Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Paper Tiger posted:

Not pictured: a ton of people on Twitter responding to the original tweet with stuff like "wow, must be loving nice to have a garden/a loving relationship/a cup of coffee", basically treating posting about enjoying simple things as the highest form of privilege

Being near destitute, depressed, shunned by my family and community for being trans, and struggling with a disability means I don't get to have a garden or a loving relationship, and the coffee sucks. When I see people post about how middle class and happy they are it does chap my rear end to see that really basic stuff they just treat as everyday twitter material is utterly unattainable to me. I got unreasonably pissed at that one guy from a while ago who rated every ice cream place in Manhattan (or wherever it was) because he gets to spend hundreds of dollars and take a week off to stuff his face with fatty frozen sweets, something that would possibly render me homeless.

It's not productive to get mad in their twitter replies over it all but I'm allowed to pout just a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Amazing, absolutely amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

emSparkly posted:

Being near destitute, depressed, shunned by my family and community for being trans, and struggling with a disability means I don't get to have a garden or a loving relationship, and the coffee sucks. When I see people post about how middle class and happy they are it does chap my rear end to see that really basic stuff they just treat as everyday twitter material is utterly unattainable to me. I got unreasonably pissed at that one guy from a while ago who rated every ice cream place in Manhattan (or wherever it was) because he gets to spend hundreds of dollars and take a week off to stuff his face with fatty frozen sweets, something that would possibly render me homeless.

It's not productive to get mad in their twitter replies over it all but I'm allowed to pout just a little.

Yeah I think it's pretty normal to be kinda bitter about stuff like that. I'm sure people just don't think but if faced with stories like that what mostly sticks out is all the things that mean you can't actually do it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's totally fine to get annoyed with it, and totally dumb to reply with that annoyance

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure there is a better use for twitter than atavistically screaming into the void.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beeswax posted:

It's totally fine to get annoyed with it, and totally dumb to reply with that annoyance

Yeah, this is the way. We all get a little salty from time to time, but "retired old people don't deserve happiness" is a loving bizarre internet hill to die on and a pretty glowing example of our incipient crab bucket culture coming into its own.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure there is a better use for twitter than atavistically screaming into the void.

That's the worst thing you can do.

The secret: you don't have to hear about Elon or Trump or Netanyahu if you don't want to. Unfollow politics no matter how noble the cause or how insightful the takes. Just follow funny people and have a pleasant scroll.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Beeswax posted:

That's the worst thing you can do.

The secret: you don't have to hear about Elon or Trump or Netanyahu if you don't want to. Unfollow politics no matter how noble the cause or how insightful the takes. Just follow funny people and have a pleasant scroll.

step 1: unbookmark the PYF tweets thread

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1670648343112892418

https://twitter.com/STRONG_PlSS/status/1715892902524575908

https://twitter.com/lilmeaties/status/1715360968316780548

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1713017658604421609

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh yuck

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah, this is the way. We all get a little salty from time to time, but "retired old people don't deserve happiness" is a loving bizarre internet hill to die on and a pretty glowing example of our incipient crab bucket culture coming into its own.

I may have missed a post (very likely) but the person who spends "hours every morning talking with her husband" is not old and is at most in her early 30s, and clearly of enough wealth to not worry about work and do trips to Costa Rica, etc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Oh God it's happening again

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everyone should enjoy that level of comfort, 30s or not

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Agreed

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I may have missed a post (very likely) but the person who spends "hours every morning talking with her husband" is not old and is at most in her early 30s, and clearly of enough wealth to not worry about work and do trips to Costa Rica, etc.

Or they work from home. Could be disabled, unable to work, and supported by said spouse. Who knows and who gives a poo poo.

People are allowed to be happy, and the goal should be to get everyone in a place where that style of life (or whatever style they want!) is possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People demonstrably are allowed to be happy because they keep posting about it and I think people are also allowed to scream at them for it, which I like to imagine redistributes some of the happiness.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't seem to make the screamers any happier

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

iwentdoodie posted:

Or they work from home. Could be disabled, unable to work, and supported by said spouse. Who knows and who gives a poo poo.

People are allowed to be happy, and the goal should be to get everyone in a place where that style of life (or whatever style they want!) is possible.

Let me make the discourse worse

According to her twitter she's a reiki practitioner and yoga teacher, he's a professional skateboarder

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Let me make the discourse worse

According to her twitter she's a reiki practitioner and yoga teacher, he's a professional skateboarder

Yeah I still don't give a poo poo, good for them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Billionaires should not, they should know only suffering until they rectify the situation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Beeswax posted:

Doesn't seem to make the screamers any happier

No, that dark roiling caustic feeling is actually a kind of happiness. Jaw-clenching and rage-sweating are actually signs of delight and good cheer

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yeah I still don't give a poo poo, good for them.

Yep

edit: stupid twitter cropping

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think it's also that a lot of people have this bullshit view of a world where every single thing is zero sum. People being happy? Well that just means less happiness for the rest of us! People loving each other?? Well that just means less love for the rest of us!!

It's awful, there are tons and tons of people who see every thing in this world, tangible things, intangible things, doesn't matter, exactly in this way.

But thank Satan we live in a universe where there's always more room for more love.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think it's also that a lot of people have this bullshit view of a world where every single thing is zero sum. People being happy? Well that just means less happiness for the rest of us! People loving each other?? Well that just means less love for the rest of us!!

It's awful, there are tons and tons of people who see every thing in this world, tangible things, intangible things, doesn't matter, exactly in this way.

But thank Satan we live in a universe where there's always more room for more love.

Ah, so you're also well versed in the principals of Emodynamics.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m just jealous

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Are there rap battles where instead of dissing the other person they compete to build the other person up and just generally say how great they are

Not like dumb "yo he's got a huge dick, this guy fucks" stuff but sincerely wholesome poo poo. Like I want to hear some guy spit sick rhymes about how proud he is of his opponent and everything he has accomplished

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

boofhead posted:

Are there rap battles where instead of dissing the other person they compete to build the other person up and just generally say how great they are

Not like dumb "yo he's got a huge dick, this guy fucks" stuff but sincerely wholesome poo poo. Like I want to hear some guy spit sick rhymes about how proud he is of his opponent and everything he has accomplished

Yeah, it happened in 8 Mile

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Sweet

I haven't seen that movie in about 20 years, I guess that's where I'm getting it from

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah. He talked about how he has a nice family and good parents and how he got into a private school.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/_kinesthetiac_/status/1542746087160700929

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

boofhead posted:

Check out some Shuffle-T & Marlo on Don’t Flop. Plenty of it on the YouTube. They do several “reverse” rap battles that are just what you describe and (imo) are genuinely funny and creative.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

emSparkly posted:

i accept you and I like your av

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Billionaires should not, they should know only suffering until they rectify the situation.
Well yeah, when discussing the merits of allowing people to enjoy their lives, billionaires are obviously excluded. That is when it does become a zero sum game and the less happiness they have, the happiness of everyone else goes up. Also, this conversation just makes me think of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

This doesn’t even have the best part

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The “went over to neighbor dudes place and gave them a home cooked meal” thread was probably even better for the discourse

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i for one am not happy for the reiki practitioners blessed life and hope she walks into a glass door with many people she respects on the other side of it and feels like an idiot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

This doesn’t even have the best part

There's more?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The next part has thirty clowns get out.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Alan Smithee posted:

The “went over to neighbor dudes place and gave them a home cooked meal” thread was probably even better for the discourse

I remember two things from said discourse:

1. Cheap reusable bowls probably cost hundreds of dollars

2. Giving your neighbors food is incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluh
Dec 28, 2012

emSparkly posted:

Word?