Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
^ Thanks!

Kinda makes me want to check out a recent episode. Probably just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The show is definitely better now than it was for the past like 25 years but calling it "good" is a big stretch in my opinion. It's a step up from unwatchable, but I can't imagine anyone genuinely being enthusiastic about it.

I think the main thing to note is that they get to do a lot more crazy and creative animation setpieces these days, which at least makes the show a lot more visually appealing (even if the perfectly on model style is just fundamentally soulless to me) - there are some talented animators on staff for sure. But I still think the writing is largely abysmal and full of the same kinds of typical lazy comedy tropes that have defined most of the show's run.

I guess the most positive way to put it is that it's less consistently dogshit, but the bar is still pretty low.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

^ Thanks!

Kinda makes me want to check out a recent episode. Probably just one.

I watched the first episode of the newest season. Maybe if I'd never seen the Simpsons before the mid 2000s I might think it watchable, but I have and it wasn't.

lol jinx

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if there's more hidden gems in the fight choreography of the golden years. Just got pointed to Carl's smooth block and counter combo on Lenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lbXtyd2L0

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Not going to bullet point it, but is conclusion was pretty much, the Simpsons at it's peak was pretty brilliantly, Simpsons was always a changing show, and modern simpsions is at it's worst when it doesn't try to be anything, and just tries to ride off old simpsons, and also when it doesn't attempt to tell stories and just tries to be a vehicle for as many jokes as can be crammed in.

New Simpsons as it's own thing now, and is sorta decent, going back a bit more to having stories about characters and how they react to things and how it effects things. Letting some scenes just be serious if they need to be for the purpose of plot and character.

He does mention quite a bit how the worst seasons were incredibly vapid fluff, that didn't care about characters at all. Just cramming in a lot of usually terrible jokes, and how the "golden era" had less jokes, but you know far better.

So in summery: Old simpsons is gone now. Won't be repeated. But that's fine, it was always changing anyway. Hoping new Simpsons will find its own voice. Seems to be going in the right direction possibly?

so yeah honestly, thought they were all pretty fair points. There's a big question should the simpsons keep going, but if that's just a given, trying new things while having character focused plots, is you know a pretty good way to go about it.

Didn't mention anything about the voice actors though, which yeah that's a whole thing as well.

I watched the whole video, and yeah this is a good summary. He specifically points out a Chief Wiggum joke and how it's actually in-line with Wiggum's established character, rather than just Wiggum being shoved into a joke sideways as a character prop.

"The Simpsons is Good Again" is hella clickbait, though. At least "Is The Simpsons Good Again?" is an honest question, but whatever the algorithm demands I guess. Fuckin' Youtube.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
SEW videos are really good, even if you end up disagreeing with him. The one about him buying a Dell computer is a surprisingly riveting journey into utter defeat.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

SEW videos are really good, even if you end up disagreeing with him. The one about him buying a Dell computer is a surprisingly riveting journey into utter defeat.

That's probably my favorite of his videos. He spins a really good yarn

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New one: Marge has a dream of when the kids were toddlers and wakes up sad that the kids aren't that young anymore and also sick from food poisoning. She goes back to sleep and enters a lucid dream where Homer's an otter playing the didgeridoo. Her "inner Lisa" arrives to be a know-it-all and explain all the dream rules to her. She tries to figure out why she's having nightmares about losing Bart and recalls pulling a splinter out of his hand recently and realizing his hand was much bigger than the last time she held it. Then she relives a conversation with Bart's teacher where she tells her he's moving on to 5th grade soon, which is "the end of his childhood."

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1712513565435859051

Marge attempts to wake up and attend some school event (Bounce-a-thon, which involves racing on those bouncy balls) but can't make it. She tries to get Bart to promise to take a photo at the finish line for her, but he says it'll ruin his brand, which makes her more sad. Back alseep, she realizes Bart is just the beginning of her kids leaving her. This spirals as a buff version of Homer and inner Lisa try to talk her out of it, until she's yelling trying to get Bart's attention at the chain link of a playground, leading to the T2 thing whereafter a skeletonized version of herself admits she's maybe being "a teensy bit negative".

A dog version of Homer takes her back to her memory of the morning, where he points out Lisa was still excited about bounce-a-thon. She wakes up, drags herself to school, and passes out there. Bart's teacher tends to her and they talk about their earlier conversation and Marge realizes she was putting a bunch of words in her mouth about his childhood being over. Feeling better, she passes out again but has a better dream of better times. Dream Homer reassures her that Bart could knock up his high school girlfriend so they could have grandkids before Maggie is out of the house. Bart doesn't do the picture she wanted, but they all enjoy what he comes up with anyway.

https://twitter.com/AniDom/status/1712513516555399419

Not a very funny episode, but it wasn't really trying to be. Unfortunately, it was nearly all Marge which means that voice the whole time.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Nearly caught up, on S32 now. S32's opening line up is rough, three none traditional episodes in a row, Ep 2 is A ancient Rome spoof, Ep 3 is a history anthology about famous painters, and Ep 3 is the Treehouse of Horror. I feel like in the past they would have chosen between the Rome and history episodes and scrapped the least successful, it seems like a bizarre choice to have them all in a row though, such a slog to get through.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean not that i have much stake in post-simpsons simpsons since i haven't been watching but i'd rather they stop giving money to nancy cartwright so can spend it on scientology crank than julie for doing marge

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The idea of Marge being sad about Bart growing up is always mildly sinister to me given he has now been 10 years old for 36 years

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Annabel Pee posted:

Ep 3 is a history anthology about famous painters, and Ep 3 is the Treehouse of Horror.

I'll be Cue-Ball, Skinner can be 8-Ball, Barney can be 12-Ball, and Moe you can be Cue-Ball.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Marge at least sounds better in that clip than I can remember from the recent seasons.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Capital Letdown posted:

I'll be Cue-Ball, Skinner can be 8-Ball, Barney can be 12-Ball, and Moe you can be Cue-Ball.

You're an idiot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just remembered in a half asleep haze a later season moment I'm very fond of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBVnb85Z-k

As I loosely recall, Bart binging cable TV and losing touch with reality in a sea of incomprehensible pop culture references has aged far too well.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 21, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's not awful but explaining to the audience "no, this isn't really happening, Bart lost his mind" and then Bart laughing at the end to ensure the audience knows they were supposed to laugh at the sequence puts it firmly in post--good Simpsons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just remembered in a half asleep haze a later season moment I'm very fond of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBVnb85Z-k

As I loosely recall, Bart binging cable TV and losing touch with reality in a sea of incomprehensible pop culture references has aged far too well.

holy poo poo...my best friend would make a reference to this scene for years (specifically the "it's finally happened bart....you've lost your mind!") but i had no idea what the hell he was talking about :monocle:

which episode is this from?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think it's the one with an underlying Scientology message about psychiatrists being evil because it has a pill popping bart stealing a tank and shooting down a satellite (which then leads to him meeting a celebrity of course)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

holy poo poo...my best friend would make a reference to this scene for years (specifically the "it's finally happened bart....you've lost your mind!") but i had no idea what the hell he was talking about :monocle:

It's in the video description: Season 14 - Episode 3: 'Bart vs. Lisa vs. The Third Grade'. Firmly in "Al Jean territory". Bart gets bumped back to 3rd grade and Lisa gets bumped up to 3rd grade so they're in the same classroom. It was an inspired premise at least.

Sentient Data posted:

I think it's the one with an underlying Scientology message about psychiatrists being evil because it has a pill popping bart stealing a tank and shooting down a satellite (which then leads to him meeting a celebrity of course)

Season 11 - Episode 2: "Brother's Little Helper". Mike Scully era when they kept doing non-endings as endings.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sentient Data posted:

which at least had "the frame store?? you monster!" in it. Hell, there's a thread, "the one funny part in a lovely post-season-9 Simpsons episode"

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

which at least had "the frame store?? you monster!" in it. Hell, there's a thread, "the one funny part in a lovely post-season-9 Simpsons episode"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sentient Data posted:

I think that's the one where the final punchline is that they're just putting him back on Ritalin.

The delivery of 'It's finally happened, Bart. You've lost your mind." Is brilliant, but the gesture was unnecessary. Same problem with post-golden age where they just can't let a joke breathe.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 22, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The laugh at the end bothers me because it really seems like a "yes, audience, you're supposed to laugh at that" moment. It would be a lot funnier if it cut to real life and Bart was staring off into space slowly and mindlessly pressing imagined buttons on a notebook or something. Of course, then they'd probably ruin that by having Milhouse say "Hey Bart, are you having a hallucination? I want to join!" just to make sure it's clear that Bart is hallucinating and it's funny.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

It's a good line read, I remembered it without having seen the episode in forever

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that's the one where the final punchline is that they're just putting him back on Ritalin.

The delivery of 'It's finally happened, Bart. You've lost your mind." Is brilliant, but the gesture was unnecessary. Same problem with post-golden age where they just can't let a joke breathe.

Yeah it’s frustrating when something has the potential to be good but doesn’t trust the audience. Just watched the movie Totally Killer & it was ok but could have been so much better if they didn’t keep stopping to explain gags. A time traveling character sees a giant racist mascot mural on the side of a high school, a simple glance & sigh would do. But nope gotta say out loud to no one that’s bad.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Season 34 is now available to stream where I live.

Given that YouTube essay tepidly suggesting it might be “not bad”, I thought I’d give some episodes a shot. I watched 4 of them.

I disagree: it is pretty bad. No one would greenlight this if it was a brand new show. But it’s not unwatchable, so I’m willing to concede that current Simpsons has improved somewhat over some of the seasons in the teens/twenties.

Also, should the actors’ whose voices haven’t gone to poo poo get any credit? Yes, Marge is painful to listen to. Homer, though, sounds only marginally off (although with way less inspired acting); Bart and Lisa sound more or less the same as when I dropped off. Lots of the supporting actors sound flatter than the golden era, but Fat Tony sounds identical to the 90s version.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I am not falling for it. I’ve often tried watching new Simpsons when someone says it’s watchable now and I always regret it

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
To be clear I wasn’t meaning that as an endorsement to watch it. It’s still bad, and there are better things to watch. I watched 4 episodes of S34 and won’t bother with another.

I’m just confirming it’s not currently at its absolute nadir.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have we in 600 pages decided what the nadir is? Is it season 17 or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Have we in 600 pages decided what the nadir is? Is it season 17 or something?

There's a poll on this very thread that says it's "Lisa Goes Gaga".

Personally, I think it's the exact frame where Marge looks at the camera and nods after Lisa gives a speech about how it's not their fault that the Apu character is racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMR73D33YU&t=33s

It has all the hallmarks of bad Simpsons. Out of date politics, Lisa as a mouthpiece for the adult writers, lazy-rear end animation.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Lisa Goes Gaga seems pretty universally reviled even outside the confines of this thread. I daren’t watch. Sucks as there are way more deserving celebs than Lady Gaga to have the dishonour of being in the “worst episode ever”.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It would be fun if they pulled Goldberg win count shenanigans like WCW did & just start arbitrarily claiming we’re at episode 800, then a month later advertise the 1000th episode spectacular. Why not at this point.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Personally, I think it's the exact frame where Marge looks at the camera and nods after Lisa gives a speech about how it's not their fault that the Apu character is racist.

That's unfair. It's two frames

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like one of those last few sporadic Space Ghost episodes where Moltar is like "they won't even animate us anymore!"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Lisa Goes Gaga is actually an ironic piece of art by Lady Gaga, an attempt to make the worst "Celebrity visits Springfield" episode of all time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly Lisa Goes Gaga isn't even that bad imo. It feels like much of the hate of it is just people hating that popular-with0girls celeb has an episode focused on her. poo poo like this:

is far worse imo, because not only is it unfunny and lazy, it's also pretty offensive. Not shown in this clip is a bit where Marge reads an "updated" book from her childhood, which for some reason makes fun of net neutrality(??) and also says that media only has spirit and personality when it's offensive. Lisa Goes Gaga is loving whatever, same with the Kesha intro and the Harlem Shake stuff from the poll - it's the Simpsons making lazy jokes / references to a quickly-outdated piece of pop culture, whatever who cares. It's poo poo like this that should be the real low points, the parts that actively spread lovely points of view while also being unfunny and lazy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What killede me was seasons like 13-15 where every episode had at least 2 lengthy songs that were independent of what little plot remained. Just filling time and hoping the writers would get some residuals or whatever.

They were bad before that, but the constant terrible musical numbers just made everything so loving lame.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly Lisa Goes Gaga isn't even that bad imo. It feels like much of the hate of it is just people hating that popular-with0girls celeb has an episode focused on her. poo poo like this:

is far worse imo, because not only is it unfunny and lazy, it's also pretty offensive. Not shown in this clip is a bit where Marge reads an "updated" book from her childhood, which for some reason makes fun of net neutrality(??) and also says that media only has spirit and personality when it's offensive. Lisa Goes Gaga is loving whatever, same with the Kesha intro and the Harlem Shake stuff from the poll - it's the Simpsons making lazy jokes / references to a quickly-outdated piece of pop culture, whatever who cares. It's poo poo like this that should be the real low points, the parts that actively spread lovely points of view while also being unfunny and lazy.

Honestly, this clip makes me want to punch my loving computer screen. A pair of white people acting like it's somehow wrong and confusing that people of colour are now taking offence to a white person putting on an accent to play a person of colour. I'm part Asian, and I've seen and experienced a lot of this poo poo. Like, you see this all the loving time - Asians voiced by white motherfuckers putting on a voice. The most offensive I can recall is that City Wok guy from South Park, with that lovely Wok Mongorians poo poo (I went to an all boys private school, with lots of white kids. You can imagine how much fun that was). And honestly, it's a lot more prevalent than you'd think, because apparently it's loving open season on us Asians.

You'd have to be pretty loving deluded and disconntected to not get why people of colour, specifically those who are the GODDAMNED loving ETHNICITY that Apu is meant to be saying "yeah nah, how about no" at Apu. A bunch of loving whites telling us pesky non-whites that apparently it's wrong for us to be offended by a white motherfucker putting on a voice. It's a problem that has been going on for almost a century, where apparently us yellows aren't fit to play people that look like us, and it has to fall for the GLORIOUS SUPER SPECIAL WHITE JESUS to play us Asians. Something about the white skin tone is apparently more fit to play yellow and brown people, apparently. BUT HEY NEVER MIND THAT, US ASIANS ARE ASSURED IT WILL BE A PROBEM THAT WILL BE SOLVED SOME DAY!

How about now, you piece of poo poo. And while you're at it, how about you gently caress off, Al Jean. gently caress you, and gently caress The Simpsons. loving racist rear end piece of trash show.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 22, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sorry, I just saw red there. That clip just really pushed my buttons today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

How about now, you piece of poo poo. And while you're at it, how about you gently caress off, Al Jean. gently caress you, and gently caress The Simpsons. loving racist rear end piece of trash show.