Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RareAcumen posted:

Klee hanging out with Rosaria and absolutely killing her mood because she can barely pull off being an assassin at night with a walking dynamite box following her around all the time.

Klee figures out a way to make the explosions black and Rosaria is okay with it.

Tampa Bae posted:

There's a lot of non-atepdtus doing impressive things in the game's story but I'd say freezing a 50 foot wave effortlessly is probably up there near the top

Yeah, that whole sequence puts her near the top in sheer power. I like Kale comparing her to the Hulk, that's very apt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

This event story was neither particularly good nor bad, but definitely light years ahead of the Mega Meka Melee one and tied together well enough. I prefer the ones that have at least some lasting purpose to the greater continuity of events involving the actual major characters in the game. Hopefully the Mega Meka Melee one was an outlier because I just could not care less about anything that happened in that one or the brothers. It and Thunder Sojourn were the only ones to feel like just a regular week long event that they usually throw a few of into each patch just to give some reason to distribute primo gems. Like the Jellyfish collecting Radiant Harvest one at the start of this patch for example.

I imagine we start getting flagship events primarily featuring the Fontaine cast starting from 4.2 on.

e: Anyone doing the event late, definitely find and read the in game book Heart of Clear Springs to get the most out of it if you haven't already.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 22, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
We only had four Sumeru focused flagships in 3.x. And one was the Bottle Disneyland one, not sure that really counts.

the tcg one didn't count since that was a whirlwind tour of all four nations

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just in general, if I had to rank the events overall in terms of the storyline that went along with them since I started playing the game in 1.4 I think I would go with:

Great: Midsummer Island Adventure, Moonlight Merriment, Shadow Amidst Snowstorms, Fleeting Colors in Flight, Hues of Violet Garden, Perilous Trail, Summertime Odyssey, A Parade of Providence
Good: Fabulous Fungi Frenzy, The Exquisite Night Chimes, Secret Summer Paradise
Decent: Labyrinth Warriors, Three Realms Gateway Offering, Graven Innocence, Of Ballad and Brews, Akitsu Kimodameshi, Windblume's Breath, Duel! The Summoners' Summit!, Waterborne Poetry
Bad: Energy Amplifier Initiation, Thunder Sojourn, Mega Meka Melee

The ones I consider great kind of almost reach the quality of a character story, Archon or exploration quest and have some sort of lasting effect on the greater narrative like I said. Good ones don't quite reach that height but were memorable in some way at least to me enough to stand out among the 25 or so they've done at this point. Decent ones tend to be kind of standalone with a pretty decent self contained story, but don't really leave a particularly strong lasting impression. Bad ones are just outright completely forgettable and might as well be, like I said, regular week long events of some quirky NPC blathering at you for 5 minutes about whatever crazy poo poo they're cooking up and maybe the smallest of lore drops or tie in to some other quirky NPC you met (usually from Fontaine) and then you play the mini games or challenge domain thing.

I'm a little concerned about how there's only really been one I'd consider great and one I'd consider good in the last year or so though after a really strong run throughout the first and second years of the game.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 22, 2023

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Of the dendro characters, I have:

- Kirara
- Tighnari
- Kaveh
- Collei

Which one would be the most worth investing in?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Of the dendro characters, I have:

- Kirara
- Tighnari
- Kaveh
- Collei

Which one would be the most worth investing in?
The secret answer to this question is you also have Dendro MC, who is the actual one of those most worth investing in.

But also it depends what you need/want. If you just wanna do hyperbloom invest in Collei or Dendro MC. If you want a dendro onfielder, use Tighnari. He does different stuff than Collei/Dendro MC, like how Hu Tao is different from Xiangling or whatever.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
A lot of those have really different rolls in a team so depends on what kind of team you're trying to play? If you mean you're trying to build a hyperbloom team it would also still kind of depend on who else you've got

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you have Yae Miko, Tighnari is very good with her.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

If you have Yae Miko, Tighnari is very good with her.

I still think Yae is one of the most underrated characters in the game at launch who was good even before Spread and Aggravate was a thing. There's something to be said for a character that can just generate solid damage while not even really having to do anything other than set up some turrets and can hit stuff just about anywhere in the vicinity at most elevations again without even really having to do anything. They also recharge really quickly so you can always have 100% up time on all 3 with relative ease. She's also one of my big go to character for any enemy being dumb and annoying and getting caught on some lower ledge or just being in a spot that's annoying to hit with a bow character. Just deploy some turrets and worry about other enemies for a while they kill the annoyingly located thing.

It's mostly her constellations that are kind of irksome. There was also so much hype for the character at the time she came out that there was never really going to be a reasonable assessment of her at first though. I think people were just expecting something different from her kit maybe I don't know.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Yae has always been good, yes. No regrets getting her to C2.

There are two problems with her turrets though, both more minor annoyances than real problems. First is that her dash looks like it should have iframes but doesn't, and second that she should be able to hold her skill to deploy all three turrets in a triangle around her instead of pressing to deploy 1-by-1. Make hold a 0.75 second channel if you must, but just getting all of them out in one go would be a huge QOL and offset the dash not having iframes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tampa Bae posted:

There's a lot of non-atepdtus doing impressive things in the game's story but I'd say freezing a 50 foot wave effortlessly is probably up there near the top

Considering we have a direct comparison of Risely barely handling a small flood despite also being cryo.

and Clorinde....doing something.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Tighnari/Yae is a great shell for a lot of things and I like using them a lot for overworld stuff. Tighnari is not very ult dependent and Yae can make do normal attacking while his CDs are down since she can make use of aggravate quite well as she'll be building some EM for her turrets anyway. Plus, a lot of their stuff auto aims from range so you don't even have to really aim to kill stuff.

Fischl works too, but if a camp lasts longer than Oz's summon and her ult is down, then things get a bit annoying.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well I guess I can use Tighnari again at least

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kale posted:

Fireworks were expressly forbidden during that ceremony I believe. I remember Yoimiya being bummed out about it and that's how she bumped into Klee and they bonded over mutual love of blowing poo poo up.

when has being told no stopped Klee?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Anora posted:

when has being told no stopped Klee?

In Mondstadt Jean just grounds her in the room. We've already kind of seen what happens to people that go against the Shogun's edicts as well even if Ei's our friend now. It took her going way over the line to even get a part of her country to break lock step with her decrees and even then if it weren't for the traveler's presence and some handy work by Yae it could never have succeeded. I feel like trying to light off fireworks in Inazuma under a firework ban decree would be equivalent in response to just casually deciding to light up a joint in public in China.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Yae is excellent for many reasons, but the funniest is constantly finding random bits of meat everywhere after her skill has zapped all the birds from the sky

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Endorph posted:

The secret answer to this question is you also have Dendro MC, who is the actual one of those most worth investing in.

But also it depends what you need/want. If you just wanna do hyperbloom invest in Collei or Dendro MC. If you want a dendro onfielder, use Tighnari. He does different stuff than Collei/Dendro MC, like how Hu Tao is different from Xiangling or whatever.

Kirara is a great investment, IMHO. She's a shielder with a short cooldown, box mode is super-useful for overland travel (particularly vertical climbing), and while she's not the best Hyperbloom enabler, if you can get a water aura like Barbara's around her she shits out lots of blooms. She's found her way onto many of my teams and will continue to do so.

Tigh is someone that I feel like I'm underusing, and I probably have way-undertuned artifacts on him to explain that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Tighnari's good, he's just overshadowed by other dendro DPS since quickswap / burst dendro application and then nothing for a while is a poor match for Hyperbloom. If you're just looking for an Aggravate driver he's fantastic.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got Tighnari from one of my 50/50 fails on the Neuvillette banner and have been gradually building him.

So far I feel like he would have been a much better grab during Sumeru. The Sumeru map local specialties is really nice, and ranged dendro for the map is also nice but I have most of that taken care of already outside of farming his own lotuses.

As for him vs. current characters and top 3.x characters it’s feeling like he will underperform, but I only just got him to lvl 80 so his charge attack talent is stuck at lvl 8. He has a pretty decent wanderer’s set on, with good EM and I’ve been running him, Fischl, Nahida and Kuki. Compared to just putting Neuvilette in his slot the difference is drastic (though I would use Raiden and not Kuki for him), which is partially that Neuvi is busted but also that he is lvl 90, and c1/r1 so maybe not a fair comparison (Tighnari is using Harp as his weapon and c0). I’ll be curious once he’s fully built how he performs. He is fun though and that is arguably most important.

I hope they put his weapon on a banner again - adding new characters to standard and then withholding their weapons kind of sucks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rio posted:

I got Tighnari from one of my 50/50 fails on the Neuvillette banner and have been gradually building him.

So far I feel like he would have been a much better grab during Sumeru. The Sumeru map local specialties is really nice, and ranged dendro for the map is also nice but I have most of that taken care of already outside of farming his own lotuses.

As for him vs. current characters and top 3.x characters it’s feeling like he will underperform, but I only just got him to lvl 80 so his charge attack talent is stuck at lvl 8. He has a pretty decent wanderer’s set on, with good EM and I’ve been running him, Fischl, Nahida and Kuki. Compared to just putting Neuvilette in his slot the difference is drastic (though I would use Raiden and not Kuki for him), which is partially that Neuvi is busted but also that he is lvl 90, and c1/r1 so maybe not a fair comparison (Tighnari is using Harp as his weapon and c0). I’ll be curious once he’s fully built how he performs. He is fun though and that is arguably most important.

I hope they put his weapon on a banner again - adding new characters to standard and then withholding their weapons kind of sucks.

Tighnari absolutely does not under perform. While Nahida is the best support for every single team with dendro and thus both Tighnari and Alhaitham's best teammate, Tighnari is competitive with both of these dps, even when super whaled. His cons are as strong as limited cons despite him being a standard char, and unlike Dehya, his base kit is already good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDYTHriQ7U

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Tighnari is pretty decent but lmao at linking a comparison video where every 5 star is C6 with signature weapon.

This kind of stuff is why people start thinking this extremely free to play game is expensive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7227436108332813611

Oh, wonderful, TikToks do embed!

Kale
May 14, 2010

FiftyFour posted:

Yae is excellent for many reasons, but the funniest is constantly finding random bits of meat everywhere after her skill has zapped all the birds from the sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWl0swcksWY

Her Japanese voice is the most hilarious in the game to me in any language. Really fond of the peppering dialogue with "Umu" and "Warewa" as well.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Next project: Rebuilding Yelan.

I have most of her artifacts upgraded from where I had them, and am waiting for either a gold Emblem Hydro goblet or a gold Emblem Crit Rate hat to drop. In the meantime, I'm debating whether a HP% Emblem hat (giving her the 4pc boost to bursts) or a Crit Rate non-Emblem hat (losing 4pc but boosting her crit rate from ~30% to at least the 50%s) is the better short-term solution.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm finally getting around to the poetry event and this:

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm pretty sure Mika sounded more or less like a human in his first appearance during an event, then sounded like a muppet from his character demo onward.

is way too on the nose, yikes. He sounds like he came from an universe where Genshin was a Saturday morning cartoon

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Genshin is like a Saturday morning cartoon. Almost every character is one dimensional.

Mika gets flak (deservedly) because timid characters are annoying. Especially when they show no signs of character growth... which none of the characters have(to my recollection), unless it occurred before you meet them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fischl grew...in a long gone summer event

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
They could always take a page from Honkai and have character growth mean new versions of a character to sell. I bet a juiced up Noelle would sell.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I much prefer the Honkai system to how Genshin and Star Rail are managing their casts. Despite being seven years old HI3 only has 28 (29 with Fischl) playable characters.(The actual story based cast is a bit bigger but not by that much) Sure there are like seventy something suits, but they are just for those characters. Star Rail despite only releasing what 6 months ago already has 32 playable characters. Genshin is up to what 73 with Aloy? It's a pretty drastic gulf in the size of the cast. Of course HI3's characters are more multifacted and interesting just because there are fewer of them so we really get to know the ones we have. And as much as I do love Raiden Ei, she is just a pale shadow compared to Raiden Mei.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Eimi posted:

I much prefer the Honkai system to how Genshin and Star Rail are managing their casts. Despite being seven years old HI3 only has 28 (29 with Fischl) playable characters.(The actual story based cast is a bit bigger but not by that much) Sure there are like seventy something suits, but they are just for those characters. Star Rail despite only releasing what 6 months ago already has 32 playable characters. Genshin is up to what 73 with Aloy? It's a pretty drastic gulf in the size of the cast. Of course HI3's characters are more multifacted and interesting just because there are fewer of them so we really get to know the ones we have. And as much as I do love Raiden Ei, she is just a pale shadow compared to Raiden Mei.

Agreed; I haven't played HI3, but I used to play Limbus Company, and that just had a core cast of 12 characters, and gacha was only for other versions of those characters. It made it a lot easier to get attached to them, since they were always around in the main story, and they all had some depth to them. It'd be nice if games like this did limit their casts, but unlikely. Shame, really.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's a pretty common format in idol games (and games obviously inspired by idol stuff like the Disney prettyboy game Twisted Wonderland) where new characters are almost never introduced and most of the gacha is variants of the core ~20 girls/boys. It seems rarer in the RPG themed gachas though.

Genshin has 2+ countries left to go so I don't think they have to go to the dupe well for a long while if ever

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 23, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i think there's a place for games with tight-knit core casts and games with ensemble casts.

mycot posted:

It's a pretty common format in idol games (and games obviously inspired by idol stuff like the Disney prettyboy game Twisted Wonderland) where new characters are almost never introduced and most of the gacha is variants of the core ~20 girls/boys. It seems rarer in the RPG themed gachas though.

Genshin has 2+ countries left to go so I don't think they have to go to the dupe well for a long while if ever

moving on to the next country hasn't stopped genshin from adding new characters from older zones, like kirara and mika and yun jin

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think honkai SUCKS.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

UHD posted:

moving on to the next country hasn't stopped genshin from adding new characters from older zones, like kirara and mika and yun jin

Oh yeah and the opposite like Childe being from a future region, but I just meant that there's still so much room for entirely new characters that they don't really have to consider revisiting old characters for now. I'm not even sure who would be a good candidate from a lore and moving paper perspective.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mycot posted:

Oh yeah and the opposite like Childe being from a future region, but I just meant that there's still so much room for entirely new characters that they don't really have to consider revisiting old characters for now. I'm not even sure who would be a good candidate from a lore and moving paper perspective.

Before Neuvillette stole it from her, Kokomi. Her constellation name is the sleeping dragon of course, and she was the leading candidate to be the reborn sovereign since her family line was from Enkanomiya. Also other cases would be characters whose kits are legendary stinkers or just not working out in the current day and age. Diluc's kit is fine but he's fallen behind and he could have story relevance in Snezhnaya, Eula but with a damage type actually supported in the game, Kaeya when Khaenri'ah comes into focus, Dehya, Candace, and Xinyan because well their kits all suck. Hell off the current story maybe Childe could get an upgraded kit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh right Kaeya, he should definitely get something when the other shoe finally drops.

Venti but with Hindsight.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
As an open world exploration game, Genshin has to keep making new areas to explore. If you have to add new areas, it's an pbvious move to have the story take place in these new areas to flesh them out and guide players. And it's hard for the resulting travelogue style story to keep to a small cast because you need to keep introducing a new bunch of locals in each new area. Instead, you get a cast for each region telling a mostly self contained set of main and side stories, with a couple crossovers. The style of storytelling has it's restrictions, but it's needed to work around the restrictions of the gameplay.

HSR, on the other had, does feel like it's copying Genshin without really grasping that it isn't under the same restictions and could have do things differently.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mr_stibbons posted:

As an open world exploration game, Genshin has to keep making new areas to explore. If you have to add new areas, it's an pbvious move to have the story take place in these new areas to flesh them out and guide players. And it's hard for the resulting travelogue style story to keep to a small cast because you need to keep introducing a new bunch of locals in each new area. Instead, you get a cast for each region telling a mostly self contained set of main and side stories, with a couple crossovers. The style of storytelling has it's restrictions, but it's needed to work around the restrictions of the gameplay.

HSR, on the other had, does feel like it's copying Genshin without really grasping that it isn't under the same restictions and could have do things differently.

The core cast of the Express feels like they want to have a core cast of characters the story is about, but they also massively dropped the ball when it came to Dan Heng's time to shine. The worst part is all the pieces were there, and writing quality the character stories in Star Rail are REALLY good in particular Yukong's, that it could've been on par with the best of HI3. They just fumbled it hard. Almost worse than the writing just being outright bad because I want to stick around and see if they can right things.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Eimi posted:

The core cast of the Express feels like they want to have a core cast of characters the story is about, but they also massively dropped the ball when it came to Dan Heng's time to shine. The worst part is all the pieces were there, and writing quality the character stories in Star Rail are REALLY good in particular Yukong's, that it could've been on par with the best of HI3. They just fumbled it hard. Almost worse than the writing just being outright bad because I want to stick around and see if they can right things.

Part of the problem is that HSR still wants to do a travelogue with a colorful cast of locals, so it doesn't really have time to develop the express crew for the first two planets, which bites them in the rear end when Dan Heng has to have a major character arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lego Wangshu Inn at Mihoyo HQ.