Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

You're right about 10mm rifle rounds existing, but they'd be even bigger than 5.56 so the idea of 100 of them in something the size of 5 iPhones taped together is :lol:.

The idea of a standard-issue automatic rifle using Mauser rounds is making me giggle a bit. Sure, the first round is probably on-target…anything past that is off with the lord in the skies above :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They have cheap ftl travel, we can allow them some weird composite that absorbs recoil from a 10mm rifle round.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Small Strange Bird posted:

I always took that as there having been a North Korea-style revaluation of currency following massive inflation, so 100 old dollars is one adjusted dollar, or something.

This is interesting and kinda what I was thinking too. However the "adjusted" part I always took to mean they adjusted the value to what it would have been worth with 57 years of inflation added on.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's not US Dollars, it's 70 million UN Dollars. They are very different currencies

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just assumed they 'adjusted' it for Ripley, because there's been a 57 year gap between the incident and the hearing. The amount is an Austin Powers style error by the script.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I won't continue the Alan Moore derail any further, beyond saying that while I couldn't disagree more with this post, this isn't really the right thread for a deep dive into this topic.

Moore owns and is worth a million whiny nerds and corpo hacks pissed he walked away to focus on art that interests him and won't cater to them any more, dude's a legend.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Modal Auxiliary posted:

All in all I think it's a pretty mixed bag. The assembly cut fixes a lot of pacing issues and fleshes things out a bit more, but the awesome performances and sets just weren't enough to offset the nightmare production. 5/10.

This echoes my feelings about Alien 3; the assembly cut fleshes things out but it doesn't fundamentally fix the movie's core issues.

That said, I'm really surprised the movie came out as well as it did with all of the behind the scenes fuckery and script rewrites.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

If we're going to nitpick the weapons of Aliens even as a kid I recognized that a pulse rifle holding about 100 rounds in a magazine that size was kinda ludicrous.

You can see a 10mm round near the middle. You're not jamming 100 of those in a magazine as seen in the film. Also it should be noted that the bullets in that pic are handgun rounds (the 5.56 at the far right is a rifle round) so in essence the M41A pulse rifle is actually just a sub-machinegun. :eng99:

Really more of a carbine IMO - something rifle sized firing pistol ammo with the appreciable uptick in muzzle velocity from the longer barrel

Also

MrMojok posted:

This post and the following discussion reminds me of something I saw on Facebook last night (which was probably written by one of you):

:hmmyes: IIRC modern nuclear power plants are effectively immune to terrorist attacks, because the amount of explosives it would take to effectively damage one is nonsensical

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Ammo and the pulse rifles operate on the same logic as marines and the APC where you're ducking your head to climb inside and all of a sudden it's the size of my living room.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I've seen the aircraft tug model they used to make the APC out of and unless they lengthened and raised it significantly there's no way they're getting a squad of marines plus the mobile command center inside of it. Still looks badass though

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also the drop ship having space for the APC and the missile racks it deploys is not really possible.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Also the drop ship having space for the APC and the missile racks it deploys is not really possible.

I had the MicroMachines toy and unless I'm misremembering it fit a small toy car just fine with the missile racks folded in. They look like they're inside the body but they're actually just on either side of the cargo bay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I had the MicroMachines toy and unless I'm misremembering it fit a small toy car just fine with the missile racks folded in. They look like they're inside the body but they're actually just on either side of the cargo bay.

This is correct, NECA did a small dropship as well that came with a little scale APC that did the same thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, the dropship was basically a bumpy space Huey, with external missile racks folded up during reentry.

The thing you really gotta ask is where's the fuel? Even if the engines are air-gobbling nuclear thrusters, it would need some reaction mass for orbital travel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrMojok posted:

This post and the following discussion reminds me of something I saw on Facebook last night (which was probably written by one of you):

I have a counter argument to that guy.

It's a movie and we have no idea how any of that stuff truly works or is actually made because it's not real. :tipshat:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah only nerds like us pick up on that stuff. But one thing I always did wonder just because the sound design in this movie is incredible (and in the first movie too) is why the pulse rifle fires at different pitches, like at the end with Ripley in the Queen's lair. Just a Doppler effect? Sounds like it corresponds with ammo count.

I can't think of another blockbuster that has such iconic sound design, except for Star wars, which has probably the most recognizable sounds in cinema. I use the motion tracker scenes in my music appreciation classes to show how rising pitch increases tension and stress. Even when it's just online and not picking up any movement it still sounds like a heart beat.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

zenguitarman posted:

Yeah only nerds like us pick up on that stuff. But one thing I always did wonder just because the sound design in this movie is incredible (and in the first movie too) is why the pulse rifle fires at different pitches, like at the end with Ripley in the Queen's lair. Just a Doppler effect? Sounds like it corresponds with ammo count.

Someone told me once that the pitched pulse rifle sound was "actually the un-overdubbed sound of blanks firing cyclic, because blanks aren't filled with precise amounts of powder like an actual round, each blank round's report can be a slightly different pitch" which you would only notice hearing bursts or cyclic fire. But apparently that's total bullshit and it's probably just a flanger effect - maybe even a cheap guitar pedal - applied to regular gun sounds.

What I want to know more about is the xenomorph sound design. In Aliens they sound kind of like elephants, but there's other stuff mixed in there too. Alien and monster vocalizations in general are something I find fascinating and as a sound designer myself, getting visceral and in-your-face monster sounds is something that's eluded me for a while. I understand it's usually sample-based; several different animal sounds combined, but how they're combined often sounds more complicated than simply layering and fading between them.

It's interesting how sound design palettes are both a product of their time, and shared across music and other media. If you play Mass Effect 3, or watch Terminator Salvation (don't do the latter just watch some clips) which came out in 2012 and 2009 respectively, go check out some dubstep/drum & bass from the same timeframe. Both absolutely reek of the same synthesis tools that are the signature of those music genres; Native Instruments Massive/FM8, formant oscillators, AM/ringmod, etc.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The pulse rifle & smartgun sound effects are iconic in their own right, and when watching Alien 3 where they just sound like regular guns is such a :flaccid:.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

The pulse rifle & smartgun sound effects are iconic in their own right, and when watching Alien 3 where they just sound like regular guns is such a :flaccid:.

There's pulse rifles and smart guns in Alien 3?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a counter argument to that guy.

It's a movie and we have no idea how any of that stuff truly works or is actually made because it's not real. :tipshat:

Yeah, this is my feeling.

e:

Mister Speaker posted:

What I want to know more about is the xenomorph sound design. In Aliens they sound kind of like elephants, but there's other stuff mixed in there too. Alien and monster vocalizations in general are something I find fascinating and as a sound designer myself, getting visceral and in-your-face monster sounds is something that's eluded me for a while. I understand it's usually sample-based; several different animal sounds combined, but how they're combined often sounds more complicated than simply layering and fading between them.

This isn’t Aliens-related, but it’s very cool. Based on what you’ve written I’m guessing you’ve already seen it, but I will link it anyway on the chance you haven’t

https://youtu.be/M0iSCfmIdqg?si=Uyp40ruwNfjJ89XH

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 22, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Distinctive gun sounds can make such a difference to action movies, and it's kind of shocking that some directors don't realize that. Done well you get pulse rifles, Robocop's Auto-9, Harry Callahan's .44 Magnum and (on the bad guy side) Karl's AUG in Die Hard, which compared to the higher-pitched rattle of the MP5s McClane and the other villains have been exchanging fire with sounds like a helicopter gunship sent by Satan. But then you can get :effort: jobs like the Alien 3 pulse rifles or the Lawgivers from both Judge Dredd movies, which just sound like scifigunshot.mp3 from a stock library.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe there's a pulse rifle at the end when Weyland-Yutani comes to get Ripley. It's used to kill 85.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

I believe there's a pulse rifle at the end when Weyland-Yutani comes to get Ripley. It's used to kill 85.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

Oh ya, that could be. Its a pretty short shot of the gun firing, but it is very generic sounding.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I'd have to go back and check again but I think the Making Of Aliens book James Cameron created the smart gun SFX on synthesizer, spending days making the perfect sound while James Horner was having a nervous breakdown.

Epileptic Monkey
Jan 9, 2014
So I rewatched Alien 3 recently, and realised that the Warden's office and the morgue's metal stairwell looked mighty familiar. I could be wrong about this but it looks like they were reused in American Horror Story season 2, for the asylum setting. Particularly the Doctor's office and main entrance stairwell, respectively.

I can't find anything linking the two together, but I do know that larger/more elaborate sets just get thrown into storage and thought that would be a nifty little tid-bit, if true.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone told me once that the pitched pulse rifle sound was "actually the un-overdubbed sound of blanks firing cyclic, because blanks aren't filled with precise amounts of powder like an actual round, each blank round's report can be a slightly different pitch" which you would only notice hearing bursts or cyclic fire. But apparently that's total bullshit and it's probably just a flanger effect - maybe even a cheap guitar pedal - applied to regular gun sounds.

Isn't the whole idea behind the varying amounts of powder is to make more energetic and animated muzzle flashes? The differing pitches is just a side-effect.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Blanks need a minimum amount of powder to make sure the gun cycles correctly, and having too wide of a load range could cause issues with your blank fire adapter (to the point that if it's too "hot" you risk blowing the adapter off).

I'm sure they tweaked the gun shots in post production by adding some effects.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zenguitarman posted:

Ammo and the pulse rifles operate on the same logic as marines and the APC where you're ducking your head to climb inside and all of a sudden it's the size of my living room.

The name "pulse rifle" and the 100 ammo count made me asdume that the weapons in aliens was some sort of energy/laser/plasma type thing

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The first time I understood sound design was as a child seeing Raiders in the cinema. The gunshots were punchy, powerful, and threatening compared to other movies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The name "pulse rifle" and the 100 ammo count made me asdume that the weapons in aliens was some sort of energy/laser/plasma type thing

At some point in the pre-production, they were. I know that the Smartgun design was originally going to be some sort of infantry laser. You can still see some of the details in the finished design, like the chainsaw grip having extraneous buttons: they were meant to adjust beam width and intensity.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

redshirt posted:

I really enjoyed it. It was weird and strange and different. What did you hate about it?

while visual interesting, its handling of race, bigotry and policing were tonedeaf and genuinely prevented me from enjoying it. I don't want to poo poo up the thread more about an unrelated show anymore though

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 6, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Sounds chat is particularly relevant at the moment after seeing the Robocop demo, which gets everything else right (the music, the footsteps, the targeting HUD, the sense of being a walking fridge exploding perps’ nuts and heads) but somehow has hosed up Robo’s pistol sound, it just sounds like generic gunshot FX 009. Like, how do you get everything else right then gently caress that up?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On the subject of the very distinct sounds of pulse rifles and smartguns, despite its many, many faults, Aliens Colonial Marines absolutely nailed the sound design.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has a predator ever fought an engineer?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has a predator ever fought an engineer?

Every night in my dreams.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It would be cool if a group of predators pick a fight with an engineer only to find they are completely outmatched, his tech is way beyond theirs and he's more adept a fighter. Oh gently caress, we bit off more than we can chew this time boys!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It would be cool if a group of predators pick a fight with an engineer only to find they are completely outmatched, his tech is way beyond theirs and he's more adept a fighter. Oh gently caress, we bit off more than we can chew this time boys!

The Hunter has become the Hunted....

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

redshirt posted:

The Hunter has become the Hunted....

The hunters have become the hunteders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Predator: *shoots mesh net*