Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hard to keep up with this thread when I'm busy making a BOOT DISK for MAXIMUM conventional memory! :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EVIL Gibson posted:

Do not break my mind canon please.

In my head, Voodoo cards only came in boxes with the Dark Man Group; a fork of the Blue Man Group (BMG) who decide on their own colors and style against the standards set by the Blue Man Group.

Unlike those S3/Nvidia/ATIAMD clowns who hired 3d Studio Max failures for their box art

Lol I remember when the Blue Man Group did ads for the Pentium III and people thought they were a marketing gimmick made up by Intel

"Oh it's those Intel Blue Men"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Data Graham posted:

Lol I remember when the Blue Man Group did ads for the Pentium III and people thought they were a marketing gimmick made up by Intel

"Oh it's those Intel Blue Men"

I read "Intel" as "Israel" because of too much news recently and quickly became very very confused.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Please no Xeonism derails.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dick Trauma posted:

Please no Xeonism derails.

Lmao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Desert Bus posted:

Thank God I own this:

I just missed out on buying the first edition, I have had this second edition since new. Learnt so much from it as I was late to DOS (1992)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't know where my copy of DOS For Dummies went, but I've got a second edition of the Indispensible PC Hardware Handbook somewhere in the giant box of irrelevant books, I know that for sure.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Artist: "yeah i'm just going to draw my Beetlejuice Insane Clown Posse alopecia fetish art..."

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Sweevo posted:

Artist: "yeah i'm just going to draw my Beetlejuice Insane Clown Posse alopecia fetish art..."

This is Jack from Mass Effect 2 if the game came out in 2003.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That face tells me she only speaks in Nintendo 64-era sound effects

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One of my favorite books in my teens was Ted Nelson's Computer Lib/Dream Machines. I spent the first ten years of my career trying to convince managers to try hypertext (I was a tech writer). Then, in 1993, Tim Berners-Lee finally got worldwide adoption.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That showboating narcissist

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

That showboating narcissist

Ted Nelson? Well, yeah, but SOMEDAY, just as soon as he finds somebody who'll write all of Xanadu for him and not run screaming after working with him for a couple weeks...

(you'd think after trying to get something developed for 40 years you'd just break down and learn how to program yourself)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ted Nelson? Well, yeah, but SOMEDAY, just as soon as he finds somebody who'll write all of Xanadu for him and not run screaming after working with him for a couple weeks...

(you'd think after trying to get something developed for 40 years you'd just break down and learn how to program yourself)
I think he's like Stallman: thanks for the early work, other people executed better.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think he's like Stallman: thanks for the early work, other people executed better.

Stallman stole the only useful thing attributed to him (eMacs) from James Gosling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pham Nuwen posted:

Lol I meant more like Tim Berners-Lee. Could have been emperor of the world if he'd played his cards right, apparently

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Stallman stole the only useful thing attributed to him (eMacs) from James Gosling.
Huh. He did?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of, I think that growing up in the 80's and 90's, everyone knew SOME family (or maybe you were that family>) that had one of these kneeling chairs plopped in front of their OG Macintosh:

I'm sitting on one right now, except a more modern version where the skids are curved so you can balance back and forth. It's really comfortable. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the few times I’ve sat on those type of chairs I always thought they were pretty comfy

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. He did?

Yes, if you really push the definition of all parts of that statement well beyond what they usually mean.

Wikipedia has a reasonable summary:

quote:

Gosling initially allowed Gosling Emacs to be redistributed with no formal restrictions, as required by the "Emacs commune" since the 1970s, only asking for a letter acknowledging his authorship. Later, wishing to move on, he sold his version of Emacs to UniPress.

(...)

Gosling Emacs was especially noteworthy because of the effective redisplay code, which used a dynamic programming technique to solve the classical string-to-string correction problem. The algorithm was quite sophisticated; that section of the source was headed by a skull-and-crossbones in ASCII art, warning any would-be improver that even if they thought they understood how the display code worked, they probably did not.

Since Gosling had permitted its unrestricted redistribution, Richard Stallman used some Gosling Emacs code in the initial version of GNU Emacs. Among other things, he rewrote part of the Gosling code headed by the skull-and-crossbones comment and made it "...shorter, faster, clearer and more extensible."

In 1983 UniPress began selling Gosling Emacs on Unix for $395 and on VMS for $2,500, marketing it as "EMACS–multi-window text editor (Gosling version)".

Controversially, Unipress asked Stallman to stop distributing his version of Emacs for Unix. UniPress never took legal action against Stallman or his nascent Free Software Foundation, believing "hobbyists and academics could never produce an Emacs that could compete" with their product.[citation needed] All Gosling Emacs code was removed from GNU Emacs by version 16.56 (July 1985), with the possible exception of a few particularly involved sections of the display code. The latest versions of GNU Emacs (since August 2004) do not feature the skull-and-crossbones warning.

It also looks like they had their own lisp interpreter, and Stallman was involved in Emacs before Gosling wrote his implementation.

E: I feel like I should mention that I'm a BSD guy who prefers vim to emacs, and I think the FSF and GNU should not let Stallman hold any form of employment position with them anymore. It still seemed like an annoyingly unfair throwaway comment. :)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Oct 22, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Computer viking posted:

It still seemed like an annoyingly unfair throwaway comment. :)

Crediting Stallman’s input as a technical effort whose shoulders we stand on is a comment of similar effort so i met kind in kind. And I’m not criticizing that comment for being low effort at all. I just wasn’t bothered to comprehensively describe the history because Stallman as an individual doesnt deserve more respect than a throwaway comment imho.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Found (among other things) a Hewlett-Paskard Laserjet 6P in the closet under the stairs, and m'contemplating giving it a clean, drying it out in the apartment proper (the closet is on the veranda which is unheated) and seeing if it works. It has a parallel-to-USB cable which is kinda weird? Anyway it should work with my old vertical-CRT Macintosh so I could actually use that for something. The inside looked fine from what I could see without any disassembly, but there's some residue on the cartridge and just below it - didn't smell like mold.

e: It's the exact same cable as here, so I guess it's not weird :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qI8txj_Yw

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Oct 22, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/obsoletesony/status/1716348730306068851?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Was that the machine you had the big guy on your crew take everywhere in case a dance off broke out?

E: Heheh, In Krazy Ken's latest video he glosses over how 3.5 inch disks were briefly referred to as "stiffy" disks :lol:

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Oct 23, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I have a quite similar Salora boombox. It's a Finnish brand. I bet the design took a lot of "inspiration" from that Sony. I used to have a tradition of taking it out to a nearby park once every summer and blast wicked tunes from my cassettes.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought something highly similar on a flea market about 10 years ago. Clearly a cheap knock off. Many LED lights everywhere, power indicater, equalizer, the whole lot. Just no CD.

I got it working but the quality of the potentiometers and switches was so bad that even after cleaning, everything was unreliable and sucky, and because of the way it was constructed it was too much work to try and remove them - and find new ones. Sold it to the next victim.
It didn't sound all that bad. Cheap, but not bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxnichols/status/1716315408784085022?s=20

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EVIL Gibson posted:

My brown Zune that turns green on the edges. With super dust mode on that will not change no matter what dust wipe I use on it.

I love how ugly it is and the sole reason why I keep buying odd color devices like the salmon colored Pixel 6pro.

loving neat features at the time like sharing an mp3 or album directly over wifi to another Zune user directly. Also listening to the radio over its internal FM/AM radio and if you have wifi connection , would look up the album name/song and book mark it for later by recording the time/location/station and looking up the radio charts/logs

remember, this came out before iPhones and putting metatags on mp3 was something a user using an iTunes / mp3tag had to do.

If anyone has any info on Zune hacking I can extract all the songs but the pictures stored on it can't get out because the auth servers to access them are dead and gone.

Mainly a pic of goons that played EVE Online on the Potomac River after the corp off lined a huge cheating alliance.

I miss my Zune

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
What is the actual name of that rubbery coating that tons of turn of the century electronics used and always breaks down over the years into a sticky mess? Or do rubbery coatings still do that and I just don't have anything with it that's old enough?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s just how rubber works, it wants to return to the ooze it came from.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

What is a "radio-cassette player", and what is "a 60W output"?

gently caress how I hate AI generated poo poo!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Dip Viscous posted:

What is the actual name of that rubbery coating that tons of turn of the century electronics used and always breaks down over the years into a sticky mess? Or do rubbery coatings still do that and I just don't have anything with it that's old enough?

There are many different versions. This is one: https://www.cromas.it/soft-touch-spray-paint.html
I think they can be either silicone or urethane based.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Hard plastics go soft and soft plastics get rigid. I have no idea how that works but I'll just blame it on polymers.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

evobatman posted:

Are you sure that’s AI? I mean, fair enough if it is but I think it’s a pretty good description. Stuff used to say AM/FM-cassette all the time back in the day

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Square speakers. What

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

namlosh posted:

Are you sure that’s AI? I mean, fair enough if it is but I think it’s a pretty good description. Stuff used to say AM/FM-cassette all the time back in the day

It's real

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

evobatman posted:

It means that the player can drive up to 60W speakers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

evobatman posted:

The output of the internal amplifier is 60 watts

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Audio poo poo is still rated in Watts even, this is a weird thing to think is AI lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!