Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol if you aren’t watching all the Tim Rogers stuff

Speaking of, it’s been like a year since his boku no natsuyasumi video, and granted if you started it on the day it came out you’d just now be finishing it, but where are the videos Tim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

One super loving annoying thing is when a video gets delisted or removed or whatever it completely nukes the entry from your watch history. It should IMO at least leave the title there because it legit drives me nuts trying to go back through my history trying to find a video I know I watched only for it to be completely gone.

Yeah I have no idea what compels YouTube to basically wipe the mere memory of the video away. It’s stupidly annoying

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
"6 unavailable videos are hidden"

gently caress you, Youtube!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

Long form videos are extremely my poo poo to the point where I went through a 7 hour deep dive into Death Stranding only to be recommended total series retrospective of Final Fantasy and scoffed at it being only 4 hours.

the entire arc of my gaming this year was completely upended by watching Noah Caldwell-Gervais's magnum opus and I've barely played anything outside of Fallout in the month since

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Frankly, I think those long videos are just bad. It's like Lex Fridman doing 2,5 hour interviews. There's a reason journalists have editors.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The thing about the 9 hour series retrospective to me is you could just make it a video series and put it all together into a big 9 hour video once its all done for the people who want that. Like a bunch of channels do that.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

**big time mushroom eating ape walking out of the forest energy**

is there a nice util I can install that will analyse an unfamiliar HDD and throw up some stats that will help me work out where the hell all the storage is being eaten up?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Qmass posted:

**big time mushroom eating ape walking out of the forest energy**

is there a nice util I can install that will analyse an unfamiliar HDD and throw up some stats that will help me work out where the hell all the storage is being eaten up?

I've used WinDirStat for a number of years.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
WizTree is WinDirStat but with orders of magnitude better performance.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

K8.0 posted:

WizTree is WinDirStat but with orders of magnitude better performance.

Nice

E: lol that they have the same weird blob shading on the boxes as windirstat

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Spacemonger 1.4.0, released in 2000, still works great, it's fast, and it has the best visualisation of any similar app I've seen.

https://archive.org/details/spcmn140_zip

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It would be interesting to see the watch statistics of the entire youtube catalog and be able to compare them.

My guess is that 90% of youtube content is basically unwatched, maybe 95%

I have no hard data to back this up, but the amount of big creators on the platform vs account holders who have uploaded video has to be skewed hugely towards the latter.

I upload 3x full length high school classes every single school day as unlisted videos.

During Covid I learned how to record my own screen and so now when kids miss class due to sports or being sick they can get the info.

I don’t wanna tell youtube how to run their business, but it really feels like I should be paying somebody.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m in the same boat. I have a ton of videos uploaded as unlisted just for sharing with friends and on discord and whatnot

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spunkshui posted:

I upload 3x full length high school classes every single school day as unlisted videos.

During Covid I learned how to record my own screen and so now when kids miss class due to sports or being sick they can get the info.

I don’t wanna tell youtube how to run their business, but it really feels like I should be paying somebody.

Google makes an incredible amount of money that they would never ever not be able to run youtube no matter how much we all upload.

Now they might decide it isn't profitable enough but that's the mistake that constantly happens, profitable well-liked things constantly getting gutted because of nebulos lack of growth. The brain poison of how business operates.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

The thing about the 9 hour series retrospective to me is you could just make it a video series and put it all together into a big 9 hour video once its all done for the people who want that. Like a bunch of channels do that.

But then you can’t make your Skyrim video 11:11:11 long.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i liked death stranding even with the kojima story but a 7 hour video about it sounds like torture

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Steak Bentley's three hour MGS4 was a mistake video is art and holds a special place in my heart for introducing me to The Protomen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Steak Bentley's three hour MGS4 was a mistake video is art and holds a special place in my heart for introducing me to The Protomen.

omg same, and same

I love long-format videos because I like to fall asleep to them and listen to them podcast-style while I work or drive, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There’s a lot of unnecessarily long stunt-content being made where some 18 year old summarizes the entirety of Adventure Time, or One Piece, etc for 2-8 hours and contributes nothing, but the people that do it well (Hbomberguy, Tim Rogers, Folding Ideas, Knowing Better, Sarah Z, Super Eyepatch Wolf, Natalie Wynn, etc) do it really well, and it’s an interesting turn for documentary film as an art form

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Tim Rogers review where it was split into multiple videos you could choose which of them you wanted to watch and in whatever order was really cool I felt.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Bismuth, who makes speedrun explanation videos, did that with their Super Mario 64 No-A Button Press history videos. Also a quality watch over 5 hours.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Google makes an incredible amount of money that they would never ever not be able to run youtube no matter how much we all upload.

Now they might decide it isn't profitable enough but that's the mistake that constantly happens, profitable well-liked things constantly getting gutted because of nebulos lack of growth. The brain poison of how business operates.

the economics of datacenter hard drives are such that it's basically free to store data that isn't accessed

read/write bandwidth and random access has not scaled nearly as fast as capacity

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

The Tim Rogers review where it was split into multiple videos you could choose which of them you wanted to watch and in whatever order was really cool I felt.

lol if you didn’t watch all of them, even if he told you to only watch two

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I totally did but being able to choose the order was cool.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

KakerMix posted:

With the war Google/YouTube seems to have declared on adblockers, it looks like that time is now.

I started getting the pop-over on Firefox. First it was repeated "disable ad blockers or subscribe, you can continue to watch though". Then it changed to "you can watch 3 more videos, after that you are blocked", and it blocked. I installed Opera, and it worked on there for a bit, but now it's blocked on Opera but working on Firefox again.

It feels like an overbearing way to shove people to subscribe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They've also started penny pinching on storage space for Gmail and Google drive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Koskun posted:

With the war Google/YouTube seems to have declared on adblockers, it looks like that time is now.

I started getting the pop-over on Firefox. First it was repeated "disable ad blockers or subscribe, you can continue to watch though". Then it changed to "you can watch 3 more videos, after that you are blocked", and it blocked. I installed Opera, and it worked on there for a bit, but now it's blocked on Opera but working on Firefox again.

adblocking youtube still works for me on chrome (with ublock; didn't realize till now that they officially changed the name from μblock)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s a lot of unnecessarily long stunt-content being made where some 18 year old summarizes the entirety of Adventure Time, or One Piece, etc for 2-8 hours and contributes nothing, but the people that do it well (Hbomberguy, Tim Rogers, Folding Ideas, Knowing Better, Sarah Z, Super Eyepatch Wolf, Natalie Wynn, etc) do it really well, and it’s an interesting turn for documentary film as an art form

Long form YouTube has gotten so long that Lindsey Ellis doesn’t count.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Ok Comboomer posted:

i stuck to the rules and am content with picking an entire segment about gamer chairs :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Long form YouTube has gotten so long that Lindsey Ellis doesn’t count.

she isn’t making content on YouTube anymore, only nebula

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rinkles posted:

adblocking youtube still works for me on chrome (with ublock; didn't realize till now that they officially changed the name from μblock)

My guess is they are testing their adblock detection here and there to see how good it is and/or if it can be bypassed. There was another goon that mentioned they got the pop-up a day or so ago. I asked half a dozen people I know that watch youtube on their computers (all use ublock Origin), and none of them have seen the pop up.

I saw the dev of ublock origin has a post on reddit about what they are doing to bypass it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Long form videos are extremely my poo poo to the point where I went through a 7 hour deep dive into Death Stranding only to be recommended total series retrospective of Final Fantasy and scoffed at it being only 4 hours.

You can't post something like this without a link, damnit! (I wanted to get into that game but I'm just loving awful at the stealth in it)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I wonder if anyone is encoding data into YouTube videos as a weird file storage and distribution mechanism

E. Ofcourse they are https://hackaday.com/2023/02/21/youtube-as-infinite-file-storage/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

priznat posted:

I totally did but being able to choose the order was cool.

netflix should try that for a mostly super mediocre crime show!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

watho posted:

netflix should try that for a mostly super mediocre crime show!

You mean that black mirror episode they did? I thought that was pretty good

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Fil5000 posted:

You mean that black mirror episode they did? I thought that was pretty good

no, kaleidoscope

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

taiyoko posted:

You can't post something like this without a link, damnit! (I wanted to get into that game but I'm just loving awful at the stealth in it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2Y5rxlg-M

Are you talking about stealth against BTS (the weird black umbilical cord ghosts) or against MULE bandits?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve's tilting at comments again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XscfA1dT60

jisforjosh posted:

Are you talking about stealth against BTS

Remembering when IGN put up a guide video titled "How To Kill BTS" and got brigaded by k-pop stans.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Koskun posted:

Purge and update your filterlists with uBlock daily, you shouldn't have any problem.

KakerMix posted:

MAXIMIZE SHAREHOLDER VALUE

Whaddya mean double digit growth isn't sustainable forever :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No that updating list stuff doesn't work. They are disabling via your logged in account and god knows what else. So far Brave browser works..