Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Job application sites that have you upload your loving resume AND THEN INPUT ALL THE INFO MANUALLY ON SEVERAL PAGES.

I always felt like this was intentional with some companies. Like a weird power move, “how badly do you want this job?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

teen witch posted:

I always felt like this was intentional with some companies. Like a weird power move, “how badly do you want this job?”

That actually make sense, your % of sniveling and/or desperate applicants that make it through probably triples

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At one point McDonald's Japan had 5 different apps in active support each with a different capability.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Barudak posted:

At one point McDonald's Japan had 5 different apps in active support each with a different capability.

Guys, I don't think we survived that plane crash in 93. I think we're in hell.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Biplane posted:

That's stupid. Hell would be full of nazis.... oh poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Similarly, every competition that you see on food/drink/newspapers/etc that need you to download an sign upto an app just to check if you won.
loving data collections scamming bastards.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

The Mayan Calendar apocalypse happened in 2012, it was just a lot more subtle than people expected.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

kiminewt posted:

Discord just updated the design of their app. I don't use Discord that much but I just went in there and you can see so little information at the same time, and I hope you remember what each server's icon is! This is after I picked the minimalist design option.

This is why I'm sticking to IRC. IRCCloud gets it. I'm conversing with people - all I want is the text in my face

Like who looked at discord or slack and thought to themselves “There’s no way these companies won’t make this lovely as gently caress in a few years”

I guess it was a lot of people but shame on the whole loving internet for abandoning IRC, that poo poo was a loving marvel of engineering and nobody owned it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It actually stuns me how computer illiterate Gen Z is. I place this blame squarely on the race to the bottom that is phones, but holy poo poo it blows my mind that 'navigating a file system' is a lost loving art apparently.

Generations of people seem to be be skilled at whatever technology was kind of unreliable and complicated in their lifetimes. My dad knows a lot about cars because back in his day you had to get under the hood and fix them a lot. But now they're more reliable, people spend much less time working on their own cars, and most people probably can't change the oil in a car these days.

Similarly, I know a lot about computers because when I was younger they were fiddly and complicated and you had to spend a lot of time messing with settings and files to use them. But in a post iPhone/tablet world you don't really need to do that anymore.

So the more mature and reliable a given technology is the less skilled people have to be to use it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 21, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I get not knowing how to navigate a filesystem when you've never had to think about what files even are or using them outside of their associated app, but something I didn't notice until I was training people at work is how being able to type is a recurring generational skip thing. Lot of people around the age of my grandparents know how to type. Most people around the age of my parents hunt and peck because typing was only for computer dorks. I know how to type because I grew up around text adventures and the widespread adoption of home Internet access. Then teens of today know the QWERTY layout well but have no practice with typing on a physical keyboard instead of a touchscreen with predictive text.

So basically we're probably headed for desktop PCs that need a phone app to type on them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No, the next generation is using autocomplete bots to type and think

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

redshirt posted:

The Mayan Calendar apocalypse happened in 2012, it was just a lot more subtle than people expected.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
In 2016 Trump was elected and the Cubs won the world series. I don't think this is a coincidence

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Why didn’t we just leave that poor monkey alone :(

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Armacham posted:

In 2016 Trump was elected and the Cubs won the world series. I don't think this is a coincidence

:mods:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Every time I see people talking about how the youths don't understand computers, I think about how massively they overestimate the average computer using skills of their generation.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

wash bucket posted:

Generations of people seem to be be skilled at whatever technology was kind of unreliable and complicated in their lifetimes. My dad knows a lot about cars because back in his day you had to get under the hood and fix them a lot. But now they're more reliable, people spend much less time working on their own cars, and most people probably can't change the oil in a car these days.

Similarly, I know a lot about computers because when I was younger they were fiddly and complicated and you had to spend a lot of time messing with settings and files to use them. But in a post iPhone/tablet world you don't really need to do that anymore.

So the more mature and reliable a given technology is the less skilled people have to be to use it.

I get what you’re saying and it is true. But in 1989 you could glue a computer shut and sell it with a bunch of stuff that totally hid its most basic user functions. It just never caught on until it was an idea marketed by Apple.

I don’t know if its a mark of product maturity. Just that the internet hit a point where it appealed to stupid people and they needed something to use it. Before that they got online with wikipedia, some universities, magazines they never read anyhow and they decided computers were boring or stayed on myspace.

That said ios products are like peak product maturity and kudos to apple for having the discipline to not gently caress around a bunch for the past handful of releases.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 21, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Computers are largely an appliance now, the only problem with younger generations not knowing much about them is people thinking they should. There will always be experts and people who know more, but it's totally okay to not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kdrudy posted:

Computers are largely an appliance now, the only problem with younger generations not knowing much about them is people thinking they should. There will always be experts and people who know more, but it's totally okay to not.

business are freakin out!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I feel like one of the biggest issues with computers isn't necessarily literacy, but the type of user who has absolutely no control about clicking literally anything that even slightly catches their eye because they're completely incapable of critical thought.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Armacham posted:

time traveler tried to warn us

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

It actually stuns me how computer illiterate Gen Z is. I place this blame squarely on the race to the bottom that is phones, but holy poo poo it blows my mind that 'navigating a file system' is a lost loving art apparently.

A friend of mine has a 14 year old and she is constantly having to fix his computers poo poo. It's like the exact opposite of when our generation was 14 lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The plastic bottle that rubbing alcohol comes in is now thinner, flimsier and presumably cheaper. It also no longer airtight :nfpa:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The plastic bottle that rubbing alcohol comes in is now thinner, flimsier and presumably cheaper. It also no longer airtight :nfpa:

quoting to see the code for :nfpa: 👍

ps: pump bottles of soap and the like, the kind you have to twist around to open -- more than half seem to get stuck before popping out. I have to hold on to ones that have opened and swap them out into new bottles.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

my nieces have chromebooks from their school and they are computer literate enough to have figured out how to defeat the school filtering/monitoring software, which cracked me up

apparently the software for checking out ebooks has a legal disclaimer that opens an in-app, fully featured browser window that the monitoring software doesn't touch, so they just go there and then jump to tiktok/instagram/youtube

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

my nieces have chromebooks from their school and they are computer literate enough to have figured out how to defeat the school filtering/monitoring software, which cracked me up

apparently the software for checking out ebooks has a legal disclaimer that opens an in-app, fully featured browser window that the monitoring software doesn't touch, so they just go there and then jump to tiktok/instagram/youtube

The more things change

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

Here I would disagree. Computers are such massive force multipliers for a wide variety of problems and being able to unlock that is a huge deal, both for being able to solve problems for yourself and for the vast number of decent careers that can leverage (or straight-up require) it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Here I would disagree. Computers are such massive force multipliers for a wide variety of problems and being able to unlock that is a huge deal, both for being able to solve problems for yourself and for the vast number of decent careers that can leverage (or straight-up require) it.

being very familiar with 20+ year old hardware and operating systems has served me very well working in night shift manufacturing

computers aren't just appliances when you're running equipment that requires a specific model of Dell computer they stopped selling in 2002 to be working to, you know, finish production jobs

102123_3
Oct 21, 2023
why do i have to battle the terminator to exist?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

being very familiar with 20+ year old hardware and operating systems has served me very well working in night shift manufacturing

computers aren't just appliances when you're running equipment that requires a specific model of Dell computer they stopped selling in 2002 to be working to, you know, finish production jobs

10 years ago I worked in manufacturing and was horrified to realize an entire wing of the plant essentially ran on an ancient PC that booted software from a long defunct company off a 2.5" floppy drive.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wash bucket posted:

10 years ago I worked in manufacturing and was horrified to realize an entire wing of the plant essentially ran on an ancient PC that booted software from a long defunct company off a 2.5" floppy drive.

my chipmounters that Panasonic built in 1999 loaded software off 3.5" diskettes

the ERSA wave soldering machine was using ERSA industrial control software on a Dell from 2000 running a copy of Windows XP that lost validation

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

wash bucket posted:

You know what? That makes perfect sense, and I honestly never thought about it like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Just think, people are paid actual real money to design apps and interface systems. Like that's someone's job and this is the best they can come up with.

They are paid money to design and futz with them. If they stopped chsnging it when it worked well they would be out of a job

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tunicate posted:

They are paid money to design and futz with them. If they stopped chsnging it when it worked well they would be out of a job

they used to do this stuff better when it was called HCI and the practitioners came from fields like ergonomics. i met an old guy UX researcher who worked at Microsoft back in the day and he said they put way more effort into studies and integrating the findings. he complained that today UX research is just done to justify what management wanted to do anyway or to give the thinnest veneer of due diligence to a lovely PowerPoint (where it will appear on one or two slides if it supports the decision, and not appear at all if it does not).

I am not so sure it wasn't used back then for decision-based evidence making, but i really think the windows interface up to 2000 had a lot more thought put into it as something people had to use daily but also find discoverable and stuff for noobs.

I tried to set up windows 11 home last week (came with computer), nearly died, and just gave up on the idea of a windows partition :pt: it kinda ruined my day.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GolfHole posted:

Protip don't even bother with passwords at all. Put some random junk in there and just use the forgot password reset link whenever you need it. Bing bong infinite security.

Until you lose your phone and everything needs 2fa

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Some things (like navigating a file system) are just very important. I had to help someone who was completely clueless about how to get files off their almost completely broken smartphone without a specific kind of software that would copy files for them - which broke or didn't work on a certain computer anymore.

You can just plug the phone into your PC set it to USB file transfer, approach it like a USB stick, and copy the pictures from whatever folder you want in windows explorer.

I'm all for making things easier, but very often things don't in fact get easier when corporations try (or pretend) to make things easier for the user. Removing full file access to your own device is making things shittier.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

You can just plug the phone into your PC set it to USB file transfer, approach it like a USB stick, and copy the pictures from whatever folder you want in windows explorer.

Its true. All you have to do is make sure your USB phone cable can transfer data, enable the data transfer in your phone's developer's options, install the necessary drivers on the computer, plug in the phone, set Windows to open the phone as a drive instead of whatever arbitrary operation it feels like that day, dig through a preposterously organized file tree to figure out where your phone likes to save poo poo, click and drag, and then Bob's your uncle!

There are SO many potential snares in this process that weren't a thing 5-10 years ago. This poo poo is easy for us (goons) because we're part of the generation that saw a lot of this tech in it's infancy; we're used to troubleshooting and workarounds. Explain the above procedure to a tween or octogenarian and see how long it takes for their eyes to glaze over. This is for sure an intentional effort to sell more poo poo, I just don't understand what.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 21, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Its true. All you have to do is make sure your USB phone cable can transfer data, enable the data transfer in your phone's developer's options, install the necessary drivers on the computer, plug in the phone, set Windows to open the phone as a drive instead of whatever arbitrary operation it feels like that day, dig through a preposterously organized file tree to figure out where your phone likes to save poo poo, click and drag, and then Bob's your uncle!

There are SO many potential snares in this process that people don't think about. This poo poo is easy for us (goons) because we're part of the generation that saw a lot of this tech in it's infancy; we're used to troubleshooting and workarounds. Explain the above procedure to a tween or octogenarian and see how long it takes for their eyes to glaze over.

None of this poo poo should be considered acceptable or normal but since just enough of us learned computers in the 80s and 90s it is.

Industrial equipment for mass manufacturing shouldn't be permanently tied to irreplaceable hardware like loving motherboards that have to be specialty-manufactured with dwindling 30-year-old new-old stock but hey, here we are.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 21, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Modal, we live in the post-windows 98 era. I haven't installed USB drivers for storage media since i got windows XP, and all cables that aren't charge cables from Aliexpress goodies will transfer data, even the ones i get for €1,99 at some discount store.

Plug in phone. Tap the notification on the phone screen to choose USB file transfer. By default explorer pops up, and any vaguely standard phone has a folder DCIM for pictures and a bunch that are named after the app in which you can find app-specific downloads and such. Those are indeed organized very shittily, but for pictures and browser downloads (that reside in the 'downloads' folder) it works fine.

Even if you don't know about DCIM being the standard name for camera stuff, you can just figure it out by clicking around on the screen that pops up most often by default. Just clicking around (not to be confused with randomly deleting or modifying files) should not be considered a Special Skill and general curiosity and looking at things should just be part of how you raise people or of their education.

It's no different from organizing your offline stuff in a sensible way. I mean, i know some people just live in a hoarder's hellhole, but most people actually have some degree of organisation in their life. There's no reason why that doesn't make sense to use on digital platforms (and with that i don't mean Microsoft Bob and other stuff).

I hate it when software hides where my stuff is. Like the new windows camera app. I wanted to open a webcam video in a different program (adobe) because i wanted to cut out a snippet in Premiere or something, idk anymore. But it too me multiple minutes to figure out where it saves those things, because in the camera app it doesn't show it on right click/show file in folder.
There literally is no benefit in hiding it, except for forcing users to use default programs that the maker apparently makes money from or something.

Everyone is fine to choose the lovely interface of their preference, but don't make stuff hard for the rest of us.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LimaBiker posted:

Some things (like navigating a file system) are just very important. I had to help someone who was completely clueless about how to get files off their almost completely broken smartphone without a specific kind of software that would copy files for them - which broke or didn't work on a certain computer anymore.

I'm all for making things easier, but very often things don't in fact get easier when corporations try (or pretend) to make things easier for the user. Removing full file access to your own device is making things shittier.

the latest update to Kindles, I've read, (are starting to?) change the file transfer protocol from plain ol' USB Mass to MTP. (https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2023/09/01/kindle-scribe-now-supports-mtp-instead-of-usb-mass-storage-after-update/)

quote:

Using MTP is causing some issues for those that use Calibre to manage their ebook library because now the Scribe is being recognized as an MTP device instead of a Kindle, but hopefully things will get worked out soon.

It’s hard to see how this change benefits users at all. In fact it makes things more difficult in some ways. The question is why is Amazon suddenly and without any warning making this change? Something is going on behind the curtain that we don’t know about.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2023