Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

This isn't as big a burn as you think it is. That's my milquetoast opinion.

you have no idea how big a burn I think it is. :c00lbert:

I'm just pointing out that he doesn't actually want his stats out there, and likely can't even do at least one of the exercises. He just wanted to try and smugly write about how everyone is fat and lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I'm just pointing out that he doesn't actually want his stats out there, and likely can't even do at least one of the exercises. He just wanted to try and smugly write about how everyone is fat and lazy.

Oh I have no doubt he could do it and probably better than most, I just think it comes off like a weird little power fantasy about a government mandated program to prove he can do it better than other people and probably mock or shame them for it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Ok, genuinely, how are you not getting this. My stats would be posted alongside everyone else. And I freely admit, I’m not in great shape, my stats would be pretty low. There is no smugness here. I’m not sure why you are reading that into my proposal.

If I wanted to be mean I’d propose some kind of national brain test, because your inability to understand a simple proposal and your unfounded imagining of nefarious purpose suggests you’d score pretty low!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Punkinhead posted:

Oh I have no doubt he could do it and probably better than most, I just think it comes off like a weird little power fantasy about a government mandated program to prove he can do it better than other people and probably mock or shame them for it

No! I suck, I’d eat poo poo on the test! I’m a big flabby weakling! Where did this notion that I’m some kind of muscle-bound Adonis come from?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Ok, genuinely, how are you not getting this. My stats would be posted alongside everyone else. And I freely admit, I’m not in great shape, my stats would be pretty low. There is no smugness here. I’m not sure why you are reading that into my proposal.

If I wanted to be mean I’d propose some kind of national brain test, because your inability to understand a simple proposal and your unfounded imagining of nefarious purpose suggests you’d score pretty low!

I understand your proposal.

I just suggested if you are going to post about wanting stats listed, you should put up your own stats. It's an easy thing to collect, and you do not need a government arbitrator to use the stopwatch function on your phone or measure the length of a jump. Personally, I don't want those stats anywhere. It's a strange thing to want in my opinion, and your backpedaling panic at the suggestion that you do what you said you'd require everyone else to do shows that you realize it's a weird thing too.

Punkinhead posted:

He's backpedaling hard now, but yeah that's how the post came across - and why I said 'ok what're your stats'. It was weird internet tough guy ish posting about how everyone should be more fit.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Oct 21, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

I just suggested if you are going to post about wanting stats listed, you should put up your own stats. It's an easy thing to collect, and you do not need a government arbitrator to use the stopwatch function on your phone or measure the length of a jump.

But the stats would completely lack context which is the entire point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm 165cm and weigh in at nearly 140lbs. I easily benched 185, once, on a good day. I have jumped in my life. Y'all cowards should post your stats.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just suggested if you are going to post about wanting stats listed, you should put up your own stats. It's an easy thing to collect, and you do not need a government arbitrator to use the stopwatch function on your phone or measure the length of a jump. Personally, I don't want those stats anywhere. It's a strange thing to want in my opinion, and your backpedaling panic at the suggestion that you do what you said you'd require everyone else to do shows that you realize it's a weird thing

Ok no you clearly don’t understand the proposal. Everyone has to do it. That way no one is singled out. But you insist on trying to single me out for mockery.

He's backpedaling hard now, but yeah that's how the post came across - and why I said 'ok what're your stats'. It was weird internet tough guy ish posting about how everyone should be more fit.

Where the gently caress am I backpedaling? What’s actually happening is that you read some kind of malice in my idea based on absolutely nothing, and the more I reiterate that it’s not an idea born of malice, that idea very slowly is starting to penetrate your thick skull. So my position has remained the same, it’s just your imagined idea of me that’s changing. And rather than accept that you were wrong, you interpret your own changing interpretation of my position as me backpedaling.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
ok answer a question then: what purpose does posting the stats have?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ok answer a question then: what purpose does posting the stats have?

For fun! So you can see where you are compared to the rest of the country, so you can see if you’ve improved since last year, so you can compete with friends if you want, the same reason stats are kept on any kind of physical activity where stats are kept.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm 165cm and weigh in at nearly 140lbs. I easily benched 185, once, on a good day. I have jumped in my life. Y'all cowards should post your stats.

I'm 6'4'' and 100 kg and workout every day unless I'm drinking, and wouldn't want some dumbass American football tests to be posted anywhere.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

For fun! So you can see where you are compared to the rest of the country, so you can see if you’ve improved since last year, so you can compete with friends if you want, the same reason stats are kept on any kind of physical activity where stats are kept.

so if it's that fun, why won't you post yours?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

so if it's that fun, why won't you post yours?

Oh my god. Because my proposal was that everyone do it. Remember? That was the start of this whole stupid argument? The idea that you have claimed to understand but repeatedly demonstrated that you don’t?

I said it before as a joke but now I’m starting to think you really do need to take the drat Wonderlic, dude.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I do not agree with gripweed’s proposal, however I do think every American, north or south, should have to weigh in with their opinion on gripweed’s super serious proposal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh my god. Because my proposal was that everyone do it. Remember? That was the start of this whole stupid argument? The idea that you have claimed to understand but repeatedly demonstrated that you don’t?

I said it before as a joke but now I’m starting to think you really do need to take the drat Wonderlic, dude.

but you're the one who thinks it'd be fun to post stats, nobody else has expressed any desire for it.

The fact that you keep insisting 'it's for everyone!' Is what's making it come across as you wanting to shame others - we don't need to keep going back and forth, I'm just illustrating what your various posts suggested and are suggesting. It's not because it's fun, you won't do it unless you can compare it to others. Maybe you didn't mean to imply what you did, but I've written a lot of words to show you why it came across that way - and I'm not the only one who read it that way.

No need to keep getting defensive and trying to insult my intelligence. I was taking it slow so you could understand.

Let's move on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do not think we should create a national registry of the physically disabled.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

but you're the one who thinks it'd be fun to post stats, nobody else has expressed any desire for it.

Ok wow you’re really set on not understanding my idea. The whole point is that it’s a nationwide event everyone takes part in. It’s like I said taxes should be higher and you asked why don’t I just mail some cash to Joe Biden.

Agreed.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
I'm with you Gripweed. Your idea is dumb, but not because you won't post your stats.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Stores switching from calling shoppers "customers" to calling them "guests" is a naked power grab. A guest is expected to be gracious and deferential to their host, while a customer can have expectations and make demands of their vendor.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nameless Pete posted:

Stores switching from calling shoppers "customers" to calling them "guests" is a naked power grab. A guest is expected to be gracious and deferential to their host, while a customer can have expectations and make demands of their vendor.

Guests are welcomed in, customers just show up. The differentiation in terminology was only useful when it was nonstandard though, and now “loving guests” sounds just as natural as “loving customers”

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jen heir rick posted:

I'm with you Gripweed. Your idea is dumb, but not because you won't post your stats.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nameless Pete posted:

Good. The customer always being right is used to justify so much harassment of minimum wage employees

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Good. The customer always being right is used to justify so much harassment of minimum wage employees

Yeah

I'm imagining the guy who's angry that you're now expected to treat servers or retail workers with basic human decency because you're a "guest"

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

doverhog posted:

I'm 6'4'' and 100 kg and workout every day unless I'm drinking, and wouldn't want some dumbass American football tests to be posted anywhere.

Pick a system of measurements, be it metric or dumb

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kei Technical posted:

He's 19 hands tall and nearly 16 stone if that helps

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miami Vice (2006) is the greatest film of all time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t like the rise of Hitbox/leverless controllers in fighting games and think they ought to not be legal in organized play

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kei Technical posted:

That's a weird Australian thing. Everything's metric except for the height of people and the weight of babies.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Canada is also a weird mishmash

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Ok no you clearly don’t understand the proposal. Everyone has to do it. That way no one is singled out. But you insist on trying to single me out for mockery.

Oh, so just the disabled, and specifically the undiagnosed disabled (i.e. being disabled and poor) and the invisibly disabled, then?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

But if you want that you can already do that without having the government force you to do it lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anyone who wants more government control/interference in their life isn’t paying attention

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

Anyone who wants more government control/interference in their life isn’t paying attention

I would very much like the government to take control of healthcare.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

I would very much like the government to take control of healthcare.

Then you’re not paying attention. Did you even read my previous post?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Then you’re not paying attention. Did you even read my previous post?

Sorry no, I wasn't paying attention.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best pokémon characters are May and James

The best pokémon type is poison

The best pokémon are Ivysaur, Vileplume, and Weezing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Twin Towers were ugly as hell. We tend to get :qq: about them now, but the NY skyline is better off without them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They looked like every other skyscraper from that period. Second we stopped doing art Deco skyscrapers lost their right to exist.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I remember hearing someone say that the 1970s was an architectural dark age and I haven't seen a lot of examples to refute that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to see someone design a Beaux-Arts skyscraper