Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm thinking of selling my Fiio BTR7, any interest here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

I need earbuds! These skullcandies are uncomfortable (the housing digs into my ear) and WAY TOO LOUD. I can hear the quantization noise from my DAC! I want a pair that are quiet enough that I can turn the volume way up on without damaging my ears. Wired is a must, rubber seal is a must, budget $30-$150. I used to have a pair of Etimotic ER2SE's, and those things straight up didn't work on the airplane (one ear had no bass). They later broke completely, so these either need to be DURABLE or so cheap it doesn't matter. I'd like a pretty flat response as well since I do music production, but no biggie as long as the highs have clarity. Most important aspect is quiet, so I can push the gain for a low noise floor.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Ok Comboomer posted:

otherwise yeah I kinda recommend fixing up the cans that you have, or you can look at the Senn/Sony that were recommended

yeah I was thinking a little rashly, I'm gonna fix them up after all

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Did you try replacing the cable on your Etys? It’s a major point of failure on them but they meet your other requirements really

If it’s the driver or you’re just mad at them I get not wanting another pair

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Dogen posted:

Did you try replacing the cable on your Etys? It’s a major point of failure on them but they meet your other requirements really

If it’s the driver or you’re just mad at them I get not wanting another pair

Nah, I tried swapping the drivers and the problem went over to the other side. I tried RMAing them but they must have sent me back the same pair, because the problem didn't go away and I only found out months later on another flight.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

panic state posted:

I need earbuds! These skullcandies are uncomfortable (the housing digs into my ear) and WAY TOO LOUD. I can hear the quantization noise from my DAC! I want a pair that are quiet enough that I can turn the volume way up on without damaging my ears. Wired is a must, rubber seal is a must, budget $30-$150. I used to have a pair of Etimotic ER2SE's, and those things straight up didn't work on the airplane (one ear had no bass). They later broke completely, so these either need to be DURABLE or so cheap it doesn't matter. I'd like a pretty flat response as well since I do music production, but no biggie as long as the highs have clarity. Most important aspect is quiet, so I can push the gain for a low noise floor.

Try the Truthear Zero:Red at $55, which is neutral with a bass boost. While you can go even cheaper and still get something pretty decent (7Hz Zero, Moondrop Chu), I'd say the Zero:Red is worth the extra money over the $20 category solely for its more satisfying, impactful bass. The midrange is solid, and the treble is very well-controlled on the Zero:Red. There's an impedance adapter in the box if you want more bass, which will also make it a little harder to drive.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Godzilla07 posted:

Try the Truthear Zero:Red at $55, which is neutral with a bass boost. While you can go even cheaper and still get something pretty decent (7Hz Zero, Moondrop Chu), I'd say the Zero:Red is worth the extra money over the $20 category solely for its more satisfying, impactful bass. The midrange is solid, and the treble is very well-controlled on the Zero:Red. There's an impedance adapter in the box if you want more bass, which will also make it a little harder to drive.

Thanks, I'll give em a try. I like the aesthetic. They seem to be more sensitive than the skullcandies, but I'll see how the adapter works for me.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any opinions on the galaxy buds 2 pro pro 2 for like 120? I could use some decent ear buds for meetings, vr, working out, music on my android, stuff like that. I'd probably go up to 150 if there's something substantially better.

Edit: apparently the galaxy buds pro 2 and the galaxy buds 2 pro are different products? and this is why I hate shopping for this stuff.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 10, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

£120/$120 for the Buds 2 Pro is a loving steal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Parallelwoody posted:

Any opinions on the galaxy buds 2 pro pro 2 for like 120? I could use some decent ear buds for meetings, vr, working out, music on my android, stuff like that. I'd probably go up to 150 if there's something substantially better.

Edit: apparently the galaxy buds pro 2 and the galaxy buds 2 pro are different products? and this is why I hate shopping for this stuff.

First off, just the normal caveat that bluetooth introduces a bit of latency, so if your VR is latency sensitive be aware of that. It can impact meetings a bit as well.

Buds 2 Pro is the official name. If someone's labeling them Buds Pro 2 that's just an error. Thankfully even Samsung isn't inane enough confuse things that much. There is, however, the non-pro Buds 2.

$120 is roughly what I've seen them going for online for the past 6 months. I haven't tried the Pro's, but I love my regular Buds2's and the Pros seem to have slightly better audio quality:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...&threshold=0.10

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks! I saw listings for each phrasing with like a 60 dollar difference, so figured they were actually different products. Not too worried about latency, I'm old and slow and don't really notice it with anything else.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

£120/$120 for the Buds 2 Pro is a loving steal.

you can get them for less than that on ebay, samsung constantly bundles them with other devices and they get flipped for cheap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Buds+2+Pro&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Just a heads up that the Soundcore Q45 are on sale brand new for $100 for the next day and a half (and apparently $80 for refurbished models through Amazon, but I have no idea if those come with the hardcase and cables). I've never personally tried these out so I don't know how well they perform, but they might be worth looking at for someone shopping for mid-tier ANC headphones who want something better built than the plastic fantastic that Sony offers at that price point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Q30s I have are real good for their price, but I know people were kinda iffy on the Q35 by comparison.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought a pair of refurbished Buds 2 Pros for $60 and they're great, even if you don't have a Samsung device. They're my default workout headphones.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm looking for an upgrade to my Steelseries Arctis (?) 7 wireless.

I definitely need a good microphone for zoom purposes. Over-ear for isolation. Budget basically unlimited.

Something I can still physically hook up to my phone and/or work laptop when WFH without using a dongle and installing custom drivers (can't really do that on my work laptop) would be a key feature. A USB dongle might be OK if it's completely generic USB audio device without needing any drivers at all. Arctis 7 has a cable you can plugin with a 4-pin headset jack. Or some kind of option for a 4-pin analog interface on the wireless receiver would be great, but seems unlikely.

I mean really the same features as the Arctis 7 but with a significantly better microphone would be enough.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Amazon’s Christmas in October bullshit has Sennheiser HD600s going for $285. Are they a worthwhile replacement for Astro A50 Gen 4s? I’ve been happy with the Astros but two years in the padding on the top bar has broken off and is digging into my bald head in a very uncomfortable way.

My use case is parked at a desk in a home office where I’ll do meetings, listen to music while working, and some gaming.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That seems like a high price when the 6xx are like $180

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Oh dang, just found that on Drop. I think I’ll go that direction. Thanks!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I am saving money for a higher-end headphones (considering LCD-X at the moment) but yesterday I thought what about IE900?

I mainly use HD650 and ER3XR’s at home and airpods pro 2 or Wh-1000xm3 when outside or travelling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i would not be surprised if the guy who died because he tried to "magical thinking" his otherwise treatable cancer away was also an audiophile

Uh, wasn't it pancreatic? I think he lived with it for like 7 years, with 9% of people having a 5 year survival rate

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

veni veni veni posted:

Uh, wasn't it pancreatic? I think he lived with it for like 7 years, with 9% of people having a 5 year survival rate

It was a rare, treatable sort found early, but he refused surgery or any treatment other than literally fruit for 9 months. he expressed his regret for that in multiple interviews.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I just picked up some Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones and, uh, let's just say I can see why used/open box examples are on such steep discount. In addition to being extremely bright, they have a strange coloration in the upper-mids/low highs that can't be EQ'ed out and makes them irritating to listen to for more than a minute. Despite being a heavily V-shaped headphone, they also have slightly less sub-bass extension than the HD 58X I tried out earlier, but I kind of expected that based on reviews that brought this up.

They do look as gorgeous as they are in photos, but that doesn't translate to comfort. The elastic headband doesn't agree with me very much and feels like most of the clamping force is concentrated on the top of my head rather than on my ears. It constantly feels like it is being pulled up and puts more pressure on the tops of the earpads than the bottom. The earpads themselves are made out of the same, scratchy velour as a lot of Sennheiser models. At least they have tons of clearance and my ears don't touch the inside liner like some models do.

The X2HR comes with a cable with braided insulation, a trend in consumer electronics that really needs to die. They collect dust and dirt, get frayed, and can't be cleaned easily. And, as I'm learning, when used in a headphone application, they produce a ton of microphonics any time they brush up against anything. The only good thing about it is it comes in a typical length (3m) and connects to the headphones using a standard 3.5mm jack, so it can easily be replaced with a better one.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The HD6XXs came in. They sounded really good just plugged into my motherboard. But I picked up a cheap amp/DAC and that stepped them up a bit more - the bass comes in more and the overall sound is clearer. I tried the same songs in each configuration just to make the placebo effect really sink in.

What I wasn’t expecting was to immediately dislike other headphones. I had some Beats connected to my iPad and they sounded like poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Capable headphones are like HD displays, once you've had the good stuff it's hard to go back. But even "basic" 560s can get most of the way there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
bought some HD599s on a whim because the ivory color was 50% off on amazon. they are really great. Extraordinarily clear sound, very lightweight, very comfortable

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Well Played Mauer posted:

The HD6XXs came in. They sounded really good just plugged into my motherboard. But I picked up a cheap amp/DAC and that stepped them up a bit more - the bass comes in more and the overall sound is clearer. I tried the same songs in each configuration just to make the placebo effect really sink in.

What I wasn’t expecting was to immediately dislike other headphones. I had some Beats connected to my iPad and they sounded like poo poo.

what beats are they, maybe you should upgrade those next

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Not today, satan. (I bought the apple usb-c dongle already.)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Several weeks ago, I sold my beloved Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms I bought in 2007 because they mostly just sat in their box for the longest time and I have been regretting it ever since. I finally bit the bullet and got a replacement set, and I think I see what people mean about the spike at 8 kHz these have. I wish I had the old pair to compare side by side, but I swear those ones were quite a bit warmer and smoother. Without any EQ, I could listen to them all day without any fatigue. The new ones need a dip in the high end to get the same result. It's either that or I've been rolling off the highs on all my other headphones and I've gotten used to that kind of sound. Thankfully, nothing else about their sound profile seems to have changed.

Edit: After listening to these for a few hours, I can confidently say that the difference is not my imagination. These are downright harsh. The usual message board advice is to let them break in, but a) break-in isn't real, b) I purchased my last set brand new and never observed any of this, and c) the new ones were "open box" and likely have quite a few hours of play time on them already.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 21, 2023

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Your new DT770 could be brighter due to unit variation:

While the boosted treble of DT770 isn't an issue in the applications I use it for (monitoring, gaming), I don't reach for it when I want to listen to music. The boosted treble throws off timbre, and introduces real issues with sibilance. (Some engineers like this aspect of the DT770 because it allows them to easily check for sibilance.)

These days, I'm in the camp of "the best closed back headphone is an IEM." I'd take a $55 Truthear Zero:Red over a DT770 for music.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Godzilla07 posted:

These days, I'm in the camp of "the best closed back headphone is an IEM." I'd take a $55 Truthear Zero:Red over a DT770 for music.

Same, I don't get cups at all. They are so much more annoying to use and store versus an IEM and they also don't sound as natural and tactile versus a decent pair of small speakers like the iLoud Micro.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my giant gently caress off over ears but I also routinely have helicopters and construction noise around my place and they isolate so well it’s worth it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I agree that IEMs are in general better than closed backs at this point but I do still love my sennheiser HD25 to death. yes, they're on-ear but mine are so old and formed to my head that I don't even notice i'm wearing them anymore. One of the few (only?) actual headphones around $100 that I think beat the Aria and its ilk.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I personally can't wear IEMs for more than a few minutes or my ears start aching or itching, and I've tried several (Comply tips don't help either). I have TWS buds for when I'm out of the house and need to listen to something in a pinch, but for home use, over-ears are just plain unfussy and don't require constant adjustment to ensure a good seal or avoid irritation like IEMs do for me.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Any advice for a basshead looking to jack the bass up with my AKG 371's? I'm using peace/eqAPO and have a harman curve thing set for the pair. Which frequency range is ideal to crank up? Should i use the bass booster effects thing instead?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AEMINAL posted:

Any advice for a basshead looking to jack the bass up with my AKG 371's? I'm using peace/eqAPO and have a harman curve thing set for the pair. Which frequency range is ideal to crank up? Should i use the bass booster effects thing instead?

Depends what kind of bass you're looking for. I would ditch the "harman" adjustment and start from flat, the K371 is already tuned close enough to harman that eq probably isn't going to help you get closer without other drawbacks. Start with a single low shelf at around 80 hz and +4db or so. That'll give you a healthy sub boost, you can adjust the frequency and volume from there.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

AEMINAL posted:

These headphones are known for being finnicky with sealing properly. Are you sure you're getting the intended amount of bass in the first place?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Zorilla posted:

These headphones are known for being finnicky with sealing properly. Are you sure you're getting the intended amount of bass in the first place?

Yeah, with the brainwavz oval earpads it seals great - positioning them properly can be a bit tricky though.

I'll try going flat with the 80hz, thanks goon above this quote!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

AEMINAL posted:

Yeah, with the brainwavz oval earpads it seals great - positioning them properly can be a bit tricky though.

I'll try going flat with the 80hz, thanks goon above this quote!

Personally, I actually disagree about Brainwavz, I thought they sucked. Went for the Shure pads instead which were way better and more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Are there any decent wireless neckband headphones that don't have a stupid solid neckband? I have a pair of B&W P13s which are *perfect* but the left one is cutting out from what looks like cable damage and I haven't yet tried to pull them apart and one inevitably gently caress up fixing them.

B&W don't make them anymore and only due earbuds and the alternatives I can find all seem to be extremely flimsy looking Sony pairs or one from Libratone that has reviews saying that they can fail quickly with guess what, defective cables!