Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Most of those guys you could dress in civilian clothes and drop into Gaza and they'd blend right in. loving absurd ethnic conflict even for the general absurdity of ethnic conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hammerstein posted:

Someone tore the Israel flag off a synagogue in my city. Supposedly some lib chased the girl and got punched in the face for it. But the fallout is that after the "Hoooray Israel" hysteria in the local media finally toned down a little this vid made it go into overdrive. Tearing down an Israel flag is worse than thousands of dead in Gaza. I hate my country so much.

https://x.com/Bini_Guttmann/status/1715782967073615893?s=20

this is why israel should've been created in germany instead of palestine.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bouillon Rube posted:

lol “you can learn from us how to farm in the desert”

bitch these people have been farming in that very desert for centuries

Pages and pages back but, I want to stress that taking 95% of the water rights for 60% of the population is how Israel managed that "miracle".

It's genocide all the way down

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Lol I doubt it, a lot of the Israeli soldiers are probably pumped up to invade the hell out of Gaza and kill a lot of arabs like Americans after 9/11 dude.

I don't think you read the post. it's a gigantic domestic issue

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MeetThePress/status/1716096434661962097?s=20

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

there were IDF making GBS threads on netanyahu like last night lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

i did. you can have a giant domestic issue where people absolutely hate the leader, but are willing to die for the country against some external enemy.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
im sure the libs will do something, just like they held bibi to account for the judicial whatever

ComradePeach
Sep 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starting the day with a hearty lol thanks to this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

i did. you can have a giant domestic issue where people absolutely hate the leader, but are willing to die for the country against some external enemy.

even if they all show up instead of going AWOL it's horrific for morale

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Stringent posted:

this is why israel should've been created in germany instead of palestine.

Maybe. But impossible in Germany and even more impossible here in Austria where the Nazi density is even higher. All the social media in my region are a cacophony of islamophobic assholes jerking each other into a frenzy. And we see a repeat of all the classics like:

Muslims must condemn any kind of terror. All Muslims do honor killings. All Muslims oppress women. And so on...

I went outside my social media bubble for a bit today and within 5 minutes got called an anti-semite, a right winger, arrogant and more. By people whose knowledge about the Middle East comes from the same 2 Wikipedia postings they keep reciting. But I'm the Chomsky/Finkelstein/Leibowitz reading jew hater when I point out the massive war crimes against the people of Palestine.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

EAT MY loving rear end BLINKEN

GOD i hate how our media acts as if we have any kind of moral authority on anything

loving hacks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the lockstep refusal of the msm to cover strikes or protests has to be the most interesting vein of investigative journalism that has yet to be pursued.

https://x.com/DanielDenvir/status/1716092304639811964?s=20

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

even if they all show up instead of going AWOL it's horrific for morale

good

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, this is exactly my point.

Thank you for the clarification, Cpt_Obvious !

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hammerstein posted:

Maybe. But impossible in Germany and even more impossible here in Austria where the Nazi density is even higher. All the social media in my region are a cacophony of islamophobic assholes jerking each other into a frenzy. And we see a repeat of all the classics like:

Muslims must condemn any kind of terror. All Muslims do honor killings. All Muslims oppress women. And so on...

I went outside my social media bubble for a bit today and within 5 minutes got called an anti-semite, a right winger, arrogant and more. By people whose knowledge about the Middle East comes from the same 2 Wikipedia postings they keep reciting. But I'm the Chomsky/Finkelstein/Leibowitz reading jew hater when I point out the massive war crimes against the people of Palestine.

nah, i mean in 1945.

it was entirely possible.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Stringent posted:

nah, i mean in 1945.

it was entirely possible.

Possible? Sure, with enough military and police protection. It would have been a very unsafe option until all the old Nazis started dying off decades later. Even nowadays jewish cemetaries get desecrated, memorial sites get defaced on a regular basis and wearing a kippah in public gets you mean stares.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the religious/secular divide is a huge huge problem for Israel even if they all hate Arabs. the Supreme Court told them back in 2012 that they have to start conscripting haredim and they’ve been kicking the can for more than a decade with delays, new bills, bills put on pause during the 2018-2022 political chaos, etc., but prior to this attack they were supposed to come out with a new compromise in March 2024.

in the event of a ground invasion of Gaza there really are no good options. when IDF casualties start mounting, there’s going to be absolutely colossal pressure to conscript haredim, because secular Israeli society will be suffering some of the worst war casualties in its history while haredim get off scot free. but there will be equally colossal opposition, because as badly as the fundamentalist parties want to avoid conscription now, they’ll be much more serious about it when conscription means actual, likely death. and those parties are the only thing keeping likud in power.

also as an aside even if they are conscripted haredim are going to make terrible soldiers for a wide variety of reasons that goons can probably guess at.

a pretty likely possibility is a “compromise” that sees haredim serve in non combat roles (which won’t matter because the US will be doing all the real logistical work). but again, that doesn’t really address the problem of (proportionately) enormous casualties being suffered entirely by non-haredi troops.

I have no idea what the eventual outcome of all this will be, there are far too many moving parts to really predict, but this type of thing historically has led to civil wars!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Real question for a sec: What is the best way to counter someone who asks how Israel could be genocidal if the population is growing other than saying “gently caress you * waves hands at everything? *

I am 99% done arguing with anyone in favor of Israel. the old saying of “you can’t use logic to get someone out of a position they didn’t use logic to get themselves into.” really rings true. Especially with poo poo like this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FlapYoJacks posted:

Real question for a sec: What is the best way to counter someone who asks how Israel could be genocidal if the population is growing other than saying “gently caress you * waves hands at everything? *

I am 99% done arguing with anyone in favor of Israel. the old saying of “you can’t use logic to get someone out of a position they didn’t use logic to get themselves into.” really rings true. Especially with poo poo like this.

if they're decreasing the population.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

start by defining what the word “genocide” means because clearly they’re a loving idiot who feels words instead of knows them.

bombing children is genocide
destroying generations of families is genocide
uprooting the trees and destroying the arable land is genocide

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Real question for a sec: What is the best way to counter someone who asks how Israel could be genocidal if the population is growing

five point palm exploding heart technique

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Someone earlier brought up the unsustainable divide in Israel between the religious right who lusts for war and secular, liberal center who has to fight those wars. I really cannot describe how severe this gulf is, it is everywhere.

If you haven't been paying attention to Israeli politics, before this invasion the entire country has been gripped by riots and demonstrations against netenyahu. Liberals have been taking to the streets marching against the ultra conservative likud party and its death grip on the government. State riot police were dispatched to quell those marches with tear gas and batons. King Bibi (as netenyahu is called by the liberals there) is under a dozen different corruption charges that his office grants immunity from. If he is removed, there is a real chance of consequences for him. But the structure and political makeup of the Isreali government is such that removal is near impossible, and Bibi was pushing through judicial revforms to further solidify his grip on power. And thus you have the marches.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/22/1189627225/israel-protests-netanyahu-judiciary

The "netenyahu is responsible for this catastrophe" is a liberal political line being towed by the white-collar, professional, secular Jewish population.

The center cannot hold. You cannot have a bunch of religious psychopaths demanding war but also never having to serve in that war. If there is a single core ideological pillar upon which liberalism rests it is "I don't want to suffer" and invading gaza is truly the Samson to that pillar.

Although I do not know the internal workings of how a military functions, my guess is that the hesitation to launch the invasion has a lot to do with the hesitation of the liberal soldiers to fight for a regime they do not support.

Israelis aren’t gonna do poo poo lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fits my needs posted:

17 more aid trucks have been allowed in

good

HallelujahLee posted:

the 17 trucks arent carrying food or fuel just medicine apparently

still good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FlapYoJacks posted:

ever heard of the ignore list?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

genocide has specific conditions that israel's actions fulfill. raz segal, an israeli historian who studies the holocaust and genocide, concisely lays it out:

quote:

Under international law, the crime of genocide is defined by “the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such,” as noted in the December 1948 UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. In its murderous attack on Gaza, Israel has loudly proclaimed this intent. Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant declared it in no uncertain terms on October 9th: “We are imposing a complete siege on Gaza. No electricity, no food, no water, no fuel. Everything is closed. We are fighting human animals, and we will act accordingly.” Leaders in the West reinforced this racist rhetoric by describing Hamas’s mass murder of Israeli civilians—a war crime under international law that rightly provoked horror and shock in Israel and around the world—as “an act of sheer evil,” in the words of US President Joe Biden, or as a move that reflected an “ancient evil,” in the terminology of President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen. This dehumanizing language is clearly calculated to justify the wide scale destruction of Palestinian lives; the assertion of “evil,” in its absolutism, elides distinctions between Hamas militants and Gazan civilians, and occludes the broader context of colonization and occupation.

The UN Genocide Convention lists five acts that fall under its definition. Israel is currently perpetrating three of these in Gaza: “1. Killing members of the group. 2. Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group. 3. Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part.” The Israeli Air Force, by its own account, has so far dropped more than 6,000 bombs on Gaza, which is one of the most densely populated areas in the world—almost as many bombs as the US dropped on all of Afghanistan during record-breaking years of its war there. Human Rights Watch has confirmed that the weapons used included phosphorous bombs, which set fire to bodies and buildings, creating flames that aren’t extinguished on contact with water. This demonstrates clearly what Gallant means by “act accordingly”: not targeting individual Hamas militants, as Israel claims, but unleashing deadly violence against Palestinians in Gaza “as such,” in the language of the UN Genocide Convention. Israel has also intensified its 16-year siege of Gaza—the longest in modern history, in clear violation of international humanitarian law—to a “complete siege,” in Gallant’s words. This turn of phrase that explicitly indexes a plan to bring the siege to its final destination of systematic destruction of Palestinians and Palestinian society in Gaza, by killing them, starving them, cutting off their water supplies, and bombing their hospitals.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hamas ambushed a patrol of Zionists trying to infiltrate south east Gaza

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1716095277881266195

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if i was america i don't know why I'd do something sane like actually punish nazis instead of laundering them back into power and facilitate the healing of a culture done grievous harm in the holocaust

when i can just give them all guns and send them on safari in the holy land to the furtherance of a really bugshit idea of white supremacy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone walking out the "actually their population is increasing" line isn't worth arguing with them. It's the number one way to know someone has done a lot of research on the topic and is playing at being an idiot because they can't say how they really feel.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If someone is hair splitting over the technical definition of genocide then they give 0 fucks about people dying and are not worth engaging with.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don't spar with morons on social media. A lesson I re-learned for the hundreth time today and which I will likely forget again in a month. It's not worth your time.

If you really wanna dive into the brown sea maybe show them what the infant mortality is in the Gaza strip, compared to the rest of the region and to Israel.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zodium posted:

genocide has specific conditions that israel's actions fulfill. raz segal, an israeli historian who studies the holocaust and genocide, concisely lays it out:

thank you! Bookmarked!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Don't spar with morons on social media. A lesson I re-learned for the hundreth time today and which I will likely forget again in a month. It's not worth your time.

If you really wanna dive into the brown sea maybe show them what the infant mortality is in the Gaza strip, compared to the rest of the region and to Israel.

also good advice I keep forgetting. :smith:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Death By The Blues posted:

Hamas ambushed a patrol of Zionists trying to infiltrate south east Gaza

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1716095277881266195

alright wrap it up wrap it up. ground invasions over folks go home

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also worth remembering the killing is the last most bitter step of a genocide, the decades of dehumanization and incremental obliteration of a populace are the true crime in totality, it's EVEN MORE TERRIBLE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

smarxist posted:

also worth remembering the killing is the last most bitter step of a genocide, the decades of dehumanization and incremental obliteration of a populace are the true crime in totality, it's EVEN MORE TERRIBLE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE

I at least understand this by heart but have failed to be able to express this in eloquent terms other than “gently caress you DTI.”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'd say a chokeslam followed by a camel clutch

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd say a chokeslam followed by a camel clutch

you won’t

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

FlapYoJacks posted:

thank you! Bookmarked!

link to the convention:

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreve...%20Genocide.pdf