears are good now but spin to win with something big is still the winner, let yourself be precious about one or two weapons but use the rest without reservation and with whatever seems like a fun idea

Basically you should be fusing all the time and itll come to you. Always grab keese eyes and shoot bombs into swarms you see, they're handy to have if you ever just want to trivially defeat anything

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It gives you a little prize when you get all the lightroots, so if you didn't get a pop-up thing saying so, you don't have all the lightroots. And the last couple have a pretty small dark area (the radii overlap and the map is revealed if any of them are activated). So I suspect that you actually have two lightroots remaining.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hey TFF buddy

If you are having trouble with harsh environments, prioritize getting 1-2 of the armor pieces that resist said environment. I cannot overstate how nice it is to just run around and not have a timer ticking til you have to eat your next cold/heat/sun resist meal. Sounds like you are not averse to googling so just look up where to get said armor. Agree that most TOTK appears to be ChatGPT generated poo poo but welcome to 2023. For the most part it is just bought for rupees in the main town of each area. If you cannot afford it, smashing rocks and killing Talus for gems are an easy money maker. Don't sell your Amber though cause you will want a fuckton of it for armor, see below.

You can also combine gems with shields to resist environmental damage :ninja:

You should always have something fused to your weapon. It's free damage. If nothing else you should have like a billion bokoblin horns of various colors?

If you feel like you take a ton of damage, the easiest thing is to buy the 3 pieces of armor in Lookout Landing and upgrade them to max level via the great faeries. It only requires very easy to find stuff and a bunch of rupees. Once you get there very few things hit you for more than 1 heart of damage at a time. This is where you will need a billion pieces of Amber.

Do the main quests (the ones other than regional anomalies and finding Zelda) and Side Adventures. They will increase your power level a lot when you finish up

Don't treat the game like it's survival horror and every single resource matters. If you break a weapon or run out of food or whatever it's fine, you can easily replace it naturally by just playing. I am a huge hoarder in video games and when I finally gave myself permission to just use up all my poo poo the game became a lot more fun and less stressful.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 20, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Not only is fusion free damage, in almost all weapon cases, it's also extra durability.

It also is a way with dealing with properties of certain weapons.

"If anyone here has any reason why the Master Sword and this Gloom Sword should not be joined temporarily in Unholy Fusimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

**panicked electronic noises**

"I'm sorry, that does not count as speaking. I now pronounce you Gloom-Sword-Sword!"

maltesh fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 20, 2023

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, always have something fused, even if it's just a rock or Bokoblin horn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOe4spSahY

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Like others have said, make a point to get used to fusing things to arrows. Some are situationally helpful (splash fruit against gibdos) but others are very generally applicable to any encounter (muddle buds for groups of enemies).

As for crafting, while I've loved watching videos of insane and inspired builds, crafting was not something that came naturally to me to do during the game except when the story demanded it, so I was very much stuck in my BOTW way of just fighting enemies "head on". I'd just fight monsters with fused weapons/arrows and learn the "steps" for defeating the bigger enemies. Some I found trivial like Hinox. I managed to clear out the floating coliseum without crafting, but my aim is serviceable at best and found it difficult/frustrating to coordinate my combos correctly.

It was farming Lynels and Gleeoks to upgrade the Ancient Heros Aspect armor that I had a major "WTF am I doing?" moment. Not only had I found all the light roots, I purposefully and intentionally mined zonite I could find to fully upgrade my energy well (my original idea to do stupid crafting after finishing the game). I wouldn't say I ever felt like I was "cheating" to use Zonai devices to help, it simply never occurred to me. So I spent an evening creating my own hoverstone + construct head + beam emitter array and put that at the top of my Autobuild favorites. That was my personal "secret sauce" for fighting Lynels and Gleeoks (and came in amazingly handy against Ganon's Army at the end).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hit credits last night. I've never had such a turn-around on a game before. First few hours were really rough for me. It being a case of not adjusting to the rhythm of the game, not having a ton of resources and maybe trying to do some thing that I should have waited on (exploring the depths) but after that initial hump I really got into the game. Like when people talked about Breath when it came out I was scratching my head, I certainly liked that game but when people talked about it they went on about how it's one of the greatest games ever made - I never felt that. But I think I get that feeling now with this game. It's supremely well done. The issues I talked about never went away (durability, lots of added busywork, ect.) but the world felt more realized and filled with things to do, the side content was more impactful and often more involved, the story was very good (on par with the first game's of which I always really liked) though it did suffer a bit with the end of each dungeon: the sages essentially all said the same thing and it was tedious. They had an opportunity to give you a little background on themselves and how the ancient versions of the races lived or whatever but it just told the same story with very, very little variation.

Overall a fantastic game. A lot of the issues I had with the first game were fixed up and I really did feel like exploring because I knew I was going to find something interesting to do or see which is something I didn't really get from the first game - I liked exploring around for a little while but I never felt like I was super rewarding. Just the simple thing of a piece of debris falling from the sky and landing near me made me feel compelled to run up to it and reverse time it to see where it went. If it went nowhere then I had a great view of my surroundings and can get somewhere new easier. I did miss my silly blue bombs, though. Instead of having a map shortcut in the powers menu it should have been bombs!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 20, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
100% agree on the bombs. I missed those a lot! They were my favorite thing for fighting Hinoxes etc. Get somewhere high and rain 'em down.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I felt similar in that I didn’t like the first few hours very much. Link is so helpless, the shittiest monster can 1-2 shot you, your weapons are junk and you only have a couple at any time, you have no money or arrows or resources. The map was so immense it was overwhelming. I just don’t really dig Zelda the survival game

Absolutely worth pushing through though. Once you’re past that opening act where you don’t have poo poo and get established, everything just gets better and better

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Jimbot posted:

the sages essentially all said the same thing and it was tedious. They had an opportunity to give you a little background on themselves and how the ancient versions of the races lived or whatever but it just told the same story with very, very little variation.
I don't understand why they were all wearing masks. It was like the development team could not be bothered to spend 5 minutes to come up with any way to differentiate them with their modern day or even BOTW counterparts.

They might as well have been less than constructs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cheesus posted:

I don't understand why they were all wearing masks. It was like the development team could not be bothered to spend 5 minutes to come up with any way to differentiate them with their modern day or even BOTW counterparts.

They might as well have been less than constructs.

For a while I was hoping that the weird backwards sounds and the masks would lead to some kind of creepy cool reveal (like a Twilight realm connection people were speculating pre launch) but no it was just aesthetic.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You might say that the Sages masks looking exactly like the Divine Beasts suggests the Shekah took inspiration from them, I thought it was a pretty obvious connection myself.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://x.com/chocrab_1226/status/1716764339968057506?s=20

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Moblin can dunk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's.... that's a war crime..... :stonklol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That's.... that's a war crime..... :stonklol:

Is it time for a new thread title :lol:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Docjowles posted:

Is it time for a new thread title :lol:

Yes it is but partially because Jerusalem bought my platinum way back when.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

An ethics scandal hitting the Zelda thread of all places, I did not see that coming :munch:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I found the very last drat light root yesterday. I think I'm done. I finished the main boss a month or so back, the final shrine the other week. I'm not really compelled to do anything else. Maybe it's because I would continuously play BoTW now and then for around 6 years, but honestly I just have no real desire to go back to ToTK like I did Breath. ToTK had a much more compelling story when it comes to Zelda and the back story is great; better final boss, etc. but in the end it just doesn't hold the same place in my heart as BoTW.

Great game though and worth the wait.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I found the very last drat light root yesterday. I think I'm done. I finished the main boss a month or so back, the final shrine the other week. I'm not really compelled to do anything else. Maybe it's because I would continuously play BoTW now and then for around 6 years, but honestly I just have no real desire to go back to ToTK like I did Breath. ToTK had a much more compelling story when it comes to Zelda and the back story is great; better final boss, etc. but in the end it just doesn't hold the same place in my heart as BoTW.

Great game though and worth the wait.

Thought I was done, then decided to upgrade all the armor, which as it turns out sucks (gently caress lizalfos tails forever), but because I started it, I would be a fool to stop.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Thought I was done, then decided to upgrade all the armor, which as it turns out sucks (gently caress lizalfos tails forever), but because I started it, I would be a fool to stop.

Yeah I've been upgrading but not all of them. Frankly I never even found the gloom hat (since I have Midna's helmet it wasn't a super priority). The only armor I was really after for a long time was the Aspect of the Ancient Hero which I like though. In the end I always leave my Hylian gear died black on except when I need specific effects like anti-cold etc.

I do have to say I like that Ceecee allowed you to put the hood down on that particular outfit.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I just finished the game yesterday (yes I am aware I have bought the game after it's no longer topical) Did 146 shrines, and the full ending and all that jazz. It was excellent but it definitely has some kinks to work out.

1: Namely it suffers from it being BotW with the new gameplay features being added on top instead of the game being designed around those features. Making constructs/vehicles in particular were pointless outside occasionally putting a fan on a glider/plank or cheesing the depths/sky/cliff areas with the Hoverbike. Just running up and whacking stuff with your sword and bow is always faster, more effective, and costs less resources than any contraption you could make, and you won't have to spend 30 minutes in your inventory and Ultrahand to make it either. Even when you only have one stamina wheel things like navigating terrain and climbing are faster and less cumbersome if you just use brute force instead of using any of the new systems. By the time you've finagled wheels onto something, flipped it over, crashed because a wheel was on backwards, rebuilt it, crashed again because vehicles handle rough terrain about as well as the horses, then finally get it right and start moving, you'd have already arrived and finished the shrine had you just zigzag-walked up the hill. Just fusing a rocket to your shield was better than 99% of solutions.

2: I waffle on Fusion being brilliant or bad. On the one hand It solved BotW's problem of the weapon resource loop breaking in the mid to late game, or at least made it last a lot longer before breaking, And shield fusions in particular had a lot of fun and useful gimmicks. On the other the UI for it is so terrible since you can't do it from the menu, you have to awkwardly drop Items around and and switch between each weapon from another menu before selecting fuse from a THIRD menu and finally you have fused a single weapon/shield.

3: The plot in addition to being a very standard Zelda plot, was surreally bizarre. Some new badguy shows up named Ganon just like Ganon, controls the Bloodmoon just like Ganon, Spills the same spooky health draining red-purple smoke over everything as Ganon, Has the same backstory as Ganon, etc. And at no point does a single character say "Wait a minute so is this the guy from five years ago?". The game also can't seem to decide whether Link was a completionist who 100%'ed BotW who everyone personally knows or if he was some speedrunner who killed Ganon with 3 Hearts and never met a single NPC.

4: Justice for Teba. Why'd he get replaced when all the other substitute heroes got to be sages?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MokBa posted:

Yes it is but partially because Jerusalem bought my platinum way back when.

Playing the long game (Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom) :smug:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

By the time you've finagled wheels onto something, flipped it over, crashed because a wheel was on backwards, rebuilt it, crashed again because vehicles handle rough terrain about as well as the horses, then finally get it right and start moving, you'd have already arrived and finished the shrine
This really is ridiculously frustrating, but the way you worded it made me actually laugh :v:
fake edit: the one wheel backwards thing is so true, though, but that's on us - user error :shobon:

real edit: helping the dude (whose name escapes me at the moment) fix his President signs or whatever is all sorts of hosed up. 100% of the ones I built after 5 tries has to be the wrong way they wanted you to do it.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 1, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair, that's only true before you get the ability to autobuild. At which point you just build something once and then slam out a new version of it as needed. And it's entirely possible to build a beast machine that handles wild terrain and goes a million miles an hour.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

galagazombie posted:

3: The plot in addition to being a very standard Zelda plot, was surreally bizarre. Some new badguy shows up named Ganon just like Ganon, controls the Bloodmoon just like Ganon, Spills the same spooky health draining red-purple smoke over everything as Ganon, Has the same backstory as Ganon, etc. And at no point does a single character say "Wait a minute so is this the guy from five years ago?". The game also can't seem to decide whether Link was a completionist who 100%'ed BotW who everyone personally knows or if he was some speedrunner who killed Ganon with 3 Hearts and never met a single NPC.

lol this drove me absolutely wild. Especially during the tear scenes, Zelda was never like, hmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

galagazombie posted:

So I just finished the game yesterday (yes I am aware I have bought the game after it's no longer topical) Did 146 shrines, and the full ending and all that jazz. It was excellent but it definitely has some kinks to work out.

1: Namely it suffers from it being BotW with the new gameplay features being added on top instead of the game being designed around those features. Making constructs/vehicles in particular were pointless outside occasionally putting a fan on a glider/plank or cheesing the depths/sky/cliff areas with the Hoverbike. Just running up and whacking stuff with your sword and bow is always faster, more effective, and costs less resources than any contraption you could make, and you won't have to spend 30 minutes in your inventory and Ultrahand to make it either. Even when you only have one stamina wheel things like navigating terrain and climbing are faster and less cumbersome if you just use brute force instead of using any of the new systems. By the time you've finagled wheels onto something, flipped it over, crashed because a wheel was on backwards, rebuilt it, crashed again because vehicles handle rough terrain about as well as the horses, then finally get it right and start moving, you'd have already arrived and finished the shrine had you just zigzag-walked up the hill. Just fusing a rocket to your shield was better than 99% of solutions.
[/spoiler]

Sounds like you suck at making contraptions. My best killbots (ten lasers and three ice emitters rotating on the second wheel on a homing cart) has much, much higher DPS than even my strongest weapons.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Poque posted:

lol this drove me absolutely wild. Especially during the tear scenes, Zelda was never like, hmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

The best part is that she did have a “hmmm” moment, during the Show of Fealty cutscene…but it was literally just “I got a funny feeling about this guy”, not even reflecting on his name or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah Tears tries pretty desperately to be both the sequel to BotW and a standalone game at the same time and is much worse off narratively for it.