Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GoldStandardConure posted:

they are all about as insane as the bluey groups talked about in that article, i am sure there would be a lot of cooked poo poo you could filter through for your thesis (please don't take this as me dismissing your ideas on where this started it and what is currently causing it)

There has been a lot of the voice referendum posting & shitfights that i think you would enjoy (or hate) sifting through, as its all completely loving cooked

rock bottom turned really terfy then racist this year. it was always a bit edgy but took it from a 6 to 36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

birdstrike posted:

rock bottom turned really terfy then racist this year. it was always a bit edgy but took it from a 6 to 36

thats a lot of years to be reading rock bottom

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Shitcunts.co.uk posted:

Sam Newman calls for an end to 'divisive' Aboriginal symbols in wake of the failure of Voice referendum

Footy great Sam Newman has called for an end to divisive Aboriginal symbols - including the flying of the indigenous flag - in the wake of the public's rejection of the Voice referendum. The 77-year-old, who in September urged AFL footy fans to boo the traditional Welcome to Country ceremony, was sparked to anger again in his podcast this week by the use of Aboriginal artwork on the ribbons and medals given to participants in the Melbourne Marathon.

'People just cannot help themselves. The Melbourne Marathon was run last Sunday, and everyone who ran in it got a medal ... the pandering and sycophantic crap. All the ribbons had snakes and lizards and were decked out in Indigenous artwork,' Newman said. 'Why can't you just have an Australian flavour for the Melbourne Marathon? (Why) do you have to keep pandering to it all for? Why aren't we just one people? What do you do that for? They can't help themselves.'

Newman welcomed the defeat of the proposed indigenous Voice at last weekend's referendum. Taking to his podcast, You Cannot Be Serious, Newman condemned the reaction of disappointed 'Yes' voters and the decision by many organisations to run the Aboriginal flag at half-mast. 'The people who were the Yes voters said 'we're going to fly the Aboriginal flags at half-mast'. Well, that's good, we've got them half way down let's remove them right down to the bottom and not fly them at all,' Newman said.

He also ironically welcomed the plan from Indigenous leaders to hold a 'Week of Silence' to grieve the outcome of the referendum. 'How fantastic is that? Let's have a year of silence and not talk about it,' Newman said. The former Geelong great and Footy Show host maintained Australians had had a 'gutful' of being divided by the promotion of Aboriginal culture by official bodies. 'We are all one tribe of people. Tribe, I use the word advisedly. And why they keep dividing us, and that's what The Voice was about. It was a divisive document designed to do exactly what it was designed to do, and that was divide us,' Newman said. 'But people rejected it out of hand.'

His rants come hot on the heels of his well publicised attacks on the Welcome to Country ceremonies. Newman urged Australians to boo the traditional ceremony at not only the AFL grand final, but anywhere it is publicly performed. Australians largely ignored Newman's calls and continued to show respect to the ceremony throughout the NRL and AFL footy finals. During an interview with 3AW's Tony Jones at the time he asked Newman point-blank: 'Are you a racist?' Newman replied: 'Please... now you tell me what you think a racist is besides saying me. 'Who have I vilified? I don't think you know what racism is. Racism is about hate primarily and it's if you defile, decry or degrade someone, think you're superior than them or try to dominate them. It's the most overworked word in the English lexicon at the minute... you tell me why anything I've said and what I've done is anything to do racism.'

Thank god the progressive no won.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

/W7iQxMS.jpg[/timg]

But yes, this magnificent route basically abandons you around Wentworthville, and needs to be extended all the way out to Penrith. Mt Druitt is a few km north of that route though, you'd take the trainline cycleway to get there.

I would totally bike from Penrith to Parramatta for work every day. Would be quicker than sitting on the loving traffic I sit in.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i saw his name and his age and thought he was dead

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Unlike Bill Haydon who actually is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooman posted:

fuckin hell man

I don't even have the proper words for this poo poo

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Footy great

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
so, um, we going to do anything about the housing crisis in this country or what?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

They didnt vote racistly, they just voted with racists.

Sure the effect is exactly the same, however

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

so, um, we going to do anything about the housing crisis in this country or what?

no, culture wars take priority now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gorfob posted:

I would totally bike from Penrith to Parramatta for work every day. Would be quicker than sitting on the loving traffic I sit in.

Do it via e-Bike and that will take you an hour and a bit even with some of the detours and back street runs you need to do that link bike paths.

The M4's breakdown after St Marys is a gazetted bike path which actually isnt as bad as it sounds, the main issue is roadside debris. It is a fair bit quicker. The main problem with Penrith - Parramatta is the "offical" bike way is the loving Great Western Highway which I have got no loving clue why Bicycle NSW and the other bike lobby groups agreed to THAT, that is a genuine dont loving ride there.

They should have replicated the M7 Cycleway along the M4 when they did the widening works. Waht a stupid missed opportunity and AFAIK there *was* plans to do that except the Roads and Transport people pushed back hard on it because "suitible alternatives existed as suggested to us by Bicycle NSW" and just WHAT THE gently caress NO.

TBH the first things I would do to fix Sydney cycling is get rid of the present lobby groups and tell Clover Moore to take a hike because she is clueless as well (Most of the City of Syndey paths are just dumb) - and then get cyclist who actually ride everyday to fix this convoluted poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

those who don't have homes aren't working hard enough, is the official line I believe

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They didnt vote racistly, they just voted with racists.

Sure the effect is exactly the same, however

i dont really see the point of getting wound up about this given the 'progressive no voters' were a tiny minority and the overwhelming opposition from regressive no voters kind of drives home their point that systemic racism is so entrenched in this country that electorialism probably cant fix it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Because I saw the exact same bullshit with marriage equality and it pisses me off.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i suggest you direct your anger at the aforementioned systemic racism if you want to do anything except impotently rage although if thats your thing more power to you

a key difference is that despite both campaigns being largely taken over by political misinformation one of them actually had a clear majority of support and one of them didnt and i think answering the uncomfortable question of why that is will make for better informed political engagement

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 21, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

a key difference is that despite both campaigns being largely taken over by political misinformation one of them actually had a clear majority of support and one of them didnt

The Indigenous Voice To Parliament used to have a clear majority of support up until just a few months before the referendum date, according to all the polls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Australian_Indigenous_Voice_referendum

E: note that before the federal election in '22 it was polling the same way, it would have looked like an easy win for the ALP

E2: for comparison, polls on same sex marriage were ~60% yes, ~30-35% no and ~5-10% undecided from 2007 right up until the vote in 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_Australia#Summary_table

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 21, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah and i think even with hindsight requiring a clear referendum majority to constitutionally enshrine it was at worst somewhat overconfident and at best a reasonable call, but i would make the argument simply blaming lidia thorpes powers of persuasion or a hostile press or even the pitiful yes campaign is counterproductive in any kind of meaningful analysis of why the voice actually failed.

and fwiw i dont think its necessarily relevant to compare those two sets of data given the undecided pollees was much higher than the same sex marriage plebecite.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 21, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

and fwiw i dont think its necessarily relevant to compare those two sets of data given the undecided pollees was much higher than the same sex marriage plebecite.

Even when you take the undecided voters into account the support for the Voice was ~55-60% in the early days, so at least 20% of the population flipped from yes to no at some point.

There's been a few polls asking why people switched to no:

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/voice-support-falls-as-frustration-and-familiarity-rise-20230924-p5e73t

... but I don't put a lot of faith in people answering that question with complete honesty or serious self-reflection. The top response doesn't even make sense, people could still vote yes even if they thought other issues had higher priority.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's because there was no real loud public opposition to it until early this year really, but once the no campaign made themselves heard and the libs committed to strongly opposing it that changed a lot of people's minds, when before it could just poll at ~60% purely on the vibes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

no, culture wars take priority now

Yeah the voice was a huge waste of time when everyone is suffering from insane inflation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Yeah the voice was a huge waste of time when everyone is suffering from insane inflation.

Really not sure a lot of First Nations people would feel this way tbh

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Speaking about suffering, for anyone wanting to indulge in some hate-reading the ABC has done a puff piece on the suffering of landlords, where everyone recognises that younger people are 'locked out of the market', but come on fair go for landlords...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-22/victoria-landlords-investment-properties-selling-rentals-taxes/103002408

ABC posted:

The changes enacted in 2021 included new minimum standards, changes to rules around pets in rentals and mandatory regular inspections of things like gas appliances and smoke alarms. ...
"[The tenants] could do things without even asking me and in the longer term, it felt like I didn't have control over my property anymore."

ABC posted:

"I like to try to be a good person and not a bad person, but the government is pushing me to become a person I'm not happy to [be]."

:fuckoff:

edit: forget the gently caress off, that's important when mixing landlords and compassion.

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 21, 2023

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

Speaking about suffering, for anyone wanting to indulge in some hate-reading the ABC has done a puff piece on the suffering of landlords, where everyone recognises that younger people are 'locked out of the market', but come on fair go for landlords...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-22/victoria-landlords-investment-properties-selling-rentals-taxes/103002408

:fuckoff:

edit: forget the gently caress off, that's important when mixing landlords and compassion.

This is such poo poo reporting

"We can safely assume that those properties have been removed from the rental market," Nicola McDougall said.

This position is backed by the Real Estate Institute of Victoria, which says a historically high number of new sale listings are likely to have been rental properties.

AHURI's Michael Fotheringham said it was "simplistic" to assume the properties are passing from investors to owner-occupiers, given home ownership remains out of reach for many.

So homes are being sold, getting removed from the rental market, but owner occupiers aren't buying them because they are too expensive, so I guess the houses are just sitting empty?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

Really not sure a lot of First Nations people would feel this way tbh

It wasn't a waste of time?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

It wasn't a waste of time?

Another classic post by the Australian Three Olives

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Palestine solidarity march here in Melbourne has been walking past my building for ages now. This is like one of the biggest rallies I've ever seen in my life. Unless they're going in a loop around my block but theres just so many people.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 22, 2023

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i suggest you direct your anger at the aforementioned systemic racism if you want to do anything except impotently rage although if thats your thing more power to you

a key difference is that despite both campaigns being largely taken over by political misinformation one of them actually had a clear majority of support and one of them didnt and i think answering the uncomfortable question of why that is will make for better informed political engagement

But I can't punch systemic racism, I can sure as hell punch an old man

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I get they don't actually mean it and they just can't say what they want to, but why is divisiveness actually supposed to be bad?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I get they don't actually mean it and they just can't say what they want to, but why is divisiveness actually supposed to be bad?

The 'divisiveness' they're talking about (making it easier for a minority get their opinions heard/become more visible in the general discussion) is obviously a good thing but if they reframe is as 'divisiveness' that makes it sound like a bad thing. They're appropriating a buzzword because it makes a good soundbyte even if it doesn't make any sense, same as "So much for the tolerant left!" etc etc. Division is bad! If you support them then you support divisiveness, didn't you say you hate divisiveness???? So much for the inclusive left!

Pushing the 'threat' of divisiveness is an old old conservative tactic, here's a pamphlet from the 1910s urging people not to support women's suffrage for the same reason:

It'll cause competition (divisiveness)!! It's all just a waste of money! Some women oppose this measure and we have to listen to them as well! Vague bad things could happen?!??
My favourite reason there is "80% of women are married so the can only double up on their husband's vote or cancel it out!" Uh, yes? That's how democracy works, people vote on stuff? These fucker have been gishgalloping for a long time.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
being under petticoat rule sounds rad as gently caress, where do i sign up?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GoldStandardConure posted:

being under petticoat rule sounds rad as gently caress, where do i sign up?

Oh yeah that's another tactic, the old "But what if they get in charge and treat us the same way we treated them?" bullshit we saw in the lead up to the referendum with all the bizarre conspiracies that the Voice would mean that white Australians would lose their backyards or wouldn't be allowed to visit the beach

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The progressive no may not have been the reason for the no victory, but it certainly helped provide cover for racists, and makes it harder to openly confront the systemic problems that defeated the voice.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
question about petticoat rule; do we have to stay under the womens petticoats at all times?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Theron posted:

The progressive no may not have been the reason for the no victory, but it certainly helped provide cover for racists, and makes it harder to openly confront the systemic problems that defeated the voice.

Yeah it was gross as gently caress. I agreed with everything that Lidia Thorpe was saying about the voice, about the process and that the government should have pulled the pin on it. However, I disagreed with her conclusion that it was better to vote no.

There are always going to be voices who are working against progress, but as a progressive the least you can do is not give them cover.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
my favourite no argument is still that the voice is racist against white people

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Some people want yes, and some people want no, this creates an argument, and arguments are unpleasant.

We should all just do what they want, then everything will be fine.

It's textbook abusive behaviour.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Lmao so after being in processing since may, and jumping through endless hoops and month long silences, including having to perform mutual obligation hamster wheel poo poo for literally nothing, centerlink just rejected my claim today for no given reason. Best I can figure is they slipped an extra task into my queue without informing me anywhere (because i guess its also my responsibility to be just refreshing my 5 month old claim status every day now as opposed to something ridiculous like sending me a text or an email or even an internal mygov message lol) and used that as an excuse to kill my claim. Literally had to happen the week I'm about to land a new job too jist as one final insult i guess. Really cannot be understated how much the system has gone from malicious to flat out non functional in the past year lol.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I have been out doorknocking the last maybe 5 or so weeks for a friend who was running for city council, results came back today and they got elected!

Yay!

Megachud Basil got re-elected as Mayor of Perth, which is less good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^^ I hope that oval office falls down an open manhole.

The Divine Orator posted:

Lmao so after being in processing since may, and jumping through endless hoops and month long silences, including having to perform mutual obligation hamster wheel poo poo for literally nothing, centerlink just rejected my claim today for no given reason. Best I can figure is they slipped an extra task into my queue without informing me anywhere (because i guess its also my responsibility to be just refreshing my 5 month old claim status every day now as opposed to something ridiculous like sending me a text or an email or even an internal mygov message lol) and used that as an excuse to kill my claim. Literally had to happen the week I'm about to land a new job too jist as one final insult i guess. Really cannot be understated how much the system has gone from malicious to flat out non functional in the past year lol.

1. That loving sucks, centrelink is a nightmare to deal with and stacked with nothing but overworked people and broken systems.

2. We regret to inform you the non-functionality is also malice.