Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

kingturnip posted:

Oponn discussion

Oponn isn't the only god that does that. Consider Whiskeyjack always having a reason not to get his leg fixed, courtesy of Hood holding a grudge. So there was definitely a god involved, but I'm not sure it's strongly implied who.
Even Shadowthrone has a soft side, given how he reunites Crokus and Apsalar at the end; and if he's willing to give those two screwups a happy ending, I can see him making things a little less painful for Tavore, considering her whole mission is at his behest

Wasn't one of the subplots of Ammanas and Cotillion was them reconnecting with their humanity and teaching the other gods they needed to as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Cotillion for sure, Ammanas kind of stayed the same.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You could argue he wasn't much in touch with his human side even as a human, though.

e: VVV Oh no it isn't. Wait for Assail.

Honestly that's a book I'd even recommend avoiding since while it does explain a bunch of stuff you might be wondering about, all the revelations are incredibly underwhelming and the continent is better left as a mystery.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 23, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm going through the Malazan empire books on audio and I frankly have absolutely no idea what is going in return of the crimson guard except it's boring.

I think this is the low point but man it's low

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, it's not great.
I probably like it a bit more dislike it a bit less than Night of Knives, but at least that book is short.
It's also a bit better on a re-read/listen, if only because it makes a bit more sense.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm going through the Malazan empire books on audio and I frankly have absolutely no idea what is going in return of the crimson guard except it's boring.

I think this is the low point but man it's low

Yeah Crimson Guard is bad and a big reason why i actively advise against reading Esslemont's stuff. He completely fails to live up to the hype that Erikson presents wrt stuff like the Night of Knives and the Crimson Guard

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That is the one where things of consequence happen, iirc, unlike most of the rest of it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yeah I would recommend that as an 11th book if you were reading them all, just because of what happens. If you skip it I think the event in question is just kind of mentioned offhandedly by Quick Ben during a totally different conversation and then dropped entirely, which was crazy to me

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

McSpankWich posted:

I think the event in question is just kind of mentioned offhandedly by Quick Ben during a totally different conversation and then dropped entirely, which was crazy to me

Same

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I keep expecting to see that I'm accidentally on the third book because of how short night of knives was. The whole "this was a single night" in the forward threw me, sure seemed like flashback and current.

I'm at chapter 17 of 27. I've been dreading looking at how much is left, but at least I might be able to figure out what's gonna happen before things might happen.

Probably not. Skinner is bad, traveler walks in a straight line, and there are others I guess. Although perhaps anything Malazan I should read before listening.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I stopped reading the Esslemont books at some point, but the impression I always got was that they were sort of cohesive except that there was always one plot thread in each one that didn't have much to do with the rest of the book and just sort of happened. Ivanr in Stonewielder and Ghelel in Crimson Guard are two examples I can remember. I guess maybe they might show up in later books or have some background effect on the story or at least give context to the world, but at the time I just felt like they were incredibly tangential.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The only Esselmont books I've read are the Kellanved/Dancer prequels and I really liked them. Do people not consider them good?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd say that the first and fourth 'Path to Ascension' books are the best that he's written, particularly the first. I did enjoy an Amazon review for the first which started with "Finally, Esselmont's written an actually good book".

The main problem is that so much of what he's writing is linked to Erikson's books that it's hard not to - at the very least - have some expectations going in.
You go into Night of Knives knowing that events of the night Laseen took power were awesome and cool and
You go into Orb Sceptre Throne knowing that the Seguleh are awesome and cool and there's this apocalyptic event that threatens Darujhistan and
You go into Assail with a few tantalising hints of how awesome and cool and terrifying the place is and
Worst of all, you go into Return of the Crimson Guard thinking that Iron Bars and his mates were awesome and cool, and then you end up reading about the most miserably boring group of the lot for literally several books.

I do think if you picked them up knowing nothing about Erikson's books, you'd probably have an objectively more enjoyable time with them (taking them on their own merit). Assuming you got more than 20% of the way through RotCG.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

TBH I liked RotCG because I was dreading reading another one of his books after Night of Knives, but he improved so much from one to the next that I was pleasantly surprised.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

D-Pad posted:

The only Esselmont books I've read are the Kellanved/Dancer prequels and I really liked them. Do people not consider them good?

They are one of the rare examples of a work that actively makes the earlier books worse.

The Malazan world was full of cool hints and glimpses at a bigger world and an exciting history, then these prequels came along and slapped a coat of young adult paint over the lot of it.

All those important people from the history of the entire Malazan empire, turns out they were all there together at the start, every single one of them, right down to the people who were only squaddies decades later.

Whiskeyjack got his name because he was called Jack, and then he was drinking whiskey. The highlight of a naming session that destroyed any sense of wonder from the originals.

All those cool things happening in the main series, like the K'Chain Kmalle and Jaghut returning? Turns out that actually the Malazans have met them loads of times before.

The prequels are just Star Wars expanded universe novels, they reduce everything down to the most basic and childish parts.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

bucketybuck posted:

Whiskeyjack got his name because he was called Jack, and then he was drinking whiskey. The highlight of a naming session that destroyed any sense of wonder from the originals.
What happened to the whole "bird that steals" thing about his sister from Hood's temple? That was actually an interesting origin, how stupid.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

bucketybuck posted:

What? No. His birth name was Iskar Jarak. But you are correct that Braven Tooth was pretty simple with nicknames (side-eyeing Fiddler here).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lucid Nonsense posted:

What? No. His birth name was Iskar Jarak. But you are correct that Braven Tooth was pretty simple with nicknames (side-eyeing Fiddler here).
Have I got some news about ICE's later books for you there...

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
I don't remember who it was, but Whiskeyjack was named for drinking whiskey in the second (?) Path to acendency book. Fiddler was named by Whiskeyjack during their trip into rarakku. Fiddler thinks about it in House of chains.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Yeah, looks like I was talking smack based on a thought I had in my second read through. It's the Anibar who called him Iskar.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Yeah, looks like I was talking smack based on a thought I had in my second read through. It's the Anibar who called him Iskar.

I think in MbotF it's almost perfectly ambiguous whether Iskar Jarak is a corruption of Whiskeyjack, or if Whiskeyjack is a very lazy pun given by Braven Tooth, and I'm so salty that Esslemont ruined the joke.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I think "jarak" might also be the Seven Cities word for a whiskeyjack bird, or some similar bird.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Nicely demonstrating my original point that the prequels actively ruin the originals.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Started reading Memories of Ice this week. Already having a blast. It's such a good feeling to start a book that begins with two prologues (and 3 epigrams) and instead of thinking "oh christ, really?" I'm actually 100% confident that it's all going to be worth it and not waste my time.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Starting Memories of Ice for a reread and can’t wait for certain stuff to happen! It’s a good one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Memories is definitely the book in the series that took me from "ok, this series is pretty good so far" to "holy poo poo Erikson is the greatest fantasy author alive." Incredibly well paced with phenomenal unforgettable battles, connected by tons of little character moments and setting tidbits that make it very rewarding to revisit.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Same. Memories is great, possibly my favorite. Midnight Tides is the other possibility for me

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I meant to read Midnight Tides before Deadhouse Gates this time but I forgot. It totally makes sense that Memories of Ice was written first before it was lost.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm a Midnight Tides/Reaper's Gale guy myself, give me that sweet sweet Letheras.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates and it finally got good! I was enjoying it the whole time, except for the dreadful Felisin parts, but was very much a bunch of people (different groups of people!) wandering around a desert having lovely things happen to them. Now stuff has really started happening. There were some surprises, like I expected Kalam taking to book to Sha'ik to be a significant part of his story but nope he gets it and the next time we see him he's delivering it. Pretty funny. Still dunno what the deal with the Red Blades is but apparently they all died anyway.

The ghost ship of beheaded corpses is sick, love a good spook and it's a good way to further characterize people who have already had a really lovely time.

Climax of the battle at the river, where we finally get to see Coltaine in action and the Malazan sappers doing their thing, is the first part of the book that's been a real page turner for me. Having it from Duiker's perspective was a great choice.

As always Mappo and Icarium remain fun to follow and I'm glad they ran into Fiddler and co, who were doing nothing interesting before that.

Feel like I've got a grasp on how Erikson writes now and what to expect from the structure of further books. Love the one-off drops of info that seem rather important like Shadowthrone and Cotillion are Kellenvad and Dancer - am guessing that has some pretty significant implications for learning more about the past and future of the story.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fobby posted:

I think "jarak" might also be the Seven Cities word for a whiskeyjack bird, or some similar bird.

It's also the name of the Canada Jay, and SE is canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_jay

And it's connected to the mythological figure Wisakedjak, also called Whiskeyjack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisakedjak

Seeing as he's an anthropologist, I'm sure it's not accidental.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

my bony fealty posted:

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates and it finally got good! I was enjoying it the whole time, except for the dreadful Felisin parts, but was very much a bunch of people (different groups of people!) wandering around a desert having lovely things happen to them. Now stuff has really started happening. There were some surprises, like I expected Kalam taking to book to Sha'ik to be a significant part of his story but nope he gets it and the next time we see him he's delivering it. Pretty funny. Still dunno what the deal with the Red Blades is but apparently they all died anyway.

The ghost ship of beheaded corpses is sick, love a good spook and it's a good way to further characterize people who have already had a really lovely time.

Climax of the battle at the river, where we finally get to see Coltaine in action and the Malazan sappers doing their thing, is the first part of the book that's been a real page turner for me. Having it from Duiker's perspective was a great choice.

As always Mappo and Icarium remain fun to follow and I'm glad they ran into Fiddler and co, who were doing nothing interesting before that.

Feel like I've got a grasp on how Erikson writes now and what to expect from the structure of further books. Love the one-off drops of info that seem rather important like Shadowthrone and Cotillion are Kellenvad and Dancer - am guessing that has some pretty significant implications for learning more about the past and future of the story.

That book is absolutely crammed full of amazing poo poo happening. I am happy you are getting to enjoy it for the first time, I remember how blown away I was by the end.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

It's also the name of the Canada Jay, and SE is canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_jay

And it's connected to the mythological figure Wisakedjak, also called Whiskeyjack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisakedjak

Seeing as he's an anthropologist, I'm sure it's not accidental.

Thats pretty interesting actually. I had assumed after I read the main books that his name being translated loosely to whiskey jack was one of those western type nicknames for a foreign name thats hard to say.

Like with some Vietnamese names where the traditional pronunciation might have that cluck sound that westerners can struggle with so it becomes like "win" for "ngyuen".

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Finished 5 so I'm half-way through the main series. My ranking is 3>5>2=4>1.

Debating whether to read the Esselemont stuff or save it for later. Skipping Night of The Knives for sure since nobody particularly likes that one and the summaries make it sound boring.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Night of Knives is bad. Return of the Crimson Guard has a consequential plot point when read in sequence (between RG and TtH). Also, in terms of writing it's much better than Night of Knives, but still not equal to the main books. I didn't hate reading it and even read the next few. But nothing important happens in any of them so you don't need to read them

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I personally recommend skipping the Esslemont books as they're not written nearly as well and don't really add that much to the greater plot.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I do think the Esselmont books are better on a second read.
It's just that they're mostly* not very good on a first read.

* - the Path to Ascension books are an enjoyable read

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Power through the 10 then go back and read em if you are desperate for the other (less interesting) pieces of the puzzle.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
You miss little not reading them til done with MBotF, and whether or not you think they're good, they're different. So if you're looking for more SE writing, read his other stuff. If you're just looking for more Malazan, then read the ICE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is there anything interesting/fun in them?

I mostly read the Malazan series for the outre and fun stuff and I've largely checked out on the lore so puzzle pieces aren't attractive. I'll just read a wiki

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 12, 2023