Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

my turn in the barrel posted:

My house also seems to act like a faraday cage and blocks TV/radio once you are inside. Being built in 1965 with a then trendy flat roof it's probably a combination of lead sheeting on the roof, lead paint and possibly metal mesh in the walls and probably lead in the window glass.

In case you ever want to fix this, my current house had similar problems (built in 53 with a major reno in the 60s) all our walls were plaster with metal lath and phone calls would drop if you walked around the house. There was a leak and we ended up replacing all the plaster and lath in one room and it fixed the problem for the whole house. Wifi still sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I totally missed that 'my turn in the barrel' was OPs username and thought everyone was just lining up to get fired out of a cannon for their interior design opinions

Same, but as RoyKeen said, the phrase means... something entirely different.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RetroTechDreams/status/1716077699976888817?s=20

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That series is still so good :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I called this "even more" as a kid, cause we couldn't figure out that Contraptions was the actual series (non native English), Holy poo poo that menu is instantly recognisable. I had no idea how to do well in it but still managed to solve a few things

The copied CD for it just said Even More at first but I later wrote "mind games" and "10/10" on it

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The late 90s was a great time. Like those graphics are pretty close to what I made on my pirated 3D Studio for DOS as a teenager. That's actually pretty bad for 2000.

During that time it was easy to be a forerunner because everyone was just messing about and figuring stuff out. Which is why I got my first job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1717146990570844584?s=20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I will never get over the "fish is a meatless alternative" belief. What did they think fish was made out of, rock? I know that several hundred years later it's just religious inertia at this point, but I still scratch my head over that whenever it's brought up.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Randalor posted:

I will never get over the "fish is a meatless alternative" belief. What did they think fish was made out of, rock? I know that several hundred years later it's just religious inertia at this point, but I still scratch my head over that whenever it's brought up.

It gets even better. According to Catholics beavers count as fish and are therefore vegetarian.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
To get that out of the way: this also concerns turtles, alligator, capybaras, and puffins, which are all water-dwelling animals and thus edible on friday

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I love meat-less water buffalo Fridays

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

:stare:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

goblin week posted:

To get that out of the way: this also concerns turtles, alligator, capybaras, and puffins, which are all water-dwelling animals and thus edible on friday

I’m going to drown a cow, call it “water beef” and sell it as a fish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren't fish believed to spontaneously generate for a while because they didn't understand how their reproductive cycle worked?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OwlFancier posted:

Weren't fish believed to spontaneously generate for a while because they didn't understand how their reproductive cycle worked?

They thought birds came from flowers because they saw flowers that looked like birds.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cojawfee posted:

They thought birds came from flowers because they saw flowers that looked like birds.

So you’re saying birds are a product of a CIA agreement with Monsanto, makes sense.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Randalor posted:

The gist of it is that you're hungry after eating fish sooner than after eating (land animal) meat, so you can still have sufficient nutrition while suffering a little.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No the jist is it's a Catholic tradition to eat fish on Fridays because of religious reasons. There's no logical rationale behind it. At some point in history it was decided to not eat meat on Friday and it was also decided that fish was an acceptable substitute because of the whole Fishers of Men thing.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

No the jist is it's a Catholic tradition to eat fish on Fridays because of religious reasons. There's no logical rationale behind it. At some point in history it was decided to not eat meat on Friday and it was also decided that fish was an acceptable substitute because of the whole Fishers of Men thing.

I think the rationale was that Friday you want to get drunk after work and fish has less calories per weight and you'd get wasted easier if you ate a light dinner.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also the pope declared capybara counted as fish.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can't wait till livestock is an obsolete tech. Give me that good ole' printed meat product.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tribbledirigible posted:

Can't wait till livestock is an obsolete tech. Give me that good ole' printed meat product.

I've seen people say they wouldn't eat lab grown meat, but I don't get why. It's the same thing except it's consistent and an animal didn't die for it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

But they will KNOW!!!!111

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looking forward to my next capybara seafood boil

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:jewish: I'm fine with my weird sweetened carp patties thank you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Grassy Knowles posted:

So you’re saying birds are a product of a CIA agreement with Monsanto, makes sense.

Birds aren't real. The cia killed them all in the 50s and replaced them with robot birds. They sit on wires to recharge their batteries and when they fly south for the winter, it's actually to area 51 to get maintenance, clear hard drives, reprogram etc ..

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I asked chatgpt to create patch notes for a meat printer...

Bug Fixes:

We've resolved the issue of the Meat Printer occasionally singing "Don't Go Bacon My Heart" at 3 AM. It will now hum it softly in daylight hours.

Fixed a bug where the Meat Printer would occasionally growl at vegetarian cookbooks. It will now respect all culinary choices.

The "Meatception" bug, where it printed a steak that contained an image of itself printing a steak containing an image of itself, has been resolved.

The Meat Printer will no longer start debates about whether pineapple belongs on pizza. It will merely provide you with pineapple-topped ham steaks if you request them.

The Meat Printer's penchant for telling "dad jokes" while printing has been fine-tuned for optimal pun delivery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Looking forward to my next capybara seafood boil

Will you provide a beaver alternative?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

lobsterminator posted:

I think the rationale was that Friday you want to get drunk after work and fish has less calories per weight and you'd get wasted easier if you ate a light dinner.

How would that apply in 82 CE where the concept of a work week, let alone a weekend, didn't exist?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kwyndig posted:

How would that apply in 82 CE where the concept of a work week, let alone a weekend, didn't exist?

Sabbath

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

it's more of a linguistic shift thing than anything else, combined with 'if it's lovely and not a luxury sure you can have an exception'.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

In reality they don't even exist. Wake up sheeple! :beck:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tribbledirigible posted:

Cojawfee posted:

I've seen people say they wouldn't eat lab grown meat, but I don't get why. It's the same thing except it's consistent and an animal didn't die for it.

Because people are dumb as heck and also ignorant. I'd really like to print out a beef-style protein matrix at 80/20 with perfect marbling and no puss, bacteria, fungus or viruses, and no gristle.

I think it's really down to people just don't understand what "meat" is and how it's harvested. It's going to be like diamonds, lab grown are objectively superior in every way so then ~natural~ diamonds shifted their focus to the imperfections and somehow that makes them more ~real~. Meat will be the same thing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cojawfee posted:

beaver alternative

That was my nickname in high school.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Because people are dumb as heck and also ignorant. I'd really like to print out a beef-style protein matrix at 80/20 with perfect marbling and no puss, bacteria, fungus or viruses, and no gristle.

I think it's really down to people just don't understand what "meat" is and how it's harvested. It's going to be like diamonds, lab grown are objectively superior in every way so then ~natural~ diamonds shifted their focus to the imperfections and somehow that makes them more ~real~. Meat will be the same thing.

The fact that something died for your meal is tied up in some people's masculinity I think

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Things still die when you 3d print lab grown meat. It's not like you aren't starving an equivalent mass of cells to death when they harvest the meat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is a 3D printed steak really "dead" though? Can you have death where there was no life to begin with?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah a petri dish of dead cells isn't quite the same as A Cow

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
And what about those luddites who refuse to use a teleporter? “Oh I’ll just cross through literally every point in space between me and my destination instead.” What a bunch of losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
yeah bring on easily synthesized meats i don't care if it was ever mooing