Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Simplex posted:

Do we need to have an intervention with Pacific Division or something? They're is an awful lot of dogshit and garbage going on there currently.

Canucks have played decently well in 4/5 games. They're not good by any stretch but this is their strongest start in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks have played decently well in 4/5 games. They're not good by any stretch but this is their strongest start in a decade.

SUrely, this is hyperbole. The Canucks haven't been bad for that long!

*checks their past decade*

Oh, I didn't realize I have been reading Canucks doomposting for this long.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Nice, sounds like they might be in playoff contention come trade deadline and be in a position to spend some picks then so that they can get some gritty rentals and learn a winning culture even though they won't be good enough to make a deep playoff run.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

SUrely, this is hyperbole. The Canucks haven't been bad for that long!

*checks their past decade*

Oh, I didn't realize I have been reading Canucks doomposting for this long.

Buddy, the Canucks finals run was 12.5 years ago. Connor bedard was 5. This has gone on longer than the Kessel Leafs era now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

The Caps were not as bad last night as they have been. They did not play a complete game but Ovi came alive and looked like he normally does. Kuzy too…at times. Wilson still just loving around out there. There was a lot of awful puck luck for them and the refs were complete dogshit rear end.

I’m not a person who generally complains about refereeing, but holy poo poo they were awful yesterday.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

fermun posted:

Nice, sounds like they might be in playoff contention come trade deadline and be in a position to spend some picks then so that they can get some gritty rentals and learn a winning culture even though they won't be good enough to make a deep playoff run.

I hear Tanner Pearson will be available!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Don't think I'd ever seen Auston Matthews stickhandle like that before in last night's OT, let alone nearly score. I guess he really was healthy enough to work on stuff in the offseason

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well hopefully Connor still heals like wolverine

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
actually I'm hopeful he dies

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why the hell are hockey games starting at 6PM EST on a Tuesday?

:psyduck:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the nhl is doing their red zone-esque simulcast for all 32 teams that day. all games are starting at different times to compensate

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Tuesday is the big “every team plays on the same night” event that they’ve been pushing as a Red Zone thing on ESPN

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

to set up maximum viewers for Connor Bedard in his primetime spot at 830 pm

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The NHL is so loving dumb, I swear.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just want a reasonable amount of hockey every day, not all 32 teams simultaneously ever

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

they just really want the launch of this idea to go well and the best way to do that is to have as many games going at once. then if there's some absolutely dreadful poo poo happening in your prime game of the night or a bunch of games overlapping in being at commercial on the debut of your fancy new thing, you'll have options to keep the audience engaged and not flipping over to the Lakers/Nuggets opener or w/e else is on that night

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm looking forward to it. Going to Caps-Leafs that night and I think it'll be fun to see a game and be home by 9 instead of like 10:30/11 on a week night.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

If they want a weekday night to set up, Tuesday is the best pick since most teams are going to be playing anyways.

Friday would be stupid for TV and would damage Saturday, which would be one of the few things that could get Bettman fired for even suggesting.

Monday is hard because of MNF for half the season and unless you want no games on Sunday, matchups will be limited anyways.

Wednesday is a little awkward since if teams are playing Saturday/Wednesday, Monday's the only day they can get a third game in without guaranteed back to backs and we don't want Monday's as a heavy day.

That leaves Tuesday/Thursday as heavy game days.

As long as HNIC exists, the league is going to work on either a Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday or Monday-Wednesday-Saturday as a "normal" week and the Tuesday week allows for easier Sunday scheduling.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1716131619210240122?t=OvYw7OXtoflqQumb8umzDw&s=19

I only remember this game because Mike Smith made 61 saves or something obscene like that but lost anyway.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1715795271093788802?t=P2W1V3wT5od9nwDReWq9Bw&s=19

:rip:. I'll always remember how you had scored an NHL goal without having scored an NHL goal for like two seasons because your first goal was a playoff goal in the bubble.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well 2-3 isn't great but there's still time this month to turn things around. *checks schedule*

Pens might be 2-5 after this week lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Comrie wasn’t a total screw up for once. Wonder if injuries really all it was last year. And why they bother holding onto UPL any longer

He shut out the Islanders last season 2-0. They can’t waive UPL because they’d lose him for nothing. I don’t know why they haven’t traded him yet, but knowing their luck Comrie or Levi would immediately get hurt if they did.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So apparently the offensive winger the Canucks needed all along was... Phillip Di Giuseppe?

He absolutely owned OEL and Forsling to set up the game winner last night.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Not great that Penguins lost 4-2 against the fuckin Blues.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ginette Reno posted:

Well 2-3 isn't great but there's still time this month to turn things around. *checks schedule*

Pens might be 2-5 after this week lol

Stars have been playing like poo poo this entire loving year and goalieing their way to wins.. also every game goes to OT so even if Jake Oettinger steals another one the Penguins will be 2-4-1.

**I guess this entire year isn't a very good descriptor of 4 games.. but you get what I mean, they've been really bad against the likes of Philadelphia and Anaheim.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/based_shesty/status/1716163143217328161

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

So apparently the offensive winger the Canucks needed all along was... Phillip Di Giuseppe?

He absolutely owned OEL and Forsling to set up the game winner last night.

Turns out having a guy who's actually willing to forecheck on a consistent basis is quite useful.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Starsfan posted:

Stars have been playing like poo poo this entire loving year and goalieing their way to wins.. also every game goes to OT so even if Jake Oettinger steals another one the Penguins will be 2-4-1.

**I guess this entire year isn't a very good descriptor of 4 games.. but you get what I mean, they've been really bad against the likes of Philadelphia and Anaheim.

“The Stars need to work on winning in overtime!”

(they’ve been really bad)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Seeing how well they did in OT last year, they should he fine. Let me just take a sip of water before looking this up...

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man Knies really is an undeniably good find by the Leafs. Like potentially future 2nd line winger good depending on how he develops in an actual season. He definitely has the hockey smarts, but too small a sampling size of games played in the NHL to really gauge what role he should end up with just yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alex DeBrincat is possessed by wraiths and possibly various ghouls and/or spectres.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mike_V posted:

Not great that Penguins lost 4-2 against the fuckin Blues.

The Penguins are officially bad now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Penguins are officially bad now.

Hell yeah.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
And I'm going to us a different post to say why....same exact issues as the last 2-3 years. Depth scoring doesn't exist (the Pens have 0 goals from not the top 6 forward), Jarry is a sub-NHL average goalie, and the system coaching issues of the last 2 years....including oversight of the powerplay/PK still exist. I've loved Sullivan, but he has fallen into extremely conservative fully coached system with no improvisation and the powerplay/PK continues to worsen with player availability and coaching approach. The org has swapped through at least 1 or 2 sets of assistants at this point, but it's clear who they have now seem to be even worse (LOOKING AT YOU TODD. YOU loving SUCK) but Sullivan seems not able to get the huge net positives he used to. I'm not saying Sullivan should be fired...it just looks to be completely the end of the line and (I said this too!) Geno/Letang should have been let to walk and the Pens gotten in the tank.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think it's any more complicated than that the Pens are really, r e a l l y slow. They don't have a forecheck, because they're too slow for that. They can't keep the puck buried in the attacking end for whole shifts--a hallmark of the early Sullivan years--because they're too slow to win races for pucks in the corners. They struggle for periods at a time breaking the puck out, because almost all of the players are too slow to create space. They don't play sound positional defense at all, because the system doesn't call for that. The system relies on raw speed to make up for the times defensemen are caught out of position... but apart from Karlsson, they're all too slow for that. Except POJ, but Sullian is carrying out an ongoing vendetta against him for who knows what reason.

And apart from the Big Five, the team really does not have any skill at all. It's those five guys at the top and then 13 grinders. Most of them slow grinders.

It's good they got Karlsson I guess, because Letang is, regrettably, just about finished. There'll never be another quite like him.

Jarry isn't as bad as the Pens make him look. They give up high danger chance after high danger chance after high danger chance--and this is against a slate of five opponents so far that it would be charitable to call mediocre. But you can see it shooting Jarry's confidence to hell. It's too bad Robin Williams is dead because he needs someone to corner him and say "It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault."

I was wrong about the Pens--even fully healthy, they're not a playoff team. They and the Caps are probably going to finish right where they are now: 7th and 8th in the Metro.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 23, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ryanhanawwp/status/1716229878582755355?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Kubalik, a mid-1st and a player currently in the ECHL seems like a bad return for DeBrincat

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

Kubalik, a mid-1st and a player currently in the ECHL seems like a bad return for DeBrincat

Especially given Ottawa got him for practically nothing from Chicago.

I really do not understand how the Ottawa GM has kept his job for the last 9 or whatever years it is now. He sucks out loud.

e: Just saw that McDavid is injured and out 2-3 weeks. What the hell kind of deal did Edmonton make with the devil when they got him for this kind of stuff to keep happening?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 23, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

actually I'm hopeful he dies

Out one to two weeks, so baby steps

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Interested to see how much people overrate the Red Wings in the near future. Couple big wins lately. Debrincat looked sick today too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Doesn't Pittsburgh always suck the first month or so of the season and then wake up around January and return to their final form for the season?