Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

Yeah only 30% of them have substandard steel with unknown strength because the company that made it faked the tests.

true! allah do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

From the pictures thread
I want to thank the American car, food, and entertainment industries; the education sector and many others for their work to reduce the offensive capabilities of the American populace.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

From the pictures thread

I want to thank the American car, food, and entertainment industries; the education sector and many others for their work to reduce the offensive capabilities of the American populace.

tag yourself, i'm a triple threat

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

sullat posted:

Yeah only 30% of them have substandard steel with unknown strength because the company that made it faked the tests.

why wouldn't you want your submarine to have sub-standard steel? it's supposed to be there!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol that would be considered sabotage and punished as such by any other country. Just a small fine though, see you next RFP

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

From the pictures thread

hitting that grand slam o7

mawarannahr posted:

why wouldn't you want your submarine to have sub-standard steel? it's supposed to be there!

:wow:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/why-america-is-out-of-ammunition

Matt Stoller posted:

Why America Is Out of Ammunition
Why can't the Pentagon get weapons firms to ramp up production? A new report shows the military doesn't track who owns its contractors, and has just two people looking at mergers in the defense base.

But according to a new scorching government report released this week, that’s mostly just talk. The Pentagon doesn’t bother tracking the guts of defense contracting, which is who owns the mighty firms that build weaponry.

Surges due to wars aren’t new, and there’s always some time lag between the build-up and the delivery. But today, the lengths of time are weirdly long. For instance, the Army is awarding contracts to RTX and Lockheed Martin to build new Stinger missiles, which makes sense. But the process will take.. five years. Why? What is new is Wall Street’s role in weaponry. We used to have slack, and productive capacity, but then came private equity and mergers. And now we don’t. The government can’t actually solicit bids from multiple players for most major weapons systems, because there’s just one or two possible bidders. So that means there’s little incentive for firms to expand output, even if there’s more spending. Why not just raise price?

Four hundred mergers every year is a lot, but of course, that’s just an estimate. Why don’t we know how many acquisitions happen in the defense base? As it turns out, it’s an estimate because the Pentagon isn’t tracking defense mergers anymore. To put it in boring GAO-speak, Pentagon “officials could not say with certainty how many defense-related M&A now occur annually because they no longer track or maintain data on all M&A in the defense industrial base.” So the DOD is almost totally blind to the corporate owners of contractors and subcontractors, which might be one reason that, say, Chinese alloys are being discovered in sensitive weapons systems like the state of the art F-35.

The Pentagon’s head-in-the-sand approach is why Lockheed now has a chokehold on nuclear missile modernization, since it bought the key supplier of rocket engines and denies those engines to rivals bidding for the contract to upgrade what is known as the nuclear triad.

More interesting explanations and links to more stories inside.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
we lost the war, but for a brief moment we generated a lot of shareholder value

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

From the pictures thread

mental illness is encouraged and spread by cia

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Votskomit posted:

https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/why-america-is-out-of-ammunition

More interesting explanations and links to more stories inside.

lol, and furthermore, lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if only there was an economic theory that explained the tendency of capital to drive towards monopoly, but alas

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

if only there was an economic theory that explained the tendency of capital to drive towards monopoly, but alas

yeah it’s call “monopoly” and it’s made by hasbro. idiots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would play state monopoly anytime

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I thought we still had a seawolf we were scrapping for parts for you guys? Im pretty sure you guys gave us your lovely lithium hydroxite canisters when we needed some while we were up north working with you guys lol.

Curious if the Connecticut will even be fixed at this point. Could be they have no choice because they are the Ferrari of submarines. I was the parts / maintenance planner / QAS guy for the nuclear machinery division and there was so much maintenance that we just said we did, because the command culture was so toxic.

We were in this insane situation where in order for us to do /any/ maintenance, we literally had to brief the captain. For some reason the command didn't notice when corrective maintenance items were simply 'done'. My buddy and I would do very serious, subsafe related maintenance, in the middle of the night when we were on duty because that's what the command ultimately wanted whether they knew it or not.

So periodic maintenance - such as weekly running of lube oil pumps while manually rotating the turbine (while in port)? I never knew how to actually do it. The process of doing anything was so convoluted and frustrating, and when the captain sees all the stuff we got done, he doesn't stop to ask, 'Wait, they didn't tell me they were doing this'. loving liberal deluded doublethink.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
the problem is being solved
DOD Aims to Publish 1st National Defense Industrial Strategy

www.defense.gov posted:

By December, the Defense Department hopes to issue its first-ever National Defense Industrial Strategy, which will be followed by DOD's implementation plan, said Laura D. Taylor-Kale, assistant secretary of defense for industrial base policy. 

Taylor-Kale, who spoke yesterday at the 2023 Defense Conference, was confirmed by the Senate in March as the first assistant secretary of defense for industrial base policy.  
She advises the undersecretary of defense and other senior defense leaders on all matters pertaining to industrial base resilience, workforce development, innovation, investment and policy. And, she also is shepherding the strategy's development. 

That strategy will focus on creating a clear road map for how the department will prioritize and modernize the U.S. industrial base, she said. 

"We've seen in the response to COVID and the conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East that our industrial ecosystem needs to be ready to provide the capabilities … that the department needs," Taylor-Kale said. 

The goal, she said, is to work in partnership with industry, with the inter-agencies, with Congress and with allies and partners to make defense industrial policy work much more smoothly and strategically, she said. 

"This strategy is meant to catalyze a generational change that will guide the department's focus and policy development and programs and investment in the industrial base for the next three-to-five years," she said. 
The key areas of the strategy, she said, are: 

• Creating resilient supply chains 
• Having an industrial base that can produce capabilities, services and technologies that are needed at speed, scale and cost 
• Ensuring workforce readiness and development 
• Delivering flexible acquisitions 
• Building in metrics for measurable outcomes 

Taylor-Kale said her office hopes to attract new, innovative, non-traditional companies into the industrial base, particularly those that connect dual-use technologies with the emerging needs of the warfighter.  

"I want to emphasize that the task before us is really critical. Creating a modern defense industrial ecosystem will take all of us working together. Please come to us with your ideas. We want to partner with you. I want to partner with you to make this work. We in government cannot do this alone. And frankly, we're not trying to do this alone," she said, speaking to industry representatives in attendance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Curious if the Connecticut will even be fixed at this point. Could be they have no choice because they are the Ferrari of submarines. I was the parts / maintenance planner / QAS guy for the nuclear machinery division and there was so much maintenance that we just said we did, because the command culture was so toxic.

We were in this insane situation where in order for us to do /any/ maintenance, we literally had to brief the captain. For some reason the command didn't notice when corrective maintenance items were simply 'done'. My buddy and I would do very serious, subsafe related maintenance, in the middle of the night when we were on duty because that's what the command ultimately wanted whether they knew it or not.

So periodic maintenance - such as weekly running of lube oil pumps while manually rotating the turbine (while in port)? I never knew how to actually do it. The process of doing anything was so convoluted and frustrating, and when the captain sees all the stuff we got done, he doesn't stop to ask, 'Wait, they didn't tell me they were doing this'. loving liberal deluded doublethink.

Why in the middle of the night? Where is the command culture coming into this? Are they micromanaging but letting also just signing on whatever?

This is actually really interesting and that's all just follow up Qs. Maintaining a nuclear sub is dope as hell. I just maintain computers and it sucks and nothing has a control rod or is under high pressure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yeah please elaborate on some of this stuff

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

From the pictures thread

There was a pre-boot camp for overweight recruits during the Iraq War. When the Army dropped the recruiting requirements to the floor.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

”This strategy is meant to catalyze a generational change that will guide the department's focus and policy development and programs and investment in the industrial base for the next three-to-five years," she said.”

Oh no! They have found out about the power of the Five Year Plan! Maybe Amerikkka will get it’s poo poo together?

quote:

“Please come to us with your ideas. We want to partner with you. I want to partner with you to make this work. We in government cannot do this alone. And frankly, we're not trying to do this alone,"

Lol never mind, they’re still hosed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Punished Turtle posted:

Oh no! They have found out about the power of the Five Year Plan! Maybe Amerikkka will get it’s poo poo together?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

DancingShade posted:

All of the robot dogs have rendered unserviceable while in storage owing to all the fancy high tech materials degrading over time. The shells can sit in a box for decades.

SPGs win by default due to a no show.

Watch a dankpods YouTube video where he opens up ancient mint condition MP3 players. Some of the materials break down and get really nasty, even when still sealed. Unless those robot dogs are all metal inside and out they're going to go bad. It's just physics.

From several pages back, but that's polymers baby! You can make high performance TPU rubber and other plastics that are super resistant to physical abrasion, heat, oil and grease, chemically resistant, etc... but still get owned by Father Time. Polyurethane basically turns into plastic sand on its own even when babied, much to the chagrin of many a sneakerhead.

Electrolytic capacitors and batteries also have a limited lifespan, even when kept at room temperature. It's much worse when all the spare batteries for the K-9 combat drones have been in deep discharge sitting at 100°F in an un-airconditioned warehouse for 2 years straight.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Punished Turtle posted:

AI grifting goes brrrrrrr

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1715701194461479036

selling off all these unneeded logistics ships because the end of history is upon us lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
whoops we spent tenth of a billion on irreplaceable ammo shooting down flying lawnmovers

but this is why we are actually winning,

Palladium has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Oct 22, 2023

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

just keep firing Houthis, the US literally can't keep this up

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Danann posted:

selling off all these unneeded logistics ships because the end of history is upon us lmao

it could have been though, all we had to do was not give ghouls control of the former ussr while spending 20 years dancing in the end zone. And I guess not conspiring with Israel and Saudi Arabia, and not holding insane grudges against Iran and Cuba and Nicaragua and…

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Complications posted:

just keep firing Houthis, the US literally can't keep this up

progress bar moving on achievement: "china has more boats than US has boat-based SAM missiles"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1715701194461479036

lol every time I think I’m being flippant about the state of decay I learn something new like this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The next issue after the Navy not having ship tenders is whether there are even any missiles Stateside to reload with

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://x.com/mercoglianos/status/1715701508828782671?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

The next issue after the Navy not having ship tenders is whether there are even any missiles Stateside to reload with

every reload is now counted in terms of a new chinese destroyer built per month

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So what weapon the Houthis used to shoot at the US ship, can they do a saturation attack to overwhelm the defense system?

BTW they had a military parade a couple months ago. It was pretty cool. They had all the handicapped veterans on the march and showed tons of different drones in the end.

https://b23.tv/VSy4ERR

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Oct 22, 2023

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Palladium posted:

every reload is now counted in terms of a new chinese destroyer built per month

if one side can build ships faster than the other can build ammunition to shoot at those ships, which side is more likely to win??

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It reminds me of that old EVE saying , I think from Goonswarm " My ships cost less than your bullets".

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

skooma512 posted:

Why in the middle of the night? Where is the command culture coming into this? Are they micromanaging but letting also just signing on whatever?

This is actually really interesting and that's all just follow up Qs. Maintaining a nuclear sub is dope as hell. I just maintain computers and it sucks and nothing has a control rod or is under high pressure.

Right - - Like any sort of specialized bureaucratic insanity this is going to be difficult to condense but I'll try my best. By the way, the SSN-22 is a very special submarine. The nature of the seawolf platform means that suffering amongst the new guys is guaranteed. People typically don't re-up (particularly the nukes), and more senior enlisted come from the 688 class, so the nature of how everything works is completely different. There's 8 torpedo tubes instead of 4 which is twice the maintenance, sure, but SUBSAFE requires paperwork and folks with specialized training to ensure correct assembly of parts. I was a QAI for the nuke MM department, but there were times I would have to help the torpedo division with QA.

I'm not sure if they changed specifically how maintenance worked, but my guess is the general workflow is the same:

Two types of maintenance, corrective (poo poo broke) and preventative; things that have to be done daily, weekly, monthly, every five years, you name it.

Preventative maintenance has it's own systems, there is a system for primary (nuclear/reactor) maintenance, and secondary (Steam, lube oil, air conditioners, potable water, seawater cooling, to name a few). I didn't work with the preventative maintenance systems, I only understood them from a logistical standpoint - o-rings and poo poo. (I DID turn wrenches and did QA on every single maintenance item in the engine room, primary and secondary(secret edit 3 if you're reading this now: There are probably some maintenance items with a 5 or 10 year or more thing i never did, and I explain a very specific institutionally unknown weekly maintenance item later).

For every single maintenance job, there is a question of whether parts are required, and there is a separate system that tracks all maintenance requiring parts. If a shaft seal for a pump quits, generally the workflow would go:

"Oh poo poo it quit" ->

Inform Maneuvering (Reactor control room, lead by the Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW)), and inform the Engineering Watch Supervisor (EWS) and Engine Room Supervisor (ERS). Usually if it's no poo poo broke then there's some kind of backup and you just use the backup. ->

The Ship's Engineer is informed and if the nature of the problem means it cannot be fixed in the next couple of days, they might make a standing order that gives procedures on how to operate the system in a diminished state (These standing orders will sometimes last for years, there were temporary standing orders that lived longer than my time on the vessel and might still have been in effect). ->

You wake up ProfessorBooty and he's the SNOB so he's kind of annoyed but is also a work obsessed psycho so can't help but to determine the nature of the problem as soon as possible. Also you wake up the chief because of course no problem can't have too many ignorant morons->

A 'job' is opened up in the logistics system I mentioned before. It's like any ticketing system really (It can also be used to request for outside assistance with work, like from a shipyard or a tender). The system is also used to find all the parts required to fix any device on board, and the system will helpfully tell you if the replacement part is stored on board. The shaft seal for the pump might just be in one of the supply department lockers. The system will helpfully tell us that and we can come up with a maintenance plan immediately ->

Now we have to split into the land of 'what's required', and the land of 'What kind of insane imagined bullshit is the command going to put upon us'. And this is where my poorly directed rant came from.

What's required:

Suppose this is a small pump, the shaft seal can be procured onboard, and the sailors are capable of doing it themselves. They come up with a Tag out plan and provide it to the EOOW, they brief the EOOW on the maintenance. The EOOW informs the Engineer and the Engineer informs the Captain. If the captain has any concerns then usually you have an experienced, wise chief who can help the captain at ease, because they've done these shaft seals before on their last boat, which was definitely the same platform. If in port, depending on the shipyard rules, they might have to use a 'Work Authorization Form' (WAF) to formalize proceeding with the work.

What kind of insane imagined bullshit is the command going to put upon us:

The EOOW informs the Engineer who informs the captain. The division chief is woken up, the parts guy is woken up, the division officer is woken up, the MM1 is woken up, Every single moron in the universe crowds the problem like they're looking at Hank Hill's ford.

Of course nobody knows the SUBSAFE requirements, so just in case, they treat anything that has seawater in it like it is SUBSAFE.

ProfessorBooty tries to do method one, determines the parts required, puts in a job and orders the parts, while someone does a Tag Out.

The 'standard' though is that we proceed as if this whole thing is a SUBSAFE system. So ProfessorBooty goes ahead and writes a procedure that meet all of the requirements. It's not a subsafe system, so there are no subsafe parts to track ('software', such as o-rings and shaft seals, are tracked less stringently than 'hardware', such as a valve body, pump body, or a valve shaft). So ProfessorBooty writes the procedure to the level of the maintenance person:

'Using Reference (1) as a guide, repair and replace the pump-01 shaft seal'.

That gets kicked back, the engineer wants me to effectively transcribe the loving book into a procedure, despite the fact that the maintenance workers drat well better have a loving book to begin with. Also he wants me to track the shaft seal as if it is SUBSAFE, which in my opinion is a huge no-no but I guess nobody in SUBSAFE cares if people show a fundamental misunderstanding on what SUBSAFE even is.

Regardless after the very intentionally made convoluted telephone game of masses of senior idiots who want to feel like they're actually good at what they do, the pump finally gets fixed, and it was so stressful that I'm REALLY not interested in experiencing THAT again.

Because the -22 was one of three boats, and the most evil submarine got top priority (USS Jimmy Carter), generally we would have equipment that was just permanently broken. We had a new command, and his style was insanely draconian. I guess he could have been an alright guy, but the fact that he had to get his nose in everything was loving frustrating. The most simple of errors happen and he acts like it is the end of the world. At one point, he wanted to be briefed on literally EVERY SINGLE maintenance item, including ones that we technically didn't need permission for, such as lubricating the lathe.

Not only this, but he must have had some kind of Silicon Valley business psycho degree because every single week he would review the number of jobs each division would have in the logistics systems and ask why the ones that have been in there for the longest are still there (THE PART WE NEED DOESN'T EXIST gently caress).

In my time there, we would frequently have days where we would all come in, sit around literally all day while our chief and division officer brief the captain on what we're doing that day, and then when 7 PM rolls around, you know, when the captain finally loving leaves, we finally start work for the day (No, we are not doing a good job, and if this is a preventative maintenance item, we might pull a 'let's not and say we did').

Eventually weekly, monthly, and some quarterly preventive maintenance items simply wouldn't be done. As a matter of fact, there were some seawater strainers that we would not do, and when the strainer pressure differential was too high, the watchstanders would proceed to correct it without informing the maneuvering room. This involves taking a heavy rear end three inch cap off of a strainer, I got so good at it I could do it in less than five minutes.

There were weekly maintenance items I never actually learned to do. The turbine electric generators didn't have a system to keep the shaft turning like the main engines did, so to prevent the shaft from warping from staying in one place, you are supposed to turn on the lube oil pumps, put some crank on the end of the shaft, and then give it a little turn. Turning on and lubing up the lube oil system is enough of a PITA /without/ informing everyone in the whole universe. I think something like that can be coordinated between an E-4 and the Shutdown Reactor Operator (SRO, who is just an enlisted guy who watches to make sure the reactor stays within it's shutdown parameters (such as the temperature)). If I was an ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination) inspector, I would personally look at those weekly maintenance items and ask the guys who have been there for less than a year how to do them, and have them pantomime the maintenance, and ask them specific questions like, 'Is it easy to turn? Hard to turn?'

With time, we realized that though the captain PERSONALLY reviewed our maintenance logs, he never questioned the fact that all these things were signed off as done without him being briefed. The paper looks good, so that's good. Isn't that kind of what the liberal mind is? Things don't need to be done right, they need to be documented right?

So with that in mind, imagine having to actual no poo poo SUBSAFE or level 1 ('level 1' is for systems that can cause catastrophic harm, but aren't specifically for the integrity of the hull/sea water systems. A 'level 1' system would be like a steam system) work. Like replacing the packing gland on a seawater valve, or having to cut a seat and replace the disc on a steam valve.

Well, we're not replacing hardware, so it doesn't have to be tracked by SUBSAFE. We put in the job but the captain is demanding the job list get shorter. What happens is my buddy and I who are always on duty together get back to the engine room at 11 PM (edit 2: I mistakenly wrote 11 AM instead of PM) and take apart those valves, cut them, replace the disc, repack them, verify they turn smoothly, and nobody is the wiser. Don't even need a tagout.

When the list is shorter, the captain doesn't ask why.

:)

Edit to note: I loved my submarine. I wish I wasn't so socially awkward at the time, but the general culture was really good. When you're a submariner, people treat you different - I had a surface chief stop me on the parking lot for my boots or something, and I just turn around at look at him, and when he sees my fish he realizes i don't give a poo poo about his smarmy surface rear end.

But the command was awful, and there was so much friction just to do the basics, and we were always just there, staying late and miserable. i spent so much time just sitting in the smoke pit waiting until I could actually work.

I was really proud of what I did though, and my friend and I just wanted our submarine to be happy :(

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 05:08 on Oct 23, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorBooty posted:

Pentagon Wars 2: In the Navy

incredible post, thanks for sharing

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

gradenko_2000 posted:

incredible post, thanks for sharing

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Hahahahaha

I wonder how many NRO nerds read somethingawful ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It sounded from what the Navy released that the Connecticut had a completely dysfunctional command with dentist personnel not communicating with each other at all. It sounded like it was a mix of a sub with many of its systems either not working or not being properly monitored with mass dysfunction between the people on watch.

I wonder how common it is at this point among subs especially since there are so many Ohio and Los Angeles subs running around.