Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Don't forget to check the temples for mysticism spells! They tend to have more variety of spell effects than the mage guild

Mysticism snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's been posted, surely, but somebody was a civic engineer or something & described Vivec City as completely batshit insane and one of the worst possible ways to design a place where anyone would want to live lol

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Name one world class city that doesn't have a floating jail.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It would have been cool if the roofs were open air like they supposedly wanted to do, but it seems like an insane pain in the rear end to mod that in

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
^^ That has been modded in like over 10 years ago in a dozen different mods, including the seminal BCOM which compiles all the big town mods of the past few years into one easy install package.

If you want to make Vivec way better and by better I mean way worse and by worse I mean it's my favorite Vivec, there's https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/51777?tab=description&BH=1

Which hollows out the cantons and fills them with things, including residential sections just there for flavor and with empty apartments you can move into and take over and it takes literally like 5 minutes to leave your apartment block in the morning. It's incompatible with everything and uses a chunk of my VWE mod for gussying things up so I am biased but it's my favorite Vivec and it's hard to go back to tiny hallways Vivec after seeing it like this.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The #1 take away from that link is do not go to nexus on phone

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it's been posted, surely, but somebody was a civic engineer or something & described Vivec City as completely batshit insane and one of the worst possible ways to design a place where anyone would want to live lol

To be fair, civil engineers will say that about anything they didn't personally come up with

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Vivec city is something Vivec would have designed, as a joke.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I don't know what combination of mods caused this, but taking the gondola to the Foreign Quarter puts me on the ocean floor, kind of between the Foreign Quarter and the silt strider. This is only one reason why my favourite way to get around Vivec is hitching a ride with my good friend ~tcl

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Vivec city is something Vivec would have designed, as a joke.

It's the 36 Sermons of cities

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Cum Free posted:

I don't know what combination of mods caused this, but taking the gondola to the Foreign Quarter puts me on the ocean floor, kind of between the Foreign Quarter and the silt strider. This is only one reason why my favourite way to get around Vivec is hitching a ride with my good friend ~tcl

Larry this is just what people in Vivec think should be done with foreigners

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

You probably have a mod that moves the foreign quarter to be more squared up with the others, and you're either not using the plugin that alters the gondolier's destinations to match, or it's being overridden by another mod that's affected the gondolier's destinations. Are you using BCOM or another mod that affects Vivec? Do you have any mods that alter travel paths, like abot's gondoliers?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think one of the 36 sermons says Vivec was designed to be horrible on purpose

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I think one of the 36 sermons says Vivec was designed to be horrible on purpose

Actually he hosed a mountain to death and scattered its bones/dicks while him and his 1000 boyfriends ran under it giggling and where it landed it became Vivec

quote:

Vivec smiled at those brave souls around him and summoned celebration demons to cleave unto the victors. There was a great display of love and duty around the netted monster, and Vivec was at the center with a headdress made of mating bones. He laughed and told mystical jokes and made the heads of the three houses marry and become a new order.

'You shall forever be now my Buoyant Armigers,' he said.

Then Vivec pierced Horde Mountain with Muatra and made of it all a big bag of bones. At the touch of his right hand the net became right scripture and he threw it all northeasterly. The contents spread out like sugar-glows and Vivec and the Buoyant Armigers ran under it laughing.

Finally the bones of Horde Mountain landed and became the foundation stones for the City of Swords, which Vivec named after his own sigil, and the net fell across it all and between, or became as bridges between bones, and since its segments had been touched by his holy wisdom they became the most perfect of all city streets in the known worlds.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Actually he hosed a mountain to death and scattered its bones/dicks while him and his 1000 boyfriends ran under it giggling and where it landed it became Vivec

Vivec totally got off on making his clergy read elaborate smutty fanfiction about himself, didn't he.

At least Tiber Septim kept his weird sex poo poo largely out of the public eye. That wasn't always a good thing, mind you *cough*Barenziah*cough*

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a nice touch that one of the generic Vivec citizen greetings is "hey, you need help finding your way around? We live here and even we get lost."

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Don't forget to check the temples for mysticism spells! They tend to have more variety of spell effects than the mage guild

Mysticism snipe

I've learned my lesson and I've started reflexively checking spells for sale any time I come across them on offer.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

FlocksOfMice posted:

Found what I was thinking of in sermon 23

quote:

I build for you a city of swords, by which I mean laws that cut the people who live there into better shapes.

it's the goddamn ordinators not the awful city planning

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I honestly think Vivec City would be immensely improved even by adding bridges from the Foreign Quarter second-tier to the Redoran and Arena second-tier. And ways into the canalworks from the bottom tiers on all cantons.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That there sounds like radical agitation in favour of the imperial dogs and the undeserving poor.

Vivec is a city of swords after all, as reminded to us by brother ContinuityNewTimes above.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 21, 2023

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Specifically it's the idea of swords and "cutting" as a method of excising behaviors and enforcing cultural ideas by its very nature that makes the people more powerful and stronger. It's Dunmer cultural supremacy more than civil planning i know i know you're doing a joke i cannot not autism on this

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

there should be a fixme style console command to move npcs out of your way.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Guildenstern Mother posted:

there should be a fixme style console command to move npcs out of your way.

It's called Sunder.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

It's called Sunder.

Alternatively, RA, Reset Actors. Moves all NPCs/creatures back to their editor defined spawn point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The setup of being cockblocked by crazy high locks in multiple Thieves Guild quests, the payoff of blundering into a random cave and finding like eight goddamn locksplitter scrolls. :stwoon:

My biggest enemy at this point in the game has been the directions. So vague as to be useless, overcomplicated to the point of being impossible to parse, and/or my destination being a small non-descript cave or tomb hiding in plain sight. :argh:

Or worse still, I correctly intuit what to do but the quest designer decided to be a dick about it in a way where I think I'm wrong.

Or I just forget where one of my dozen miscellaneous quests actually came from and the journal is no help whatsoever.

I don't necessarily need later games' hyper omniscient radar that sets waypoints to every single quest step, I just want to do the fun adventuring stuff over getting lost in the middle of nowhere because some yokel mixed up east and west.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i just googled that stuff, it's all on the wiki

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

The setup of being cockblocked by crazy high locks in multiple Thieves Guild quests, the payoff of blundering into a random cave and finding like eight goddamn locksplitter scrolls. :stwoon:

My biggest enemy at this point in the game has been the directions. So vague as to be useless, overcomplicated to the point of being impossible to parse, and/or my destination being a small non-descript cave or tomb hiding in plain sight. :argh:

Or worse still, I correctly intuit what to do but the quest designer decided to be a dick about it in a way where I think I'm wrong.

Or I just forget where one of my dozen miscellaneous quests actually came from and the journal is no help whatsoever.

I don't necessarily need later games' hyper omniscient radar that sets waypoints to every single quest step, I just want to do the fun adventuring stuff over getting lost in the middle of nowhere because some yokel mixed up east and west.

The east west mixup happens a single time in the entire game, I think you might just be dumb lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One thing that can help with finding the correct Small Cave in the middle of Nowhere is to switch to the "local" map and scroll around on the road you've been walking on; you'll often pass close enough for the cave to be visible on that map when you yourself didn't really notice it.

Regarding the journal, note that it has an alphabetical listing with much more information. So if you remember, for example, who gave you the quest, you can probably search for their name and it'll tell you "John Smith told me about a necromancer in the cave Dark'n'wet", and then Dark'n'wet will itself by a hyperlink and when you click on that you'll also have some directions. So basically your character takes a lot of notes, but you have to do a couple extra steps to find them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Vivec totally got off on making his clergy read elaborate smutty fanfiction about himself, didn't he.

At least Tiber Septim kept his weird sex poo poo largely out of the public eye. That wasn't always a good thing, mind you *cough*Barenziah*cough*

Vivec committed no crime.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mbt posted:

The east west mixup happens a single time in the entire game, I think you might just be dumb lol

this is what happened to me, morrowind janked my ability to navigate irl a little, but worse is giving directions

"ok so go east until you see the tv tower on your right --"
"-- what street is it on?"
"Once you get towards the tower keep going north until...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure how the many mods in the modpack affected it, but I found it easier to level my Alteration skill to cast high-level Open spells than it was to raise Lockpicking. You could also visit an enchanter person and make an item which casts Open 100, since magic items refill charge over time on their own in Morrowind.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

You know me. You've seen my east west mixup.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what would happen if someone put in a chest that had lock 256 or something? The spell creation / enchant bars only go up to 100, so would the player be forced to use security, or would it just literally never work

e: looked it up and even with max stats you'd prob get "lock too complex" unless you fortify fatigue way above normal or something

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 22, 2023

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You know me. You've seen my east west mixup.

lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wafflecopper posted:

i just googled that stuff, it's all on the wiki

I've had the wiki open nonstop. I just wish I didn't have to with quite so much regularity. Especially when it's dumb, fiddly quest stuff.

Jack B Nimble posted:

One thing that can help with finding the correct Small Cave in the middle of Nowhere is to switch to the "local" map and scroll around on the road you've been walking on; you'll often pass close enough for the cave to be visible on that map when you yourself didn't really notice it.

Regarding the journal, note that it has an alphabetical listing with much more information. So if you remember, for example, who gave you the quest, you can probably search for their name and it'll tell you "John Smith told me about a necromancer in the cave Dark'n'wet", and then Dark'n'wet will itself by a hyperlink and when you click on that you'll also have some directions. So basically your character takes a lot of notes, but you have to do a couple extra steps to find them.

I've started to try and toggle the map though frankly I just wish there was a medium scale mode to work with.

I do generally bounce around in the journal when needed, but sometimes there just isn't information to be found in there. I also can't exactly look up more information using, say, a name when I will never in a million years be able to remember NPC names unless they're super distinctive or it's a character I've talked to a hundred times.

Zereth posted:

I'm not sure how the many mods in the modpack affected it, but I found it easier to level my Alteration skill to cast high-level Open spells than it was to raise Lockpicking. You could also visit an enchanter person and make an item which casts Open 100, since magic items refill charge over time on their own in Morrowind.

I've been keeping up just fine on Security, actually. It's just that those quests in particular hinged on I think it was a 75 and an 85 respectively, which were a great deal above my current skill range.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't believe the Misterbibsarine is posting itt

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Woah, hold on now.

But I guess if you really feel that way I'll just gently caress off.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 23, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a certain thematic appeal to wandering around a mud and ash covered hellhole where everyone hates you for being a foreigner, gives directions like a drunk farmer, to places that are all completely unpronouncable to really give you that "brit on holiday" vibe.

I think you're supposed to either become enchanted with how weird it is or else develop the profound desire to wipe the entire island off the map with fireballs.

I don't really have any good advice for finding your way around because the game is just like that. The directions are usually "correct" but figuring out what the game thinks is "a road" or particular landmarks is just as difficult as real life.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 23, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

John Murdoch posted:

Woah, hold on now.

I'll say that I love hearing about people playing through Morrowind, problems and all. Keep it up!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Woah, hold on now.

Keep posting, I love getting the first playthrough experience thoughts even if it makes some people grumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If you think stuff is weird now, you are going to Love the Telvanni.