Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
4 and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Remalle posted:

This wreck is not old at all. It was adapted in order to glide over the ice by the addition of skates, and it smashed itself against the rocks.

This sailing boat was adapted to move over the ice on skates. It must have been insanely fast, judging by the damage it suffered in the crash. We can only dismantle it for materials, which is a real pity.

Honestly I love the idea of a sailing boat on skates. Is it realistic? I have no idea, but it sounds rad as hell.
Iceboats are a real thing, especially in the Scandinavian countries. They can range from one person sail-board size rigs to people attaching their normal boats to special frames. I don't know how big they can get past that, though. Looks cool as hell though.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Remalle posted:

This sailing boat was adapted to move over the ice on skates. It must have been insanely fast, judging by the damage it suffered in the crash. We can only dismantle it for materials, which is a real pity.[/i]

Honestly I love the idea of a sailing boat on skates. Is it realistic? I have no idea, but it sounds rad as hell.
Sometimes it has been tried, with various degrees of success:
https://www.hrmm.org/history-blog/category/ice/2

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/28/147574826/sailing-on-ice-yeah-thats-a-sport

Remalle posted:

Two new options today! Note the revised numbering.
Since wood and steel production are so powerful now, please vote for two options from now on.
Option 1: Fairly small area with lots of wood for a sawmill and access to a further island.
Option 2: Wood for a sawmill. Extremely limited space, bridge spot to a further island.
Option 3: Smallish area, with three resource piles (wood, steel, steam cores).
Option 4: Four resource piles (coal x4). Fairly large space. Two bridges.
Option 5: Just a coal mine spot that doesn't have a lot of room for much else.
Option 6: Two resource piles (wood and steam cores). Very small area.

How will we next expand the city?

4 and 5: We have built the sawmill, it's time to use it

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Endless Mode: Part Seven

For the first ever double vote, everybody went for 4 and 5! Also thanks for letting me know about real iceboats, they are indeed rad as hell.

I start with five, both because it got an extra vote and also because I wanted to.

A small shack, poorly put together from broken up crates. There's nobody here, but we might find some supplies.

We searched the place, finding a decent amount of resources and a row of graves behind the shack.

Exploration happens in the meantime.

The snow covering the crates is deep, but we're sure there are some valuable supplies buried down there.

Under the snow we uncovered many crates full of supplies. There's no telling who might have left them here.

Isn't this a repeat? I could have sworn we've seen this one before but I couldn't find it in previous pages.

A dark form stands out starkly among the white expanse: a sled stuck upright in the snow. Maybe it marks a cache?

And another sled, similar to but legally distinct from the last one.

A huge Victoria-class dreadnought, uncovered from the snow by the wind.

Captain, the lookouts have reported another sighting of a Victoria-class dreadnought wreckage, buried deep in the ice. Should you see fit, we can send scouts to search for more old-world relics among the debris.

Most importantly, another Dreadnought has been sighted. Every time one gets discovered we get this same popup.

Ok, the bridge is finally done and advanced coal mines researched. I managed to have every upgrade for coal mines researched before we ever had a place to put one!

And then more exploration. These are all repeats. From now on I'll be skipping these, just like the non-descript landmarks.

The sled has tumbled into a fissure concealed by an ice bridge. Peering over the edge, we can see other sleds, scattered cargo and several frozen bodies.

This sled was the last one in a column. All the others fell into the fissure. When we climbed to the bottom to recover the supplies, we discovered that not all the drivers died from the fall. Some bodies are lying side by side in sleeping bags.

This gives me Dyatlov Pass vibes, a bit.

Another Dreadnought!

Just like before, we don't have the resources to spare to make the search safe. Fortunately the scouts survive again.

Our first coal mine is complete! The heat level is turned up in celebration.

Our scouts took the time and effort to explore the wreck safely.

For the next Dreadnought the resource requirements were low enough that I could afford them (100 wood, 50 steel). Both scout teams head back to Chillville.

Nothing important to say here; I just like how this corner of the city is turning out.

The Practical Prosthesis
The first working prototype of the modern arm prosthesis with notes on its design by the inventors, Eleanor Owens MRCS and Francis Baker FRS.

Function above form
We are greatly indebted to the late Mr. Henry Heather Bigg, particularly for his seminal book "On artificial limbs, their construction and application" published by the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Building upon his work, we were able to restore to the patient most of the lost functionality, including not only the action of the elbow joint but also that of the wrist in its several motions of pronation, supination, and rotation. The appearance, as can be seen in the drawing above, was deemed secondary.
The motion of the artificial limb is assured by small motors, which use the motive power of the Lamp device, or, when the Lamp is removed, of internal springs that can be wound by locking the elbow joint and bending it repeatedly, for example by leaning on it.

Have you ever wondered how those ubiquitous prostheses work? Well, now you know! I haven't talked about the Lamp at all, by the way; it gets explained more in another Relic, but it's basically a small personal heater that every citizen has which is what lets them move around out in the cold.

The First Flying Hunter
A fragment of Mr Erasmus Quain's diary, describing his experience as a member of a hunting party. Most of the pages were damaged and unreadable.

The Peculiarities of Hunting in Frostland
The first thing we learned was that the barrels of rifles carried the usual way become jammed with fine, windborne powder. The second - that when carried muzzle down, rifles get stuck into the snow whenever we stumble or sink to the knees. Thereafter, an old sock put on the business end of the barrel was the preferred solution, although when the picture above was being taken I had removed the sock to preserve my image as a fearless explorer.
We soon discovered that hunting in Frostland is an activity very unlike our favorite pasttime back in England. Although the game is not skittish, it is so scarce that to bag anything at all, one has to search for hours upon hours, wading in knee deep snow. This drove us to attempt the first, and the last so far, airborne assisted hunt in Frostland. I volunteered, being the adventurous sort (rumours about the existence of a bet are entirely fanciful). We fashioned a string of sturdy kites and soon I found myself dangling from it like a hare in eagle's talons, staring at the faces of my friends looking up at me, their poorly concealed concern rapidly rising in direct proportion to my altitude. Whipped around by the icy wind, I tried to look for prey while at the same time not looking down, a feat which I found quite impossible.
Upon my happy return to terra firma, I let my friends know in no uncertain terms that while the idea had promise, we are going to need a more stable platform for it to work, and also another volunteer. Until both can be secured, we'll have to rely more on lowly traps and less on our rifles.

This doesn't do as much to explain what's going on with the flying hunters' airships, but it is a fun bit of worldbuilding!

This island has finished exploiting its natural resources, so it will be converted to food production (not that we really need it).

Speaking of islands, it's time to connect a new one!

A rusty shack. Nothing more can be seen from this distance.

But before that, Frostland.

Ok, Frostland interlude is over. A couple of gathering posts will get to work clearing this island of coal deposits, before we set up some coal thumpers here and create new deposits. That's my current plan, anyway.

The advanced wall drill sticks out over the chasm to an even more impressive degree than before! I hope that cart has good brakes.

Hothouse Island is live!

The shack is falling apart, but its contents still have some value to us.

Searching the shack, we found plenty of valuable supplies.

The supplies we get from scouting aren't worth a lot any more, aside from steam cores and survivors. It's really Relics that I'm watching out for now.

Speak of the devil!

Incredibly, we can see an automaton standing still amidst the whiteness.

The automaton seems to have suffered a serious malfunction. We might be able to salvage something from it at least.

This automaton carried some cargo with it, but nothing that would allow us to fix it. We had to partially dismantle it to get to the valuable parts.

I was really hoping this would be a free working automaton! Four steam cores is good too.

Another Dreadnought explored safely.

And the Generator is no longer guzzling extra Coal.

Inspired by our find in Frostland, our engineers have created an Automaton of our own! Actually, I've just been waiting to research all of the techs that make them cheaper to build before starting to build any.

The automaton gets sent to the coal mine for now, though I'll probably change my mind and put it on steel next time. Can't do that now, though, because it's time for another vote!

Pick two!
Option 1: Fairly small area with lots of wood for a sawmill and access to a further island.
Option 2: Wood for a sawmill. Extremely limited space, bridge spot to a further island.
Option 3: Smallish area, with three resource piles (wood, steel, steam cores).
Option 4: Two resource piles (wood and steam cores). Very small area.
Option 5: Small area, lots of lumber for a sawmill.
Option 6: Small area, coal mine, two resource piles (coal x2).

How will we next expand the city?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
3 and 6

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think on the lowest difficulty or serenity, the hazard clears with a few days before the storm rolls in to give you time to rebuild if you had a bad round of one.

On the high difficulty settings? I HOPE YOU LIKE IT INTO THE STORM BABY

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
3 and 6. WE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 22, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

1 and 6.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

4 and 6. Get more steam cores and coal access.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Option 1 and option 6, we require more mine slots.

Can you not actually make your own steam cores from all the engineers and steel you have lying about?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

SIGSEGV posted:

Can you not actually make your own steam cores from all the engineers and steel you have lying about?
Nope. You're supposed to only ever have a limited supply of them (Endless mode notwithstanding).

Currently sitting at five votes for Option 6 with a tie for second place between 3 and 1. If it stays tied I'll see how doing three in one update feels.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

4 and 6

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

You just had to make it a three way tie for second place, didn't you

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

GrandTheftAutism posted:

3 and 6. WE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Endless Mode: Part Eight

Option 6 won the vote by a landslide (or an avalanche?), with a bunch of others tied in second place. My solution? Just do them all, of course!

Starting with 6, though. Look at how satisfyingly straight that road between bridges is!

Something really precious, you say? I can't wait to see what it...

St. Edward's Crown
The most important of the Crown Jewels, this XVII century crown was used in coronations of English and British monarchs starting with Charles II. It was found in a steel safe with a note from, presumably, the last Master of the Jewel Office.

The last of the Queen's jewels
James, I have already used my connections to secure the other jewels, but you are the only man I know I can trust with this. Now that almost every single piece of the Queen's most prized collections has been auctioned away to fund the expeditions, the Exchequer is starting to mention the unthinkable. The Crown Jewels must not be sold! If I have to steal them in order to save them, so be it.

...eh, put it back.

Our new island gets an advanced coal mine and a gathering post. Far more valuable.

It looks like one of the cargo haulers. We should check it out.

For every new point of interest I show you in this update, imagine that there are three landmarks or repeats that I'm skipping. Anyway, our automaton production continues, and the engineers roll out our second, which is called...

...huh. Well anyway, the automaton production is continuing.

Crates and pieces of scorched metal lie around the wreck. It seems like there was an explosion aboard.

We found plenty of steel and coal in and around the wreck - like someone was trying to move the supplies but gave up eventually.

I know I said that scouting yields are getting less and less valuable but this is still a decent haul for one site!

A large cabin nested over a sheltered cove.

A vehicle wrecked by an explosion. There are parts scattered around it.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder what the percentage is of vehicles that haven't exploded in this game. That whalers' cabin is situated almost at the very edge of the map, by the way; I had to check the storm wouldn't suddenly appear on the horizon and take the scouts by surprise.

This used to be a large snowcat. Its steam turbine must have exploded, turning it into a heap of junk.

We found some supplies inside the wreck. We'll surely find a good use for them.

That good use is almost certainly going to be "automaton," in case you're wondering.

We can see a lonely light on the horizon. There might be survivors there!

There are 659 people in Chillville. I can guarantee there will be no survivors anywhere.

See, look at how nicely the city is developing! I recently added a full set of large resource depots, and coal is already maxing out again even with the Generator running at the highest heat level.

The cabin is built from driftwood and roofed with sailcloth. There are over a dozen bunks inside.

The whalers living in this cabin were hunting seals and walruses. The hunting must have been good; we found plenty of bones and tusks. Unfortunately they took all the meat when they left.

I was picturing a bunch of whalers cutting big holes in the ice to pull up whales out of, but then I found out they weren't even hunting whales in the first place! I feel cheated.

Another bridge is put up, and a sawmill placed. I don't think there's a way to place a sawmill on this island without destroying some of the trees.

Then another bridge is placed, to some resource piles. I told you I would do all of the second place options.

The light led us to a camp, but we found no survivors, just bodies lying everywhere. What has happened here?

Most of the victims died violently - some still locked in a deadly struggle. The supplies are intact, and the light is powered by a wind generator. These people were obviously well prepared. This is truly bizarre.

More explicit Dyatlov Pass reference here, I think.

Another bridge is designated. Fully upgraded automatons are absurdly powerful.

My goal once all the bridges are up is to have the entire city automated. Our people won't just survive here, but thrive! Maybe I'll get the workshops to research a cinema.

And before anybody's even started work on that latest bridge we already have enough resources to build another one. This snowballed fast.

From here on out I'll be aiming to build all of the remaining bridges and automate the entire city. That should all be next update; no need for a vote. At that point I'll figure out a way to show off whatever Relics remain to be seen, and then after that we'll move on to the next scenario. See you soon!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Why is your hope so low?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Philippe posted:

Why is your hope so low?
I'm a millennial

Also I never chose a purpose (because of the aforementioned being a millennial). Faith and order do a ton for hope in this game, it turns out!

Remalle fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 23, 2023

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Low hope is just kind of a thing in endless. It takes a huge dip every time there's a storm on the horizon, and though it recovers over time, there's not really any way to keep it high. I did the "survive 100 days on endless extreme" achievement and it cratered to 0 before every storm, but even then it recovered well before a game over was imminent.

The good thing is that there's no benefit to having 90% hope over having 10%, so as long as you can keep your people alive, you can safely ignore your hope level.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So Chillville is chill enough that you don't need to pass many laws at all, then?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Protip: Make your society a theocratic/totalitarian hellhole and never worry about hope again!

I mean, what's to worry about? That there'll be a "we crossed the line" admonishment at scenario's end? This is endless mode. Accountability is indefinitely deferred! :toot:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I know it’s not the point of the game, but I always wonder how they cook the standard rations. We know soup/sawdust/corpses make up the ‘we have no food’ rations, but that leaves a lot of possible ideas for the real stuff.

There’s always plenty of water as long as there’s fuel. We know they have access to inexplicably fast-growing veggies, presumably including potatoes or grain since they have moonshine. Scouts and hunters bring in a mix of old world rations, fish, and small game (and occasional bears) for meat. We also know they’re old timey British people. So the obvious answer is a lot of stew and pottage/potage/succotash type dishes. I imagine that long term settlements will probably need some variety, though, so what else? They have ovens, so meat pie and pasties, for in the field?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Endless Mode: Part Nine

Alright, let's end this mode.

The bridges are all getting built this update, in a semi-random order. I chose this one first purely because it was the only remaining choice that didn't lead to another one. There's a wall drill location here, the symbol just faded too much to see in this screenshot.

We can see some kind of facility, perhaps a sawmill. It looks abandoned.

I think this one is a repeat, but from another scenario.

The bridge they hadn't started building yet at the end of last update is completed, and gets its very own gathering post to commemorate the event. This area is the one that sometimes spawns a unique map feature, but we weren't lucky enough to see it this time.

You know you've made it when even your automation is automated!

This bridge leads to the second spot on the map that can support a steelworks. Would've been nice to get here about seven updates ago, but it does speed up the endgame now.

Sir, an engineer is here to see you. He has a letter to you from his team.
"My workers asked me to deliver this. They're plain people, so it reads like bad poetry, but here's the gist of it: they want to thank you, sir. The sight of this automaton working tirelessly in the inhuman cold, where previously they toiled and suffered, is something worth living for.

Pictured: the last time these ungrateful bastards will thank me for making their jobs redundant with AI.

It's beautiful...

That means another bridge goes up in no time. This one's just a whole lot of millable wood.

More bridges for the bridge god! The first is a third coal mine, while the second has two steam core deposits.

This area here is the last to get automated, just because it took me a second longer to decide which gathering posts would get an automaton assigned first.

Steam cores for the steam core throne! Each deposit has two, so four cores to be extracted total. Three go towards building that coal mine, then the last one will eventually become our last automaton.

The sudden weather change has overwhelmed the environmental controls of our hothouses. As a result, the roots of the plants have rotted. Until they regrow, the hothouses will work at only 10% efficiency.

Of course this would happen immediately after I shuttered all my hunter's hangars. Fortunately my automatons are so efficient that they can work up to eleven percent efficiency.

You thought I was kidding?

An island of dark rock stands alone amid a river of cracked ice.

"Nunatak" is a Greenlandic word referring to the exposed stone of a mountain poking out above the surrounding snow and ice. Apparently it's been known to English speakers since the 1870s, so its usage here isn't actually an anachronism like I initially assumed. Who said this game isn't educational?

This is the very last technology there is to research here in Chillville (it would have been a Generator Range Upgrade, I just missed this one before researching those ones). With this, our engineers can retire.

I leave the workshops standing, because I don't feel like thinking of something to take their place. They're all emptied, though. Every other facility which requires engineers (infirmaries and the factory) now has an automaton instead.

As we climb the nunatak, we notice a pair of crossed skis planted at the top of a small pile of stones.

After removing some rocks we discovered a small cache of supplies. It is highly improbable that their owner will be back, so we'll take them with us.

Yeah, we've survived three storms so far. There's nobody left alive out here to complain.

Final coal mine is under construction on the final island, but also check out those quests! All three of our scouts are on their way to pick up Relics at once.

In case you ever wondered what the supply cap for prostheses is, it's 100.

On Bunkhouses
A fragment of a Royal Society member's diary where she's reminiscing on her work in the Arctic Housing Committee, reviewing designs of modern and efficient Arctic housing.

Home is where the heat is.
Snow huts were deemed beneath the dignity of the English people, and they were also impractical, as they tended to melt in the liveable temperatures. The chair was pushing his "London house," designed to remind the people of the streets of our capital, but I knew that they wouldn't have the means to build the kind of housing Sir Edmund considered adequate.
A much more practical, if ugly, sheet metal hut designed by Jenkins also brought London to mind, just its less fancy districts. I added more insulation and dropped the triple bunks at the advice of admiral McClintock, whose people built snow huts to escape the confines of their ship during their wintering in the Arctic.
Then I forged Sir Edmund's signature and the Bunkhouse was born.

I'm not sure who Sir Edmund refers to here, but the other two names of course refer to Francis McClintock and Leeroy Jenkins.

All day long these people complain about their jobs. There's literally only like thirty of you left that even have to work. Maybe I should get the researchers looking into recreational opioids or something.

On Secret Mission
An assignment order for Lieutenant Edward Billings, RN, posted as a military liaison officer to the Arctic observatory of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Unthinkable theory
The main objective is establishing and following a set of robust security procedures, and enlisting as needed the help of the technical staff, to protect the scientific members of the expedition from dangers posed by the ferocious Arctic fauna and weather [...]
The following part of your mission is considered state secret. Report all mentions of anthropogenic sulphur aerosols or the term "Saffron Cloud" while doing your best to refute any and all rumours concerning them. Our operatives have failed to uncover any conclusive evidence of the mere existence, much less use of this alleged doomsday weapon. You must not allow such unfounded theories to distract the scientists from finding out the real reason behind the recent cooling.

Some of the loading screens refer to various in-universe theories for the global cooling, including the idea that the eruption of Krakatoa actually knocked the Earth out of orbit. This is the only bit of text in the entire game that brings up the idea that it may be man-made.

This automaton died for our sins!

The Lamp
A fragment of the patent description for The Lamp, attached to a service manual. It was found inside a fireproof locker in the dreadnought's library.

Life-saving equipment
[...] of biggest concern is the ability to manufacture the device described in this patent in large numbers, while meeting a very strict timeline, and, most importantly, to continue manufacturing on site, where proper workshop tools and supplies might not be readily available.
The device affords the user a source of light and heat, and a means to sound a distress signal. As such, it is considered vital for survival, as its malfunction in typical operating conditions is essentially a death sentence.
Therefore it is necessary to provide maintenance training for every engineer assigned to the Expedition and to equip every dreadnought with a set of blueprints and operation manuals.

There we go, the Lamp that was mentioned last update. The artbook also refers to them as glowworms. It's nice that every person comes with one of these by default, instead of the player having to actually build them.

The Public House is the only building left in the entire city that actually requires human staff. These five poor sods are the only people left that actually have to work these days. They toil so that the rest of the 'Ville can Chill.

And so with all bridges built, all technology researched, and (almost) all jobs taken over by giant robots, I think it's time to call it. Let's take one last fond look at Chillville before we go.

But wait, there's more!
I didn't manage to track down every single Relic and it would be in-game months before I could, so let's hop over to another save of mine and see which Relics I've got in that universe. See you on the other side.

Tools of a surgeon
A set of surgeon's tools that belonged to Sir Thomas Watters, a physician on one of the first Frostland expeditions, with a page from his personal notebook.

My everyday tools
As a field surgeon I saw my fair share of horrors that required amputations, but nothing could prepare me for the dreadful reality of living in this Hel of Norse mythology. Merely trying to survive in such temperatures is like being on a battlefield. Frostbite is as common as a bullet wound and likewise as dangerous.
So it's not surprising that the tools we received in London could have come straight from my field chest, with emphasis on speed and brutal efficiency. For anesthesia I got a small bottle of ether and a wooden gag. God have mercy on us.

Steam Core model
A model of the Steam Core prototype, which was picked from the sea by a corvette searching for Professor Hawkins. A report of the commanding officer is attached.

The tragic loss of Dragonfly
[...] the chest with the model was waterproof and remained afloat, but the safe containing the blueprints and other documentation presumably sank with the rest of the wreckage at a depth of at least a thousand fathoms.
The cause of the accident is at present unknown, but as it's exceedingly unlikely that anyone will ever read this report, I will allow myself the liberty to speculate that it was either a mechanical failure or pilot error. Contributing factors include weather, inadequate crew training and the experimental nature of the aeroplane.
It was sheer folly on the part of Mr Hawkins to attempt the crossing in a largely untested machine, and utter, criminal madness to let him board it.

Chemical Plant sketch
A page from a set of blueprints for a Chemical Plant that was rejected by the Industry Committee. It contains comments from at least two different people involved in the decision process.

Forbidden fruit
It deeply saddens me to say that while the design is elegant and highly practical, I cannot recommend implementing it. Hard liquor is the least dangerous among the variety of substances an unscrupulous leader could use to keep the people in check, and this plant is capable of turning out many drugs and stimulants as well.
It is our duty to weigh the benefits for the colony of the various chemicals that can be produced in this plant against the mortal danger some of them pose not just to the well-being of the populace, but to their immortal souls!
[a comment in another hand] Remove from official circulation, but do not destroy. Transfer to Proposals under Consideration.

First Folio
This book was published in 1623 and contains 36 plays by William Shakespeare. It was enclosed in an armored case filled with neutral gas. A note was found with it.

To the finder of this treasure
"Thus sometimes hath the brightest day a cloud; And after summer evermore succeeds. Barren winter, with his wrathful nipping cold: So cares and joys abound, as seasons fleet."
Remember: not all is lost. The spring will come. Have hope, and endure. With this I leave you, and wish you courage.
Henry Wetherby, bookworm.
"If I must die, I will encounter darkness as a bride, And hug it in mine arms."

Cookhouse ancestor
Comments on a rejected kitchen design, from a letter written by Master Planner Henry Collins to his wife. It was found among other effects of Mrs Collins in her cabin.

Hellish Kitchen
[...] truth be told, I don't envy anyone who'd have to work there. The design was supposed to be easy to build with rudimentary tools and materials, while being as comfortable as possible, but Mumford's team focused entirely on the former criterion, neglecting the latter. The result is an abject failure: a cramped hovel where the diners would get frostbitten while the cooks would get burnt, turning meals into a particularly cruel torture. I intended to insist on a redesign that meets all of our requirements.
But I fear that even in a proper kitchen there will soon be no ingredients nor time to make proper meals, not when hundreds have to be fed every single day. And concerning spices - they're frowned upon as a waste of precious space on dreadnoughts. It is estimated that the average consumption of salt alone exceeds 10 pounds per capita per annum, which means that in less than a year it will be gone.
My dear, can you imagine life without salt?

[i]An inspiring vision
The journal of Frederick Stanhope Morton, a 26-year-old engineer employed in the construction of an early Generator. While he believed it to be the very first one, he was most likely misled.

A Utopia for our times
I cannot stop thinking how obscenely wasteful this whole endeavor is. To put such an astonishing amount of materials and so many months of hard work into building this marvel here, where nobody but a handful of selected scientists, financiers and assorted notables can see it - words fail me.
Supposedly they don't want to get peoples hopes up in case the whole project ends in a fiasco. But I can't see how such a simple and elegant mechanism could fail. The Generator is the key to our future. Once the concept is proven, we can provide everyone with shelter and basic sustenance, using the vast resources of the Empire. We only need time.

The Case of an Empty Village
A page from the journal of Lieutenant R. Phillips, who was lost with his entire scouting party leading a survey from the dreadnought, HM Resolution.

Abandoned Fishing Village
[...] The gale hit when we were in the open. It was the strangest blizzard I've ever experienced, although I cannot say what made me feel that way, if it was the eerie wailing of the wind or the monstrous dark shapes formed by the billowing snow.
When we finally got to the village longing for a warm welcome, we found only ice and silence. The disappointment was all the more hard to bear since I remembered the fishermen living there so well. They were cheerful, if somewhat coarse folk, hardened by the cold and work at sea; a close-knit community, but friendly to the outsiders nonetheless. We've looked for clues to their disappearance, but found none. Apparently the whole village has moved out, taking everything they could with them and, to our astonishment, locking the doors.
They were good people. I hope they will come back someday.

Painted toy horse
Object from the British Museum collection of Roman artifacts, about 2000 years old. Found among the effects of one of the deceased passengers, along with his journal.

Robert's horsie
[...] the ship was going down, we were about to board the lifeboats, when I noticed that Robert had disappeared. You can imagine my thoughts. I rushed back into our cabin, wading in ice-cold water to my knees, but he wasn't there. Desperation seized me, but then I heard the patter of his feet above. He emerged from the tangle of smashed crates. I caught him in my arms and ran. We barely made it. As we cast off, I noticed that Robert was clutching something tightly in his hand. "I didn't want him to drown," he said " He can't swim, see? Because he's a horsie, but with wheels."
So here it is: the story of how this part of the collection was saved. The rest now lies at the bottom, and I pray that the crates which weren't crushed by the ice hold until we can retrieve them.

In addition, there are two extra Relics that can spawn on the Rifts map that I haven't got pictures for:

[i]Newspaper clipping
A letter to the editor clipped from The New Times of London edition published shortly before the fall.

Sir,
In these calamitous times, when people look into the future with trepidation, I am writing to you so you may pass to the readers a message of hope which I have received from my husband, an engineer working on a great public project undertaken by Her Majesty's Government. It's an ingenious device which, when finished, will provide heat for a colony created to safely accommodate hundreds, if not thousands, of inhabitants and protect them from the harsh winter weather. I was told that such colonies are being built for people from all parts of the Empire who could be most affected by the current climate change.
(A handwritten note at the bottom reads: "Find and eliminate the source of this leak".)

Resignation letter
A handwritten letter of resignation found crumpled into a ball.

Sir,
I am hereby tendering my resignation from the position of the administrator of Third Colony.
Thank you very much for the opportunity you've given me to acquaint myself with the operation of this settlement. Thanks to your inventive scheduling of the deliveries, the usual questions an administrator faces most days weren't troubling me too long. For example, the answer to "what will my people eat tomorrow?" was often simply "nothing", and the reply to "how are we going to stay warm?" was "by huddling together".
I would not presume to know your intentions for cutting our supplies, nor would I second-guess your decision. You must certainly have had your reasons. Nevertheless, I believe I can no longer in good conscience lead our people when I am not able to answer their questions as to the outlook of our colony to their satisfaction.
I remain your humble and obedient servant.
Frederick Stockton

Alright, that's everything for Endless Mode. See you next time, when we tackle the first expansion scenario, The Last Autumn! In fact, here's a quick preview of what we can look forward to:

GREEEEEEEN

Remalle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2023

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Remalle posted:

Endless Mode: Part Eight

You know, I'm beginning to wonder what the percentage is of vehicles that haven't exploded in this game.

Remember the time you blew up a sun a Generator?

Turns out using pressurized high temperature steam is mildly dangerous. As Robbie Coltrane once said, doesn't take much for them to be more of a bomb than an engine.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

I always imagined the flying hunters worked kind of like whalers. They fly through frostland looking for what ever poor creatures they can find then when they spot an elk or whatever they whip out some steampunk hybrid of a harpoon and a sniper rifle, stick the the soon to be dinner, then just haul it up into the airship. All with out ever landing. Which would explain why they're so much better at it then normal hunters. Anything big enough to be a worthy meal, probably doesn't worry about threats from above very much.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paingod556 posted:

Remember the time you blew up a sun a Generator?

Turns out using pressurized high temperature steam is mildly dangerous. As Robbie Coltrane once said, doesn't take much for them to be more of a bomb than an engine.

As the Mythbusters can attest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0&t=90s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

stryth posted:

I always imagined the flying hunters worked kind of like whalers. They fly through frostland looking for what ever poor creatures they can find then when they spot an elk or whatever they whip out some steampunk hybrid of a harpoon and a sniper rifle, stick the the soon to be dinner, then just haul it up into the airship. All with out ever landing. Which would explain why they're so much better at it then normal hunters. Anything big enough to be a worthy meal, probably doesn't worry about threats from above very much.

What I'm surprised about is that there's anything left to hunt given the complete lack of vegetation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

At a Mythbusters Live touring show, Adam Savage talked about that one and was very careful to specify that as far as the FAA is concerned that water heater did not go any higher than 500 feet, no sir.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

The Lone Badger posted:

What I'm surprised about is that there's anything left to hunt given the complete lack of vegetation.

Lots of stuff froze really fast remember? So there's plenty of vegetation, it's just frozen and buried under 30 feet of snow. Only the baddest of the badasses in the animal kingdom survived... to end up in our ration packs. As for the predators? Well, how many long dead frozen bodies have we run across in this game?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Time to take a look at the first real expansion scenario, The Last Autumn! We're going way back in time here, all the way back to 1886. Ok, so it's only one year before the other scenarios, but still. This can be considered to be an indirect prequel to every other scenario, and it has some really fun changes that we'll go over very soon.

The Empire is collapsing under the strain of climate catastrophe, yet no one is ready to admit it openly. A secret project to build the Generators is put into motion...

I feel like this text should be in yellow and scrolling up away from me.

Personal Journal of Euphemia MacLachlan, Assistant Engineer at Imperial Exploration Company

It's been 5 weeks since we have left the familiar walls of Birmingham behind.

Weeks of uncertainty.

Of struggle.

Of hope.

And, finally...

We have reached the shores...

We had three deaths so far.

Or "small price for progress" as IEC'd called it.

I can only hope I am going to avoid their fate.

They've claimed, there was nothing to fear. That this whole journey of ours...

...was just a precaution.

But now...

It feels like the weather is changing.

And the winter...

The winter...

...seems inevitable.

We crossed the rough northern seas to reach Site 113, where we are to build the greatest marvel of technology: a Generator.
Your crew, lured by the promise of a steady job and eager to leave the work riots and bread queues behind, are somewhat taken aback at the sight of the desolate landscape surrounding the site. They were told not to ask for details... and there's no turning back now.
There's no consensus why this contract has such a high priority, considering the deteriorating situation of the Empire, but your superiors are clear: this is the most important job of your life.

Well, here we are. None of that "queen and country" stuff here for me, please. Let's have a look at Site 113, shall we?

Our traditional zoom-in reveals two important details. Firstly, there is nothing even resembling a Generator here; we really do have to build the thing up from absolute scratch. Secondly (and more exciting to me): GREEEEEEEN

That there sure is a giant hole in the ground.

Before you start building the Generator, you have to set up the basic supply infrastructure. This means building the Docks and gathering the resources piling up by them. You'll also need a Raw Food source: the Fishing Harbour or a Foragers' Camp set up by a food source somewhere in the Plains.

Yeah, all of our starting buildings are the same as normal, with the one exception that Hunter's Huts are not available. In fact, the only Food building we have available is a Cookhouse, and of course our 150 Raw Food will not last forever.

Scattered around the Big Hole in the Ground (tm) are a bunch of wood and steel stockpiles, notably more organized than normal but otherwise unremarkable. On the edges of the map we have two huge coal piles of 2000 coal each, and a currently inaccessible shipwreck that holds 1000 steel.

We start with 75 workers and 15 engineers. We also have a Motivation bar rather than Hope, which has some thresholds that will be explained at a later point.

Most notably, though, we have a completely different Book of Laws. Let's take a closer look at what's available in Administration:

People need a place to practice our faith in peace.

First off we have Chapel. These are almost identical to the House of Prayer law from Faith, but don't have the Sermon ability. The cooldown for this is halved compared to that law, being 18 hours, and it leads to Evening Service.

We will consign the bodies of our dead to the stony soil of this faraway land. It would be too expensive to bring them back to England.

We will lay our dead to rest in English soil. Their bodies will be kept in the Morgue until they can be transported.

Next up we have a mutually exclusive set of laws in On-Site Burials and Repatriation of Bodies. These replace the Cemetery and Corpse Disposal laws, of course. There's an 18 hour cooldown on each, and they lead to one law each - Ceremonial Funerals for On-Site Burials, and Company Funerals for Repatriation of Bodies.

We'll try everything to cure the gravely ill, from invasive surgery to amputations.

We can't cure the gravely ill, but we can at least keep them alive. We won't risk dangerous amputations with Radical Treatment.

Our old friends, Radical Treatment and Sustain Life, unchanged from their usual form. They lead to Extra Rations, Overcrowding, and Care House as usual.

Bath Houses would protect our people from sickness by promoting cleanliness and healthy habits.

Hey, this is a completely new one! The Bath House is a type of building you can put near residences to make people less likely to get sick and raise motivation. They use coal.

We can cook gruel instead of full meals to feed more people with the same amount of raw food.

We could serve tastier and more nutritious food to motivate our people. Of course, it would require more Raw Food to prepare.

A slightly different take on the Soup/Food Additives choice. Gruel is just a renamed Soup (2 Raw Foods to 5 Food Rations at the expense of Discontent), but Hearty Meals turns raw food into rations at a 1:1 ratio while increasing Motivation with every meal eaten. Both of these take 18 hours and lead to Cocaine Pills. Naturally.

Hard working people need to unwind after work in good company with a stiff drink in hand.

And finally we have our old favourite, the Public House. The only difference with this one is that it's available immediately rather than requiring Fighting Arena to unlock. The cooldown is 18 hours like all the others and this one leads to House of Pleasure as usual, in addition to Bare-Knuckle Bouts.

Since we have a new set of Laws which lead to slightly different places than what we're used to, I'm going to make this first vote a discussion in A New Hope style.

What will be the first Law we enact to ensure everyone's survival and light our future?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 26, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Public House I don't anticipate any deaths in the next 18 hours. Everybody who was going to have a heart attack has, right?

Also you have Radical Treatment twice.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Public House! Let's have a drink.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

habituallyred posted:

Also you have Radical Treatment twice.
Fixed, thanks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hearty meals. Strong men need strong food in their stomach to build a monolith like the Generator.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
gently caress it, we pub.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bath house

Cleanliness is next to goodliness

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Bath house

Cleanliness is next to goodliness

A thick layer of grease helps provide additional insulation against the cold. This is why bathhouses were not available in later eras.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Hearty meals.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
We so often underestimate the power of a nice bath.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Public House

Baths are nice but the building uses coal, which we don't have much use in gathering at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Hearty Meals!
Good food will bring enthusiasm.