Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

***Pico Owners beware

Probably not a big deal for existing Pico owners, because the headsets aren't dependent on login at all and honestly it would be nice if they stopped upgrading the headset software and breaking things.

If you bought stuff on the Pico store you're likely out of luck using it on any future headsets, but I find it hard to believe anyone bought anything on the Pico Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems ByteDance denied it, btw.

Not that it proves anything.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

Probably not a big deal for existing Pico owners, because the headsets aren't dependent on login at all and honestly it would be nice if they stopped upgrading the headset software and breaking things.

If you bought stuff on the Pico store you're likely out of luck using it on any future headsets, but I find it hard to believe anyone bought anything on the Pico Store.

https://twitter.com/CixLiv/status/1715676242375234011?t=C2p7Ea1SCaeUGgclKQPGAQ&s=19

Cix pulled the trigger too soon, Picos responded.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI Windows won't let you create a 6 GHz hotspot with a Wifi 6E card :(

Maybe it'll still help me out by creating a dedicated channel for the Quest 3.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

App13 posted:

If I just want to do coding/desktop activities what’s the best way to use a quest 3? Immersion VR or Virtual desktop are the two I’ve heard the most about

Virtual desktop works great, though I mostly only do that to respond to a chat or something when playing a steamVR game. Double tap to virtual monitor mode and walk over to the keyboard to type. Some people use a wireless keyboard to fully use their desktops from the couch or bed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I heard about this and more than anything in the past couple of years this has me thinking about getting into VR again lmao... any trip reports on this?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I just confirmed I can gift apps with store credit, so I'll make a cool deal for anyone here too: if you use my referral link to get $30 credit when you activate the headset, give me your username and I'll gift you the $20+tax Virtual Desktop app with the credit I get from it: https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/zerovgs

Zero VGS is a goon of their word and did indeed bless me with $35 credit :canada: and Virtual Desktop. If anyone else is thinking of getting a headset they should take advantage of this deal.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I tried Samba and ended up refunding it. I was getting full combo scores on max difficulty songs and the song list itself had pretty much nothing I wanted to play in it. More than anything it just made me want to play Synth Riders.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I picked up Derail Valley based on this thread's advice and it’s really fun, but drat do they throw you in blind, even with the tutorial!

The game assumes you know how rail operations work from the start. I’m a PM in IT for a real class 1 railroad and manage software that processes this stuff in the real world, and I’ve still had to look several things up. It’s honestly really impressive! I wish some of our software was this straightforward.

Update:
Don't get last-minute indecision when flipping switches, or you'll end up recreating the multi-track drifting comic!

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 22, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Went to go use my Index for the first time in a few months and either I need a new cable or a new headset, it seems like. Blue lights on the headset don't turn on, Steam VR says "Headset not detected". Tried all manner of rebooting / deleting drivers, disconnecting / reconnecting cables, different USB port etc and no behavior change :(

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Do you have Power Management enabled in your Base Station Settings? I was having problems similar to yours every so often and I couldn't figure out why. I did everything you described over and over and on rare occasions it would work. But once I disabled Power Management and restarted everything, it fixed it, and the problem never recurred.

It sucks, because I hate that the base stations are spinning actively and bathing my room in IR light 24/7 unless I physically unplug them, but Power Management definitely was the source of my problems, at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I go to Device Settings -> Base Station Settings, it tells me Bluetooth isn't available.
And in the Bluetooth settings in Windows, I don't see anything that seems like it might be the Base Stations? There's 3 devices with no name but if I click on them windows just says it doesn't have a network profile for the device or some such.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Maybe it'll still help me out by creating a dedicated channel for the Quest 3.

Thanks! Canceling my order before it gets here

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I picked up Derail Valley based on this thread's advice and it’s really fun, but drat do they throw you in blind, even with the tutorial!

The game assumes you know how rail operations work from the start. I’m a PM in IT for a real class 1 railroad and manage software that processes this stuff in the real world, and I’ve still had to look several things up. It’s honestly really impressive! I wish some of our software was this straightforward.

Update:
Don't get last-minute indecision when flipping switches, or you'll end up recreating the multi-track drifting comic!

I honestly know nothing about rail car things, but it has been sort of intuitive. I've resorted to goosing the throttle and teleporting ahead to figure out track changes.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Looks like the HP Reverb G2 is back on sale and is $130 off right now. Is it still okay? I'd rather not buy from facebook, and the Index looks kind of old at this point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Otherwise, Tenda has a 6e router for $105 with coupon, I've seen their brand in Microcenter for a decade now so they're not no-name: https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-Tri-Band-Wireless-high-gain-RX27Pro/dp/B0BN1FWVF3/

I picked one of these up to use in AP mode with my Q3. It's been working great through an afternoon of testing in Virtual Desktop, rock solid 90fps with 2000+ Mbps and single digit latency in everything I threw at it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Suspect A posted:

Looks like the HP Reverb G2 is back on sale and is $130 off right now. Is it still okay? I'd rather not buy from facebook, and the Index looks kind of old at this point.

as an owner of both G2 and quest 3 your "rather not" would have to be pretty strong to solve that equation. I tried on the G2 yesterday thinking I would set it up to play Walkabout Mini golf with the missus and I decided it was too unpleasant an experience to be worth it.

Imo the Quest 3's lens clarity sets a new bar that is extremely hard to go back from.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Went to go use my Index for the first time in a few months and either I need a new cable or a new headset, it seems like. Blue lights on the headset don't turn on, Steam VR says "Headset not detected". Tried all manner of rebooting / deleting drivers, disconnecting / reconnecting cables, different USB port etc and no behavior change :(
I had a similar issue after not using mine for a while. Tried unplugging and replugging it on the HMD side, didn't solve the issue so I left it plugged in for a bit and after a while it showed up. :shrug:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The bobovr conversion kit is in stock on their site at the moment: https://www.bobovr.com/products/m2-to-m3-pro

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kwolok posted:

That last link is only a 6e router. Does a Wi-Fi 7 router support the 6ghz band that 6e provides?

Sorry, I meant to post this one, a $300 Wifi 7 router: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Tri-Band-Archer-BE550-HomeShield/dp/B0CJSNSVMR/

TIP posted:

from what I understand the chipset it uses supports WiFi 7 but the modem does not, so it's not actually capable

I thought the modem is contained in the SOC? Would be cool if anyone had a definitive answer on that. If you go to Qualcomm's XR2 Gen 2 page, it has a document talking about 802.11be (Wifi 7) https://www.qualcomm.com/products/mobile/snapdragon/xr-vr-ar/snapdragon-xr2-gen-2-platform#Documentation. Since it uses the same 6ghz as 6e, I would think it is only a matter of updating software/firmware to enable it later.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Jeez, Microsoft is King of Oversights. Win 11 also handles HDR like garbage, and tries to apply RGB ClearType to weird OLED pixel arrangements. There might still be a way to ad-hoc it but I don't have the parts to test.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hey so Dragon Fist VR has a multiplayer test going and while I didn't bother playing against randoms online, I did play with family in the same household.

It loving rules. If you want to beat up your friends in VR in a Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat-esque way, this is the best game I've seen. Physics based combat, full body IK, somewhat jank looking but it works. The test only has a limited selection of 3 characters and one stage, if you're new to the game then I'd suggest looking closer at the full version to see the full range of characters and environments, spanning just about every archetype.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 23, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I kinda want to buy a new router, but I'm waiting for a router with a 2.5gb ethernet connection (both wan and single link LAN) that isn't stupidly expensive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Jeez, Microsoft is King of Oversights. Win 11 also handles HDR like garbage, and tries to apply RGB ClearType to weird OLED pixel arrangements. There might still be a way to ad-hoc it but I don't have the parts to test.

Not an oversight. It appears to be some regulatory thing, and one you can’t bypass with a registry tweak or something.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not an oversight. It appears to be some regulatory thing, and one you can’t bypass with a registry tweak or something.

But, why?

I have no idea if it's sensible or not I'm just curious.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
I'm confused by the positive reviews/popularity of Dungeons of Eternity. I think it shows there's a big appetite for a dungeon crawler in VR but personally this one wasn't it.

There's bits of it that work well, the party system, the map, the multiplayer works very smoothly, the weapons feel pretty good to use, etc. The bits that I have enjoyed have mostly been the social aspects of the game, just chatting with people and killing things. But IMO there's so many missed opportunities to use VR in ways that would have made the game better.

There's such a heavy reliance on UIs over interacting with the game world that it makes me wonder if the game is just unfinished. There's no looting in the game world other than keys, gold and potions. To open a chest, you pull a key from your inventory and turn it in the lock, but then to actually get your loot you just hold the A button and text pops up telling you what you've found. You then can't use any of it until you go back to the lobby, where you have to 'craft' it, which you do by selecting it on a menu and paying some gold and it's 3D printed in front of you. There's no physical crafting, no weapon rack or wardrobe or anything to look at, everything just happens through menus, no use of VR at all. A lvl 30 home base looks identical to a lvl 1 home base, things are just unlocked in the menus as you advance. Your inventory is just a grid of items appearing magically in mid air. You don't have a body, you don't have armor. Weapons are indestructible, you can't share/trade/lose them, there's no enchanting or enhancing anything.

The environments are really static, other than doors and levers and pressure pads, there's not really much in the way of traps/hazards or puzzles or secrets to be found. Secret doors are literally just doors with a glowing keyhole so you can't miss them. Dungeon crawlers have used fun mechanics to find secrets for literally decades, and VR gives you the ability to interact with your environment here in so many new ways that are almost totally unused here. Let me pull on a book in the bookshelf and open a hidden door, or press an oddly shiny rock and have stairs come out of the wall, or something.

Each room is separated by a 'portal' which acts as a trigger for new monsters to spawn, the rooms are otherwise totally dead until someone walks through the door and then things magically spawn around you. Everything spawns in the same way, appearing from a glowing portal in the ground/sky. Everything is telegraphed to you, there's no surprises, you control when everything happens.

Also whilst it runs very smoothly, even on a quest 3, the middle distance and back has a very weird oversharpening/jpeg artifact-like sheen over it, which I haven't seen in any other game, and is obviously very low resolution.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I kinda want to buy a new router, but I'm waiting for a router with a 2.5gb ethernet connection (both wan and single link LAN) that isn't stupidly expensive.

You have >1gbps Internet?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

Not right now, but it's only 5€ more where I live to go from 1gb to 2gb. So I don't want to buy a new 1gbps router, and two years later have to change it again.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just checked and ATT will give me up to 5Gb. I'm limited by my 1Gb router ethernet port, but wouldn't upgrade if I updated my router.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BrainDance posted:

But, why?

I have no idea if it's sensible or not I'm just curious.

Something regulatory I guess.

On that same note, from what I'm seeing, the FCC only last Thursday approved VR devices to use the 6ghz band: https://www.zdnet.com/article/fcc-approves-access-to-faster-6ghz-band-for-ar-and-vr-headsets/

Maybe they were considering them as "toys" and not as crucial as smartphones, so they were dragging their rear end on introducing them to that spectrum?

Reading more, it seems to refer to all "Very Low Power" devices, so maybe that circles back to why Windows is blocking the hotspots. FCC might have wanted to cap how many "Internet of poo poo" things could blast out 6ghz interference and Windows didn't know if it would be installed on something like that.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 23, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just checked and ATT will give me up to 5Gb. I'm limited by my 1Gb router ethernet port, but wouldn't upgrade if I updated my router.

It's my theory that lots of isp and lots of people are in that threshold, so when ips start offering 2gb and more commonly, the prices of routers able to handle those speeds should go down. That's why I'm waiting right now.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I've been impressed with the upgrade from a quest 2 to a 3. I made some non-gamers play first encounters, and it seemed intuitive enough for them to just hop in. It has enough QoL stuff that it feels like more than just an incremental upgrade. The clearer display, wider sweet spot, smaller device, more adjustable IPD/distance from my face, much improved boundary/room scanning, and better passthrough make it such a better experience. It seems like so much of the hype is based on resolution and processing power. If those were the main differences, I would have just returned it. The better passthrough especially made things convenient, as I didn't feel the need to take it off as much to troubleshoot and set things up. It's much less isolating.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KillHour posted:

Google just started offering 8gbps around here! (it's only $150/month too)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how many dang linux isos are you downloading that 1gbps is distinguishable from more than 1gbps

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

pantsfree posted:

I'm confused by the positive reviews/popularity of Dungeons of Eternity. I think it shows there's a big appetite for a dungeon crawler in VR but personally this one wasn't it.

There's bits of it that work well, the party system, the map, the multiplayer works very smoothly, the weapons feel pretty good to use, etc. The bits that I have enjoyed have mostly been the social aspects of the game, just chatting with people and killing things. But IMO there's so many missed opportunities to use VR in ways that would have made the game better.

In a way the game seems like a step towards something else. It's got the right pieces (in some ways) but also plays it super safe in other ways (everyone understands menus, etc).

The possibilities VR offers (some day) to a social multiplayer dungeon crawl are wild, but we're not there. The hardware kinda is, though. That's the crazy part in a way.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

pantsfree posted:

Yeah. It looks way too basic. I essentially just want Resident Evil 4 VR, but just with a reskin to be fantasy dungeon and with better melee. That's all I'd need to be happy. It's upsetting at this point how much RE4VR is a standard for me in terms of UI, gamefeel, and interactivity, and it isn't even that advanced.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

In a way the game seems like a step towards something else. It's got the right pieces (in some ways) but also plays it super safe in other ways (everyone understands menus, etc).

The possibilities VR offers (some day) to a social multiplayer dungeon crawl are wild, but we're not there. The hardware kinda is, though. That's the crazy part in a way.

I think it has potential, adding more content and improving the loot/crafting system, adding more interactions, etc would be a good start. Right now it feels like it barely uses VR. If this was a flatscreen game I'd think it was poo poo.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

repiv posted:

how many dang linux isos are you downloading that 1gbps is distinguishable from more than 1gbps

I was going to make the argument that higher connection speeds reduce the round trip latency by transmitting packets faster for competitive gaming, but sending a 1500 byte packet takes something like 1 microsecond on 10gbps vs 10 microseconds on 1gbps which I really don't think matters to your final reaction time even if you're a certified fragmaster.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I was going to make the argument that higher connection speeds reduce the round trip latency by transmitting packets faster for competitive gaming, but sending a 1500 byte packet takes something like 1 microsecond on 10gbps vs 10 microseconds on 1gbps which I really don't think matters to your final reaction time even if you're a certified fragmaster.

This only impacts the time between the first bit in the packet and the last bit in the same packet, and literally does not matter. I have 1gbps internet, and the only thing that more speed could really improve is the amount of time it takes to download a really big game from Steam. 99% of bandwidth limitations I run into are on the server side.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I've been impressed with the upgrade from a quest 2 to a 3. I made some non-gamers play first encounters, and it seemed intuitive enough for them to just hop in. It has enough QoL stuff that it feels like more than just an incremental upgrade. The clearer display, wider sweet spot, smaller device, more adjustable IPD/distance from my face, much improved boundary/room scanning, and better passthrough make it such a better experience. It seems like so much of the hype is based on resolution and processing power. If those were the main differences, I would have just returned it. The better passthrough especially made things convenient, as I didn't feel the need to take it off as much to troubleshoot and set things up. It's much less isolating.

My girlfriend has spent maybe a total of 30 minutes in Quest 2. She finds it isolating and awkward, almost restrictive. I had her do First Encounters when 3 arrived and she loved it. It was the perfect thing to ease her back into it. And yeah everything seems more accessible when you're not dealing with 2's black screen, or lovely passthrough.

She loved First Encounters, and was amazed that the debris from the ceiling bounced off her dog. Then she shot my dick a few times.

This sounds weird but sometimes I miss the ring around the controller. They were useful for hanging a controller off a finger on one hand to use the other to reach into my pocket. Or when I was leaning over to grab a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I was trying to figure out why the quest 3 controllers felt so awkward to off-hand when I'm doing stuff, and yeah it must be the lack of a ring. I could thread a couple fingers through and hold more stuff in the same hand. Wrist straps leave stuff swinging around. Maybe some good knuckle straps will help.