Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

This is either a terrible suicide "joke" or a stupid understanding of humans because if I hated work I would not have anything work related on my memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crab Dad posted:

This is either a terrible suicide "joke" or a stupid understanding of humans because if I hated work I would not have anything work related on my memorial.

I read it more like Terry Pratchett's joke of "when I die I want a bell on my grave so I can have the pleasure of not answering" from an all-hours doctor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Bad News: Newspaper Spider-Man has officially been ended.

https://wapo.st/3Mbk00C
The last brick has fallen. :smith:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "332 - Jucika As A Tutor"

"333 - Jucika As A Sheet Music Turner"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Good News: Flash Gordon is being rebooted starting Sunday! If anyone is looking for a strip to post, now’s your chance. Will it be great, good, or a lot like the rebooted Mark Trail, lovely and hacky? We may know soon enough!

Bad News: Newspaper Spider-Man has officially been ended.

https://wapo.st/3Mbk00C
The guy doing Flash Gordon is Dan Schkade, who has produced at least one pretty good thing so far in the form of the webcomic Lavender Jack, so there's some reason for optimism unless the 7-day-a-week production demand grinds him up really badly. The PYF webcomic thread has someone going through it atm, who provided this helpful introduction:

the holy poopacy posted:

What ho, comics thread! I'd like to drop in a personal favorite of mine, Lavender Jack by Dan Schkade. I think a few of his shorter form things have shown up ITT before, he is (as will become evident) a big Batman nerd and has a few brief Batman pastiches out and about. It's a superhero story set in the early 20th century in the fictional European microstate of Gallery, a city-state that's considerably more egalitarian and racially diverse as well as gayer than a strictly historical setting would permit. It's a well-executed adventure story in its own right, but I also think it's more conscientious than most superhero stories, elevating itself above mere power fantasies to tackle important philosophical questions like "Can a good comic exist on Webtoon?" and "What if Hercule Poirot was a giant black lesbian?" So without further ado,

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I saw an ad on TV yesterday for what was basically a waterpik for your ears

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Cotton swabs are bad for your ears because they push the wax further in and can damage the ear canal, so actual ear doctors will use suction and irrigation devices for cleaning.

Of course, I have no idea how well a $20 handheld gadget from a department store might work.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

I used to joke about how I wanted my tombstone to say "out on the final recess" or something like that. Maybe "joined the eternal nap time".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gunther is just awful

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alhazred posted:

I used to joke about how I wanted my tombstone to say "out on the final recess" or something like that. Maybe "joined the eternal nap time".

much better than "no longer face customers" with a look related to despair.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Wasn't Bets extremely popular and lucrative BEFORE Gunther came along?

And wouldn't being suddenly single make a female content creator way more popular, not less?

It's almost like Team Evans has no idea what they're talking about!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Whoah, a good Dustin.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Thread has already hit on the joke that this is the opposite of reality but what really gets me is Gunther showing his whole rear end here. "My girlfriend wants to be successful and happy in a nontraditional modern way and she's failing without me, I've never been happier." gently caress You.

Like this is it, this is what matters to Gunther. He wants her to be defeated and come back to him and accept what he likes. 9CL has more healthy respect for romantic partners.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Ballsy way to end a comic

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/23-25/51

Archie 6/28-30/48

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Veronica weirdly stoked to be offered a taste of wealth and luxury, there

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Thread has already hit on the joke that this is the opposite of reality but what really gets me is Gunther showing his whole rear end here. "My girlfriend wants to be successful and happy in a nontraditional modern way and she's failing without me, I've never been happier." gently caress You.

Like this is it, this is what matters to Gunther. He wants her to be defeated and come back to him and accept what he likes. 9CL has more healthy respect for romantic partners.

he sure does suck

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

You know, that is true. As gross as 9CL, the people in there are not toxic to their partners and want them to succeed.

Also the creepy eye Gun has to Luann when he discusses happiness. Like Evans is still trying to push them together because voters wanted her to go to prom with Aaron.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 24-29, 2003)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

My emphasis on that last line because as true as that may be, ewwwwwwwwwwww.

EWWWWWWWWWWW.

Major Hoople, scrub that concept from my broken brain, please. (Our Boarding House (September 25-27, 1924)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (September 25, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (December 5-7, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Hangover Cure (December 18, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 27-28, 1939; no Lefty on the 29th, which is happening unannounced a lot lately.)

Meanwhile, I went sniffing around a new-to-me newspaper archive for early Toonerville gap pluggers and I might've found the source of the Nile. The Lincoln (Nebraska) Daily Star was one of the earliest of the early adopters, and when I say that, I mean that they carried Fontaine Fox panels on the front page all the way back in 1911.

(The new high watermark for earliest Fox panels spotted in the wild: June 23, 24, and 26, 1911 (in Lincoln))

My way in is tied to a Wikipedia editor initiative which hinges on your number of edits a month, so everybody do your pal Easy a favor and start making easy errors that I can grab.

Nah, not really. Wouldn't it be awful if I was actually like that?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doomykins posted:

Yeah, as someone who previously spoke up for Gunther for leaving Bets (since he clearly wasn't happy there) I gotta be clear that his attitude here completely sucks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Doomykins posted:

It always baffles me that they write this story thinking it was either funny or clever and it's neither.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Nature Raffle is a regular Finnish raffle where the benefits go to the WWF and the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation.

And the card the robber is holding in the last panel is his Veikkaus membership card, which is a card given by our national government-owned betting agency, which is tied to your identity and allows you to buy and cash out betting wins easily.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 21, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 15, 1959)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Make up with my wife? Nah, gently caress that noise. Let's go get nearly killed again! That'll show her!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Narrator: "He should have spanked her."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics
Well. OK. Didn't see that reveal coming. I'm intrigued to see where they're going with this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/20/03

For some reason, the Grauniad has posted Stephen Collins's cartoon in a fuzzy, low-resolution version. I'll check back and see if they fix it.

Brenda Starr 12/2/51

I think I've mentioned it before, but Kilbirdie is a stand-in for real-world gossip columnist Dorothy Kilgallen.

Smokey Stover 7/7/57

Everyday Movies 11/19/36

"My sister has a friend, not exaggertin' a bit, she's classed with millionaires."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/31/42

Bonus ad! Ah yes, the days when you could refer to the Gay '90s without snickering.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (October 23, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (November 22-24, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 25, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 11-13, 1943; spoilers for more wartime racism)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

What does that even mean? 'Shut up and stop poking holes in my unhelpful platitudes'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 21, 2023