Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lot of people dying for dumb reasons :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

let's see which tweet has aged better

https://twitter.com/NanaiaMahuta/status/1710726458413650075?t=MN-dkRbJ0VJrLvCb8flcLA&s=19

https://twitter.com/chrisluxonmp/status/1710762928595730455?t=VOYdVtDEFf1NZA_UZCXcpg&s=19

have any journos asked Luxo if he stands by this tweet yet?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know why he wouldn't - it's what the US and UK are saying so he'd be breaking ranks with the two countries he most wants to be on the side of.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what's wrong with the luxon tweet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh boy

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

:munch:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Progressive JPEG posted:

The last line, particularly the last seven words, where the context of "defend itself" translates to the actions of "bomb the other party".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Defend itself, yes, but if there's any nation in the world that overreacts more dramatically than the USA, it's Israel.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Defend itself, yes, but if there's any nation in the world that overreacts more dramatically than the USA, it's Israel.

I just have always thought of bombs, and explosives in general, as an offensive weapon rather than a defensive weapon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, yeah. Cutting off all water to the Strip is gonna do a lot worse though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's bad, OP

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Progressive JPEG posted:

:::thatsbait.jpg:::

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Saros posted:

:::thatsbait.jpg:::

Honestly failing to live up to our thread title IMO.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I just have always thought of bombs, and explosives in general, as an offensive weapon rather than a defensive weapon.

Those poor Auschwitz guards were forced to defend themselves against a violent surprise attack

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
While reading yet another analysis of why Labour lost on RNZ I saw this bit about the loss of support in Auckland.

RNZ posted:

The Delta variant was creeping through Auckland and lockdowns were extended.

Ardern, acting on advice, was trying to protect minority groups who were most at risk.

"Helping to protect minority groups - though not as much as health advocates wanted - generally isn't the best way to maintain appeal among the majority," Cheng said

I live in the South Island and only the first lockdown had any personal impact. Do any Auckland goons have a feel for how much impact this had? Labour appeared to lose the election on so many different fronts I hadn't considered it.

Content to Hover fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 20, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland absolutely punished labour for the second lockdown.

Both lockdowns loving sucked for me. I have two young kids, first lockdown was spent trying to entertain a 3yo and look after a newborn in an apartment, second lockdown was trying to homeschool a 5yo and entertain a toddler.

I absolutely understood their necessity and think Labour demonstrably did the right thing. I think that any genuine retrospective analysis shows that their decision-making with the information they had at the time was spot on, with perhaps the exception of the last couple of weeks of the second lockdown.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No idea about voting, but a lot of people where very strongly dismayed to have to go back into their caves. I know my landlord had a whole pile of work they wanted to cram into my flat that got left unfinished. Much grumbling (but they where never a labour supporter, for sure)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still think it was the right call, but it sure wasn't a popular one.

PS: gently caress you DJ Dimension

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I didn't mind either lockdown or any of the other measures, it's the complete U-turn into LET IT RIP that annoyed me the most.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
My favourite was the promise to wait till everyone was vaccinated then they, well, didn't.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I loving thrived in lockdown.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Being at home with 3 kids was pretty hard, but going for walks and bike rides around the local streets and seeing the whole neighbourhood walking enjoying themselves was nice. No cars too that ruled it was so quiet it was like living in the country.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Obviously a mixed bag but hell yeah it was so quiet and calm sometimes. Really made me think we could be living like this more, like, not rushing around driving everywhere allnthe time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

Obviously a mixed bag but hell yeah it was so quiet and calm sometimes. Really made me think we could be living like this more, like, not rushing around driving everywhere allnthe time.

Yeah exactly, I loved the absence of cars

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Being the only boat on the harbour loving ruled too

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I loved being able to stay home and spend more time with my family. Probably didn’t hurt we have about 2hectares of land our house sits on. Might be a bit less pleasant in a small apartment l.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's actually a fairly kind retrospective imo. https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/politics/350095673/we-didnt-help-ourselves-labours-woeful-campaign-laid-bare

The truth is mostly that the vibes were hosed by a global economy that's still reeling from the pandemic, supply chain disruptions, massive QE programs etc. It was a winnable campaign for Labour but also National practically walked into government because all they had to do was begin any policy discussion with "well Labour have had six years to fix this and look where we are" and everyone would agree with them.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They also promised to fix every problem without actually announcing how they would do it except for locking up more brown people and giving millionaires more money.

And the media let them.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

exmachina posted:

And the media let did all the campaigning for them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

exmachina posted:

They also promised to fix every problem without actually announcing how they would do it except for locking up more brown people and giving millionaires more money.

And the media let them.

They own the media op

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The media is largely owned by millionaires who want to lock up brown people

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I sort of wonder if Labour would have gotten better election coverage if they hadn't proposed the TVNZ/RNZ merger. At points it felt like everyone was unable to criticise Luxon's total lack of actual policy.

To throw in a random bit of positivity, I've been pretty happy with the Local Democracy Reporting. It covered a few things that nobody was going to profit from reporting. I'm glad NZ on air are continuing for a year after the Public Interest Journalism Fund ended.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I find it kind of funny how both very right wing and very left wing people are convinced the other side owns the media.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

victorious posted:

I find it kind of funny how both very right wing and very left wing people are convinced the other side owns the media.

Not you though, you're an enlightened centrist

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

victorious posted:

It's incredibly frustrating how close some cooker poo poo gets to the truth. Like yes, there is a small number of private interests controlling the world, they do very much carry out social engineering and do all sorts of unethical poo poo. But they're petrol companies and the military industrial complex and poo poo, not the World Economic Forum or the UN Development Program.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Slavvy posted:

Not you though, you're an enlightened centrist

Lol I knew someone would say this.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

gently caress is local democracy reporting into he chopping block as well? I have a friend who runs what program and they are supes proud of it

klen dool
May 7, 2007

victorious posted:

It's also funny how very right wing people also think the left has all the money - the left being beneficiaries and māori and beurocrats in ivory towers so both groups think the rich own the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

when the left-wing says the media is controlled by the right they mean that it is facilitated by capital and therefore captured by capital interests that will always skew conservative because change represents market risk. when the right-wing says the media is controlled by the left they mean that it is facilitated by capital and is as socially inclusive as it dares because inclusion represents market growth. only one of the sides is against capital though, and tbh not even that often.