Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I got a BA in Latin a long time ago and if you post the phrase I will look at it next time I check this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do my various credit cards want me to do a balance transfer so bad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

They want you to transfer the balance and then not pay after the introductory 0% period

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Badger of Basra posted:

They are banking off you not paying off the balance by the time limit. Either because you aren't great with debt management (most that have debt to transfer are there for a reason after all), or they have sneaky things like payments going towards new purchases first.

If you don't pay off by the limit, most charge you interest, back calculated on the entire transfer, usually at a high rate.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Carillon posted:

When I stir something in a glass or bowl, the liquid rises up the sides. Removing viscosity of the liquid, or assuming just water, is there a maximum to how high the liquid rises? If you had infinite depth of container and volume, would it functionally climb infinitely? Is it also tied to atmospheric pressure?

If we're talking about how liquid tends to form a sort of parabola when you stir it, or why stuff fountains out of the top of a blender, etc, it's newtonian physics - here's more than you want to know:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/293106/shape-of-water-in-rotating-bucket

Note that here they are talking about a rotating container with unstirred water, but I'm pretty sure we can use the same equation for a non-rotating container with rotating water.

The short answer is yes, there is a practical limit where you're going to have to stir the water so fast it'll cavitate instead of going faster.

The equation is h = sqr(omega)*sqr(radius)/2g, where omega is rotational velocity, so for a 1 metre radius cylinder and taking g as 10m/s squared, and from a random paper on maximum swimming velocities in fish room temp/pressure water starts to cavitate around 10-15m/s, so we can say the maximum height would be sqr(15)/~20 or somewhere in the region of 13 metres (~40 feet) for that size of container. A mixing bowl is around 30cm wide so something that size would top out at ~1 m (3 feet).

The depth doesn't need to be infinite - I have completely forgotten how to integrate that stuff, but the volume of a cone is 1/3rd height pi radius squared and a cylinder is height pi radius squared, the cone is going to fit complely inside the parabola, so as long as the cylinder is 2/3rds full that's going to be sufficient to get it to the top of the cylinder.

It is not tied to atmospheric pressure per se, but if you do it in a vacuum water will boil away until there's an equilibrium, which for 70f water is 0.2 psi. I can't find the reference but if I remember correctly that would require about 10% of the volume of the vacuum taken from the liquid - e.g. if you had 1 gallon of water in a 5 gallon tank and the rest is vacuum, you need 0.4 gallons to "fill up" the vacuum, plus 0.04 to fill up the vacuum from the 0.4 gallons, so you'd lose about 0.45 gallons before you started stirring.

Now, if there is no viscousity, we start getting into quantum mechanics (superfluidity) and there is, if I understand it correctly, no limit to how high the fluid will go, but it's no longer gravity driven and the layer is a uniform 30nm thick instead of being a parabola: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfluidity

Also, here's a video about astronauts drinking coffee from an open container in space that has nothing to do with your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk7LcugO3zg

thepopmonster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 21, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I drive a 2014 Civic with fewer than 50k miles. I take it in when the car tells me it's time.

My first car was a Chevy Lumina that had similar mileage, and my mechanic once refused to do an oil change because even though it had been six months, I had so few miles that the oil was still clean. I fully trust my mechanic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We were in Newport RI a couple weekends ago and there were a couple of cruise ships in town. I guess they don’t have a deep port so the cruise ships were offshore and there were huge lines for people to get back to the back, I guess through small tenders.

Question is how common that is? Because it did not look enjoyable in the slightest. Never taken a cruise before.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I want to get a down comforter but I realized I don't know if I'm allergic. I stay in hotels a lot for work and have never had reactions to any of the bedding, can I assume I'm good?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I want to get a down comforter but I realized I don't know if I'm allergic. I stay in hotels a lot for work and have never had reactions to any of the bedding, can I assume I'm good?

Down pillows are a thing and much cheaper. You could start with one of those and see if you have a reaction.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Carillon posted:

When I stir something in a glass or bowl, the liquid rises up the sides. Removing viscosity of the liquid, or assuming just water, is there a maximum to how high the liquid rises? If you had infinite depth of container and volume, would it functionally climb infinitely? Is it also tied to atmospheric pressure?

Not a direct answer, but your question reminded me of a Steve Mould video on a similar subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZB112xPcI

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Down pillows are a thing and much cheaper. You could start with one of those and see if you have a reaction.

Also very common for pillows in hotels to be down.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I have a silicone liner for my airfryer, but it says I shouldn't preheat the airfryer with the silicone liner inside. Why is that? Is it to keep the silicone liner from flying up into the heating element?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Where is the best placement for my air purifier? Floorplan for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/yeZjtVU

I currently have it in my living room, where the red dot is. Would it be better beside the air vent, marked in purple?

Edit: Three more questions I guess! How the hell do I get a direct link on Imgur? Why is Imgur such utter poo poo now? What should I be using instead?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 22, 2023

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Where is the best placement for my air purifier? Floorplan for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/yeZjtVU

I currently have it in my living room, where the red dot is. Would it be better beside the air vent, marked in purple?

Edit: Three more questions I guess! How the hell do I get a direct link on Imgur? Why is Imgur such utter poo poo now? What should I be using instead?

right click the picture and click open in new tab then take the url from the new tab and use that as the direct link

dont know anything about air purifiers though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Right click, copy image address, paste that into the post. You probably want to put an 'l' (lowercase 'L') right before the file extension too, e.g. https://i.imgur.com/g8TIcpsl.png instead of https://i.imgur.com/g8TIcps.png. imgur automatically produces small, medium, and "large" (but not full-sized) versions of your images, and the 'l' version is nice for embedding into forums without completely blowing out the size of your post.

As for the air purifier, that seems reasonable to me? You generally want it to be centrally located for the space you want to keep clean. If you have rooms you don't care about, you can close their doors or move the purifier further from them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In the 90s and oughts there was a trend of movies/TV series with an almost identical premise coming out at the same time with very similar budgets. I understand the concept of profiting by tricking people into viewing/buying your low budget version but I don’t understand the economics when they are the same budget. They are trying to fill the same niche and it doesn’t feel like twice the marketing will double the market share making it seem like a losing proposition for both parties. Was it all just ego driven with people believing that they could do a concept so much better than the other firm or am I missing something?

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you copy something successful and get a third of what it gets that's better than making something original and risking getting a tenth or less, and there's a chance that your version does better if you hit the juice just right. The justification and idea for it on an individual scale would be somewhat different each time but overall that's just how the market worked on TV, all these shows had to be pitched to bosses who were usually pretty risk-averse in general and would be more likely to want more of the same stuff that everyone's doing rather than something new and interesting.

They were kinda right, we all saw what happened to Arrested Development.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CrazySalamander posted:

In the 90s and oughts there was a trend of movies/TV series with an almost identical premise coming out at the same time with very similar budgets. I understand the concept of profiting by tricking people into viewing/buying your low budget version but I don’t understand the economics when they are the same budget. They are trying to fill the same niche and it doesn’t feel like twice the marketing will double the market share making it seem like a losing proposition for both parties. Was it all just ego driven with people believing that they could do a concept so much better than the other firm or am I missing something?

Are you talking about the early DreamWorks years, when they made Antz to Pixar's A Bug's Life? I think there was another pretty obvious ripoff at the time too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For movies, don’t think it really hurts anything to have two volcano movies for instance. You get lots of free press, and it’s not really fighting for the same dollar.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

Film development is notorious for being fickle, unpredictable and, trend-obsessed. People can write scripts in a few weeks, or take years to finish them. Even when a script gets purchased, there's no telling when it will actually go into production.

I doubt there are many cases of production companies hearing about a rival space volcano movie and trying to beat them to the punch-by the time you hear someone is actually going through with whatever, it's probably too late to catch up. What is more likely is that studios are reading similar books, watching the same movies, interpreting the same data, and scrambling to respond before the public moves on to the next big thing, like with young adult dystopian series or cinematic universes.

There's definitely a level of coordination so that directly competing movies tend not to open on the same weekend-it's a bad idea for everyone involved, and you will absolutely see headlines about movies changing dates to avoid competition. Despite things being ego-driven, there's still an understanding that it can't be knife fights all the time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Right click, copy image address, paste that into the post. You probably want to put an 'l' (lowercase 'L') right before the file extension too, e.g. https://i.imgur.com/g8TIcpsl.png instead of https://i.imgur.com/g8TIcps.png. imgur automatically produces small, medium, and "large" (but not full-sized) versions of your images, and the 'l' version is nice for embedding into forums without completely blowing out the size of your post.

imgur also produces tiny, huge and gargantuan versions of images in case those are things you want.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For low budget stuff you also want something with low costs, and some settings just work for that. Like cop shows, it's regular dudes in mostly regular clothes, you don't need fancy visual effects and you can film basically anywhere. And people love cops for some reason.

Also, you know how you finish a series and want more? In a world without instant reruns and competing channels, the shows want to tap into that to sell commercials on other channels.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ultrafilter posted:

imgur also produces tiny, huge and gargantuan versions of images in case those are things you want.
The so called large version that was suggested has a max dimension of 640 pixels, the biggest "huge" version imgur has is max 1024 pixels. These are relics best left in the past. It helps no one. You can't break tables anymore, the image will be automatically displayed shrunk by the forums. Timg images of you want.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
here's a stupid one, that I'm hoping I just completely miss the obvious.

How tf do you measure sleeve length? I think I did it properly, I got something like 27" I know I have short arms, but even "Small" sizes are saying like 33.5. If you double that plus add like 15" for shoulder to shoulder, that's like a 6'8" wing span which is like 5 inches shorter than Jon Jones, UFC fighter. I measured from shoulder to slightly past the wrist.

I'm pretty fat, and have about a 53" chest which would put me between 2XL and 3XL, I normally need 'Tall' added since I have a long torso and stubby rear end legs. (5'8")

So am I doing something wrong, or am I much, much more misshapen than I originally believe?

just measured shoulder bone to shoulder bone and it's 11", so the 15" previously mentioned I had obviously made up, bt still.

maybe i had a T-rex as a distant ancestor

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shirt sleeve lengths are measured to the center of the back of the neck.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

Shirt sleeve lengths are measured to the center of the back of the neck.

are you fuckin kidding me.

well. wtf. I guess I had been googling measure arm length.

Thanks, pal.

(34-35", actual human proportions, woo!)

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 22, 2023

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I have nothing to contribute save for telling y'all how much I like this thread. Seeing stuff like the goon above getting their answer so quickly and succinctly, or the one who taught me the word "pellucid" today because of a post about light bulbs in their bathroom... Yeah. I love our dead gay forums.

Carry on, I'm sure I've got some stupid questions of my own, just can't think of them right now.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why do you need anti-radar missiles for SEAD if you've got stealth aircraft that the SAMs can't pick up on radar? Couldn't you just have an F-117 or something drop a bomb right on the SAM, undetected?

It obviously doesn't work that way, what's the bit I'm missing?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hyperlynx posted:

Why do you need anti-radar missiles for SEAD if you've got stealth aircraft that the SAMs can't pick up on radar? Couldn't you just have an F-117 or something drop a bomb right on the SAM, undetected?

It obviously doesn't work that way, what's the bit I'm missing?

Stealth aircraft aren’t radar invisible, they just don’t appear as strongly so they can get a little closer before being detected

Edit: ex: SAM sites would be placed with overlapping ranges so there aren’t holes for non-stealth aircraft, but a stealth aircraft would decrease the effective ranges of each site, opening up a hole between the sites to sneak through.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 23, 2023

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Carry on, I'm sure I've got some stupid questions of my own, just can't think of them right now.

I will take up this mantle.

A friend of mine just gave me two pounds of coffee beans. I don't drink coffee but I'm going to start. We have a single cup coffee maker, but I assume I need a grinder? Also, it's gonna take a while to get through all these beans. How do I store them so they don't go bad? Do beans go bad in a timescale that matters?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Poldarn posted:

A friend of mine just gave me two pounds of coffee beans. I don't drink coffee but I'm going to start. We have a single cup coffee maker, but I assume I need a grinder? Also, it's gonna take a while to get through all these beans. How do I store them so they don't go bad? Do beans go bad in a timescale that matters?
You could probably use a pestle and mortar or something, but a grinder's going to work better. Store them in a sealed container in a cool, dark place (eg. jar in pantry) and only grind them as you use them, not all at once.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Poldarn posted:

I will take up this mantle.

Yep, you'll need a grinder. From there you can either buy reuseable "stuff 'em yourself" K-cup type things for your single cup coffee maker (assuming you have a Keurig type of thing and not just, a regular drip coffee machine that only makes one cup at a time?), or a normal "drip" coffee maker (which needs filters), OR a French press (no filters needed, just boil water, add beans, steep, and press. Very idiot proof. That's what I use).

For storage, you can just stick 'em in the freezer. It won't hurt them. I store my grounds in the freezer.

Disclaimer: I am an idiot garbage baby who will drink any coffee slop you put in front of me. People who actually care about coffee will have very differing opinions on everything I've said! I think my advice will do for a non-coffee drinker though!

Oh and also pick up some cream and sugar/sugar substitute for your coffee, unless you like black coffee.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Yep, you'll need a grinder. From there you can either buy reuseable "stuff 'em yourself" K-cup type things for your single cup coffee maker (assuming you have a Keurig type of thing and not just, a regular drip coffee machine that only makes one cup at a time?), or a normal "drip" coffee maker (which needs filters), OR a French press (no filters needed, just boil water, add beans, steep, and press. Very idiot proof. That's what I use).

For storage, you can just stick 'em in the freezer. It won't hurt them. I store my grounds in the freezer.

Disclaimer: I am an idiot garbage baby who will drink any coffee slop you put in front of me. People who actually care about coffee will have very differing opinions on everything I've said! I think my advice will do for a non-coffee drinker though!

Oh and also pick up some cream and sugar/sugar substitute for your coffee, unless you like black coffee.

If you don't want your coffee to taste like garbage, don't store your coffee in the freezer

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

If you don't want your coffee to taste like garbage, don't store your coffee in the freezer

If someone gave you two pounds of beans, it's gonna taste like garbage anyway. But that's my opinion as a coffee snob.

Also they don't really go bad for months if you leave them in your cupboard, assuming bad means spoiled and not just slightly worse taste.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

There's a bunch of stuff you can do to marginally improve your coffee experience, but I think audiophiles and coffee enthusiasts are cut from the same cloth where it's like 10x the time/cost/effort for a 10% improvement.

Store the beans in the original package somewhere cool and dry, grind right before brewing (burr grinder is better than blade), you'll be good. Try both a French press and a drip machine to see if you have a strong preference.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trapick posted:

There's a bunch of stuff you can do to marginally improve your coffee experience, but I think audiophiles and coffee enthusiasts are cut from the same cloth where it's like 10x the time/cost/effort for a 10% improvement.

Not entirely disagreeing with this, but in most cases, your coffee experience can be vastly improved by buying specialty beans from a good roaster and farm. It's kinda like switching from Carlsberg to microbrews in terms of quality.
Of course, like with audiophiles, a lot of coffee enthusiasts get hung up on expensive gear instead, which is definitely in the 10% increase range, if we're being generous. I use a drip brewer with a flat bottom, a swan neck kettle and a coffee scale for brewing. The latter two are more nice than necessary honestly, but it's also the same basic setup my nerd baristas use. The next step for me would be purified water.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ok cool, you've all been very helpful. The coffee maker requires filters which I can get. I'll pick up a grinder. We have a food scale so I can be consistent with how many beans I grind at a time.

I'm pretty unsophisticated and usually drink tea with a little milk so I'll probably do the same here. If I really REALLY end up liking coffee maybe I'll start getting fancy equipment, but I don't see it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you know anyone with a grinder, I would just ask them to grind them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Because I'm trying to distract myself from my bladder and the sleeping baby on me, I'm also gonna recommend going to a "cupping", which is coffee nerd for tasting event, if you can find one nearby. Unlike whiskey, the cheaper options are usually the stronger and worse tasting choices, so starting from fart huffing is actually a good idea. The usual alternative of downing it in milk also works for many people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Protip #1 - start with good water! Filtered, whatever you like best. Coffee is like 99% water and hard water will clog up a drip brewer.

In addition to a drip brewer (think Mr. Coffee or office coffee pot) and French Press (the best way to taste coffee) consider a pour - over brewer. It's a nice, inexpensive way to make a single cup at a time.

Paper filters trap some of the coffee oils. The oils contain a lot of the flavor. It's not make or break but there is a noticable difference with a good metal filter. And it's also 1 more thing to keep clean.

Buy cheap versions of everything first. If you really like the convenience of a drip brew for instance, there are $20 and $200 and $2000 versions.