Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm playing Symphony of War and the writing doesn't seem as bad as I've heard it was. Granted, I've only done the first five missions and the most I can say about it so far is that it's serviceable, with perhaps some bare characters and predictable plot. Guess I'll have to see if it shits the bed from there.

Mechanically though I'm really liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Kuros posted:

Is there a Steam Deck thread or a good repository for learning how to hack one? I just got one today for an amazing deal and want to mess with it.

The Steam Deck thread is here, though I'm not sure what you mean by "hacking it", and how much that thread is going to help with that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ah ok redfall has a second open world for some reason. I was gonna say, surely they wouldn’t release a 6 hour open world looter shooter at $70

this town doesn’t look much bigger though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kuros posted:

Is there a Steam Deck thread or a good repository for learning how to hack one? I just got one today for an amazing deal and want to mess with it.

There’s no “hacking” one. It’s just a regular pc that you can do whatever you want with.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Kuros posted:

It’s a Linux PC, so it’s already completely open, unless you’re talking about hardware hacks?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

lords of the fallen is so good, I don't understand why nobody is talking about it...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Maybe it's because I never quite vibed with old-school roguelikes (as in, TOME or Dungeonmans) but I'm so sad that I can't get into Caves of Qud because of its eye-searing color palette; especially after all the praise it's gotten

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Qmass posted:

lords of the fallen is so good, I don't understand why nobody is talking about it...

probably because lies of p is right there

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

probably because lies of p is right there

There's room enough for both.

2023 is stacked!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Max Wilco posted:

How would you compare the Pro 2 to the SN30? (https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-Pro-Bluetooth-Gamepad-Classic/dp/B07GKLG3ZP?th=1) I was looking to get one of the controllers, and while the Ultimate sounds good with the hall effect sensing, it's the most expensive of the three, and... I dunno, the shape of the controller looks off to me for some reason.

The only difference I see between the SN30 and the Pro 2 is that the Pro 2 has handles, while the SN30 is just flat.

I'll say that I want one because I thought to use it in place of the Nintendo Switch's default controller, rather than for PC (though I could use it there, too). I'm also not ruling out the Ultimate as a choice.

I had the SN30 and upgrade to the Pro 2 and I love it, the biggest upgrade honestly is the ability to switch input types easily. For some reason my SN30 would always take like 20 minutes of fiddling to switch between PC/Switch/PS4 but the Pro 2 just has the little switch. And it comes in Atomic Purple, the objectively best color scheme of anything ever made.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I had the SN30 and upgrade to the Pro 2 and I love it, the biggest upgrade honestly is the ability to switch input types easily. For some reason my SN30 would always take like 20 minutes of fiddling to switch between PC/Switch/PS4 but the Pro 2 just has the little switch. And it comes in Atomic Purple, the objectively best color scheme of anything ever made.
I don't know why anything that can connect to multiple devices like that doesn't use a physical switch to do it, nobody can do it as good any other way. I've got an expensive keyboard that sucks to switch because it's a fn key but I guess that's becoming the norm with there being more software people getting into making hardware or whatever. I just end up using a cheap worse keyboard instead because of the convenience.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Finished Laika: Aged Through Blood. I enjoyed it, a solid 8/10 game.
It calls itself a metroidvania but to steal from a Steam review it's more of a bunch of Lites combined together. Metroidvania-lite for the traversal. Internet Flash Bike games for actual bike controls with Katana Zero/Hotline Miami-lite for the combat.
You die in one hit but you can use your bike to shield yourself, you do sweet backflips to reload your weapon, and of course there's ramps everywhere. There's a cooking system that can help with a chunk of the combat stuff and of course a couple of weapons with some upgrades.

The story starts off already driving deep into LISA territory but it does ease off the gas. It's dour and doesn't lighten up but doesn't go into the pits of LISA (Nothing about the world of LISA was redeeming).

I find the music delightful. There's no official lyrics out yet but sounds like all the songs relate to the game (Apparently this is a running theme with the dev). My Destiny is my favourite.
Having to collect a bunch of it is annoying at the start though, you're going to hear 2 or 3 of them over and over until you get more.

I was surprised about the lack of lore building. There's lore in some of the items and in the environment itself but you really don't get a ton of info about how and why the world is the way it is, it just is.
Do you like SKULLS? There's non-stop cool skull art in this.

Hug Puppy
:sever: Maya

It has Railroads and Covert Action but no SimGolf?
gently caress this wack poo poo.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Qmass posted:

People did talk quite a lot about it, everyone said it was irredeemable dogshit

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The 7th Guest posted:

ah ok redfall has a second open world for some reason. I was gonna say, surely they wouldn’t release a 6 hour open world looter shooter at $70

this town doesn’t look much bigger though

Devs didn’t think anyone would play that far

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Badly Jester posted:

The Steam Deck thread is here, though I'm not sure what you mean by "hacking it", and how much that thread is going to help with that.

MarcusSA posted:

There’s no “hacking” one. It’s just a regular pc that you can do whatever you want with.

tango alpha delta posted:

It’s a Linux PC, so it’s already completely open, unless you’re talking about hardware hacks?

Good info, thanks.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Rinkles posted:

Just learnt that Samsung is removing the Steam Link app from its tvs.

Upsidads posted:

It has something to do with how it's made and it wasn't intended to do "live" streaming beyond normal streams, lack of ram?
Id kill for Chromecast next to be able

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it looks like google's $30 chromecast dongle supports steam link, idk if there's a cheaper option

Upsidads posted:

It sucks w steamlink don't do it

I don't know about the $30 Chromcast with Google TV "HD" version, but it works great with the $50 Chromecast with Google TV "4K" version, and I do it all the time. The key is to use Moonlight (open source copy) as your linking app instead of the official Steam Link app. I can stream 4K HDR at 60fps over wifi from a floor away with no noticeable latency, at least to me. I've been shocked how well it works. My 8bitdo Pro 2 can either connect to my PC a floor away or to the Chromecast in Android mode and they both work equally well. My one caveat is that Moonlight relies on Nvidia-only driver stuff so if you're on AMD you may need something else.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Qmass posted:

A lot of people were put off by the shoddy optimization and laggy performance of the launch, including me. If they manage to fix it, it'll be a solid -30% discount soulslike for me to check out, I guess.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Kuros posted:

Good info, thanks.

As a bonus, you can switch to desktop mode in the power settings and then use a USB C hub to connect your Deck to an external monitor,keyboard and mouse and do desktop poo poo like Blender or Word Processing or Spreadsheets and other serious nerd poo poo.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

moot the hopple posted:

I'm playing Symphony of War and the writing doesn't seem as bad as I've heard it was. Granted, I've only done the first five missions and the most I can say about it so far is that it's serviceable, with perhaps some bare characters and predictable plot. Guess I'll have to see if it shits the bed from there.

The writing is campy but I found it fun in that fluffy sort of way - it maintains the same throughout. I definitely prefer that to bad writing that takes itself seriously (most video games).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Devs didn’t think anyone would play that far
even this doesn't make the game much longer. i've got i think 3 main missions to go and i've only been playing for 9 hours. which wouldn't be crazy short for a regular open world game, but for a borderlands-style looter shooter, an 11 hour campaign is insanely short. i think my total playtime of borderlands 2 with all the DLC was like 90-some hours

e: idk if i mentioned it in my sort-of review but I picked the elevator-summoning class, and this game's got the same detached quipping style that makes most AAA games so obnoxious. all the cutscene dialog and in-game dialog is "aheh, vampires? wall of water? yeah you could say things are weird." or "a creepy house? really? we're doing this??" for fucks sake game writers. let your characters be genuinely emotional. especially Arkane, c'mon

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 22, 2023

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

It never shits the bed, people just are weird about it.

It's perfectly serviceable, and frankly less weird than most of the games in it's genre.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
After playing a few more chapters of Symphony of War and getting more of a taste of its writing, it just seems very paint by numbers to me. I can't say I'm very engaged with the story or its characters which sorta feel like rudimentary set dressing for the more interesting gameplay. It's not like egregiously bad where it takes me out of the game, but at the same time I don't think it adds much to the experience, either.

I'm treating it much like Fell Seal, another modern reimagination of a classic tactical JRPG, but more towards the Final Fantasy Tactics end of the spectrum. In that game, it took a bunch of design cues from its inspired source but didn't adopt any of its storytelling strengths or charms. Honestly, I'd be hard-pressed to recall anything more than the broad strokes of Fell Seal's plot or characters. The gameplay however was pretty fun.

With these games, I'm mostly looking for a fun excuse to mash a bunch of whacky units together in combat in the style of the classic tactical JRPGs, but with a more modern presentation. The writing unfortunately doesn't move the needle for me and is just sorta [i[there[/i] but I at least really like the gameplay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay but what about giant woman asses?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The asses of giant women or women with giant asses?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

kazil posted:

Or the giant asses of giant women???

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Where can I find these asses to, er, avoid, of course

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if I have seemed thiccer than others, it is by standing on the asses of giants

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Gripper posted:

I don't know why anything that can connect to multiple devices like that doesn't use a physical switch to do it, nobody can do it as good any other way. I've got an expensive keyboard that sucks to switch because it's a fn key but I guess that's becoming the norm with there being more software people getting into making hardware or whatever. I just end up using a cheap worse keyboard instead because of the convenience.

because adding a physical switch increases manufacturing costs while having some obscure button combination only costs programmer time (and customer annoyance)

MarcusSA posted:

think the old people defininition of hacking, not the young people one

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Roadwarden is an amazing CYOA. Just stellar.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finished COCOON. It has some of the best sound design of anything I've played recently and an easy recommend for that alone. I wish it was more willing to be mindfucky with the recursive stuff it starts to do near the end but overall it feels like the best kind of indie game, just a short focused idea held together by a strong aesthetic

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
OK I have a dumb question for people who have played the System Shock remake: when do you get access to the map? I've been playing for an hour and don't have it yet. I know I had to pick up the ability to read audio logs etc and I'm worried that I overlooked the super-obvious Map Item in the first room or something.

I tried googling this but all I get are actual maps of the game's levels, so I figured I'd ask here :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

porque no los dos?

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK I have a dumb question for people who have played the System Shock remake: when do you get access to the map? I've been playing for an hour and don't have it yet. I know I had to pick up the ability to read audio logs etc and I'm worried that I overlooked the super-obvious Map Item in the first room or something.

I tried googling this but all I get are actual maps of the game's levels, so I figured I'd ask here :shrug:
The Navigation and Mapping unit is practically at the start of the game, right beside the Multimedia Data Reader and STD keycard. You do need to enable the map in one of your side displays to actually see it, which might be where you went wrong? The remake is basically the original with nicer graphics and minimal changes, and they expected you to read the manual in the 90s.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m late to the party, but holy poo poo the new Robocop game is looking fantastic and a complete love letter to the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pYGXo-DU0w&ab_channel=jackfrags

Cheat codes look amazing too:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 22, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m impressed they got Weller.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Rinkles posted:

I’m impressed they got Weller.

Now make a Screamers adaptation and have him voice it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Now make a Screamers adaptation and have him voice it

Make it like Alien Isolation and I think that could work.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Naar posted:

The Navigation and Mapping unit is practically at the start of the game, right beside the Multimedia Data Reader and STD keycard. You do need to enable the map in one of your side displays to actually see it, which might be where you went wrong?
Nope, I literally didn’t pick it up. :doh: Thanks!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naar posted:

The Navigation and Mapping unit is practically at the start of the game, right beside the Multimedia Data Reader and STD keycard. You do need to enable the map in one of your side displays to actually see it, which might be where you went wrong? The remake is basically the original with nicer graphics and minimal changes, and they expected you to read the manual in the 90s.

"Nicer graphics" is a little underselling it, I think it's consistently gorgeous. But yeah it certainly doesn't hold your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I started playing the Castlevania DS games on Deck. You can instantly swap the screen positions with a button press during gameplay. I like to play with the map in the corner but you can also fill the entire display with the primary screen and use the swap button to glance at the map. Crucially, you can draw on the Deck's touch screen just like a DS screen instead of using weird workarounds.