Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

So yeah, a few people are self-preserving enough to flip, but you’ll have a fair amount that will go down to the bitter end.

Well, they knew what they were signing up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Jenna Ellis has been complaining publicly that Trump isn’t paying her legal bill so I expect she’s not that far from jumping ship.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

smackfu posted:

Surprised more of the Georgia people haven’t plead out. Lots of small fish in there who I’m sure can’t afford a lawyer for the giant omnibus case with Trump. I would certainly take a misdemeanor probation just to get it done with, especially since they are generally first offense white collar crimes,

It's only been a couple of days since Powell and Chesebro flipped, have to imagine the dominoes speed up as time passes. For that matter, I'm guessing there's a bunch of stuff happening that isn't public as it happens, like we only know there's a deal because they actually went to court and pled, but presumably they might have been on the table for longer, or at the least the discussions have been ongoing.

Of course the other part of this is that the people who have their representation paid for by Trump are probably being discouraged from taking deals, which is part of the reason the special council made motions about conflicts of interest in FL.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fuschia tude posted:

As we saw with Powell and Chesebro, the pressure doesn't really build on them until the trial date is imminently looming and they've lost all their procedural motions. They generally have Trump-provided lawyers who get them out on bail, it's not like they're sitting in jail for the next six months.

The other half of the argument, however, is that prosecutors are less inclined to hand out good plea bargains as their primary case (meaning Trump) strengthens. Somewhere earlier in this thread, it was pointed out that the first person or persons to flip usually get the best deal. I'm not saying we're out of range of misdemeanor-only bargains, but it may get there quickly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The other half of the argument, however, is that prosecutors are less inclined to hand out good plea bargains as their primary case (meaning Trump) strengthens. Somewhere earlier in this thread, it was pointed out that the first person or persons to flip usually get the best deal. I'm not saying we're out of range of misdemeanor-only bargains, but it may get there quickly.

I’ll be surprised if Powell and Chesebro don’t get at least 1 to 3 when the judge sentences them. Feds do it differently than GA. You have to help the whole way through and then after your help has concluded they put in a good word with the judge.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Murgos posted:

I’ll be surprised if Powell and Chesebro don’t get at least 1 to 3 when the judge sentences them. Feds do it differently than GA. You have to help the whole way through and then after your help has concluded they put in a good word with the judge.

I thought Powell and Chesebro pleaded guilty with prosecutors in GA, not federal?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought Powell and Chesebro pleaded guilty with prosecutors in GA, not federal?

There’s either an accompanying federal plea deal or they’re idiots who just turbo-hosed themselves. As part of the Georgia plea they need to do a bunch of stuff that would make convicting them federally trivial, and they’re both mentioned in Trump’s indictment as not charged yet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shooting Blanks posted:

Since they aren't charged anywhere else outside of GA yet, there's no need for any public filings indicating they've flipped there or admitting to guilt. But they either have the worst lawyers ever or they have an agreement to immunity from Federal prosecution in this matter as long as they cooperate since anything they say in support of their GA plea can and will be used by the Feds.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The wheels of justice grind slowly, but they do grind.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pants Donkey posted:

So yeah, a few people are self-preserving enough to flip, but you’ll have a fair amount that will go down to the bitter end.

Failing to see a downside :lol:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm willing to bet the small fish are such nobodies they are truly all in on the cult and even when they get thrown in prison they'll keep faith in trump.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm willing to bet the small fish are such nobodies they are truly all in on the cult and even when they get thrown in prison they'll keep faith in trump.

It's the Cult season of AHS slowly moving into it's endgame.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Has Trump made any public attacks on Powell or Chesebro yet? If not they must have wrestled his phone away and locked him in a closet or something.

Theres no way he doesn’t go straight at them as soon as he can and simultaneously gently caress himself in DC and GA with ever harsher gag orders.

Apparently Chutkan used the, “Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest” line twice in oral arguments and explicitly said the evidence shows he’s trying to goad a follower into violence.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Colorado court rejects 4 procedural attempts by Trump and the state GOP to bounce the 14th amendment case

quote:

Characterizations of the selection of ineligible candidates as a matter of “political choice” are unavailing; a citizen (or group of citizens, for that matter) cannot exempt themselves from the application of the law because they believe, as a matter of “political expression,” that there has been no violation. They may, of course, still argue, profess, maintain, and campaign on the belief that there has been no violation of the law, but the freedom to do so does not exempt them from the application of the law any more than a tax protestor’s belief that taxation is theft exempts them from paying taxes

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

D-double kill

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Murgos posted:

Has Trump made any public attacks on Powell or Chesebro yet? If not they must have wrestled his phone away and locked him in a closet or something.
Considering he’s been getting fairly devastating legal news every week, I wouldn’t be surprised if his heart gave out due to being in an apoplectic meltdown 24/7.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

Considering he’s been getting fairly devastating legal news every week, I wouldn’t be surprised if his heart gave out due to being in an apoplectic meltdown 24/7.

I'm assuming he is focused on "after I win, all this poo poo goes away and we will also make sure I am president for life"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Rigel posted:

I'm assuming he is focused on "after I win, all this poo poo goes away and we will also make sure I am president for life"

Don't forget the part I'm sure is spinning through his dark, twisted heart of how he's going to make everyone who did this to him is going to pay.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rigel posted:

That's Trump, always laser-focused on the long term goal

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1716094326541881662

This seems like one of those times the "I never knew her"/"coffee boy" strategy backfires. While I think the writing is on the wall that government would win most or all discussions about executive or attorney-client privilege... probably not in his best interest to concede the point up front.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Seems like you would not want to state up front that a lawyer in the room was not your lawyer thus free to testify about what went on on said room.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

davecrazy posted:

Seems like you would not want to state up front that a lawyer in the room was not your lawyer thus free to testify about what went on on said room.

Ahh you say this, but little do you know that executive privilege superscedes attorney client privilege anyway! In fact anything the president discusses with another person is qualified immunity via executive client privilege.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Sydney “I’m appointing you special counsel at 2am to go illegally seize voting machines”’Powell wasn’t your lawyer and didn’t give you legal advice?

Go on and let’s start with who was giving you legal advice when you made that decision and what that advice was?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
what trump says in public and what he says in court have actually never met. he has successfully argued in court before that twitter isn't real, when he ordered the russia investigation info declassified and then argued in court that twitter isn't real, then later tweeted out a complaint that the information hadn't been released yet, and then went to court to block it again, so who knows if this tweet counts as reality or not.
trump exists in a state of quantum linear superposition: everything is unknown until it's measured and, once it is, it's exactly what it needs to be. even if you have to go two words at a time a statement is always good and correct.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

trump exists in a state of quantum linear superposition: everything is unknown until it's measured and, once it is, it's exactly what it needs to be. even if you have to go two words at a time a statement is always good and correct.

The philosophical essay "On Bullshit" is a good primer for understanding this.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

drat, this is how I learned Harry Frankfurt died back in July too? I don't know why he didn't become a megastar during Trump's administration.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

what trump says in public and what he says in court have actually never met. he has successfully argued in court before that twitter isn't real, when he ordered the russia investigation info declassified and then argued in court that twitter isn't real, then later tweeted out a complaint that the information hadn't been released yet, and then went to court to block it again, so who knows if this tweet counts as reality or not.

See also: Hulk Hogan claiming in court that he and Terry Bollea are two different people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

It parallels the COVID vaccine thing. Obviously, the big grifters got their vaccines the moment they could and then railed against the vaccine on their shows. A decent chunk of the true believers, down near the bottom of the ladder, never got vaccinated and were dying at about one a week at one point. I can imagine the late comers, who were brought on after all the actual professionals bailed or rejected the job, being much more likely to genuinely believe in Trump's divine protection or whatever.

Angry_Ed posted:

See also: Hulk Hogan claiming in court that he and Terry Bollea are two different people.

Remember that penis size was the difference. The footage was clearly of someone who does not have a 12 inch penis and Hulk Hogan, canonically, has a 12 inch penis.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Snowman_McK posted:

Hulk Hogan, canonically, has a 12 inch penis.

But who would ever need a musician that small?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

But who would ever need a musician that small?

get the gently caress out of my office

(i'm very proud of you)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I was watching old Law & Order episodes and I cackled when Giuliani strolled into a scene.

I wonder if he gets paid residuals for his work, and if his unpaid lawyers might ever see a dime of it. Can they garnish any residual checks he receives?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Trump went on a bit of a motion to dismiss spree today, with the docs hitting tonight. They're mostly warmed over nonsense but this argument in the DC case is purestrain :psyduck:

quote:

President Trump’s Acquittal by the U.S. Senate Bars Criminal Prosecution for Offenses Arising from the Same Course of Conduct.
The indictment must be dismissed because President Trump was impeached, tried by the Senate, and acquitted on articles of impeachment that arise from the same course of conduct as the criminal indictment. Under our system of separated powers, the Executive Branch lacks authority to second-guess the decision of the Legislative Branch on an issue that lies within the Legislative Branch’s exclusive purview. The Constitution’s plain text, structural principles of separation of powers, our history and tradition, and principles of Double Jeopardy bar the Executive Branch from seeking to re-charge and re-try a President who has already been impeached and acquitted in a trial before the U.S. Senate.
That's... not remotely a thing.

The rest isn't much better, warmed over arguments that've been met with failure.

quote:

The Indictment Should Be Dismissed Because It Seeks to Criminalize Core Political Speech and Advocacy Protected by the First Amendment

The Government May Not Prohibit Core Political Speech on Matters of Public Concern, Regardless of Its Supposed Truth or Falsity.

The First Amendment Protection for Opinions on Politically Charged Disputes Extends to Statements Advocating the Government to Act.

The First Amendment Does Not Permit the Government to Prosecute a Citizen for Claiming That the 2020 Presidential Election Was Stolen.

This one is particularly bold given what we know of his communication with his lawyers and, now, some of their ongoing cooperation

quote:

The Indictment Violates the Fair Notice Doctrine of the Due Process Clause.
Fair Notice Doctrine is (paraphrased): You can't charge me if nobody who read the statute would understand what I did to be a crime based on it.

I think this, more so than state of mind, is why Justice included so much evidence of his discussions with the litany of folks who felt what he was pushing for were crimes. For those curious, the reason I try to bring some of the Jan 6 convictions and appeals ITT is that (outside of whatever the double jeopardy nonsense was), none of this is novel -- a point Justice made and Chutkan seemed to accept when setting the trial timeline. Specifically, multiple Jan6ers have tried to claim:
  • So long as they didn't personally assault officers or vandalize the Capitol, they didn't realize their actions that day were criminal
  • If they'd read the charged statutes the night before, it wouldn't have changed their behavior because charging them under those statutes was a huge stretch nobody would consider reasonable
  • If the courts permit them to be charged under the statute the chilling effect will be so extreme as to violate the first amendment because it'd be impossible for a future protestor to know whether actions that were obviously legal on Jan 5 are now criminal so nobody will protest

They've not had much success.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 24, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, there is some purestrain nonsense in these filings

quote:

“Virtually every American, including the cited public officials, had similar access to much of this same information, including a mountain of publicly reported facts and opinions, which were the subject of wall-to-wall media coverage throughout the post-election period and beyond,” the filing reads.

“To assert that President Trump, as one voice among countless millions, was somehow capable of unilaterally ‘tricking’ or ‘deceiving’ these individuals, who include some of the most informed politicians on the planet, simply by advocating his opinions on this contentious issue, is beyond absurd.”

the president is just some guy, you know

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Paracaidas posted:

Trump went on a bit of a motion to dismiss spree today, with the docs hitting tonight. They're mostly warmed over nonsense but this argument in the DC case is purestrain :psyduck:

That's... not remotely a thing.

Well I guess I will have to give them a point for originality, if nothing else, because that is one wackadoodle legal 'concept'.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ms Adequate posted:

Well I guess I will have to give them a point for originality, if nothing else, because that is one wackadoodle legal 'concept'.

Pro-tip: any time a lawyer cites “constitutional principles” or “history and tradition” on a point, it’s because she doesn’t have any applicable law to point to. It’s the equivalent to “bang the table” in the old joke.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I'm sure it's an appropriately high standard, and I'm not saying anything in this blizzard of bullshit actually qualifies, but what is the standard for a sanctionably frivolous motion? Is there anything they could file that would lead to state bar action against the filer?

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Trump's Defence is at one all things, but is also NOT all things at the same time.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

SpeakSlow posted:

Trump's Defence is at one all things, but is also NOT all things at the same time.

Ah, the quantum defense. Too bad that defense is error prone and has a tendency to being destabilized when actually measured by a judge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Murgos posted:

Jenna Ellis has been complaining publicly that Trump isn’t paying her legal bill so I expect she’s not that far from jumping ship.

Correct.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1716808449747464406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I don't know how I'm still somehow amazed at Trump's lack of foresight for things like that.