Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

Something so physical about having to rip the husk off a coconut with my hands, then breaking it on a hard surface in such a way as to try and avoid spilling the milk inside, sipping it out, and peeling the white flesh from the inner halves.

Have you ever considered writing erotic fiction? You might be good at it.

It's expensive for "just a card game" but as you have described there is a lot to it and it justifies the cost, although you do have to work on groking the systems to make it anywhere. There's a thread for it if you would like to know more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of tactile sense, I did play the demo for Bootstrap Island on Steam. It's insanely short, so very hard to judge, and I got the distinct impression it's just gonna be a pretty linear narrative game with the occasional trapping of survival.
But the few interactions I had time to mess with felt very satisfying. Something so physical about having to rip the husk off a coconut with my hands, then breaking it on a hard surface in such a way as to try and avoid spilling the milk inside, sipping it out, and peeling the white flesh from the inner halves.

This reminds me that I broke out Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey the other day and that game is surprisingly fun for all of the depth that it lacks. I got to the point where I was reliably shanking crocodiles with sharp sticks and then kind of fell off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Definitely going to look into vintage story.

I didn't notice they added water to going medival finally.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
For just building I'd have to go with Conan and Valheim. Both let you do extremely detailed stuff and both have a creative mode (Conan's is just there in SP, Valheim you have to use console/debug iirc). 7DTD's A21 added a shitton of shapes, but it suffers from that "takes up a whole block no matter how big the actual shape is" so you end up with either wasted space where you can't put anything on a wall or weird floating blocks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Started watching Primitive Technology I want a survival game that's unapologetically granular. I understand that the tedium and repetition of most tasks doesn't translate to a very fun game but the detail, the work and the requirements, surely those could transition to a playable state somehow, even if it only appeals to select weirdos like me.
A friend was playing a game once and pointed out as he walked past a clothing line that it's one of those things that exists and is important in the world, but never to the player. Are there even any survival games where you have to dry your clothes? The Long Dark is the only one that comes to mind.

Anyway I would love granularity in a survival game that's more about action and crafting and less about a numerical readout of every vitamin in your body. I feel like VR is a pretty good venue for this sort of thing, where the tactile feeling could make small actions more engaging. But there's got to be something more involved than this.

UnReal World? I don't recall if it has a 'clothes wetness' system, but everything else is modelled in a highly detailed way. You might need to adjust a little to the tank controls, but once you do they're actually quite good for the game's combat. (Plus there are still strafe keys, so you can still end up moving around like you're used to with WASD - just has a different layout)

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Conan, if you fork over money for whichever building skin DLC packs strike your aesthetic. Some of my favorite, most comfy builds in a survival game I've done in there, and Conan is made for pve before pvp so it's actually fun solo. Has the problem of npc raids against your stuff, but that system tends to be rather jank and doesn't go off allot last I played, and spamming your own npc defenders can help you deal with it. Raid strength is based off build location only, so you can just build on newb river and never really need to worry much. Worth looking into mods for stuff too.

Valhiem is also really nice for making a cozy cabin, or a yurt. Love to make yurts. But it's building system is very permissive, which makes it rather unique, it's fine with you clipping things together for the most part so it gives you allot of freedom for shapes and details. Does also have the problem of raids against your stuff, that actually trigger frequently unlike Conan, and it's entirely you vs them. Raid strength is based of how many bosses you've killed, so can become problematic as you progress.

Raids in Conan are now started by you. They don't just happen, you have to make them happen.

Valheim now has difficulty settings that can be adjusted before and after world creation. One of those is Raid Frequency, which can be set to off.

I love the building in Valheim and you can do a lot with just the basic objects at the start.

e; both of the raid changes are pretty recent

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 19, 2023

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
SCUM has a clothing wetness system. It weighs more if it's wet, reducing your overall performance if it pushes your weight beyond a capacity you can comfortably carry. I've been basically caught in the rain before when already loaded down and being soaking wet absolutely ruined my stamina regeneration for the return trip to my base. I've also nearly drown myself by falling into some water and being over my weight limit to swim upwards. You also accumulate dirt from activities and having dirty clothing when you're wounded will cause the wounds to be infected, so you periodically should wash your gear.

Why yes, I did just get done playing that. Singleplayer at least - I had a lot of fun before running out of content (~20-30 hours) and my choice was to either play on a server with other people or call it good for now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did SCUM ever get around to adding AI "contestant"/Prisoner enemies for SP/Solo? They've been promising those since EA launch. Or are your enemy threats still limited to the zombies and robots?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did SCUM ever get around to adding AI "contestant"/Prisoner enemies for SP/Solo? They've been promising those since EA launch. Or are your enemy threats still limited to the zombies and robots?

Still zombos and robots. There's now bunkers with supermutants at least. Proper PMC-type AI enemies are still promised "soon".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vasudus posted:

Still zombos and robots. There's now bunkers with supermutants at least. Proper PMC-type AI enemies are still promised "soon".

Shame. I guess my (re)purchase will be "soon". :v:

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Vib Rib posted:

Started watching Primitive Technology I want a survival game that's unapologetically granular. I understand that the tedium and repetition of most tasks doesn't translate to a very fun game but the detail, the work and the requirements, surely those could transition to a playable state somehow, even if it only appeals to select weirdos like me.
A friend was playing a game once and pointed out as he walked past a clothing line that it's one of those things that exists and is important in the world, but never to the player. Are there even any survival games where you have to dry your clothes? The Long Dark is the only one that comes to mind.

Anyway I would love granularity in a survival game that's more about action and crafting and less about a numerical readout of every vitamin in your body. I feel like VR is a pretty good venue for this sort of thing, where the tactile feeling could make small actions more engaging. But there's got to be something more involved than this.

the 11th telling of A Tale in the Desert starts in 9 days. Flax processing! Flint knapping! Charcoal making! Foraging herbs!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bann posted:

the 11th telling of A Tale in the Desert starts in 9 days. Flax processing! Flint knapping! Charcoal making! Foraging herbs!

I haven't played since tale 4. Perhaps it is time to once again collect camel dung

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Vasudus posted:

Still zombos …
I hope these are creatures that walk around really chilled out saying you can do anything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh, I totally forgot about WURM Online. Not quite as granular as I've been talking about but fits more in line with the talk of A Tale in the Desert I suppose.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Have you ever considered writing erotic fiction? You might be good at it.

It's expensive for "just a card game" but as you have described there is a lot to it and it justifies the cost, although you do have to work on groking the systems to make it anywhere. There's a thread for it if you would like to know more details.
I don't know if wires got crossed or something but I was describing the Bootstrap Island demo.

Pictured: having to rip the husk off the coconut piece by piece.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What about Haven & Hearth?

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

https://youtu.be/mzZVGFWX3fM?si=0kOeMkK5sHPD2upa

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Game owns. Ignore the community, and don't expect to be left alone for long, but extremely deep albeit grindy gameplay. New world just started last week so it's a great time to try it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
For real, ignore the community. Nazis galore and the owners/devs don't care.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

a slime posted:

Game owns. Ignore the community, and don't expect to be left alone for long, but extremely deep albeit grindy gameplay. New world just started last week so it's a great time to try it.

Playing with goons years ago in H&H was some of the most fun few weeks you can get. Building up a massive city, going out raiding and sieging until finally being conquered by a massive russian blob was top10 gaming moments.

Requires way too much time commitment, though.

TheMammoth posted:

Runs decently well on my aging desktop

Grounded is optimized so incredibly well which is great to see in the modern gaming era.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 20, 2023

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Grounded added a “Coziness” gauge with various rewards to incentivize home building, though most of the better materials are locked behind grind-ish progression or late story events. The achievement for relaxing at Level 5 is also a matter of jamming as many cozy items together as closely as possible, not design, but I’ve found it otherwise fairly complete and feasible even solo.

In general, Grounded is comparatively polished and offers nice QoL features, and I happen to enjoy the Honey I Shrunk the Kids rip-off aesthetic plus narrative. The map is compact, but full of interest points.

Not certain if audience is limited by the whole Microsoft games aspect, and lack of console versions besides Xbox. Runs decently well on my aging desktop, however, and now officially supports Steam Deck.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 20, 2023

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Man, I played H&H with goons back to world 1 and it was an incredible time. I think it was world 2 or 3 that we had a stranglehold on the world because we had the strongest people who could bust down brick walls by hand and one shot people with our top quality swords. I mean I just made the jewelry for people but that was a key component since it boosted stats far beyond what was reasonable to achieve with bear consumption alone.

And it's still a great game. I love the XP/LP system for progression, the insanely esoteric combat system which I still don't really understand, and the numerical quality obsession that drives everything. It does suck how easy it is for people to steal your stuff and kill you, though :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a bit of the Front, its, yea, Ark without dinos. I haven't done much outside of try desperately to find fresh water to drink and i need to tweek the server settings so crafting walls doesn't take a minute each. But its still pretty early access so there's a lot to add but it does seem neat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a slime posted:

Arven posted:

For real, ignore the community. Nazis galore and the owners/devs don't care.

Awesome I’ll have to check it out! Sucks about the community though!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's The Forest 2 shaping up?

chird
Sep 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I played a bit of the Front, its, yea, Ark without dinos. I haven't done much outside of try desperately to find fresh water to drink and i need to tweek the server settings so crafting walls doesn't take a minute each. But its still pretty early access so there's a lot to add but it does seem neat.

For PvE, the main mechanic is the spacetime beacon and creature lure that you should probably place quite early (you can replace your territory flag with it or make a separate horde base).

This is an on-demand horde attack that gets harder each time you run it. The first wave only has like 5 wimps. I've done up to wave 26 or so and the AI never tries to actually smash down my wooden base, they're happy to wander to their deaths along my spikey death maze, apart from a few mobs who are trained on you instead. I do hear they get significantly harder at 30.

I think this rudimentary AI that's easy to manipulate might mean the game ends up having more of a PvP fanbase (but then why not just play Rust)

The facts hordes are triggered by the user means there's no real pressure. In 7d2d, you always have that approaching blood moon to worry about. Here, you can leave it off indefinitely.

There are quite a lot of PoIs like military bases and mines and such but I've not explored them much. A weakness here is AI being a bit too easy to cheese by say, standing on a rock. There didn't seem to be much to compel me to go to the PoIs. Again, it'd probably make more sense in a PvP mode but resources seem quite abundant. They're testing upping the server count to 80 from 40 to make running into folks more common.

The recruitment part of the game is very bare bones atm, you can tame folks and bring them back but they don't do much. They're meant to do things like work on your forges. That's one of the big things in the roadmap.

As this is Survival thread, the survival in PvE is very easy with default settings, you get like 200 fish a day from laying one trap and leaving it. Things like this need tuning. The feeling of progression through the game is good, though, you're always unlocking new stuff. The devs have also been pushing out updates daily.

Relatively bug-free and fleshed out, especially for a new studio EA game. I only got to lvl 28 or something but have seen complete farming mechanic, fancy electrics, farm vehicles, etc.

Overall I'm very happy, it was cheap and I hope it'll grow into something unique.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I want to be the most realistically wet possible in a video game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandomBlue posted:

I want to be the most realistically wet possible in a video game.

Trump survival simulation.

chird posted:

For PvE, the main mechanic is the spacetime beacon and creature lure that you should probably place quite early (you can replace your territory flag with it or make a separate horde base).

This is an on-demand horde attack that gets harder each time you run it. The first wave only has like 5 wimps. I've done up to wave 26 or so and the AI never tries to actually smash down my wooden base, they're happy to wander to their deaths along my spikey death maze, apart from a few mobs who are trained on you instead. I do hear they get significantly harder at 30.

I think this rudimentary AI that's easy to manipulate might mean the game ends up having more of a PvP fanbase (but then why not just play Rust)

The facts hordes are triggered by the user means there's no real pressure. In 7d2d, you always have that approaching blood moon to worry about. Here, you can leave it off indefinitely.

There are quite a lot of PoIs like military bases and mines and such but I've not explored them much. A weakness here is AI being a bit too easy to cheese by say, standing on a rock. There didn't seem to be much to compel me to go to the PoIs. Again, it'd probably make more sense in a PvP mode but resources seem quite abundant. They're testing upping the server count to 80 from 40 to make running into folks more common.

The recruitment part of the game is very bare bones atm, you can tame folks and bring them back but they don't do much. They're meant to do things like work on your forges. That's one of the big things in the roadmap.

As this is Survival thread, the survival in PvE is very easy with default settings, you get like 200 fish a day from laying one trap and leaving it. Things like this need tuning. The feeling of progression through the game is good, though, you're always unlocking new stuff. The devs have also been pushing out updates daily.

Relatively bug-free and fleshed out, especially for a new studio EA game. I only got to lvl 28 or something but have seen complete farming mechanic, fancy electrics, farm vehicles, etc.

Overall I'm very happy, it was cheap and I hope it'll grow into something unique.

That's all good to know. I haven't looked around at many POI or touched the becons yet. Next time I get around to playing i'll try it. As i said, I had some setting wrong and it was taking forever to craft everything and I just want a house built before i start doing anything else.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Must be, I used the vanilla settings and once you get a reasonable axe/pick you can build a bigass maze with traps in 1-2 farming runs. The epic/legendary blueprints for these are also well worth it as you get like 2x the resources from farming. Later there's oilwells and mining shafts that allow afk resource gathering.

The only thing I've considered changing is xp rate, around lvl35 it started feeling a bit stingy. Atm I'd probably tune it to make it harder and I'm not a hardcore survival type.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

twistedmentat posted:

Trump survival simulation.

Standpoint of water slider in the options menu ranges from wet to wettest
Theme: hurricane survival and golf

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember some of the survival mods for Skyrim being quite fun and full-featured back in the day. I know I froze to death one time in the north after unthinkingly getting soaked in icy water.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So just recently went on a survival game splurge, starting with...

Forever Skies. Not too much to write home about yet, the general concept is cool though the airship designing currently leaves allot to be desired, and feels a bit odd in places. (Increasing the size of the balloon increases your max weight, but has no effect on max height, max height is only gained via turbines). Also feels weird that the airship is entirely unaffected by the wind; you cut engine power and you are cemented in place.

As for what content there is to do... a bunch of extremely copy and paste POI's to do the exact same loot loop on over and over again, though there is promise, it just needs, a poo poo-ton more variants and types rather than the... 3.5? it currently has. Comm point, turbines, greenhouse, elevator*. I do like what is being done with the loot distribution, crafting products have exclusive homes to each type where you can loot them instead of craft them from base materials.

The one dungeon the game has currently, the elevator POI, is really cool and was really fun going through the first time, lots of environmental puzzles tho the stupid arbitrary 'you must be this cool to pass' enemies that function as walls felt bad, would have been much cooler if you could brute force them albeit in exchange for the obvious danger, and the current solution would be a cool alternative. Of course this dungeon is marred by it being copy-pasted across the world, which kills my immersion since it has story elements inside it which are also copy pasted.

Void Train. A neat concept, marred by a feeling of directionlessness and way too much grind. Also I hate the marketable plushees, and don't understand how they work properly; some of their abilities descriptions I swear are machine translated gibberish. Combat is terrible and I swear it's doing the bad form of innacuracy in gunplay where it rolls a loving die to determine if the bullet hits and just phases it through dudes if it rolls a miss, instead of being you know, not going exactly where you point. The story, what there is of it, mostly sucks, I hate the narrator, etc etc. It could all be so good but it needs a hell of shakeup.

I like trains, I wouldn't say I'm an enthusiast, but even I know that, for christ sake, a steam locomotive does not vent all it's loving steam pressure everytime you pull on the brakes. Nor does it burn through water faster than fuel, but that's whatever.

But it reminded me of the next in the list which I picked back up after refunding it the first time...

Zompiercer. A generic zombie survival game, but, you get a train! Oh my. It's basically a mobile base that you extend your looting bubble from. It's been heavily changed since the last time I touched it, the extremly loving clashing bobblehead cartoon zombies have been replaced by only moderately clashing demonic cartoon zombies, which is probably the biggest improvement in my books, the clash was so bad that it's why I refunded the first time.

It's all hand-designed maps now too instead of proc-gen, which has positives and negatives, resources are all finite and my god you need a lot of them. Your only source for resources are from looting, no punching trees, so you can extremely gently caress your save over by wasting poo poo early on. Doubly so now that fuel for the train is not replenishable by hand anymore, you need to refuel at stations, which triggers an alright defense segment, but means if you run outta gas by forgetting to turn the engine off when taking a nap your flat hosed and have to restart.

Combat is... serviceable once you understand you have to use the dodge constantly, some enemy types suck and the lack of quicksave/load makes tough encounters annoying. I do like how noise matters, but only to a degree. Melee won't attract poo poo, pistol only grabs whats nearby, shotgun will call dudes from a fair distance, certain map events can start to call in dudes from all over punishing you for not clearing as you go.

You also now build your train's carriages piece by piece instead of just building the furniture inside presets, and it lets you put on a second story so you can have an absurd lookin' trainbomination. Is a shame your only limit to two wagons though, as far as I've gotten. Being able to make an abomination of a madmax train is fun enough to make the game for me, though christ getting the resources together for it...

As far as the train realism goes, ehh, not great. It looks like a train, and is diesel so it's hard to gently caress up unlike a steamer, but the traction is all wrong so you can't coast, you know that thing that is a trains whole deal, some of the track grades and turns are impossible to a painfully obvious degree, bloody near 90* turns, and the brakes are a hard full stop not a variable slowdown, but videogames never loving do trains right, even the goddamn simulators half the time, so what can you do. Also the tracks make no goddamn sense just, layout wise.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 21, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I liked the concept of forever skies but it feels a bit thin and I bounced off after I was slogging through the part where you suddenly need oxygen and need to build these oxygen checkpoints underground. It was kind of a reverse Subnautica in that altitude is gated by blimp upgrades, common materials are also unlimited via a carnival like minigame where you zap balls of junk away in midair.

Void train has cool aesthetics but as others mentioned inventory is very limited. I also hate the shooting parts; I play on a steam deck so FPS games can be tricky if they don't have some gimmicks (for instance CP2077 is fine on the deck because you can have homing bullets and decapitate people with a laser noodle). It's also literally on rails when I had hoped there would be track switches/sidings or something that gave alternate paths. While being able to stop and even back up is nice honestly having the train compelled to keep hustling forward would have been more exciting; I feel like I spend more time just swimming around in an interdimensional void rather than actually diving a train itself.

Gonna have to try zompiercer. Surprised there aren't more snow piercer knockoffs honestly, it's a setting that takes very well to the genre albeit a rather linear way to build a base.

As someone that used to drive RL (baby) trains I'm really not a stickler for authenticity as much of it is tedious and technical more than anything and I'm not enthusiastic about playing a game that gave me a game over because I misread the train order documents that mandated I traverse the sun kink on Block 353 at 3.75mph not 5mph like on Block 352.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

TheMammoth posted:

Grounded added a “Coziness” gauge with various rewards to incentivize home building, though most of the better materials are locked behind grind-ish progression or late story events. The achievement for relaxing at Level 5 is also a matter of jamming as many cozy items together as closely as possible, not design, but I’ve found it otherwise fairly complete and feasible even solo.

In general, Grounded is comparatively polished and offers nice QoL features, and I happen to enjoy the Honey I Shrunk the Kids rip-off aesthetic plus narrative. The map is compact, but full of interest points.

Not certain if audience is limited by the whole Microsoft games aspect, and lack of console versions besides Xbox. Runs decently well on my aging desktop, however, and now officially supports Steam Deck.

I really liked Grounded, it was the first game to replicate Subnautica’s spookiness for me.
I was playing solo though, I think multiplayer would feel a lot more like Valheim.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Green Hell has been interesting so far. I skipped the story mode and just went into survival mode, so it's a bit of a learning curve.

So far today I've died from:

kitty x 2
natives x 3
poisoning x 1

Plus I got a ton of worms which sucked my sanity and I had no idea how to get rid of them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I tried out The Front today and I'm not necessarily impressed at the state of it but I am hoping they continue to develop it. I'll give them a pass for now since the game just came out last week. At least they give you the ability to host your own dedicated server right out the gate, unlike SCUM.

Combat feels bad, everything is floaty and without any feedback, environment is bland, AI is horrible. Not necessarily a death sentence provided they continue development of it at a reasonable pace.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Canuckistan posted:

Plus I got a ton of worms which sucked my sanity and I had no idea how to get rid of them.
Check your journal! It tells you how to deal with any affliction you come down with. You'll need to lance it with a bone needle or fishbone, then treat the resulting wound.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Green Hell has been interesting so far. I skipped the story mode and just went into survival mode, so it's a bit of a learning curve.

So far today I've died from:

kitty x 2
natives x 3
poisoning x 1

It's honestly impressive you haven't died from fever/infection/venom/ants as a new player. I liked the experience of finding all the different ways to die the hard way, probably because death is pretty swift and you don't have much in the way of progress to lose anyway. It took me a while to even encounter enemies or hostile animals.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So been continuing with Zompiercer, wouldn't call it great but it's holding my interest well enough; worth it on a deep sale not so much base price as it stands I'd say. It's very linier, which I know it is literally on rails, but there's only been a singular track switch at this point, both sides which are mandatory. There's allot to find off the beaten path in each map but with how slow you walk/run relative to the size of the map, you tend not to be too adventurous.

You get a cool robot dogbot companion at the third major location, seems half-implemented currently (it has a health and battery bar, but enemies do not target it and it's battery never drains), but you can customize it with attachments and stuff. I like how making a weapon addon for it requires you to sacrifice one of your weapons (excluding the crossbow mount), since you can't craft guns and it seems there's only 1 of each gun in the gameworld. Can also shove storage onto it, a godsend, as well as a light and/or a medstation. Wish I knew I should have been looting pc towers in the earlier maps for circuit boards to do the upgrades, I upgraded it's targeting to aim for heads instead of center mass but didn't upgrade it's accuracy which is a terrible combo, so I've just, told it to hold fire till I can get the resources to fix that.

On the note of resources, I was wrong about their scarcity, but don't feel like it was my fault for feeling that. You can disassemble things for resources, but only chairs, blue barrels, and the rare generic clutter looking scrap piles. It never tells you this, and looking at one of these objects without the appropriate tool in hand does not provide a prompt or hint that it's not just a prop. With how many chairs and barrels I missed in the early maps, the resource squeeze does not actually exist, I went from scraping by on wood to overflowing with it from office building.

Edit: Forgot I wanted to talk about enemy variety, there is an interesting mix, mostly the generic standbys of the genre (normal, fast, spitter, hulk, bloater, armored, etc), tho the spitter causes an aoe damage/zedheal field and the bloater survives it's explosion and turns into A Problem if your not ready for it. Unique additions are the zombies that have a bush growing out of they back and ambush you by lying down, and loving pyrokinetic firefighters. Combat still feels very meh tho, the hitboxes are bad and enemies have no stagger so it really drags it down. Not being able to jump felt weird at the start of the game but I guess it's a solution to the usual 'stand on a box' way of dealing with melee only enemies in these kind of games.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 22, 2023

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

BrianRx posted:

It's honestly impressive you haven't died from fever/infection/venom/ants as a new player. I liked the experience of finding all the different ways to die the hard way, probably because death is pretty swift and you don't have much in the way of progress to lose anyway. It took me a while to even encounter enemies or hostile animals.

Oh. I got bit a few times as well.

I learned the hard way not to run through the jungle (sorry CCR) and to pay attention. Now I hear the snakes, cats, frogs, spiders, and tribals before I step on em.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vib Rib posted:

Raft is such a weird goddamn game to me. I love the early game where you're trying to survive, and getting things like water purification, fishing up food, etc. But then after several hours of sort of sandboxy survival it takes a hard turn and decides to be an extremely drawn out story-driven experience where you just wander around enormous islands, away from your raft, reading notes and audiologs of characters I don't care about. It's kind of amazing how long it takes to get through all that.
At some point into story progression I hit a point where I just don't care about anything but beelining the rest of the story content because that's what everything focuses on and I've already long-since become self-sufficient, but it turns out that point is like, 25% of the way into the story.

:same:

We did, eventually, finish the game. The payoff at the end is pretty satisfying.

The fun parts are all the survival elements. The story stuff is better as an occasional break from survival tasks.

Building up a mega-raft is so-so, but it gives a reason to keep doing the fun parts of going out and getting resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Hogama posted:

Announcement of their next game - Card Survival: Fantasy Life - though they haven't started Early Access yet.

Excite, even though it's probably more than a year or so away for even early access.