Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asehujiko posted:

Not that unusual for smaller parks to put hotels that close, all three of Phantasialand's hotels overlap with the park because of the space limits.

Ling Bao has Geister Riksha basically running through it's basement, F.L.Y. goes over the roof of Charles Lindbergh and Matamba is perched on the edges of Black Mamba's trenches. AFAIK only the latter has direct entry to the park as a selling point and that's such a tight fit that the path is threaded through it's adjoining ride's vertical loop:

Charles Lindbergh and Ling Bao both have their own direct entrances. Ling Bao’s entrance is next to the gift shop in China. Lindbergh has a staircase that starts next to the chocolate shop. Lindbergh guests were given their equivalent of fast pass for F.L.Y. and can walk around the ride plaza after park close. Not sure if that still happens. It’s by far the coolest theme park hotel I’ve stayed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
My friend likes messing with the Rise CMs too. He had his dual lightsaber sticking out of my backpack when I took it off and put it by my feet. He pulled it out and asked the CM, "Ma'am, what am I supposed to do with this?"

She paused, thought about it, and said, "We'll confiscate it during your interrogation. Now put it back in the bag."

"Aww man, I paid $30 for this thing!"

"Only thirty dollars for the contraband?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm with the First Order on this one, how'd he only pay $30 for a lightsaber? Unless it was a plastic cheapie job I guess.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Cheap plastic one from the Star Tours gift shop plus cast member discount I believe lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

barclayed posted:

My friend likes messing with the Rise CMs too. He had his dual lightsaber sticking out of my backpack when I took it off and put it by my feet. He pulled it out and asked the CM, "Ma'am, what am I supposed to do with this?"

She paused, thought about it, and said, "We'll confiscate it during your interrogation. Now put it back in the bag."

"Aww man, I paid $30 for this thing!"

"Only thirty dollars for the contraband?"

She’s about to get fired for not saying credits smh

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

She’s about to get fired for not saying credits smh

You jogged my memory, she absolutely did say credits, I was gonna say 'units' in my post but couldn't be arsed to look up the word lol.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I always tell the CMs how happy I am that it's a 1:1 conversion ratio for credits to USD

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Next time I'm going to tell all the CMs how glad I am that they speak Basic because for the rest of my trip everyone else spoke some nonsense called "English".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of my regrets about the Starcruiser is when I got approached by Ouanni jabbering away in Huttese I didn't reply in Irish.

My brain just froze up completely. A real live Rodian was talking to me. Wat do?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I post this every few months but my favorite thing was a five minute chat with a Jawa at a fireworks party back when they did them in the launch bay (no idea if they still do). They appreciated me warning them away from Chicago because of the cold and then we talked about family and how we have to take care of them. Lots of pointing at things on the wall and around the room to add context clues. It felt like the most Star Wars style conversation ever.

I also told a First Order officer that his boss was a sad Granddaddy's boy trying to be something and ending up a pale imitation. I was told they would pick out a very particular interrogation room for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arquinsiel posted:

One of my regrets about the Starcruiser is when I got approached by Ouanni jabbering away in Huttese I didn't reply in Irish.

My brain just froze up completely. A real live Rodian was talking to me. Wat do?

Shoot first

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
edit: no one cared lol nevermind

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 17, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Arquinsiel posted:

I loved every video I ever saw of Ouanni and I would like to be friends with her.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

J33uk posted:

I also told a First Order officer that his boss was a sad Granddaddy's boy trying to be something and ending up a pale imitation. I was told they would pick out a very particular interrogation room for me.

One time when Kylo finished his little live-action scene with the First Order troops by the Imperial shuttle and started to walk offstage, somebody— with absolutely perfect timing to fit it in between the sound affects and dialogue— shouted out “I’M SORRY YOU’RE MAD AT YOUR DAD BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU” and the guy playing the officer completely broke character and was visibly struggling to hold in his laughter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hazo posted:

One time when Kylo finished his little live-action scene with the First Order troops by the Imperial shuttle and started to walk offstage, somebody— with absolutely perfect timing to fit it in between the sound affects and dialogue— shouted out “I’M SORRY YOU’RE MAD AT YOUR DAD BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU” and the guy playing the officer completely broke character and was visibly struggling to hold in his laughter.

when they first introduced the talking Kylo Ren at Launch Bay, I referred to him as Ben and got a VERY Stern talking to from him. I've wanted to do it so badly at GE but I almost never run into him. I did get arrested briefly by the stormtroopers when they asked me what I was "recording" on my "data pad" and I replied "The oppression of the First Order!"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Y'all all edgy and I'm over here actively talking to my SD about his seditious behavior toward the first order and how could he betray us like this and stormtroopers don't know whether or not I'm actively trying to involve them or if I'm just insane

(it's both, but watching their heads turn and them skid-step-skid? and start to head toward us then not then start to come back, because it's a service dog but-, is funny as gently caress)

Doesn't matter how many times I freeze up and tut when a rebel takes my SD from me and puts him in the crate at RotR. Doesn't matter how much I go "now don't fill his head with your extremist ideas". They always tell me he's turned sides and I'm welcome to follow his lead whenever I'm ready. Tut and harrumph. But then they break character and wiggle at him and go "buthessuchagoodboy" and I wiggle too because he is and the dog wiggles and everyone wiggles. A+ cast members. It is super weird to run through the entire back area of RotR to put my dog outside in a nook near the exit though and I'm a little surprised that that's how they have us do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do hotel private park entrances work when the hotel is generally open to the public? Do you need a room key plus a ticket?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

smackfu posted:

How do hotel private park entrances work when the hotel is generally open to the public? Do you need a room key plus a ticket?

last time I was there there were people who checked your ticket at the door

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ive never not been allowed to use the Grand Californian Hotel entrance to DCA. I think for early morning magic, they check your hotel key, but thats true of all early morning magic hours.

It could well be that ive just always used the entrance at slow times/had CMs who didn't mind

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They probably don’t need to see a key since all that stuff is linked up in the Disney app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

smackfu posted:

It's still a typical gate with a metal detector and ticket/band scan thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

when they first introduced the talking Kylo Ren at Launch Bay, I referred to him as Ben and got a VERY Stern talking to from him. I've wanted to do it so badly at GE but I almost never run into him. I did get arrested briefly by the stormtroopers when they asked me what I was "recording" on my "data pad" and I replied "The oppression of the First Order!"

We went to the passholder preview when Rise of the Resistance opened and, well, we went to Oga's first I told the First Order officer in the Star Destroyer they had a stupid hat.

She got really mad and put me in my place. Then she immediately pivoted to scold a guest wearing some Ohio jersey that it's not a real place.

The Rise CMs are on another level. :allears:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hazo posted:

Then she immediately pivoted to scold a guest wearing some Ohio jersey that it's not a real place.
I hold that view and I'm not even from space

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

deleted

barclayed fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 17, 2023

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
What's the best last minute option if I should find myself at wdw on oct31 without not so scary tickets (I will be visiting a family member who works at Disney with my wife, 3 year old and 6 year old). Without NSS tickets we would miss MK fireworks but we were considering Hollywood Studios and phantasmic or otherwise I've heard that they're doing a Halloween trick or treating at the campgrounds that we might be able to ferry to? This will be our first trip there with them since the eldest was 2 but we are moving to the area and will hit up any parks we miss by the end of the year, so if there are better non MK options for this trip its fine.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 21, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Gejimayu posted:

What's the best last minute option if I should find myself at wdw on oct31 without not so scary tickets (I will be visiting a family member who works at Disney with my wife, 3 year old and 6 year old). Without NSS tickets we would miss MK fireworks but we were considering Hollywood Studios and phantasmic or otherwise I've heard that they're doing a Halloween trick or treating at the campgrounds that we might be able to ferry to? This will be our first trip there with them since the eldest was 2 but we are moving to the area and will hit up any parks we miss by the end of the year, so if there are better non MK options for this trip its fine.

The campgrounds trick or treating is really something to see. We passed through it last year and there were some amazing setups.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just got off the Disney Fantasy, third time on that ship. Sitting here at MCO waiting to board, but I'll write a trip review tomorrow or Monday.

Overall, amazing cruise as usual but started out with one of the worst group of other passengers I've ever had on one. Also way too many parents who clearly wanted absolutely nothing to do with their kids, which made it a lot of other people's problem.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doronin posted:

I just got off the Disney Fantasy, third time on that ship. Sitting here at MCO waiting to board, but I'll write a trip review tomorrow or Monday.

Overall, amazing cruise as usual but started out with one of the worst group of other passengers I've ever had on one. Also way too many parents who clearly wanted absolutely nothing to do with their kids, which made it a lot of other people's problem.

Looking forward to your trip report, we're doing the Fantasy in three weeks

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I've actually heard that about rowdy kids several times this year. Guests seem to be misbehaving in general, not just the kids.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Also looking forward to the trip report, a Disney cruise is on the list of things we would like to do at some point. Problem is the cruises we would do depart out of Port Canaveral (maybe Fort Lauderdale), which means flying into MCO. If I am dealing with flying a cruise would have to beat out just going to WDW instead.

Been debating a mid December '24 WDW trip to see the Holiday stuff and hopefully cooler temperatures. Been twice so far but both times have been mid September.

We would be renting DVC points from a family member who has 150 Riviera available so hoping for a Tower Studio. Anyone happen to have stayed in one of those before? We are pretty sure the room size is fine for us but always good to hear other peoples opinions. I've also heard its hard to snag one and we just aren't too sure doing a Deluxe Studio would be worth the extra cost. Especially the cost of the trip is the biggest part of us debating going in 2024 with having just gone this year.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know it isn't really the issue at heart but we flew into Melbourne for our MSC cruise and it was infinitely more chill than MCO.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh I find MCO is pretty smooth (and usually surprisingly empty for such a busy airport) flying into it. Flying out isn’t bad either, UNLESS you need to park at which point it all turns to poo poo.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

J33uk posted:

I know it isn't really the issue at heart but we flew into Melbourne for our MSC cruise and it was infinitely more chill than MCO.

Melbourne’s airport is, what, 2-5% the size of MCO? Not at all surprised it’s more calm. I’m more surprised that you found a ticket that connected you through to that airport. What other airports even fly to MLB? Avelo used to connect MLB to Raleigh-Durham, but they cancelled that due to low passenger counts.

Edit: now for a question. The opening credits of “Step by Step” feature the Colossus roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The layout, with two side-by-side tracks in a large ring, reminds me of Thunder Road at Carowinds. Am I imagining the similarity?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 22, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Delta and American both have daily flights to Atlanta and Charlotte, respectively. Delta is even a mainline flight. I also see Allegiant has regular service to a few cities.

Plus a couple daily flights from the UK.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Eh I find MCO is pretty smooth (and usually surprisingly empty for such a busy airport) flying into it. Flying out isn’t bad either, UNLESS you need to park at which point it all turns to poo poo.
The immigration hall is a pain, and every time I find myself there I regret not flying from Dublin.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arquinsiel posted:

The immigration hall is a pain, and every time I find myself there I regret not flying from Dublin.
Yeah I realized after I posted that I’ve never flown internationally from/to MCO.

Melbourne is certainly going to have fewer people, but there are also downsides. It’ll be significantly more expensive to fly into than MCO, your times are more restrictive, and despite it being about 10 miles closer to the port than MCO it’d probably actually take longer driving. I’d guess it’d be somewhat tougher to find a port shuttle, too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A lot of discount airlines flying into random Florida airports from random smaller Northeast cities. Like Avelo and Breeze.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sure, but probably not the random city you want and probably not on the days you want. Also probably not from June through October. If it works out, great, but good luck.

In this particular case, Avelo only flies to Melbourne from New Haven, CT and only on Thursdays and Sundays, with the occasional Tuesday. Breeze doesn’t fly to Melbourne, they go to Vero Beach about 35 miles south of it (and therefore 35 more miles from the Port).

I mean, I’m currently living down here and would genuinely love it if small airport/airline flights were practical, but it's tough to make work.

Anyway, flying into MCO isn’t a huge PITA in my experience. Especially if you’re immediately heading east towards the coast.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah we are in Connecticut and my dad lives in Vero Beach so that is why those two came to mind.

I would probably not take a flight that isn’t daily though. That is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah I realized after I posted that I’ve never flown internationally from/to MCO.

Melbourne is certainly going to have fewer people, but there are also downsides. It’ll be significantly more expensive to fly into than MCO, your times are more restrictive, and despite it being about 10 miles closer to the port than MCO it’d probably actually take longer driving. I’d guess it’d be somewhat tougher to find a port shuttle, too.
The immigration hall is just one giant queue that eventually reaches like four automatic machines to check your ESTA waiver, which are off 50% of the time I've been there, and then another 50% of the time they go "yeah you need a human anyways" and make you go talk to TSA. Dublin is unique in that you get to do all that poo poo before your five to ten hour flight into the USA and when you inevitably sass the US government agent they're not armed.