Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I recently installed Aldente but my Air has not charged even though it's been plugged in. I set the app to charge up to 70% but it doesn't seem to do anything when I plug in the MagSafe charger. Any ideas as to what's happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Is this AlDente Free or Pro? Maybe reboot, reset the SMC, try it again?

Welp, Apple has put the RC stamp on the latest build (build 23B73) of Sonoma 14.1, it feels pretty solid at least after a few hours of testing.

Maybe in a week or two they'll officially release it as the final 14.1 unless they find some show stoppers..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 18, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Did bartender support get ironed out?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Is this AlDente Free or Pro? Maybe reboot, reset the SMC, try it again?

AL Dente Pro...

getting conflicting messages here lol

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How do you configure the Touch Bar on your MacBook? I currently have it set up with the control strip with the brightness, music control, and volume button. It's pretty useful but I'm sure I can get more out of the space there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

tuyop posted:

Did bartender support get ironed out?

For 14.1 or in general? It works well enough on Sonoma but you’re going to have to change your workflows if you used conditionals to have things show up when they needed your afternoon. I’m still bummed about all that but at a base level it works.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, some video file playback seems to be busted in Sonoma..

MPEG-1 files: QT Player displays no video, audio sounds like an acoustic modem connection

h.265 files: QT Player says its not compatible with this player

MPEG-2 and h.264 files are fine however.

VLC, IINA work fine

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I just got some Airpods Pro 2 with USB-C, they work great when paired with my iPhone, but when paired with my Macbook they make Safari unbearably slow, especially any page with a video player like Youtube. Just interacting with the page is slow, scrolling, clicking, etc, and there's a delay from clicking play to when videos start to play. I did some searching and found others with the same problem who fixed it by turning off spatial audio. I tried that but it's still behaving the exact same way. Anyone else run into this?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Whats the software to disable trackpad acceleration?

I already have steermouse but it doesn’t work for trackpads, and i also have better touch tool but i don’t think it can manage acceleration

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Whats the software to disable trackpad acceleration?

I already have steermouse but it doesn’t work for trackpads, and i also have better touch tool but i don’t think it can manage acceleration

Change the 'tracking speed' slider in System Preferences > Trackpad to a setting that suits you.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Quackles posted:

Change the 'tracking speed' slider in System Preferences > Trackpad to a setting that suits you.

That only changes speed but not acceleration.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

frogbs posted:

I just got some Airpods Pro 2 with USB-C, they work great when paired with my iPhone, but when paired with my Macbook they make Safari unbearably slow, especially any page with a video player like Youtube. Just interacting with the page is slow, scrolling, clicking, etc, and there's a delay from clicking play to when videos start to play. I did some searching and found others with the same problem who fixed it by turning off spatial audio. I tried that but it's still behaving the exact same way. Anyone else run into this?

Stupid question probably but is everything updated? AirPods firmware has a weird way of updating (there’s no way to force it, and the case has to be charging near your iPhone or something odd like that.

Edit: wait I guess the new AirPods should have new firmware right?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The Grumbles posted:

Stupid question probably but is everything updated? AirPods firmware has a weird way of updating (there’s no way to force it, and the case has to be charging near your iPhone or something odd like that.

Edit: wait I guess the new AirPods should have new firmware right?

Updating to MacOS Sonoma fixed it! Not sure what was going on there, but there were a bunch of AirPods related things in the release notes and all seems well now. Thank you!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Does anyone have a Spotlight replacement recommendation? I just want to search for file names. That's loving it. Spotlight in Ventura cannot find files even when I type in the exact loving name.

Oh, and god forbid it's an image! I'll just show you big square image previews instead of the file name, so you'll just have to guess which one is the one you're looking for.

/rant

Sorry, but for real, is there a good alternative? I don't mind paying.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

lord funk posted:

Does anyone have a Spotlight replacement recommendation? I just want to search for file names. That's loving it. Spotlight in Ventura cannot find files even when I type in the exact loving name.

Oh, and god forbid it's an image! I'll just show you big square image previews instead of the file name, so you'll just have to guess which one is the one you're looking for.

/rant

I grabbed Find Any File in one of the Bundlehunt bundles and it works pretty well.

https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Tembo is another one: https://www.houdah.com/tembo/

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 22, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

find is another, if you’re a Terminal person.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

nitsuga posted:

find is another, if you’re a Terminal person.

Yeah, this is my goto.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

lord funk posted:

/rant

Alfred is my Spotlight replacement. Does a lot more than Spotlight but definitely good at finding files.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Spotlight works a hell of a lot better if you turn search options off in its settings to de-pollute results. "Siri Suggestions" and "Websites" are particularly bad offenders. (Not perfect, though. You may still be frustrated with it and want to use a different tool.)

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I like raycast after having used Alfred in the past

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I use Raycast and it’s pretty good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey, it's me — still using Quicksilver :haw:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Started using a PowerBook with Quicksilver in 2005.

Switched to Alfred and haven’t looked back - so many nice quality of life elements - clipboard history, snippets, including its integration with my 1P vault, Raindrop, extensions, etc.

Raycast is good, too, but feels a bit slower for me. I hate that they’ve put some features behind a monthly fee. I kinda wish Alfred would swipe some of Raycast’s trigger discoverability, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Good news, Open Core Legacy Patcher has released version v.1.1.0 that will give supported machines the ability to run Sonoma 14.1.

Some of the best features:

quote:

T1 Security Chip support for macOS Sonoma!

Restores Touch ID Authentication

Applicable for 2016 and 2017 TouchBar MacBook Pros

MacBookPro13,2, MacBookPro13,3, MacBookPro14,2, MacBookPro14,3

Streamlined OpenCore vaulting for additional tamper protections by Jazzzny

Improvements for macOS 14.1:

Resolved PCIe FaceTime camera support

Resolved USB 1.1 support

The rMBPs that got cut off get their Touch ID restored!

The USB 1.1 support is a biggie as with previous versions you had to hook up a USB 2.0+ hub and external keyboard, now this is no longer required and the built-in keyboard will work again on relevant models..

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Tippis posted:

Hey, it's me — still using Quicksilver :haw:

:respek:

e: Bezel appearance and Clipboard plugin ofc

franco fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 24, 2023

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
I walked the Quicksilver - Alfred - Raycast path. I really like raycast overall, but them trying to hard sell me GPT subscriptions annoys me.

Clipboard history is like 90% of my usage of these tools. There is a clipboard extender built into better touch tool, because of course there is, but I found it just slightly lacking when I last tried it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Binary Badger posted:

Good news, Open Core Legacy Patcher has released version v.1.1.0 that will give supported machines the ability to run Sonoma 14.1.

Some of the best features:

The rMBPs that got cut off get their Touch ID restored!

The USB 1.1 support is a biggie as with previous versions you had to hook up a USB 2.0+ hub and external keyboard, now this is no longer required and the built-in keyboard will work again on relevant models..

opencore legacy patcher is the bees knees. my mid-2014 macbook pro, which apple decided was no longer worth updating as of macos 11, is happily running macos 14 and is completely usable aside from the 1.5 hour battery life. it actually runs more smoothly in sonoma than it did in catalina. suck it tim

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I use iClip for clipboard management. Set it to Ctrl-Option-Space (with Spotlight set to Ctrl-Space) and it's perfect.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dc3k posted:

opencore legacy patcher is the bees knees. my mid-2014 macbook pro, which apple decided was no longer worth updating as of macos 11, is happily running macos 14 and is completely usable aside from the 1.5 hour battery life. it actually runs more smoothly in sonoma than it did in catalina. suck it tim

I have to say that OCLP v.1.1.0, after some initial hiccups, in my opinion, makes Ventura / Sonoma more responsive than v.1.0.1 did.

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 running Ventura at a pleasant clip and don't think it'll be an issue to take it to Sonoma; Safari feels more responsive too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Safari snappier

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's also a slim chance Apple will release Sonoma 14.1, Ventura 13.6.1, and Monterey 12.7.1 today, especially since there's an Apple Event for October 30!

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1716849370102960583

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The changelog I saw unfortunately said nothing about 14.1 fixing VPN issues. But Apple throws in a bunch of poo poo without explicitly mentioning it normally, right?

Google Drive also said to wait for 14.1 to fix their issues. Getting weird Chrome behaviour reports where half the browser isn't responsive. I personally use Vivaldi, but it had a separate update to fix menus not being clickable on 14.0.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Binary Badger posted:

There's also a slim chance Apple will release Sonoma 14.1, Ventura 13.6.1, and Monterey 12.7.1 today, especially since there's an Apple Event for October 30!

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1716849370102960583
5pm PT is an odd time for a product announcement.

Maybe Tim will do it with a flashlight under his chin to make it all SpOOoOokY

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry if this was already posted but this will get rid of that stupid blue arrow when you have caps lock on

code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe they'll get Joe Flaherty out of retirement so he can do his Count Floyd bit and go "Ooooo, scary"

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm not clear if this is possibly caused by our MDM, Mosyle, but ran into a strange situation with 14.0:

• button on laptop keyboard in user's password is broken
  • canned air didn't seem to fix it
  • external keyboard cannot be used, "unlock to use accessories" shown when trying
  • on-screen accessibility keyboard cannot be enabled on the lock screen unless the laptop is already unlocked, then you can enable it for the future from Settings

I could probably have pushed a script to change the local credentials via MDM or enable accessibility features. Luckily the stuck key magically started working. And I guess we'll see what we need to push to make sure the on-screen keyboard is always available in future. Annoyingly there wasn't a built-in option for it in Mosyle as far as I could tell. And Apple's documentation for Sonoma all says "unlock and use the Settings app".

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FMguru posted:

5pm PT is an odd time for a product announcement.

Maybe Tim will do it with a flashlight under his chin to make it all SpOOoOokY

If that Federighi guy is in any sort halloween costume whatsoever I am taking my laptop straight back to the apple store

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

actionjackson posted:

sorry if this was already posted but this will get rid of that stupid blue arrow when you have caps lock on

code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO

Thanks for this, that thing was real annoying. Just to add: needs a reboot, a logout won't suffice.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

If that Federighi guy is in any sort halloween costume whatsoever I am taking my laptop straight back to the apple store

lol chances of this happening are above 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

actionjackson posted:

code:

Lol this seems like a real dumb name for a flag