Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Virigoth posted:

I gave my Dad an Ubuntu install on a bee pc and he thinks that poo poo is easier than the Mac Mini he had that broke and it still makes me laugh because Apple is supposed to be so easy. This is a peck and hunt Google is hard type of man.

I installed Ubuntu on some old folks pc in 2009 and they were still using the same install when i saw them in 2019. I have no idea how the browser is still working and if they're getting owned but i guess it fits their needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Armacham posted:

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

I got a double western with crisscut fries and a chocolate shake a month or so ago, and it was over 20 dollars :sigh:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Where did my dollar menu go?

And dollar stores! Okay $1.25, I can say still about a buck. But dollar stores shouldn't have poo poo over $5. There should not be loving toys for $10 or bags of french fries for $5.

I admit though, it does make me buy less poo poo.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Not that Meta being lovely is a surprise to anybody, but I just ran across this post from someone who discovered that his Facebook ads for coding training courses got him permanently banned from running ads on the platform because they flagged his python and pandas training services as illegally dealing in live animals, and it's not a new problem:

https://lerner.co.il/2023/10/19/im-banned-for-life-from-advertising-on-meta-because-i-teach-python/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vampire Panties posted:

I got a double western with crisscut fries and a chocolate shake a month or so ago, and it was over 20 dollars :sigh:

Even taco bell is like $5 for a quesa dilla now

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Removing the button from smartphones is a crime beyond imagination. No I don’t want to finagle with swiping to do things that used to just take a click. gently caress anything to do with replacing physical interfaces with kabuki bullshit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have an app that's specifically used in backcountry situations. It just runs a bunch of calcutions but it won't load without service.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

galagazombie posted:

Removing the button from smartphones is a crime beyond imagination. No I don’t want to finagle with swiping to do things that used to just take a click. gently caress anything to do with replacing physical interfaces with kabuki bullshit.

It took me a long time to retire my home-button iPhone for a newer model with no home-button, and the most consistent issue I have is getting apps to actually close. With the old phone it as easy, double-punch the home-button and flick away the tile containing the app. Now I have to slowly and deliberately grab the bottom-most edge of the screen and drag upward until the app minimizes to a tile – but don't drag too far! Or else it will dissolve into a nether region where it can only be retrieved by again grabbing the bottom-most portion of the screen and slowly, deliberately dragging upward until it appears.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this incredibly lovely system that serves to only hide apps operating in the background emerged after Apple started taking heat from app producers for allowing the user to actually choose if the app is allowed to track you across other apps, so the whole system for killing apps seems to be a concession to data miners who now need to have their app running in the nether space to do their thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In today's age, is it worse to be ignorant about computers than it is to be ignorant about automobiles?

My father would shame me for not being a car dude like him and like everyone his age I've ever known, someone who take apart an entire car and put it back together, but none of them know gently caress-all about PCs.

Does the latest generation (... is it called "alpha?" I've heard that once before and I don't like it) have dual ignorance on computers and automobiles?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It took me a long time to retire my home-button iPhone for a newer model with no home-button, and the most consistent issue I have is getting apps to actually close. With the old phone it as easy, double-punch the home-button and flick away the tile containing the app. Now I have to slowly and deliberately grab the bottom-most edge of the screen and drag upward until the app minimizes to a tile – but don't drag too far! Or else it will dissolve into a nether region where it can only be retrieved by again grabbing the bottom-most portion of the screen and slowly, deliberately dragging upward until it appears.

You don’t have to manually close apps tho.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

credburn posted:

In today's age, is it worse to be ignorant about computers than it is to be ignorant about automobiles?

My father would shame me for not being a car dude like him and like everyone his age I've ever known, someone who take apart an entire car and put it back together, but none of them know gently caress-all about PCs.

Does the latest generation (... is it called "alpha?" I've heard that once before and I don't like it) have dual ignorance on computers and automobiles?

trick question, cars are computers now

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

credburn posted:

Probably, but they figured out how to make money playing video games which my generation wasn’t able to crack.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Automobiles are just appliances at the end of the day and can't really be elevated past that. Now, they happen to be expensive, core appliances whose utility can be critical for many, but their utility begins and ends at, 'get from point A to B'.

Computers *can be* an appliance (and god knows every phone app ever wants it to be), but the real power in a computer is being a solutions box. A computer can solve arbitrary problems, and the pool of problems it can solve is already vast and will continue to get bigger. As computers continue to be able to solve more problems faster, being able to leverage a computer to solve those problems is going to be more and more of a force multiplier, both in the workplace and in one's life.

I'd argue there is already a 'great divide' between the quality of jobs you can generally get with or without computer literacy (and 'divide' is not a good word - it's probably a gradient). I'd also further argue that leveraging computers effectively can add substantially to quality of life.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 22, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wifi Toilet posted:

Probably, but they figured out how to make money playing video games which my generation wasn’t able to crack.

Gen Z is making money playing video games. The oldest Gen Alphers are preteens.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'd also further argue that leveraging computers effectively can add substantially to quality of life.

Being able to understand and manage one's privacy, knowing basic security practices, and recognize scams are getting up there towards financial literacy importance

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why alpha? What a stupid pretentious name.

Should have gone with omega, last generation.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

All You Can Eat posted:

This will sound super hipster of me, but I stopped using PayPal in 2005 when they froze all that money Lowtax was raising for Hurricane Katrina relief

this and several other similar incidents over the years is exactly why I don't trust PayPal with a balance to start with, lol

they have a long history of going hey nice 500 bucks you got there. this is mine now. don't ask why.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Outrail posted:

Why alpha? What a stupid pretentious name.

Should have gone with omega, last generation.

I like it a lot better than the original name going around, the iGen.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Automobiles are just appliances at the end of the day and can't really be elevated past that. Now, they happen to be expensive, core appliances whose utility can be critical for many, but their utility begins and ends at, 'get from point A to B'.

Computers *can be* an appliance (and god knows every phone app ever wants it to be), but the real power in a computer is being a solutions box. A computer can solve arbitrary problems, and the pool of problems it can solve is already vast and will continue to get bigger. As computers continue to be able to solve more problems faster, being able to leverage a computer to solve those problems is going to be more and more of a force multiplier, both in the workplace and in one's life.

I'd argue there is already a 'great divide' between the quality of jobs you can generally get with or without computer literacy (and 'divide' is not a good word - it's probably a gradient). I'd also further argue that leveraging computers effectively can add substantially to quality of life.

You sound tremendously naïve. Knowledge of computers is not knowledge of all things.

Being able to troubleshoot hydraulics, fluid systems, and analog electronics are all separately difficult disciplines that are necessary to properly fix an automotive "appliance" Most modern devices combine them in a way that algorithms and AI are unprepared to approach.

Computers can really only solve toy fluid dynamics problems and they haven't gotten any closer to finished designs in the last decade. Fixing a tractor is completely outside what they are prepared to do.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 23, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

You sound tremendously naïve. Knowledge of computers is not knowledge of all things.

Being able to troubleshoot hydraulics, fluid systems, and analog electronics are all separately difficult disciplines that are necessary to properly fix an automotive "appliance" Most modern devices combine them in a way that algorithms and AI are unprepared to approach.

Computers can really only solve toy fluid dynamics problems and they haven't gotten any closer to finished designs in the last decade. Fixing a tractor is completely outside what they are prepared to do.

And you sound like you missed the point entirely.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Facebook games. I don't play them but my mom does, and lots of her old coworkers still do. And it's a great way for them to do poo poo without going out in a Covid world. But a week or so ago one of their games has stuck on a map, where you mouse-highlight over some castle, and it lets you click one part that starts the level. And it's not popping up that mini-popup. So I have been trying to run support for my mom and her friends, and nothing works because this is a poo poo Facebook flash game and there is no tech support. They keep insisting I must know something because something I did last time worked, and now they're debating what tech support dude to hire, or just go to GeekSquad, etc.

I remember Farmville and Candy Crush used to have loving commercials on TV and the radio and on buses. Those games maybe had actual tech support. Match 3-Things with barely different models and names of the games, do not.

Third party poo poo on Amazon is insane now. It seems 90% of everything sold is from some company with 0 reviews and horribly translated descriptions.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think what's funny is that, yes things are getting shittier, but there's largely gently caress all we can do about it. Be can blame conservatives and billionaires and they can blame us for every social ill but it's all just icing on the cake for a society that's moving to a low-growth or negative growth paradigm. Capitalism has its advantages but it does not cope with neutral or negative growth at all. It's bad for the environment and it's bad for our souls and I think it's coming to an end regardless of how much the capital class pokes the beast in the cage. It has no teeth any more, it's old and weary.

I just hope I survive it in such a way that I don't die alone in a small apartment by myself or on the street.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I should also note that, in my estimation, things are about as good as they're gonna get for a while depending on where you live. You may as well enjoy your life and people close to you and do your best for the next couple years while the strings holding everything together remain.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Tarkus posted:

I think what's funny is that, yes things are getting shittier, but there's largely gently caress all we can do about it

huh, i don't find that funny at all

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Tarkus posted:

I think what's funny is that, yes things are getting shittier, but there's largely gently caress all we can do about it. Be can blame conservatives and billionaires and they can blame us for every social ill but it's all just icing on the cake for a society that's moving to a low-growth or negative growth paradigm. Capitalism has its advantages but it does not cope with neutral or negative growth at all. It's bad for the environment and it's bad for our souls and I think it's coming to an end regardless of how much the capital class pokes the beast in the cage. It has no teeth any more, it's old and weary.

I just hope I survive it in such a way that I don't die alone in a small apartment by myself or on the street.

It helps if you imagine existence as literally hell that will only get slightly worse every minute. It's not that bad, yet.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I decided to check out Duolingo again and discovered that they are replacing the native speakers who used to voice languages with AI that "constructs" the pronunciations.

After spending the past week with it, the pronunciations are absolutely dire and don't match any dialect :negative: It's never exactly been a great way to learn language on its own, but now it's actively harmful (for a non-romance language, maybe something like Spanish is better but I have my doubts)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
It’s ok to not know how to build a gaming pc, hack a gibson, or install gentoo but in a world where middle class careers outside of technology are rapidly shrinking; You should have a basic understanding of your web browser and it’s mysterious lock icon, know what “My Documents” really means, and have a vague understanding of ram, hard drives, and what “if…then” means.

Like maybe you’ll luck out and never need to gently caress around but you could work in an office, warehouse, or even construction and find that you’ve been tasked with putting the CSV files in the ftp at the end of the day and it will be a bitch to figure out as you try to apply your iOS technology skills at like 4:50pm and it’ll be another bad day and it’ll all be for naught when you let some typosquatter empty out your bank account anyhow.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
lol Google image search on desktop is now optimized for vertical phone scrolling

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Every year we get new phones at work I have to transfer an insanely old Words With Friends version from my boss's dad's wife's iPhone to the latest one because she doesn't like the UI of the latest version. The new version transfers all her stats and all her friends list but she would refuse to play because the friend list is on the right now instead of the left.

I think I'm safe now that Apple started removing old versions of things from the app store for security reasons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

YouTube changed their app and it’s worse

When you turn it on it shows you an ad and shorts

That’s it

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

Just think, people are paid actual real money to design apps and interface systems. Like that's someone's job and this is the best they can come up with.

Wrong. Most app development companies DO NOT hire actual designers and WILL NOT pay the premium for an actual UX expert. They leave it up to the developers and fiddle with the UI after release. Only one company I've worked for used a dedicated designer and even they crippled the designers ability to influence app layout.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

It’s ok to not know how to build a gaming pc, hack a gibson, or install gentoo but in a world where middle class careers outside of technology are rapidly shrinking; You should have a basic understanding of your web browser and it’s mysterious lock icon, know what “My Documents” really means, and have a vague understanding of ram, hard drives, and what “if…then” means.

Like maybe you’ll luck out and never need to gently caress around but you could work in an office, warehouse, or even construction and find that you’ve been tasked with putting the CSV files in the ftp at the end of the day and it will be a bitch to figure out as you try to apply your iOS technology skills at like 4:50pm and it’ll be another bad day and it’ll all be for naught when you let some typosquatter empty out your bank account anyhow.

so many younger workers just use chatgpt to do their jobs.

either for writing emails or copy, or to come up with project outlilnes, diagrams, or documents, or for solutions to problems like the one you suggest.

i keep wondering if i should curtail it in any way but it does seem to work

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that reminds me of the scifi trope of "we have this ancient precursor supa alien tech , we only know how to use it dont even know how to repair or make it ourselves. political power balance is literally based on finding caches of the old tech to salvage.

also lol at multi fermi space filters being software/computer based.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 23, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

GolfHole posted:

either for writing emails or copy, or to come up with project outlilnes, diagrams, or documents, or for solutions to problems like the one you suggest.

In what industry? If I caught someone using ChatGPT in aerospace I would seriously consider firing them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

anonumos posted:

Wrong. Most app development companies DO NOT hire actual designers and WILL NOT pay the premium for an actual UX expert. They leave it up to the developers and fiddle with the UI after release. Only one company I've worked for used a dedicated designer and even they crippled the designers ability to influence app layout.

Well, that's so much worse for no good reason.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think I'm safe now that Apple started removing old versions of things from the app store for security reasons.

1000% this, and I wouldn't be shocked if this old rear end app has a few backdoors in it. Might at least be worth a google

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

euphronius posted:

YouTube changed their app and it’s worse

When you turn it on it shows you an ad and shorts

That’s it

For some reason the Watch Later playlist is at the end of my playlists. It used to be right there, front and center. Now I have to click library, click playlists, scroll all the way to the end, and find my Watch Later.

Just make it its own section.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

In what industry? If I caught someone using ChatGPT in aerospace I would seriously consider firing them.

well... not aerospace....

but even practically still, the example could be using it for things like "how can i propose an aerospace idea to my boss" or like "how can i write a good powerpoint presentation about aerospace" and then using that

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

This is more meme then it is truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fried Watermelon posted:

Every year we get new phones at work I have to transfer an insanely old Words With Friends version from my boss's dad's wife's iPhone to the latest one because she doesn't like the UI of the latest version. The new version transfers all her stats and all her friends list but she would refuse to play because the friend list is on the right now instead of the left.

Dungeon Raid was like the only iOS game i liked and it's been gone for years, I think it never made the jump to 64 bit.

:mad: