Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tank bags are the fanny packs of motorcycles.
Top boxes are the backpacks of motorcycles.
Panniers are the messenger bags of motorcycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

I bought this little one for my Buell because of the water bladder, and a normal backpack feels uncomfortable with my aerostich. It converts to a fanny pack if I'm not feeling dorky enough already.

That right there makes me wish the goldwing tank wasn’t a false plastic tank. I’ve been wanting to find a way to carry a camelback but not on my back.

Once you have enough storage to go no-backpack there is no going back.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That right there makes me wish the goldwing tank wasn’t a false plastic tank. I’ve been wanting to find a way to carry a camelback but not on my back.

rok-strap a cooler or the camelbak itself to your passenger seat. you can get camelbak hose extenders or make your own

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is this a marketing tie in with Yamaha? It's glorious anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

twin round headlights remain the best possible motorcycle front end

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

this is gonna be me next season

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
PSL season

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Oh, this is all straps. One goes under the steering head, the others are meant to go somewhere down near your footpegs. It was clearly meant for dirt bikes and small adv bikes, but I made it work for the weird Buell frame. Probably would with a Goldwing if you tried hard enough.

Or this is the hydration bladder if you have your own bag that would already work

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I swapped the pillion seat on my MT-03 for a rack and keep a bag strapped to that. It's out of my way and can expand to hold a lot more than would reasonably fit on my tank.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This tail bag is my go-to if I'm not on the FJR. Plenty of room for everything I need for a day on the bike. Easy to move between bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KZCLGXS

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s meant for advs but this is what I have on the drz for distance runs (and with another harness, on the st.) Front attachment points are a strap that goes around your headstock or bars, rear attachment points are nylon with multiple loops that you zip tie to a suitable frame member. Clips on and off, is a backpack, comes with a hydration bladder in a pocket designed for it.
https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/nomax-tank-bag

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

opengl posted:

This tail bag is my go-to if I'm not on the FJR. Plenty of room for everything I need for a day on the bike. Easy to move between bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KZCLGXS

I had one of these but someone stole it from the garage :o: I have a Kriega US-30 Drypack now. It costs a lot more, but seems nicer so far. You have to buy separate straps for mounting to multiple bikes, though. The mounting feel a lot more solid, however. I like that you can also bind multiples together if you need more storage space.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Toe Rag posted:

I had one of these but someone stole it from the garage :o: I have a Kriega US-30 Drypack now. It costs a lot more, but seems nicer so far. You have to buy separate straps for mounting to multiple bikes, though. The mounting feel a lot more solid, however. I like that you can also bind multiples together if you need more storage space.
I use this one all the time, it's pretty good though strapping it down every time is kind of a pain, but I have never had any issues.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Snapshot posted:

It’s meant for advs but this is what I have on the drz for distance runs (and with another harness, on the st.) Front attachment points are a strap that goes around your headstock or bars, rear attachment points are nylon with multiple loops that you zip tie to a suitable frame member. Clips on and off, is a backpack, comes with a hydration bladder in a pocket designed for it.
https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/nomax-tank-bag

Fits on a DRZ you say? I am a huge tank bag fan and haven't found anything (of a size bigger than a gnats cock) that will fit. Shame it's wow-wee level :10bux: on currency conversion.

As a year round commuter and lane splitter (in poo poo UK weather) I loved being able to throw everything in a tank bag and just strap it on. Everything I needed for the day including wet weather gear, spares, etc. Then pop the bag off when parking on the street, no heavy laptop to carry on your back or panniers to make the bike wider.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Redvenom posted:

Fits on a DRZ you say? I am a huge tank bag fan and haven't found anything (of a size bigger than a gnats cock) that will fit. Shame it's wow-wee level :10bux: on currency conversion.

As a year round commuter and lane splitter (in poo poo UK weather) I loved being able to throw everything in a tank bag and just strap it on. Everything I needed for the day including wet weather gear, spares, etc. Then pop the bag off when parking on the street, no heavy laptop to carry on your back or panniers to make the bike wider.

“Fits.” I’ll take a pic tomorrow, but if I really want to be up on the tank, I’m on the back edge of it. It comes with a rain cover, but isn’t waterproof. I’m not sure how it would work with a laptop in there, as I’m cranking it down pretty good to get it to conform to the tank. They do have one to one footprint templates so you can see how it will fit.

Edit:
Fit from the side, as far forward as it will get without interfering with my bars.

I tested a MacBook Pro 14" in it, bottomed out in the main pouch. It was ok in width, but it jutted out about an inch at the top, and 3-4 inches along the sides.

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 27, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Snapshot posted:

“Fits.” I’ll take a pic tomorrow, but if I really want to be up on the tank, I’m on the back edge of it. It comes with a rain cover, but isn’t waterproof. I’m not sure how it would work with a laptop in there, as I’m cranking it down pretty good to get it to conform to the tank. They do have one to one footprint templates so you can see how it will fit.

Edit:
Fit from the side, as far forward as it will get without interfering with my bars.

I tested a MacBook Pro 14" in it, bottomed out in the main pouch. It was ok in width, but it jutted out about an inch at the top, and 3-4 inches along the sides.

Apologies - I didn't see the edit before. Thanks for the pic, it certainly sits a long way back onto the seat doesn't it. I don't know that would work for me as I sit forward a lot on my SM but I appreciate you going to the effort.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

:nice:

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Redvenom posted:

Apologies - I didn't see the edit before. Thanks for the pic, it certainly sits a long way back onto the seat doesn't it. I don't know that would work for me as I sit forward a lot on my SM but I appreciate you going to the effort.

No worries. Yeah, I’m planning to wear it as a backpack if I need to be way forward.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hell yes

our favorite non poo poo motorcycle games

MotoGP '07 - but only cos I worked on it!

Have a Cycle Pics -

Weather has turned here now, it was sunny at the weekend but its cold now and suddenly we're into the weather where the roads never dry properly and get covered in salt. I rode out to Ladybower reservoir in the peak district, I like riding down the little road alongside it, under the autumn trees.

Bonus pictures, from when I went there at the same time last year. After the long drought summer it was quite empty and you could explore the ghost village that was flooded when the reservoir was built. I found a haunted Mini that looked like it had been there a while.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Furious George posted:

MotoGP '07 - but only cos I worked on it!

I still have my copy. It's the only one that didn't immediately feel like poo poo when I played, plus the Nicky Hayden cover :911:

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
cool! Fun Fact - in europe we got a Rossi cover, don't know who decided Nicky shouldn't be on the cover worldwide!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:italy:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Revbombs 4 Palestine apparently

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I got my studded tires on today with perfect timing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

Revbombs 4 Palestine apparently

I did this last time there was a huuuuge Palestine rally at Nathan Philips Square. Honestly I should have walked (it took me an hour to get home and I live a ten minute drive from the square) but revbombing and honking at all the flag-waving folks on the way out was worth it.

There was a guy standing on the corner waving Irish and Palestinian flags and I was thisclose to pulling up and asking if he wanted to ride pillion for a few blocks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Milwaukee Facebook marketplace continues to deliver. This looks sort of goofy but I’m not super mad at it

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Milwaukee Facebook marketplace continues to deliver. This looks sort of goofy but I’m not super mad at it

every. single. time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

God dammit. Didn’t even see that

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That kinda looks like it's just a West Coast Choppers emblem rather than a regular iron cross. Maybe the owner is just an rear end in a top hat, not a Nazi.

Also is that a 999 fairing? Very odd choice for a Sportster

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like everything about it except for the front wheel

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is that a ninja 250 wheel?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol that is awful

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Who did this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A goddamn genius is who

Air cooled supremacy :smug:

Really need a black and orange :smug: like the bmw one they used to have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Harley motor probably isn’t bad for that application because I’d guess it takes a ton of torque to move that track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also can run on super thick cold oil without scuffing

Also has multiple ways of changing gearing and clutch and final drive configuration