Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile Children of the Atom has to be one of the best books of recent memory. I think it's even topping Ewing's Red for me at the moment.

Yeah, I'm digging Children of the Atom. It's weird, interesting, and surprisingly funny. The banter between Bishop and Cable this week was a highlight. It is kind of weird that all these big world-changing events are sort of siloed off in their own books, but I guess we don't want all events all the time.

Iron Man was fun this week too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think the biggest revelation is that all of what has happened so far, right from the beginning, has been a setup.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile Children of the Atom has to be one of the best books of recent memory. I think it's even topping Ewing's Red for me at the moment.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I'm digging Children of the Atom.

That's Children of the Vault :eng101:. The Atom one was a Krakoa-era comic from a couple years ago by Vita Ayala, which wasn't very good.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stuck between the Dominion being Adam Essex or Cypher atm

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah people are rightfully focused on Duggan's main books right now, but there's actually a lot happening in the "side" books that seem quite important. Hell, the current X-Men Unlimited arc on Marvel Unlimited apparently has big Moira material as Sunfire is dealing with Orchis' Blightswill production in Otherworld.

Saoshyant posted:

That's Children of the Vault :eng101:. The Atom one was a Krakoa-era comic from a couple years ago by Vita Ayala, which wasn't very good.
oops i dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

Part of what helps the current, amazing, portrayal of Sinister is that really talented writers are taking that character cue from Kieron Gillen, who is himself truly excellent. Another part is that those writers never flinch away from the fact that Sinister is an absolute monster and that the poo poo he does is horrifying.

Literally of all the X-Men villains beyond even Apocalypse or Emplate, giving Sinister a seat at the table is probably the dumbest thing Xavier has ever done, and Xavier has done a lot of dumb things. But it's really good fiction.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Air Skwirl posted:

Literally of all the X-Men villains beyond even Apocalypse or Emplate, giving Sinister a seat at the table is probably the dumbest thing Xavier has ever done, and Xavier has done a lot of dumb things. But it's really good fiction.

To be fair I think they recognize right away that they're making a deal with the devil, and Sinister ends up betraying them by like the second issue (in future time).

I think what makes Nu-Sinister work is that he's desperate for somebody to show off to. It's not like he needs validation; he's smart and he knows it. He's just so clever that he needs somebody to tell somebody about his insane schemes, which lends him an air of impotence that tempers the horror of what he's actually doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you either die a dominion, or live long enough to see yourself become the riddler

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really hope Sinister ends up helping to save everyone. He was finally scared and desperate before they threw him in the hole. Him as an unexpected hero would rule.

Plus I wanna see all those other clones get theirs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is an observation, not a criticism, Xavier needed Sinister's genetic knowledge for the resurrections, and through Moira he'd seen ten different lifetimes of mutants being exterminated. So, in the fiction it makes a certain amount of sense, but also, his name is literally Mr. Sinister. At least with Apocalypse he started going by a new Mutant name that's unpronounceable and technically Apocalypse is a synonym for "Revelation." Sinister is a synonym for "Left handed" and you shouldn't trust those freaks either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

This is an observation, not a criticism, Xavier needed Sinister's genetic knowledge for the resurrections, and through Moira he'd seen ten different lifetimes of mutants being exterminated. So, in the fiction it makes a certain amount of sense, but also, his name is literally Mr. Sinister. At least with Apocalypse he started going by a new Mutant name that's unpronounceable and technically Apocalypse is a synonym for "Revelation." Sinister is a synonym for "Left handed" and you shouldn't trust those freaks either.

Apocalypse is also clear that Revelation is the meaning he is going for with his name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apocalypse is also clear that Revelation is the meaning he is going for with his name.

I like that you skipped over the fact I just called left handed people untrustworthy freaks without provocation. But yeah, I think Apocalypse leaning into the "Revelation" thing is one of those happy coincidences where the original creators (Louise and Walter Simonson) didn't think about that potential but later writers saw it and ran with it. It even fits really well with his "Survival of the Fittest" thing that's the main throughfare of his whole existence as a comic character.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I like that you skipped over the fact I just called left handed people untrustworthy freaks without provocation. But yeah, I think Apocalypse leaning into the "Revelation" thing is one of those happy coincidences where the original creators (Louise and Walter Simonson) didn't think about that potential but later writers saw it and ran with it. It even fits really well with his "Survival of the Fittest" thing that's the main throughfare of his whole existence as a comic character.

What do you mean 'without provocation'?

Sinister, particularly through the immortal Xmen lineup is one of my personal favorites for new era Xmen. And you would not expect that from a b tier villain who mostly existed to make the summers family miserable.

It was interesting to see the dominion having implied effects. Up to now it had mostly just been sort of an end state. You get there first and you are all powerful, but beyond that, they didn't seem to do much. The fact that they are manipulating orchis/humanity definitely makes it seem more of an actor and a but more... Sinister.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Caros posted:

What do you mean 'without provocation'?

No one left-handed has ever provoked me. Or maybe they did without letting me know they were left-handed, because they are a sinister people.

I'm going to drop this bit because it's starting to feel a bit ableist even to me, but I do now wonder if there's any comic art that indicates if Sinister is left or right handed, because I feel like either Claremont or Simonson would be aware of the archaic meaning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really get what a dominion would want. it's too abstract.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think it's at this point mostly about getting more dominions of the same class (techno vs magic vs telepathic mutant blob or whatever) so that you can bully the other dominions

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't really get what a dominion would want. it's too abstract.

To ensure their own future existence. They exist outside of time, but they are vulnerable to someone disrupting the events that lead to their own ascension.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think that's the case. They're said to have always existed. This one is also malevolent. And only Galactus and the Phoenix can kill it.

It's probably wanting to survive, yeah, but maybe by taking out one of the two threats to its existence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my super hot take is that a dominion isn't at all what it's described to be thus far because it basically flies in the face of all marvel cosmology (which i know, lol comics, but still)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

And only Galactus and the Phoenix can kill it.

This feels so random, like Hickman just picked his two favorite space gods.

Also, I agree that how Hickman seemed describe dominions and how the current writers (and maybe specifically Gillen in SOS) are using them is different. Hickman explicitly tied it to the phalanx/tech stuff and all the Sinister related stuff is suggesting other things.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think it's random. Galactus has always been like the biggest cosmic threat in a lot of comics. Like even celestials are afraid of him. He makes sense.

So does the Phoenix, especially with it being tied into the X-Men.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not familiar at all with Deniz Camp's work, but I too have been enjoying Children of the Vault immensely.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not familiar at all with Deniz Camp's work, but I too have been enjoying Children of the Vault immensely.

20th Century Men was well-received by most around here. I need to re-read it one of these days.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's a dodgy gambit from the off, but still a better bet than bring emulsified by racists and alien nanites.

Having a viper like Sinister around sucks, but if you get to revive all the heavyweights you actually trust to handle him until you no longer need him?

It's a better chance to take, yes.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

This feels so random, like Hickman just picked his two favorite space gods.

Also, I agree that how Hickman seemed describe dominions and how the current writers (and maybe specifically Gillen in SOS) are using them is different. Hickman explicitly tied it to the phalanx/tech stuff and all the Sinister related stuff is suggesting other things.
Yeah in original setup I definitely thought Doug and Warlocks connection to Krakoa would tie into the dominion/technarchy stuff. I no longer think story is going there at all but I do like this sinister dominion race still.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Air Skwirl posted:

I know comics and stuff but yeah, like, "Magneto is willing to tolerate a literal Nazi that he personally knew of while at Auschwitz" has always stuck wrong with me.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing with Sinister is that even if you don't buy into it totally, which you shouldn't, when it comes to holding the Krakoan version accountable there's a degree of obfuscation caused by him being so

multitudinous

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, they're all actively trying to be The Worst Sinister, so you just kill em all

i didn't know he was a nazi officer but also not surprising

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

site posted:

i mean, they're all actively trying to be The Worst Sinister, so you just kill em all

i didn't know he was a nazi officer but also not surprising

One that exclusively or primarily experimented on children and Magneto either met personally and/or knew of by name/reputation back when he was in Auschwitz.
But I mean really, a Victorian geneticist obsessed with eugenics and with, even by the standards of his day, no moral compass. It would be frankly unbelievable and bad writing if Sinister WASN'T somehow involved with the Nazis.
Frankly it's a shock Sinister and Stasis didn't bump into eachother in one of the camps.
"Who is that shockingly good looking mad scientist?!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh so wait was sebastian shaw in the first class movie actually a stand-in for sinister?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

oh so wait was sebastian shaw in the first class movie actually a stand-in for sinister?

Hmm, that's a good observation, it's been a long time since I've seen it but he is pretty much a mix of Shaw's extravagant lifestyle and Sinister's mutant experimentation. I think it was Apocalypse teased Sinister as a future villain, but when they got around to Logan the bad guy was just Richard Grant being Richard Grant.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know comics and stuff but yeah, like, "Magneto is willing to tolerate a literal Nazi that he personally knew of while at Auschwitz" has always stuck wrong with me.

The mutant Sinister killing the non-mutant Sinister in HoXPoX, I think, is intended as a way to clear away any of the dumber (read: Nazi) elements of Sinister's backstory by blaming them on some guy who's dead. I think Sinister has a line to that effect in SoS maybe? Something like "yeah that guy was a Nazi who sucked."

I think it's weirder that we didn't get, to my recollection, Magneto's thoughts about Fenris being on Krakoa, which is a much more direct link to the Third Reich.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rochallor posted:

Hmm, that's a good observation, it's been a long time since I've seen it but he is pretty much a mix of Shaw's extravagant lifestyle and Sinister's mutant experimentation. I think it was Apocalypse teased Sinister as a future villain, but when they got around to Logan the bad guy was just Richard Grant being Richard Grant.

The mutant Sinister killing the non-mutant Sinister in HoXPoX, I think, is intended as a way to clear away any of the dumber (read: Nazi) elements of Sinister's backstory by blaming them on some guy who's dead. I think Sinister has a line to that effect in SoS maybe? Something like "yeah that guy was a Nazi who sucked."

I think it's weirder that we didn't get, to my recollection, Magneto's thoughts about Fenris being on Krakoa, which is a much more direct link to the Third Reich.

The New Mutants movie also had Essex namedrops. If I thought Fox was smart enough with their handling of the X-Men IP before Disney bought them I'd say they were maybe slowly building to him the way the MCU did Thanos, but realistically it was likely just little easter egg nods, like how even Raimi's plans for Spider-Man 4 still didn't have payoff for Doc Conner being in every movie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

One that exclusively or primarily experimented on children and Magneto either met personally and/or knew of by name/reputation back when he was in Auschwitz.
But I mean really, a Victorian geneticist obsessed with eugenics and with, even by the standards of his day, no moral compass. It would be frankly unbelievable and bad writing if Sinister WASN'T somehow involved with the Nazis.
Frankly it's a shock Sinister and Stasis didn't bump into eachother in one of the camps.
"Who is that shockingly good looking mad scientist?!"
It would be plausible to me that Sinister would have been interested but had been busy in North America and by 1937 would have had a hard time joining the parade. It wasn't like Hitler had a job site on the internet at the time.

Also grimly: Sinister could have done plenty of crime poo poo at one of the camps that completed its operations and had survivors in the single digits

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Nessus posted:

It would be plausible to me that Sinister would have been interested but had been busy in North America and by 1937 would have had a hard time joining the parade. It wasn't like Hitler had a job site on the internet at the time.

Also grimly: Sinister could have done plenty of crime poo poo at one of the camps that completed its operations and had survivors in the single digits

I mean, there were also plenty of opportunities for hosed up experimentation in North America at the time. The Tuskegee study started in the 30s, the US was about to spin up the Japanese internment camps, mentally ill/intellectually disabled people were being institutionalized on a mass scale without much oversight (also sterilized), Native residential schools were still a thing in the US and were still a huge thing in Canada, etc. The last "orphan train" in the US ran in 1929, and we know for a fact that Sinister likes to target them for experiments. Plenty of opportunities for him to do stuff here at home!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I mean, there were also plenty of opportunities for hosed up experimentation in North America at the time. The Tuskegee study started in the 30s, the US was about to spin up the Japanese internment camps, mentally ill/intellectually disabled people were being institutionalized on a mass scale without much oversight (also sterilized), Native residential schools were still a thing in the US and were still a huge thing in Canada, etc. The last "orphan train" in the US ran in 1929, and we know for a fact that Sinister likes to target them for experiments. Plenty of opportunities for him to do stuff here at home!

Yeah, we were sterilizing Native Americans without their consent up until at least the 70s. There's all those religious schools where they kidnapped Native American children and later found out had massive unmarked grave sites for the students. If Sinister wanted to do horrible experiments on children without any sort of adult supervision that gave a drat about the kid's actual well being, plenty of opportunity was avsailable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fritzler posted:

Yeah in original setup I definitely thought Doug and Warlocks connection to Krakoa would tie into the dominion/technarchy stuff. I no longer think story is going there at all but I do like this sinister dominion race still.

The solicitations about Rise of the Powers of X makes it look like they're bringing back the phalanx stuff. And Doug was saved by Krakoa for a reason.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do think the impression of what a Dominion actually is has evolved a bit from HoXPoX where it was like "I'm a bunch of machines merged together into one big fat machine" and now it's more "I have transcended reality itself to become onto God"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, we were sterilizing Native Americans without their consent up until at least the 70s. There's all those religious schools where they kidnapped Native American children and later found out had massive unmarked grave sites for the students. If Sinister wanted to do horrible experiments on children without any sort of adult supervision that gave a drat about the kid's actual well being, plenty of opportunity was avsailable.

That said, the Nazis likely got extra points with Sinister for the scale and boldness of their hosed-up project. Not to mention that by 1936, plenty of both Brits and US people still thought Hitler and his crew were a-ok and the Western bulkwark against the Reds.

But yeah, Magneto not grinding his teeth into chalk powder every time Essex enters the room is a bit out of character. Dude took part in acts of Vengerance just for a shot at the Red Skull.

(btw, do they ever address how someone who was a young adult in WW2 still has the physique of a light-heavyweight MMA fighter? )

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
magneto's been de-aged, re-aged, de-powered, re-powered, killed and resurrected so many times you can't really pin down his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

magneto's been de-aged, re-aged, de-powered, re-powered, killed and resurrected so many times you can't really pin down his age.
Yeah, both he and Xavier have explicitly gotten rejuvenated in various ways - I think Chuck actually got like a clone replica body from the Shi'ar which he was able to migrate his psyche into, or something. Magneto just got turned into a kid or something.