Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Concurred posted:

it's fine. i'll still eat their slop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cities skylines 2: try that in a small town

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Cities Skylines 2: lol remember when nVidia told you 11 gigs was enough?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cities Skylines 2: A 6700K ought to be enough for anybody

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I'm gonna start inhaling the copium now: The first game they only projected to sell like 350,000 copies but it ended up over a million after a year because huge swaths of the population have that city simulation itch. It also helped that Maxis/EA abdicated the throne by so thoroughly making GBS threads the bed with Simcity 2013.

For CS2: They're gonna fix it because the franchise prints money for them and hardware is gonna advance and meet them half way. I guess it's a question of when they'll meet up.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 21, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah city simulators are prone to very long sale lifespans and often break all the rules about what the sale drop-off curve is meant to look like over years and years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Early access got a performance patch today that is apparently huge. From CPP:

"so, we were told that the build yesterday was release
and before that, we were told that performance would be optimized for release... and then we got that build
then we were giving a build about 6 hours ago that is the "new" release build
which focused on performance and some of the stupid graphical bugs - they are fixed

like 3060 TI going from 27.5 avg FPS before to 39.3 with my settings on the new build
low of 2.2 to 22.5"

This is testing with a city of 100,000 pop, also.

Where did he say that stuff?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I think it's here, he's showing the settings he turns off at the beginning of the stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9_5opzu8HU&t=1419s

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

is he using DLSS? the files for it are apparently being distributed alongside the game but I don't know if it's actually available/fully implemented. CS2 is pretty much the ideal game for frame generation stuff as well.

I'm assuming they'll get DLSS soon if they've got FSR in place. It's a real pity that Frame Generation is exclusive to DLSS 3 and thus 40xx series cards, because yeah, this game is an ideal scenario and it'd really benefit from it. I've only got a 3060. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nielsm posted:

What I'm actually more interested in regarding mods is if the game will store the list of active mods per saved game, so I don't have to keep track of what mods I'm using for one city or the other. Of course it will need a feature to add/remove active mods from a running game, but the advantages to having per-save mod lists is enormous. (Then, if you share your city with someone else, they'd also receive the list of required mods along with it!)

Did the Paradox Mods dev diary ever get posted in this thread? I only just saw it existed. Anyway, as pertains to your question:

Users with completely different mod setups (maybe one for your east-asian style and one for your cute French cottage-core set) can use the playset feature, where entire blocks of mods can be activated as a unit. Playsets are entire setups that will ensure that dependencies are fulfilled. Playsets are, of course, cloud-synced and portable between your devices.

Each subscription will belong to a given playset - This means that you can add collection mods to different playsets and, in this way, quickly build different experiences to your liking.

For some games, the order in which mods are loaded is important. In such cases, the playset will also allow you to set the order in which you want the mods to be loaded. By default, mods with dependencies will load after the mods they depend on.

Other bits: thank god they've got a full web interface as well and it's not all in-game only. And being able to roll back to older mod versions is a nice feature steam doesn't currently have, as well as being able to define relationships between mod versions and game versions.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 21, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I still will be playing day one. My 1080 TI is ready. Bring it game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

I'm assuming they'll get DLSS soon if they've got FSR in place. It's a real pity that Frame Generation is exclusive to DLSS 3 and thus 40xx series cards, because yeah, this game is an ideal scenario and it'd really benefit from it. I've only got a 3060. :(

the pre-release version of the game shipped with the DLSS .dll files. FSR 3 is also platform agnostic and might be able to work with DLSS with some tweaking so that's also not out of the picture either.

If a recent performance patch really has included something like a 40% boost in framerate then the game would probably run pretty OK with DLSS on top of that

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

I still will be playing day one. My 1080 TI is ready. Bring it game

VRAM seems to be the main bottleneck and 1080 Ti has 11 GB VRAM, so you might be doing better than one would expect

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
CPP has mentioned that the performance video will be out late today because he's having to re-benchmark after the performance patch

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

His discord. He's redoing the entire giant benchmarking video since the old results are irrelevant and was venting in there.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Even if the performance are not good I'll play it and have fun God damnit. Because it's the only thing positive that I look forward too on this hell planet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been watching Sips play this on stream the last couple days and so far seems to be running fine but his city's still only around 20k pop which is apparently below where it starts to go to poo poo. I also have to assume he's got a 4090 or some such.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://youtu.be/wyNiXYC9eoM?si=_dW9RNe3KvhFAa1E

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lots of people streaming it on Twitch now. Jumping around, the performance doesn't look game breaking? Definitely some hitching with low camera angles though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol at the 3060 ti that got 40% better performance after the patch turning out to be a 3080 ti

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Looks fine overall, I'm gonna take a chance on it on Tuesday.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MikeJF posted:

Yeah city simulators are prone to very long sale lifespans and often break all the rules about what the sale drop-off curve is meant to look like over years and years.

I pirated SimCity 4 at release, but wound up buying it no less than 3 times over the next 10 years

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If VRAM is the bottleneck suddenly my 6800XT isn't a quagmire of a purchase!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sashimi posted:

If VRAM is the bottleneck suddenly my 6800XT isn't a quagmire of a purchase!

there's footage of a 7900 XTX running the game at 10 fps

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

The streamer I was watching was getting a lot of crashes, some weird graphics bugs, the works. Pretty game though, and some real neat mechanics. I like how they're doing trains, and you can easily do elevated rail.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cat Wings posted:

and you can easily do elevated rail.

Huh. Train or metro? Someone I watched said there is no elevated rail at all, only ground and underground stations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my dad works at NASA and says I can use the supercomputer to play with my cities

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Just don't press launch the nukes button.

I'm getting overhyped about this game. So many good maps to choose from.

I hope you can just ignore building the high rises and keep doing low density villages around the map based on fertile land and mine locations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I want a Norwegian fjord map.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I want a flat map. I’ve never seen crazy rear end hills in IRL cities around me. I hope the Tampere preorder map will be flat, because it is quite flat..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

I want a flat map. I’ve never seen crazy rear end hills in IRL cities around me. I hope the Tampere preorder map will be flat, because it is quite flat..

meanwhile i always feel like city builder maps are too flat

"People from California hate it when there's not a mountain range on the horizon. They get very scared"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've spent a good amount of time in crazy hill cities and they're fun. The problem is nobody's cracked how to make zoned buildings not look like poo poo on hills. Or along curved roads.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 22, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People are complaining how on hills in CS2 backyards just look silly because they just get stretched down these absurd slopes but that's 100% true to Titirangi in my experience.

(My cousin's house is a pretty standard setback from the road and their two-story house's roof is about street level, and that's just how all of them are there. Going down their driveway is fun.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 22, 2023

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

MikeJF posted:

People are complaining how on hills in CS2 backyards just look silly because they just get stretched down these absurd slopes but that's 100% true to Titirangi in my experience.

(My cousin's house is a pretty standard setback from the road and their two-story house's roof is about street level, and that's just how all of them are there. Going down their driveway is fun.)

Where my father lives in Norway plenty of gardens are just down the slope of the mountain/hills.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm seeing more people talking about running it fine on like a 1080 without having to turn it to maximum poo poo mode so I have no idea what to think at the moment. Leaning towards the $1 Gamepass option to try it for myself.

I'm really hoping they get it to run decently on my 1080. Sure the card is 7y old but there's literally no other game I want to play that has unacceptable performance on the current setup (probably because I'm a 1440P guy, not a 4K guy, and I play a lot of not-demanding indies). Elden Ring, Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2 all run at 1080p/45-60fps, so I'm loathe to feel like I need a new system just for this game. The last decade has really slowed down considerably on the need for new gaming computers every few years. It's hard to imagine that a lot of people are going to buy a new system years earlier than planned because of this game alone.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh. Train or metro? Someone I watched said there is no elevated rail at all, only ground and underground stations.

The guy I saw was running freight on elevated rail. Which hurts me a little for realism purposes, but it's definitely in there.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm really hoping they get it to run decently on my 1080. Sure the card is 7y old but there's literally no other game I want to play that has unacceptable performance on the current setup (probably because I'm a 1440P guy, not a 4K guy, and I play a lot of not-demanding indies). Elden Ring, Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2 all run at 1080p/45-60fps, so I'm loathe to feel like I need a new system just for this game. The last decade has really slowed down considerably on the need for new gaming computers every few years. It's hard to imagine that a lot of people are going to buy a new system years earlier than planned because of this game alone.

I think part of the annoyance for some people is that pretty cities aren't necessarily what they're playing for, or what they've previously upgraded for. I get that "it's a Lego set" is probably an even more common draw, I'm constantly in awe of what other people can accomplish, but also I want an ant farm, wouldn't really mind it looking like hi-res SC2k as long as some of that res went to better tile granularity for curves and footpaths, and since that's my taste and I've been upgrading CPU and RAM for other games that cover my niche it stings a bit to hear "a responsive UI will be $400+".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I've spent a good amount of time in crazy hill cities and they're fun. The problem is nobody's cracked how to make zoned buildings not look like poo poo on hills. Or along curved roads.

I feel like hills could be done quite easily with just assets designed not to sit flat. Like for that you need houses with tall foundations and stairs up front that just sit on top of the terrain without levelling it.

Curves would require a degee of dynamic fencing/wall adjustment but again there are games which let you do that, some of the medieval ones go for yards which stretch to meet neighbouring houses and I think ostriv can do quite good joined up rows on curves.

Most games just don't bother.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, looking at screenshots of lots on slopes in CS2, 90% of the bad look comes from the yard fences doing weird stuff and making strange shapes on the slope. They just need to handle those better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cat Wings posted:

The guy I saw was running freight on elevated rail. Which hurts me a little for realism purposes, but it's definitely in there.

Huh. Well that's good, I like el rail. Curious what the station looks like since the ground level stations look like poo poo.

Underground rail is practical but I always prefer el since you get to see the lil trains doing their lil train stuff.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 22, 2023