Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Could you take one or two defender oriented implements?

What levels are you running? I have a Thaumaturge in my party who spent a general feat for heavy armor, which will be plenty tanky until level 11.

Whip + weapon implement has been really effective at locking down targets. He still has a regalia, scroll thaumaturgy, and insane social skills, so he also provides versatile support.

Level 2, currently. Any thoughts/advice for building?

e: I've seen Scroll Thaumaturgy and it looks fantastic - would love to try it tbh.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Oh no, thematically they're fine. Party-comp wise, I'd be abandoning the closest thing we have to a Defender to instead play a Face/Support.

you don’t need whatever a defender is in pf2e

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Our Thaum went 16 strength and 18 charisma, with a general feat spent on armor proficiency. Bulwark means you don't need to worry about dexterity and can instead improve constitution and wisdom. Using a whip with a strength build means you lose very little damage but gain a ton of versatility from reach.

It looks like there are a ton of great ways to build a Thaum, but I can tell you what my has been doing.

Scroll Thaumaturgy should be used for utility spells and problem solving. My party is level 8 and our Thaumaturge has a backpack full of scrolls.

Weapon Implement is one of the best opportunity attacks because it also works against actions that require concentration. If someone tries to use demoralize, you get to hit them. There have been a lot of monsters with concentration abilities, but it is, of course, campaign dependent.

Regalia makes you terrifying. I'd suspect at least half of his demoralize checks have been crit successes, and he's only failed a demoralize check once, against a boss, but he used a hero point to reroll and succeed anyway (it ended up being a crit success). Against many of the foes he's encountered, he's needed a 2+ to succeed (make sure you get a demon mask if you go this route since every bonus matters). You won't be quite so potent at low levels--He made his Thaumaturge at level 5 after his barbarian died. Having people follow the expert when you have the regalia can be a sizeable boost for the party outside of combat as well.

He also took Diverse Lore to get a free recall knowledge when he exploits vulnerability. I'm using the spoiled rules from the revision, so he gets one question on a success and two on a crit. Having picked up know-it-all this level, the number of questions has doubled. This is really powerful if you have casters in the party. Everyone else will frequently delay to go after our Thaumaturge so they can target weaknesses and waste fewer spell slots. It can also be nice as a martial character to know if an enemy has reactions before you engage them.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

If you plan on wearing plate and are starting with 10 dex you can use an Armored Skirt with chainmail to prevent your AC from being bad at levels 1 and 2.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok an actual question on adapting something to run in 2e.

I picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and it seems like a really neat setting and adventure sets. Trying to figure out the work of adapting it to 2e though...

1) Any suggestions on where to set it within Golarion? Or other setting-related adaptations people would make?
2) Does 2e have any rules for ships and ship combat published? And/or would the ship-combat stats from 5e be segmented enough from the rest of the rules to maybe just run those from the sourcebook?
3) Any general advice for adapting 5e adventures to Pathfinder?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Pf2e adventures are significantly better than 5e ones. My advice is to not convert them.

Consider: Paizo makes all of their rules available for free. Adventures are their revenue. 5e can kind of just do whatever and it will sell through momentum and live plays.

Edit: I've heard nothing but horror stories about 5e adventures. They sound more like dream boards you can use for inspiration than something you can run without a ton of work, even if you run them in 5e.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 22, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
paizo adventures do have their problems, i wouldn't oversell them, but they're way more manageable than wizards adventures for sure. the worst-written set piece in extinction curse has nothing on the crab maze from candlekeep mysteries for sheer unplayable nonsense

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 22, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean if the person wants to play Saltmarsh let them play Saltmarsh, it's an adapted adventure/setting from D&D 2e anyway.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Ok an actual question on adapting something to run in 2e.

I picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and it seems like a really neat setting and adventure sets. Trying to figure out the work of adapting it to 2e though...

1) Any suggestions on where to set it within Golarion? Or other setting-related adaptations people would make?
2) Does 2e have any rules for ships and ship combat published? And/or would the ship-combat stats from 5e be segmented enough from the rest of the rules to maybe just run those from the sourcebook?
3) Any general advice for adapting 5e adventures to Pathfinder?

To sorta answer your question.

Saltmarsh is a fun one.

You could largely get away with running the region of Saltmarsh anywhere there is a large body of water, a coast and a forest nearby

Maybe something like Southwestern Mwangi

I probably wouldn't bother thinking too much about its location in Golarion unless you desperately need to put it there, if like this is gonna expand past just running the saltmarsh stuff

As far as naval combat goes, I would probably Google for ship combat rules designed specifically for Pathfinder 2e I don't believe there are official rules for it. But I wouldn't bother trying to adapt 5e's ship combat rules, they are not particularly great

I just quickly looked on infinite and found this

https://www.pathfinderinfinite.com/product/396152/Smoke-and-Sail-a-Pathfinder-2e-Naval-Warfare-Sourcebook

Could probably find some free rules on Reddit or something by googling.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If suggest a location based on the types of characters they want to run. Golarion is adaptable and there's no reason you cant do inverted saltmarsh in Geb (Nex?)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah. Saltmarsh is a generic D&D starting town like Otari so the simplest place to put it would be near Absalom or in the Shining Kingdoms, but you can place it basically anywhere on the coast without changing that much besides what ancestries/cultural groups are living there.

VVV EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot Andoran. That whole corner of the map is the most generic D&D area, so just put it somewhere on that end of the Inner Sea if you don't want to think about it too hard.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 22, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lost omens world guide owns

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
love the isle of terror just being UH OH

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
NGL I constantly mistake "Golarion" for "Glorantha," because my brain is broken I guess. I've never even played HeroQuest, but learning about the duck people has stuck with me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

NGL I constantly mistake "Golarion" for "Glorantha," because my brain is broken I guess. I've never even played HeroQuest, but learning about the duck people has stuck with me.

PF2 lets you be a duck-person too, actually (the Shoreline Strix heritage).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Knowing practically nothing about the setting, I made my Strength of Thousands character as being from Absalom nearly at random and wound up characterizing it as Fantasy New York whenever he talks about home so I'm glad I was apparently not too far off.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PublicOpinion posted:

Knowing practically nothing about the setting, I made my Strength of Thousands character as being from Absalom nearly at random and wound up characterizing it as Fantasy New York whenever he talks about home so I'm glad I was apparently not too far off.

Absalom is probably best described as “Ankh Morpork but not a joke”. Which, fantasy New York is close enough, sure.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

love the isle of terror just being UH OH

If tomorrow my character went to sleep and woke up there, that would be his immediate in game and my out of game reaction.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I got those rules and I didn't like them, bit to be fair I'm kind of an age of sail nerd. Wind has almost no effect in the rules, for example.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Absalom is probably best described as “Ankh Morpork but not a joke”. Which, fantasy New York is close enough, sure.

Tropetopolis, the Big City on trope island.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

3 Action Economist posted:

I got those rules and I didn't like them, bit to be fair I'm kind of an age of sail nerd. Wind has almost no effect in the rules, for example.

I mean yeah at that stage with wind, I would just like find some actual sea combat game and switch over to that for naval combat. Because yeaaaaah that is far far more indepth than I would ever want to run lol.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

3 Action Economist posted:

golarion has plenty of naval vessels that don't need wind so it'd be weird to make it a direct age of sail thing

between all the various magical propulsions or powering screws/paddles via internal alchemical combustion/steam/clockwork flywheels it's just a mess

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 22, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well my group playing through AV imploded fairly early on. Post mortem is that Foundry VTT is fantastic, the AV module for Foundry is also fantastic, pf2e system is... okay? AV is too dungeon-crawl-y and needs more GM support to turn it into a narrative that would get my players to 'stick'.

The main thing was I just really had no time to work on it much outside of running the module. I'll have to either do some planning on adding more of a narrative through-line to AV or investigate different modules, I'm curious about Indigo Isles. But either way I think that group is just done for the foreseeable future so I have plenty of time to plan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think the most I would allow wind to do for a sail ship, just idling thinking would be a fortune roll for maneuvers with the ship when going with the wind, and a misfortune roll when trying to make a maneuver into the wind.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

atelier morgan posted:

golarion has plenty of naval vessels that don't need wind so it'd be weird to make it a direct age of sail thing

between all the various magical propulsions or powering screws/paddles via internal alchemical combustion/steam/clockwork flywheels it's just a mess

Yes except those rules that were linked are specifically sold as an age of sail ruleset for PF2e.

It would definitely be more than necessary, I'm sure, bit I was disappointed because of the expectation.

Dexo posted:

I think the most I would allow wind to do for a sail ship, just idling thinking would be a fortune roll for maneuvers with the ship when going with the wind, and a misfortune roll when trying to make a maneuver into the wind.

Alternatively you could probably just call sailing upwind difficult terrain if you really don't care that much

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

That’s a pretty 5e-ish approach. It seems simpler to just apply a +4 bonus or -4 penalty; similar effect, but with fewer die rolls. Especially since fortune and misfortune effects have some odd rules implications; if the benefit of sailing with the wind was a fortune effect, you wouldn’t be able to use a Hero Point to re-roll any attempt to make a maneuver with a favorable wind, for example.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah after thinking more than like 5 seconds that all makes more sense.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Dexo posted:

I mean if the person wants to play Saltmarsh let them play Saltmarsh, it's an adapted adventure/setting from D&D 2e anyway.

That's fair, but it isn't going to be trivial. If I had to design all of the encounters I'd just make up my own thing, personally.

For actual advice, keep in mind that encounters have different expectations in different systems. You'll need to craft all of them yourself, possibly making your own monsters or changing what is being encountered to match the level ranges that work for a pf2e party. Filing the serial numbers off a close enough monster could work, depending on the circumstances.

Also keep in mind that pf2e assumes that players can heal between fights. This can easily take several hours at low levels, so this can change the pacing dramatically. Figure out justifications for pacing changes ahead of time if necessary.

Make sure you follow the treasure guidelines. Too many GMs don't and it makes for a horrible experience for players. There is zero chance that a 2nd edition adventure converted to 5th edition will be remotely accurate for pf2e.

Because they are different games it is really going to come down to using the advice in the gamemastery guide for making and running your own adventures and applying it to Saltmarsh. I think it sounds like a lot of work but I hope that it is fun.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

just wing it and gently caress around porting stuff over and if it’s not working change it

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah I'm going to tentatively plow ahead on trying it. It's really more about whether I can make time from work and convince some of the Pathfinder Society people I've been meeting to give it a shot.

I will say- I don't know that I've seen a lot of good recs for campaigns built specifically for 2e. The Society adventures are a nice way to kill an evening and get a TTRPG fix, but none have really wowed me. Kingmaker mostly interests me for the kingdom-building stuff (which is admittedly pretty broken as written), the actual campaign doesn't really tug at anything for me. And it feels like the only thing I've read in this thread is how Abomination Vaults is really really hard.

Like- is there's something agreed upon as like the killer 2e campaign?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I spent a tremendous amount of time and effort doing an on-the-fly conversion of D&D 5e’s Curse of Strahd AP to PF2e. Strahd is a standout adventure, and my players had a lot of fun, but ultimately I don’t think I would recommend it. Keeping everything thematically coherent while making it mechanically fun was a huge and constant problem that ultimately came down to the raw game design differences between the two games.

There are a lot of these, but the biggest one I was constantly running up against was level scaling. D&D 5e is a game with “flat” leveling math, where getting a raw numerical bonus to your die rolls is a big deal, compared to PF2e, where every level gets you a +1 to things you’re proficient in. A D&D adventure can thus be a lot fuzzier with encounter balancing, since a monster that’s threatening at level 6 is still going to be threatening at level 9 (give or take a few fudged HP).

PF2e encounters, however, must be tightly balanced to the players’ levels. In Strahd, there are a number of encounters where the players run into some stereotypical vampire beast minions like wolves, bats, and so on, whose threat levels are intended to be scaled by just adding more wolves. You can’t do that in PF2e, just due to how the math works. A level 5 D&D Fighter struggles to deal with their third wolf while their PF cousin crits their way through the entire pack without breaking a sweat.

This wound up requiring me to constantly invent increasingly dire wolves every few levels that kept the players feeling threatened while also keeping the progression fantasy of getting that +1 every level going strong. Every encounter and every monster needed to be entirely bespoke in order to present the story as written while providing an engaging gaming experience. My GMG’s binding is a little cracked around the monster creation rules because I spent so many hours referencing them while trying to prep encounters thematically equivalent to the AP’s casual descriptions like “two wraiths and a shadow”.

On top of that, I had to somehow bridge every other aspect of the game, whether it was big things like loot hoards or even little things like jump distances, to make everything fit. It was a huge amount of effort, and my players ultimately did really enjoy it, but I killed myself to make it work and was so, so happy when it was over.

It’s not worth it. Just play a PF2e AP.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My players are level 8 and nearing the end of abomination vaults. There has been two deaths, making it far less lethal than old school dungeon crawls I've run for earlier editions of D&D. I think a lot of the difficulty complaints come from inexperienced groups who approach it like 5e, where you can kind of do whatever and win.

Since your existing group plays pathfinder society, they won't have any problems.

The battle that killed two PCs, by the way, was a boss fight that was lost due to bad tactics. When they finally decided to retreat, came up with a better plan, and returned to the dungeon better prepared, the fight actually ended up being really easy.

As for cool adventures, Outlaws of Alkenstar, although not perfect, had some of the coolest setpieces I've had the pleasure to run in over 25 years of RPGs.

Edit: I've not been able to play with them due to time constraints, but a few friends of mine are playing through Blood Lords and are enjoying it. The regular updates I hear from them makes the campaign sound fun and not too challenging.

From what I've read, the first few APs are a bit rough because they were written before the rules were finalized. Running anything from AV onward should be less of a rough experience.

I really want to run Gatewalkers because the villain is a psychic space whale but my players want an 11-20 adventure next.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 23, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

blastron posted:

There are a lot of these, but the biggest one I was constantly running up against was level scaling. D&D 5e is a game with “flat” leveling math, where getting a raw numerical bonus to your die rolls is a big deal, compared to PF2e, where every level gets you a +1 to things you’re proficient in. A D&D adventure can thus be a lot fuzzier with encounter balancing, since a monster that’s threatening at level 6 is still going to be threatening at level 9 (give or take a few fudged HP).

PF2e encounters, however, must be tightly balanced to the players’ levels. In Strahd, there are a number of encounters where the players run into some stereotypical vampire beast minions like wolves, bats, and so on, whose threat levels are intended to be scaled by just adding more wolves. You can’t do that in PF2e, just due to how the math works. A level 5 D&D Fighter struggles to deal with their third wolf while their PF cousin crits their way through the entire pack without breaking a sweat.

This wound up requiring me to constantly invent increasingly dire wolves every few levels that kept the players feeling threatened while also keeping the progression fantasy of getting that +1 every level going strong. Every encounter and every monster needed to be entirely bespoke in order to present the story as written while providing an engaging gaming experience. My GMG’s binding is a little cracked around the monster creation rules because I spent so many hours referencing them while trying to prep encounters thematically equivalent to the AP’s casual descriptions like “two wraiths and a shadow”.

Do you think the Proficiency Without Level variant rule would be enough of a change to fix this problem? It might make buy in from existing pf2e players harder, and I heard the math isn't perfect, but it sounds easier than stating up a dozen different direwolves and bats.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Yeah I'm going to tentatively plow ahead on trying it. It's really more about whether I can make time from work and convince some of the Pathfinder Society people I've been meeting to give it a shot.

I will say- I don't know that I've seen a lot of good recs for campaigns built specifically for 2e. The Society adventures are a nice way to kill an evening and get a TTRPG fix, but none have really wowed me. Kingmaker mostly interests me for the kingdom-building stuff (which is admittedly pretty broken as written), the actual campaign doesn't really tug at anything for me. And it feels like the only thing I've read in this thread is how Abomination Vaults is really really hard.

Like- is there's something agreed upon as like the killer 2e campaign?

I think Strength of Thousands is probably the best-received 2e AP aside from Abomination Vaults.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Do you think the Proficiency Without Level variant rule would be enough of a change to fix this problem? It might make buy in from existing pf2e players harder, and I heard the math isn't perfect, but it sounds easier than stating up a dozen different direwolves and bats.

do not do this though

if you wanna run a Sandra Lee style semi homebrew thing go for it. Like there’s plenty of good APs but if you wanna do whatever salt marsh is that’s cool.

But don’t do proficiency without level without having a real good reason

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with Proficiency without Level? Or Point Buy, Alternative Scores, Deep Backgrounds, Skill Points, or Stamina? My impression is that the variant rules that actually get used are basically just Free Archetype, Gradual Ability Boosts, Automatic Bonus Progression, and occasionally Ancestral Paragon. Maybe Level 0 Characters for a "gritty" one-shot or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Profiency without level works just fine but I would not try to use it with being experienced with the system so you know how to handle edge cases and anything that feels weird. Encounter balancing is also way more of a crapshoot with it since the system was not made with it in mind.

In my opinion it's quite a bit of work for little gain.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
proficiency without level also puts you in a position to possibly do a lot of editing of adventures if you're running one. to me, this cancels out one of the biggest advantages of playing PF2, which is that it has a lot of prewritten adventures that go 1-20 and need minimal editing and improv to do something good with. if i felt up to constructing my own everything and building every encounter from scratch, i'd do a system less tied to D&D sacred cows in the first place.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

proficiency without level also puts you in a position to possibly do a lot of editing of adventures if you're running one. to me, this cancels out one of the biggest advantages of playing PF2, which is that it has a lot of prewritten adventures that go 1-20 and need minimal editing and improv to do something good with. if i felt up to constructing my own everything and building every encounter from scratch, i'd do a system less tied to D&D sacred cows in the first place.

I only run my own stuff and encounter building for PF2 is honestly very easy. PF2 way better for that than the average system, GMing and adventure design both have good guidelines and you can do it with very low prep time once you get used to it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
PF2's Proficiency rules as written are weird, but they're In The Rules and so everything published is balanced toward that.

The fact that you can go from "I don't know anything about that" -> 1 point -> "Yes, I get +15 on every roll now" doesn't enter the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Mirage posted:

PF2's Proficiency rules as written are weird, but they're In The Rules and so everything published is balanced toward that.

The fact that you can go from "I don't know anything about that" -> 1 point -> "Yes, I get +15 on every roll now" doesn't enter the conversation.

yes it does. skill checks and tasks are explicitly gated by training levels and at the point you get a +15 from getting trained you're level 12 and being trained doesn't actually do that much for what you as an adventurer want to do.