Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah it was just a nice to have. I did get both volume 1 and 2 in hardcover though.

Alright, that's something at least. At least you don't have to worry about seeing an empty spot where Vol.1 would be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC Lance weapons are a category that include any extremely long range naval weapon and might include las weapons, solid shot, plasma or other esoteric weapons, depending on the ship.

I can't recall a single instance of a lance weapon not being a massive laser beam and both wikis are pretty clear on them being just energy weapons.

Edit: to be clear I'm talking only Imperial tech, other races lances, yeah.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 21, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Can’t believe I have to do this bullshit at least one more time for vol 3. What a stupid system.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Angron going "and then I SHALL BE THE ONE TO STEP FOOT ON TERRA FIRST" half a dozen times only to be told "uh actually" by various people over and over again in a really short span of time and then proceeding to run around the Conqueror bopping heads into mist with Khârn sprinting after him practically going "well this isn't good, nevertheless BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" is maybe the funniest thing in the Heresy.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

There's a free extract for EatD vol 2 on the BL site. Scroll down and there's epub/mobi options next to the summary.

https://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/featured/ebook-the-end-and-the-death-volume-ii-eng-2023.html

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

There's a free extract for EatD vol 2 on the BL site. Scroll down and there's epub/mobi options next to the summary.

https://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/featured/ebook-the-end-and-the-death-volume-ii-eng-2023.html

Ah, sick

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, that's great.

*Hype intensifying*

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Did he do a title drop in the first book as well? I feel like it but I can’t remember exactly.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Did he do a title drop in the first book as well? I feel like it but I can’t remember exactly.

I'm imagining Sanguinius turning to Valdor outside Horus' lair and going "this truly is the Horus Heresy: The Siege of Terra: The End and the Death Volume 2"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Syncopated posted:

Yes

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Syncopated posted:

Over and over. Samus, Malcador, the Emperor himself when he calls out Horus and kicks into high gear, and the Pantheon goes wild, they love to see it folks, and some others in the various Fragment sections I think.

Edit: a quick check shows only five, and two of those are Samus in the prologue, the fifth one being from Oll. I could have sworn there were more. It's not quite to the level of wet leopard-growl I guess.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 22, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
found this old link, its real interesting and cool
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Blackcurrant91/The_Grand_Warhammer_Cosmology.

I think the Emperor is the only human to grasp the skein and higher dimensions, recalling his conversation with Sanguinius about his visions and their outcomes. He wants to own all of the threads and eventualities and drive humanity to an outcome where they get to exit their realm into a safer space like the webway

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 22, 2023

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm actually pretty sure at this point that the big reveal is gonna be that the Emperor never ascended to godhood and that it's actually Malcador's spirit doing all the divine poo poo in the 41st millenium. Every character only starts getting direct guidance and super powers once he's on the throne.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Emperor left the galaxy to pick up some cigarettes for Malcador

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I don’t know if we’re going to get a huge twist that inverts the entire common understanding of the Heresy, but if we do, my guess is the Chaos Gods’ apparent plan to empower Horus to ascend as the Dark King is a fake-out; their real plan is to force the Emperor to become the Dark King, by pushing him to call on all of his Warp powers to fight Horus while in the warp nexus that the Vengeful Spirit has become. Horus is the sacrifice that will lead to the ascension of the Dark King, and that was the intent all along. It doesn’t matter to the Chaos Gods if the Emperor kills Horus, because the Chaos Gods only care that the Dark King comes into existence, they don’t care who it is. And it almost works, but something happens at the last moment (probably involving Ollanius) that allows the Emperor to fight off that ascension. The Golden Throne isn’t just meant to keep the Emperor alive - it’s a trap designed to keep him from transforming the rest of the way into the Dark King.

That could mean that Valdor’s plan in M41 is to somehow prevent the Emperor’s transformation from the other end, maybe attacking the Dark King in the Warp.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t know if we’re going to get a huge twist that inverts the entire common understanding of the Heresy, but if we do, my guess is the Chaos Gods’ apparent plan to empower Horus to ascend as the Dark King is a fake-out; their real plan is to force the Emperor to become the Dark King, by pushing him to call on all of his Warp powers to fight Horus while in the warp nexus that the Vengeful Spirit has become. Horus is the sacrifice that will lead to the ascension of the Dark King, and that was the intent all along. It doesn’t matter to the Chaos Gods if the Emperor kills Horus, because the Chaos Gods only care that the Dark King comes into existence, they don’t care who it is. And it almost works, but something happens at the last moment (probably involving Ollanius) that allows the Emperor to fight off that ascension. The Golden Throne isn’t just meant to keep the Emperor alive - it’s a trap designed to keep him from transforming the rest of the way into the Dark King.

That could mean that Valdor’s plan in M41 is to somehow prevent the Emperor’s transformation from the other end, maybe attacking the Dark King in the Warp.

I feel like this is almost text at this point, there's a reason TEaTD 1 includes a scene where a Age Of Strife warlord starts with the best intentions and ends up with human sacrifice to fuel his power because guess what

EDIT: actually it might be Saturnine that has that scene but the point stands
EDIT 2: it's Master of Mankind and here's the relevant passage:

Aaron Dembski-Bowden: Master of Mankind posted:

‘I met him long before he was the priest-king,’ the Emperor said. ‘He began as a holy man, a mendicant preacher wandering the northern wastes, gathering untainted food and purified water, giving it freely to those in need. He claimed it was his calling, and that his god lived in his kindness. It was a calling, of course. A call that was answered by the beings of the immaterium. They gave him the power to feed his beleaguered tribe and heal their ills, and his clan grew. When savage winters ate away at the other tribes, his clan sheltered beneath the protection of his power. He kept them fed, protected and unseen from the eyes of their hunting foes. Soon, hundreds of men and women were huddling for warmth within his mercy, and offered their thanks to the god that he believed he served. Yet each miracle took more effort, Ra. More sacrifice. The end always justified the means. First the conundrums were moral in nature. What does it matter if another clan starves, if it allows his tribe to survive? Soon enough the rituals grew more occult in order to achieve their ends. What is the murder of a rival, if that death guarantees another ten years of peace? What is the life of one child, if the offer of its bloody, beating heart will ensure a monarch’s immortality? Do you see?’

Ra saw. Just as he had seen the monuments to massacre in the pict archives, from the fall of Maulland Sen.

‘The warp rarely makes itself known in manifest form. The damnation flooding the webway is the crescendo of its siren song. Its immensity and physicality is what makes the threat so unprecedented. Far more often, the warp seethes behind the veil, it curdles thoughts inside a skull, it inks the blood in men and women’s veins. And that is enough. More than enough. It brings us to moments like these, in the company of ambitious, faithful men, too proud to see their own deception.’

Ra stared down at the kneeling, bleeding priest-king. Gone were the gene-abominations and witchcraftmarked men in their thousands that had formed his ragged armies. He was alone, moments from breathing his last. Soon his sick blood would taint the Emperor’s blade.

‘Think of this man’s clan,’ continued the Emperor. ‘As a holy man he had begun with offers of food and the promise of survival. Sensing his susceptibility, the warp darkened around the candle flame of his life’s light. He prayed, and the warp answered. Soon his people were too numerous to hide. Other tribes came for his clan’s riches. This man, this revered holy lord, led his people to the machines of the Old Ages, cloning and replicating and geneforging flawed warriors to wage war for territory. The clan branded their own flesh and ran to war alongside these genetic brutes, crying up to the sky for the same power their overlord enjoyed. And how far they had fallen. Committing any act in the belief of their own righteousness. All from superstition. All from ignorance. All because one charismatic man believed that the powers that heeded his calls could be trusted. By the time he realised they could not, he believed himself powerful enough to control them, independent enough to resist them. What harm in one more gift, if it allowed his clan to thrive? What harm in one more sacrifice, if it ensured a strong harvest or victory in a coming war? And when it came time to die, what would this powerful, independent man do? Would he go silently into the ground? Would he slumber upon a funeral pyre? Or would he – for the good of his people – reach for longer life at any cost?’

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 22, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/22/sunday-preview-the-cities-of-sigmar-muster/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Hold onto ya butts, cause here comes the motherload in book pre-orders. Including a new one I don't think they even announced ahead of time.

First we have Blacktalon by Liane Merciel.

quote:

Five powerful champions of Chaos have discovered the existence of a long-buried weapon with incredible destructive power, and their plans to uncover it threaten the Mortal Realms. It is up to Neave Blacktalon and her hand-picked team of Stormcast Eternals to hunt them down.

Honestly not sure if they announced this or not, maybe I missed in the Blacktalon model announcement. Will be available in Hardback, ebook and audiobook as per usual.

Da Red Gobbo Rides Again by Rhuairidh James.

Everyone's favourite goblin communist turned capitalism spokesperson is back again in another adventure.

quote:

Beloved by gretchin everywhere, Da Red Gobbo is a symbol of revolution and freedom from the brutish tyranny of the orks. When the grots of a Blood Axe encampment fall into a malaise, the painboy Stimma realises that only the promise of Da Red Gobbo can stir them from their deep depression… and sets about creating his own using science, cunning, and some good, old-fashioned ork violence.

Available in ebook and hardback.

Galaxy of Horrors is an anthology featuring 15 stories by Denny Flowers, Victoria Hayward, Mike Brooks, Danie Ware, and Robert Rath among others.

Available in paperback or ebook.

Untamed Realms is the AoS equivalent, featuring 10 different stories by Richard Strachan, Chris Thursten, Noah Van Nguyen, David Guymer and others.

Available in paperback and ebook as well.

Then we have a trio of other AoS books finally getting their paperback releases. Namely Godeater’s Son, The Vulture Lord, and Bad Loon Rising by Noah Van Nguyen, Richard Strachan and Andy Clark.

Lastly we have an audiobook release of Nathan Long's Elfslayer.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
The Warhammer Horror imprint seems to have dried up hasn't it? They never announced an official shuttering of it did they?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So what do we reckon the Vol.3 LE cover emblem is gonna be? The Luna Wolves emblem? The post-heresy aquila? A lodge coin?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

So what do we reckon the Vol.3 LE cover emblem is gonna be? The Luna Wolves emblem? The post-heresy aquila? A lodge coin?

It was released already wasn't it? Horus Vs The Emperor

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That’s the hardcover. The LEs have a small metal symbol on their covers.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, palatine aquila for vol. 1, eye of Horus for vol. 2, and various symbols for Siege 1-6.

Maybe it's just gonna be the eight pointed star. That's depressing enough.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ok, so I want to make sure I can get a physical copy of that gobbo rides again book. What do I need to do exactly? The black library system for this all has always stumped me. Do I need to check online at 5 minutes before the hour some time and day next weekend? Do I go to the GW site or the Black Library site?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Ok, so I want to make sure I can get a physical copy of that gobbo rides again book. What do I need to do exactly? The black library system for this all has always stumped me. Do I need to check online at 5 minutes before the hour some time and day next weekend? Do I go to the GW site or the Black Library site?

I think you'll be fine for a regular hardback in terms of timing, but hell, this might help someone:
  • This is the page to watch. Make sure you change the country from Norway, med mindre du også bor her.
  • Make sure you have a GW account, add your adress, add a product to your basket and proceed to the payment details phase. After entering your details, back out. Your details will be saved.
  • Load up the site fifteen minutes before 10AM (PST for NA, UK time for Europe and western Australia for AU) on Saturday. I've heard firefox is a little better than chrome. I use firefox.
  • Start refreshing ten minutes before to be safe. When the book shows up, add to cart and proceed with payment. If everything slows down to a crawl, don't refresh. That's risky when the site is working on forms and credentials and whatever.
  • If you really wanna be safe, load up the site on several devices. If one gets stuck loading, try with another one.
edit: you can also do what I did and rope your friends into helping.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I am totally on board for this theory. There is a very strong textual hint in volume 1. Here is my post about it from earlier this year:

The whole book The Dark King is chanted by demons, appears as writings on walls all over the palace, and shows up in visions. It is strongly implied to be Horus or possibly Samus until we get to the end. Then we get this text:

Sinderman and Loken end up, through what we assume is Malcador's psychic urging, in the Leng library and eventually in the most restricted and secretive collection dubbed the 888 collection of the Emperor's personal books on chaos. They are randomly pulling books and opening passages hoping to find info that can help the fight. And we get this:

quote:

Then crowned in his stead, the Dark King.
Startled, he feels a shiver. He puts the book back quickly and selects another.
One that is once born immortal is born again as a king of All Darkness.
He’s starting to panic. The random incidence of the phrase is uncanny. It’s what he hoped might happen, but now it’s actually happening, it scares him. He pulls another book, bound in shagreen, opens it on an unpremeditated page, and reads:
The black shell cracks, thus he ascends, in the timeless time, and is elevated to the gods, to reign as a dark-crowned king.

That passage is the end of a chapter and immediately on the next page we get a final Horus POV of him describing what he is watching the emperor do and we get this:

quote:

You had Him encased in a stifling, muffling, sense-depriving shell of pure, black immaterial force, but He has cracked that open, and now He burns a path towards you.

Finally, we get the conversation in the throne room between Vulcan and the perpetual where they discuss what The Dark King means:

quote:

Lord,’ says Actae, with some reluctance, ‘the Dark King is… it is the name first written in the time before man, and repeated ever since, unbidden, by the prophets of all species. It is a name symbolising the rising god to come.’
‘There are no gods!’ scoffs Raja.
‘You’re a fool,’ Actae tells him. ‘Before the fall of the aeldari, there was no fourth power of Chaos. The gods of Chaos breed and multiply, propagating like storms through the empyrean. They are born in turn, though they have all existed forever. Time has no meaning for them. The fall of the aeldari did not cause the birth of She Who Thirsts, merely her occurrence. So too with all other gods, be they foul entities of Chaos, or divine forces of sentient power.’
‘She Who Thirsts was born out of the death of an entire sentient culture,’ says John.
‘Such is the inevitable fate of all advanced, psychic species,’ says Actae. ‘And the Dark King is our fate. This war, my lord, is not one of loyalists against traitors. It is not about the conquest of Terra and mankind by Chaos. It is certainly not about a son at war with his father. This is the Triumph of Ruin. Horus and the Emperor have taken their conflict to such a pitch, that we are about to suffer the same fate as the cursed aeldari. The human race will die in birth-fire, consumed by blood-rage, pestilence, violent transmutation and blind desire. And from the grave-pyre of our civilisation, the broken galaxy will see Horus rising, absolute and complete, as a new, true and terrible god.’

So The Dark King is about the rise of a 5th god. Actae and others believe it to be Horus but we get the text "crowned in his stead". That in his victory he will rise as a 5th god of chaos, but look at those first two excerpts. They mirror each other exactly and are only a page or two apart. The prophecy in the books says he cracks a dark shell and ascends and then immediately after Horus speaks of encasing the emperor in a black shell he cracks and then ascends to fight him.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

D-Pad posted:

I am totally on board for this theory. There is a very strong textual hint in volume 1. Here is my post about it from earlier this year:

I agree with everything you said, but there's another piece of evidence you didn't cite that supports it even more blatantly than the ones you did: the Emperor takes the gloves off, drops the book title, and the Pantheon goes hog wild, hooting and hollering in glee. Horus thinks he's going to be the Dark King but he's very clearly just a disposable pawn and the real target of Chaos' planning is the Emperor. There's nothing subtle about it, Abnett all but states it outright to the reader.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Going back to Cawl, I'm a bit confused as to his character. Or at least Haley's understanding of his character. Going back to The Great Work, also by Haley, Cawl is shown as kind of a whimsical, playful guy, who thinks of himself as a kindly uncle to the Primaris. But we see that:

Space Marine Someguy in Great Work hates him, having experienced his transformation as 10,000 years of stasis with Cawl periodically freezing him out to torture him now and again.
Friedisch hates being revived over and over and just wants to die, but Cawl thinks of him as his best friend. (And frankly, Cawl kind of patronized him when he was alive, too)
Alpha Primus is in constant physical and spiritual pain and Cawl keeps brushing him off and saying it's psychosomatic.
Guilliman Inferior thinks its own existence is a horrible blasphemy

So, his creations resent him, or their own existence, or both. But he thinks they all love him. Normally I'd say this was the character being wrong, but the narrative voice seems to LIKE Cawl and generally find him lighthearted and amusing. He has the most 'modern' attitude to science in the setting, and is aligned with what is as close to the 'good guys' as we get in 40k.

(We could also make a point as to his contrast with Bile in Genefather, but Bile's character is pretty close to the Reynolds trilogy, which was written before Belisarius Cawl was thought of, so I don't think the thematic parallels can be too strong there)

So is Haley doing something subtle and clever? Or has he not noticed that the character he's drawing is kind of monstrous? Or does he think that their complaints aren't important? If he does, why does he spend all that time on how much pain they're in? What do y'all think?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
He's written basically how Arkhan Land is written in that he is undoubtedly very good at certain things and an absolute monster/idiot in other ways and this should be obvious to the viewer despite being written otherwise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I think Cawl being a jovial abomination that doesn't understand how horrific people find him is on purpose

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

See also : Nurgle worshippers

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah I think Cawl being a jovial abomination that doesn't understand how horrific people find him is on purpose

Just need a reference where he tells one of his creations to get into and pilot a big purple and neon green robot.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Black Griffon posted:

I think you'll be fine for a regular hardback in terms of timing, but hell, this might help someone:
  • This is the page to watch. Make sure you change the country from Norway, med mindre du også bor her.
  • Make sure you have a GW account, add your adress, add a product to your basket and proceed to the payment details phase. After entering your details, back out. Your details will be saved.
  • Load up the site fifteen minutes before 10AM (PST for NA, UK time for Europe and western Australia for AU) on Saturday. I've heard firefox is a little better than chrome. I use firefox.
  • Start refreshing ten minutes before to be safe. When the book shows up, add to cart and proceed with payment. If everything slows down to a crawl, don't refresh. That's risky when the site is working on forms and credentials and whatever.
  • If you really wanna be safe, load up the site on several devices. If one gets stuck loading, try with another one.
edit: you can also do what I did and rope your friends into helping.

Thanks for this! I'll give it ago this weekend. Hopefully its low stakes for this particular book as you suggest so also low risk on me not getting it. I am on EST so I guess I'll log on 12:45pm and hope for the best. If I have the time wrong please correct me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Telsa Cola posted:

See also : Nurgle worshippers

yeah but nurgle fixes that by making most of his followers happy AND also apathetic or uncaring. they have enough free will to sorta realize what they are but then either apathy or mania hits. i like that the only one who wants to do poo poo and is nurgles abbadon is basicly just just space marine oogie boogie.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I haven't missed a single LE in over 3 years. Here is the definitive guide (for the US):

- Sometime before drop go find the book you want on the NZ/Aus or UK Games Workshop site. Copy the URL and change the country code to "en-US". Now you have the exact URL it will be loading on so you can immediately add to cart and beat the rubes that refresh the main page. If there is more than one book releasing you want then you want to go to the Black Library page (on the GW site) and select "Pre-Orders" on the filter and refresh that page.

- The morning of make sure you are logged into your account. Make sure your default payment is setup and use a method that isn't going to send you an auth code.

- New stuff always drops at exactly 12:55pm EST. The only time you need to worry about getting on earlier is if there is going to be a queue*. They only turn the queue on when there is a really big tabletop release like a new edition or a super popular box release. For example, they didn't turn it on Saturday despite how popular the books are, but they did turn it on for the last book when it was releasing simultaneously with the new edition or maybe a popular boxset I don't remember exactly.

- At exactly 12:55pm EST hit refresh. Add to cart then go to checkout and hit the order button. If any steps are taking time to load you don't want to refresh that window**

*You can defeat their queue system in Chrome without any addons or anything. Each profile will give you a unique queue position. I am not talking about only a separate window, you go to the profile button in the top right (your google account photo to the left of the three dots) and open a new profile in a new window. I typically open 5-6 different windows/profiles and do all the steps above. Usually at least one of them will give you a front of the line queue position but you can open as many as you want to improve your chances. I also always do one on my phone not connected to Wi-Fi so I'm coming at it from a different connection.

**If the site is really getting slammed there are some extra steps you take. Usually this only happens when there is a queue and something very popular for the tabletop is releasing and only happens maybe one release a year. In this situation you will have things time out or give errors. What you want to do is have multiple tabs open per profile so you can try each step multiple times per profile. So for example I've got multiple tabs open on each profile so when it gets through the queue I've got 3-4 tabs all trying to load the page so maybe 3 time out and the 4th works. Then once one of the tabs successfully adds to cart and you go to checkout you want to copy that checkout URL into each tab so you've got 3-4 tabs trying to go to checkout hoping one of them loads. You don't refresh a tab until it times out but you are getting more attempts with each tab.

I've never missed an LE using these methods. Please don't go post this on reddit or something and keep it in house with goons.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I posted it in on Quora, it's safe.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but nurgle fixes that by making most of his followers happy AND also apathetic or uncaring. they have enough free will to sorta realize what they are but then either apathy or mania hits. i like that the only one who wants to do poo poo and is nurgles abbadon is basicly just just space marine oogie boogie.

It's not really apathy, it's really presented more as existential dread and the belief that nothing can ever get better.

It's the view of someone in crushing poverty or in horrible circumstances, who has been in that lovely situation for their entire life, whose friends and family is all in the same situation, and who sees no hope of escape or of a better life.

And that's absolutely not a good place to be, or a good "fix".

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 23, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Nurgle's relationship with their followers is fundamentally abusive though in a much subtler way than the other gods. Nurgle inhabits the archetype of the abusive parental figure but upscaled all the way to a universe spanning god.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Telsa Cola posted:

It's not really apathy, it's really presented more as existential dread and the belief that nothing can ever get better.

It's the view of someone in crushing poverty or in horrible circumstances, who has been in that lovely situation for their entire life, whose friends and family is all in the same situation, and who sees no hope of escape or of a better life.

And that's absolutely not a good place to be, or a good "fix".

so nurgle makes you a doom poster virus.

AnEdgelord posted:

Nurgle's relationship with their followers is fundamentally abusive though in a much subtler way than the other gods. Nurgle inhabits the archetype of the abusive parental figure but upscaled all the way to a universe spanning god.

yeah, khorne doesnt care and slanessh is just empty hedonism or excessive passon with out passion. tzeech i think just views everything as long game and everyone is transactional. Nurgle loves you(and maybe he really thinks he does sorta) but he is a gaslighting abuser

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Horus almost literally goes "ah, finally, I can stop pretending to be a moron" and then powers up. He knows what he's doing.

It's a fun scene after so much dementia Horus leading up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Finished Genefather and it was aggressively OK.

I think Haley may not be a good writer, but even he could have turned it into a good book if he only had spent an extra month polishing it up a little. Cut out half of the side characters with zero personality and flesh out the other half. Give the non-Cawl magos a bit of agency, instead of having them be a glorified background choir.

And spend some time on the big pivotal conversations so you're actually coming up with some ideas, instead of just publishing the first draft. It is no spoiler that Bile and Cawl interact - it's on the cover - and their conversation is so terribly predictable, a decent fanfiction writer would have produced 95% of the same beats. Same for two other big arguments Cawl has with other characters. It's not quite Last Church level of banal, but it's close.

Haley does better when it comes to Cawl's interactions with his entourage, but the fact that he explicitly equips and unequips personality traits like items in a RPG is the biggest own goal I've ever seen a sci-fi writer commit. How can you possibly introduce any pathos when the protagonist starts every conversation with "btw, I've got my Affable/Confident/Diplomatic gear equipped so I can only express those 3 emotions for the rest of the scene no matter what happens".

But I will say this: there was nothing really bad in it. His Bile may be uninspired and we may miss his crew from 3000 years ago, but Haley clearly respects Reynolds's work and does not stray out of character. Even though we get plain lines like "As for you, our goals are the same, though you do not admit it" instead of "You are nothing but a dream, Father. One all the galaxy will soon awaken from."