Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They're definitely the good guys. Unless you have a viewpoint that differs even slightly from theirs. Then you get your head chopped off with a laser plasma sword.

IIRC the jedi council in kotor 1 and 2 regard themselves as a bunch of super-wise know-it-all guys when they have zero clue or plan on how to react to any calamity except hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
finally repasted my cpu after... 5 years? temps down from highs of 80-90+ to 40-50c. didn't think it'd make that much of a difference but lol. might actually need to use a space heater now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cuttlefush posted:

finally repasted my cpu after... 5 years? temps down from highs of 80-90+ to 40-50c. didn't think it'd make that much of a difference but lol. might actually need to use a space heater now

prolly because the heatsink wasn't properly in contact with the CPU in the first place

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

IIRC the jedi council in kotor 1 and 2 regard themselves as a bunch of super-wise know-it-all guys when they have zero clue or plan on how to react to any calamity except hide

You don't see the Jedi council in 1, you run into 4 guys hanging out on some planet in 1 and they tell you to go clean up your own mess.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

smarxist posted:

i thought 4k was fake but then i saw a retina display and well

4k in the new Forza game looks loving sick too but I was getting lovely FPS with it as well on High on a 4070

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Palladium posted:

prolly because the heatsink wasn't properly in contact with the CPU in the first place

it was

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

nothing in the gameplay is really grabbing me but the story is fun

Yeah, you're playing an RPG lol.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

old paste doesn't gently caress with temps that much unless your poo poo was like crusty on the cpu

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

smarxist posted:

i thought 4k was fake but then i saw a retina display and well

eyeball resolvable pixel density depends on viewing distance. retina displays are like 300-400 ppi which absolutely does make a difference for a monitor or phone display your eyeballs are going to be very close to for a lot of uses. antonymous made some big effort posts about this in here at some point. or maybe the previous video game thread

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Large Testicles posted:

old paste doesn't gently caress with temps that much unless your poo poo was like crusty on the cpu

it was solid and had to be chipped off. the paste being solid probably did cause loss of contact area between the heat sink and cpu. not sure how much would be due to that or thermal conductivity loss from the paste being old and hard as a rock. it was seated correctly the first time around because temps were also down around 40-50 and just crept up imperceptibly over the years

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

4K isn't fake, its a very real marketing strategy for selling more expensive displays and GPUs.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ideally people would recognize that it's too many pixels for games and not have resorted to upscaling extremely low resolutions up to 4k with blurry bullshit but we live in fuckin HELLWORLD

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That is also part of the marketing strategy where Nvidia can now sell people DLSS to remove the extra pixels that they paid for.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

(Whisper.) "Are pixels bourgeois?"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
no

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

FFV rules. The new translation from gba onward gives it a Saturday morning cartoon charm, the job system rules and the soundtrack is great. There’s a

there’s a ffv four job fiesta every year!

I’ve seen the job fiesta threads before but only scanned. I’ll check it out again.

docbeard posted:

I'm glad someone thinks so! (Because I have more, brought to you by a minor bout of sleeplessness)

We find some more owlbears which were being used as guards by the Zhentil Keep assholes, because hey, if you've got an unholy amalgamation of owl and bear I guess you gotta do something with it! Anyway, we rescue Aminatis the wizard who sheds a little bit of light on things and kicks off what appears to be the actual plot of the game.

Apparently there are four magic statues that, legend has it, once protected the ancient (now-ruined) city of Ascore. Which is where the Zhentarim invasion is going to rally from. If we grab the statues and combine them with a magic Ring of Reversal, it might in fact be extremely bad for Ascore and the invading army inside it, and extremely good for us.

Of course it's not nearly that easy, since the directions to the statues are a bit cryptic. Still Aminatis says we can visit him at his home in Secomber and he'll share with us any further insights from his research. (Basically he's the "come here if you get stuck and I'll tell you where to go next" dude at this point.) But for now, we're to go back to Yartar (the city where, as a reminder, we started by heroically getting robbed in a tavern). There's apparently a Kraken base there.

Who are the Krakens? Who the gently caress knows! They're allied with the Zhentarim though (and I think the game does expect us to know who they are but :itisamystery:).

Anyway, back to Yartar, and aside from a few little wandering monster ambushes (okay a lot of them) nothing much seems to have changed...until we try to leave the city again, and we get ambushed and dragged into an underground lair. After a villainous "i will let my minions dispose of you because you're not worth my time" speech from who I assume is the final boss, we explore and fight our way out, picking up a bit of magical loot in the process, and finally defeat the local Kraken commander (and a few actual giant squids for good measure because why the gently caress not I guess). We happily recover the magic longsword that was stolen from us in the prologue, too. We get a few oblique hints about where to go next, but a trip to Secomber makes it clear that the first statue is in the port city of Luskan.

But Neverwinter is on the way so we stop off there first. (I wonder if Neverwinter is the Forgotten Realms city that's been in the most CRPGs? It's gotta be either that or Baldur's Gate, right?). They're (of course) having some trouble with monsters (of course) infesting their beautiful gardens (which use the lovely sewer tileset). There's also a promise of a magic weapon if we can come up with some meteoric ore.

The plot is now a bit conventional by CRPG standards - gather artifacts to defeat the big bad - but I'll admit I enjoyed the twist of having the actual baddies sic us on the cackling supervillain evil fundie Bane cultists as a ruse. (Anyone who's played a Gold Box game before would definitely not question being sent off to kill Bane cultists.) Like, it's no Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 (let alone 3) but I'll admit I'm enjoying myself a lot more than I expected when I fired this up on a random whim.

It’s always those drat Zhents.

I had no idea the Gold Box games had such robust storytelling.

I think Neverwinter has to be used the most in CRPGs. Besides Baldur’s Gate, Luskan perhaps? Shadowdale is just too small I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

(Whisper.) "Are pixels bourgeois?"

My landlord is a pixel

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, the ending of KOTOR is pretty boring, also a bit tedious. The whole Star Forge section is just waves of mooks, and not interesting.

They repeat the whole act in Mass Effect too.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, the ending of KOTOR is pretty boring, also a bit tedious. The whole Star Forge section is just waves of mooks, and not interesting.

They repeat the whole act in Mass Effect too.

i actually never finished the game lol, you get to that big sand planet or w/e star forge and i had had my fill of turbo loving mooks with my sick dual vibrosword build (sabers are for losers)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That part is still ok because there's still one lore dump left where they tell you that the Star Forge just sucks the force out of everyone and that's why the galactic empire of the builders collapsed and they reverted to squabbling island tribes on a single planet.

Malak and Raven were complete morons and whatever they did with the Star Forge would eventually blow back on them.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

ff8 and big babies ftw

Big babies are ftw, which is why Drakengard is the GOAT

Al! posted:

people were talking about de enough that i realized i had enough brain damage to have forgotten a lot of it, so i'm playing it again. i forgot that a "dick mullen" is featured in the game rofl

I died in my most recent DE playthrough because I looked at board games in a shop and suddenly remembered that I don't have any friends. Talk about immersive!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Big babies are ftw, which is why Drakengard is the GOAT

I died in my most recent DE playthrough because I looked at board games in a shop and suddenly remembered that I don't have any friends. Talk about immersive!

ahaha, gently caress

i loved how that game could blast you right between the eyes sometimes, double barrel

edit:
the poo poo that would cause damage was so funny at times

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I tried to Eco this week. I went onto a South Park themed weed server and set up a shack for basic hole digging. After setting up basecamp, only citizens can use the workbench and the admin sold skill scrolls for 500 Tokes which for me to get I'd have to sell him 7100 plant fibers. So..... that place can go gently caress itself.

Looking for an Eco

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

South Park themed weed server

Truly shangri-la

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DAKKADAKKA1/status/1715903151587434662?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

You are actually missing out on content if you rush Gortash right after arriving lol

yeah I knew that would happen and I'm kinda miffed but I'm at the beginning of moonrise in my solo run and I can Do It Right

guy in my group keeps initiating combat while I'm talking if he doesn't like the direction the conversation is going and I want to kill him irl. he's forty years old

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm pretty sure I jacked off to this music video in 7th grade

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Chants of Sennaar is a fun little puzzle game and I'm glad I gave the developers my $20 - only one puzzle in the whole game I felt was unfair and needed to cheese

next up is maybe Cyberpunk but I just saw World of Horror 1.0 is up. anyone try it out yet?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

I'm pretty sure I jacked off to this music video in 7th grade

Goons posting their L's

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

smarxist posted:

Goons posting their Load's

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

It looks good. From what I've seen it's much shorter than Valhalla and ditches a bunch of the leveled rpg nonsense

I liked Odyssey and I'd pick it up but I'm trying to be mindful of buying games when there's so much still to play

if you have pc gamepass (the best deal in gaming), you have odyssey and origins through ubisoft+

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

KirbyKhan posted:

I tried to Eco this week. I went onto a South Park themed weed server and set up a shack for basic hole digging. After setting up basecamp, only citizens can use the workbench and the admin sold skill scrolls for 500 Tokes which for me to get I'd have to sell him 7100 plant fibers. So..... that place can go gently caress itself.

Looking for an Eco

yeah 99% of rando eco servers ive found to be run by like the type of kid where his parents would send you to play at his house but he wouldnt let you play with any of his toys and he'd try to make fun of you to their mom

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you know, rich kids

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
every seven years your cells are all new so you have to relearn that south park is still super funny

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still on NG+ of AC, zooming around with a max laser ultra light. Nothing can touch me.
Next is Pentiment, I think.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lostconfused posted:

Persona 3 came out at the time of Death Note and Code Geass, that's what a protagonist was like in popular media.

lil homie Geass

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

yeah I knew that would happen and I'm kinda miffed but I'm at the beginning of moonrise in my solo run and I can Do It Right

guy in my group keeps initiating combat while I'm talking if he doesn't like the direction the conversation is going and I want to kill him irl. he's forty years old

The biggest problem with a video game being your DM is that it can't punitively drop boulders on that guy's head like somebody should have done twenty years ago

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loquacius posted:

The biggest problem with a video game being your DM is that it can't punitively drop boulders on that guy's head like somebody should have done twenty years ago

"Are you sure that's the action you want to take?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad posted:

it was so rushed they forgot to add enemy animations, they just take damage without flinching like an xb1 game. assassinations consist of the target politely turning towards you before dying

also the plot is basically nothing

Cool, sounds like I'm skipping this one. I'm one of those sickos who likes the Ubisoft games where you just do all the map icons, so I was disappointed to hear this one was back-to-basics AC.

Also that $45 price point makes it seem like they don't believe in it themselves. I'm dumb to say a game should cost more but when even a AAA developer isn't shameless enough to slap $60 on a product, it's a sign of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's called "chaotic neutral disorder" and it's somehow more tiresome than people who play evil characters all the time

Lib and let die posted:

"Are you sure that's the action you want to take?"

Just dripping with as much contempt as you possibly can while you say it