Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Xenomrph posted:

I’d prefer either a dot-matrix printer noise or 56k modem dialup noise. Go back to basics.

I mean, those subtitled would be pretty good, ngl.

Nah, not even. Just dialup modem noises that everyone just understands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Saw the Troop Builders Pack at Target yesterday and it took a lot of willpower not to buy it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bee looks more like a mini Bulkhead, that body shape doesn't read as Bumblebee in any way, shape or form

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Compared to, say, a Camero?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Bee looks more like a mini Bulkhead, that body shape doesn't read as Bumblebee in any way, shape or form

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Silhouette posted:

Bumblebee's been a Camaro, I think that ship has sailed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anyone at TFCon this weekend?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That dreary game Starscream has me wondering, what are the best Starscream designs?

For me I think its G1, Armada and Prime. All good looks.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Armada, Cybertron, and Prime, tbh.

The G1 design is a man wearing squares and a pair of wings. It indicates nothing of his personality.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Nodosaur posted:

Armada, Cybertron, and Prime, tbh.

The G1 design is a man wearing squares and a pair of wings. It indicates nothing of his personality.

I loved the giant Cybertron toy, but I always felt it was a little too bulky for Starscream. I don't remember anything about the show, so I am just basing it on vibes.

Animated is also a good Starscream.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Joe Fisto posted:

I loved the giant Cybertron toy, but I always felt it was a little too bulky for Starscream. I don't remember anything about the show, so I am just basing it on vibes.

Animated is also a good Starscream.

Cybertron Starscream is serious and biding his time compared to other versions. He needs to basically look like he can go toe to toe with a Megatron wearing armor made of the devil.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Animated, Prime and Armada

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Animated, Prime, Coronation (it's not just shoulder pads and a cape, he's overall beefier than usual in that scene)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I actually kind of like the movie design for Starscream but he's unfortunately lacking in personality compared to most versions of the character

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More like he has an inverted personality. He's the loyal suck-up.

The best movie starscream design is Blitzwing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dabir posted:

or you know, the Starscream that appears in the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only reason Blitzwing look like that in the 'Bee Movie was him also being a Seeker.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

I actually kind of like the movie design for Starscream but he's unfortunately lacking in personality compared to most versions of the character
Same, the throwing star body is a cool design, but an awful Starscream.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Been hunting at Ross for figures since I have so many near me. It’s been interesting. I’ve found approximately a hundred Scourges, about as many Shadowcats and Buzzsaws. A few tan scorpions. One had a few of those retro packaged Headmasters which I passed on, and a few Skullgrins which was cool, only time I’ve seen him. A few other scattered ones over the course of the several stores, but nothing I wanted. Was hoping for Crasher.

I think I’d be annoyed if I got Scourge for full price but $16? Not shabby.

Edit: opened Skullgrin. Fun figure with an awful alt mode. One of his sword guns is super wobbly and the texture is weird

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 22, 2023

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

The only reason Blitzwing look like that in the 'Bee Movie was him also being a Seeker.

Apparently test screenings used a couple of different codenames for the character, and when the trailer was first uploaded, one of the official sites actually listed him as Starscream. I wonder if there was a point early in development before the story was settled when they came up with a really cool design for a pre-07 Starscream, and kept the "Starscream" working name for a while the same way DOTM had Sentinel Prime called Ultra Magnus and Shockwave as Blitzwing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone at TFCon this weekend?

Yup! I'm at the table across from Gary Chalk. Tall guy with red muttonchops.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My local game store has a carded PotP Jazz for £30. I've heard that mold isn't great, but I haven't heard specifically why. Setting aside the MAGA deco thing, which I can't tell whether or not this individual one has without opening it, what's wrong with it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There was a big step up in materials and production quality from PotP to Siege, and PotP Jazz in particular was insubstantial, with thin paint and thinner plastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xZAOx posted:

Yup! I'm at the table across from Gary Chalk. Tall guy with red muttonchops.

Ah shame, I was only there yesterday. Sorry!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dabir posted:

My local game store has a carded PotP Jazz for £30. I've heard that mold isn't great, but I haven't heard specifically why. Setting aside the MAGA deco thing, which I can't tell whether or not this individual one has without opening it, what's wrong with it?

DoctorWhat posted:

There was a big step up in materials and production quality from PotP to Siege, and PotP Jazz in particular was insubstantial, with thin paint and thinner plastic.

Yeah, it feels flimsy, vehicle mode never quite feels like it's all clipped together properly, it's not super posable in robot mode, the arms especially are a bit floppy... Studio Series 86 Jazz just obliterates it in every respect.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PotP Jazz is also hamstrung by being a combiner limb, and has large sections made of painted translucent plastic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
At the time translucent plastic wasn't such a problem. The fragile translucent plastic and photo degradation issues were largely a symptom of decreased factory oversight and supply chain constraints during the pandemic.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Dabir posted:

I only have the Generations Selects Ricochet recolor of that mold, and its fine. Definitely not worth £30 but its fine. The shoulders are a little loose and its from an era of simpler designs, but the latter has some advantages as its a decent size without a lot of hollow areas, you don't need to worry about lining things up with like .5mm tolerances that worked fine in the CAD model but not so much in real life. The plastics themselves are ok and not any thinner than current ones, and no issues with paint on Ricochet at least. Plus they were able to give him full size wheels, unlike the dime-thin ones a lot of the current guys get.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Silhouette posted:

Hey I heard you have thoughts on Bumblebee body types?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

2 Grimlocks in 1!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

:hai:

Wish I'd liked either of the 3P toys enough to buy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

At the time translucent plastic wasn't such a problem. The fragile translucent plastic and photo degradation issues were largely a symptom of decreased factory oversight and supply chain constraints during the pandemic.

Photo degradation got worse, to be sure, but translucent plastic - specifically the hard kind made of polycarbonate - has been a known potential time bomb for way longer than just since 2020. Like, I've got a Japanese JRX where I stopped playing with it because I got nervous about cracks I saw developing.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dabir posted:

if it was like $10 to $15, sure, but at $30 that's a hard pass. It's made out of mostly clear plastic and the transformation feels bad.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

Photo degradation got worse, to be sure, but translucent plastic - specifically the hard kind made of polycarbonate - has been a known potential time bomb for way longer than just since 2020. Like, I've got a Japanese JRX where I stopped playing with it because I got nervous about cracks I saw developing.

I threw out my JRX because it went completely piss yellow sitting in a drawer for a couple years. These problems have always been with us.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have an original Admiral Ackbar figure who appears to have comprehensively pissed himself when he said the line. I think it's just a matter of when plastic yellows rather than if TBH.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Knormal posted:

Hey I heard you have thoughts on Bumblebee body types?

Wow. She looks like she’s got the most clunky backpack I’ve seen in a good while. I bet that’s the entire alt mode, barely folded up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

Wow. She looks like she’s got the most clunky backpack I’ve seen in a good while. I bet that’s the entire alt mode, barely folded up.

You’d be right!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I have an original Admiral Ackbar figure who appears to have comprehensively pissed himself when he said the line. I think it's just a matter of when plastic yellows rather than if TBH.

It is, but I think the timeline has become shorter - Netflix Soundwave and his gold thighs being kind of an extreme example.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I looked at my Kingdom Tigatron a few days ago and it's already yellowing all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phy posted:

It is, but I think the timeline has become shorter - Netflix Soundwave and his gold thighs being kind of an extreme example.
I remember having white Lego bricks that had gone yellow before I got to primary school, so there are probably a bunch of environmental issues as well as materials science issues at play. Plus with the way Hasbro is doing full line refreshes pretty much quarterly rather than having the same toys on shelves for years it's less likely that anyone in the (official) target market will notice something like Soundwave before they've moved onto the next cartoon.