Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Meanwhile I plan on using this bolt until it's last bolt falls off and could only dream at the idea of paying for the entire cost of a car out of pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cruft posted:

Building cars isn't easy, folks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All cars are poo poo

That's what's difficult, to build cars that people want, but which are in reality a piece of poo poo that will cost their owners lots of $$$ and get them to keep buying new pieces of poo poo again and again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

I kinda like the iX. Isn't the model X also selling like poo poo?

There's an iX that parks at my work, the interior looks extremely comfortable.

I love the iX interior and don’t care about it’s weird and ugly exterior but my problem with it is due to huge battery and mediocre efficiency and marginal charging speed/network it’s going to be poo poo at road tripping so I’d have to take one of my gas cars and then I’d be sitting in my gas car on a road trip thinking man I sure wish I could be in that BMW interior.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bobfather posted:

Supercruise isn’t very good anyway. A Comma 3x does better and for much cheaper.

Please don’t give an old man an auto drive system some Linux guy made in their garage

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Tiny Timbs posted:

Please don’t give an old man an auto drive system some Linux guy made in their garage

The mistake is thinking of any of these systems as “auto-drive” instead of “great lane keep assist.”

The Comma is objectively great lane keep assist, easily better than Chevy’s pay to play system.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I just had a look on auto trader and audi e-tron gt used prices are pretty low. I see a 2022 for $56k, 50% depreciation in a year. Wow

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/687556694

That particular car has a branded title, as disclosed in the ad

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What does that mean?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

slidebite posted:

What does that mean?

It means it either got completely wrecked or is some kind of lemon, typically.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nitrox posted:

That particular car has a branded title, as disclosed in the ad

Where does it say that? My eyes glazed over trying to read the boiler plate word salad. The pictures contain a notice saying the rear transmission got replaced so there’s that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It means it either got completely wrecked or is some kind of lemon, typically.

Oh, so like a salvage title?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

slidebite posted:

Oh, so like a salvage title?

Yeah, salvage is one type of title brand. If you look on the link the car in question is a lemon law car that had to have its rear transmission replaced. It's a different brand but still impacts the value severely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s got a clear accident history and presumably still has its warranties so that still seems like a decent gamble

fwiw I dumped my 2018 WRX after a similar process where it only got fixed after being in the shop for months and getting. Subaru engineer out. Just got fed up with it even though the issue got resolved.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 22, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the issue with the branded title will be that people won't want to loan money on it, and insurers won't want to insure it, but maybe that is just salvage titles.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Evil Robot posted:

Went to a bunch of Hyundai dealerships today. They're a bit higher on the sale price than I expected for the Ioniq 6 Limited RWD - net cap cost $45,265. I don't qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit so I'm interested in Hyundai since they're throwing that in as a lease rebate. I plan to immediately buy out the car from the lease. With my tax situation, the Ioniq kind of the in the Tesla Model 3 LR range (a few $k cheaper) but Hyundai doesn't have a lovely leader and I think the Ioniq 6 looks better / the Limited actually has a bunch more features.

Oh and it looks great in red.

EDIT: Oh and Hyundai is throwing in a free L2 charger and $600 towards a 240v install, so that's nice too. Plus the 2 years of free EA charging.

Whitehowler's experience with haveing to fight Hyundai to diagnose and fix the cooling pump issue has me leery of a all the e-GMPs until that gets an official recall.

bird with big dick posted:

Let me know if they actually have a Hummer EV I'll buy it

Maybe if my local dealer would drop the +$15k "market adjustment" someone would buy theirs!

https://www.carrbuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2022-GMC-HUMMER_EV-e4WD_Crew_Cab_Edition_1-VANCOUVER-WA/5651149110

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rusty posted:

I feel like the issue with the branded title will be that people won't want to loan money on it, and insurers won't want to insure it, but maybe that is just salvage titles.
This is correct, most banks don't want to touch a branded title of any kind. And even a repaired lemon law car will be sold at the auction, not through manufacturers certified used dealership inventory. Some manufacturers like Tesla will stop issuing updates, or at least they did some years ago according to Rich Rebuilds. The insurance is attainable, but is guaranteed to be higher.

There is a reason the theme of Car commendation thread is "no rentals, no branded titles, ever".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla bans salvaged cars from their supercharger network too.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Nitrox posted:

And even a repaired lemon law car will be sold at the auction, not through manufacturers certified used dealership inventory.

Depends on the brand. Ford usually has a few dealers that sign up to be the dumping ground for reselling buyback vehicles once they get repaired.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

darnon posted:

Depends on the brand. Ford usually has a few dealers that sign up to be the dumping ground for reselling buyback vehicles once they get repaired.

By definition wouldn't a dealer have tried to repair a car returned via a lemon law several times already?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

By definition wouldn't a dealer have tried to repair a car returned via a lemon law several times already?

Sometimes Lemon Law can be triggered just by parts delays pushing the repair past 30 days or whatever the state's threshold is. The vehicle can be perfectly fixable, it's just waiting for parts and the owner didn't want to wait. That's been common the past 3 years due to Covid royally loving supply chains. Or after executing the buyback the OEM ships it to have their own internal master mechanics have a try at fixing it.

darnon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

darnon posted:

Sometimes Lemon Law can be triggered just by parts delays pushing the repair past 30 days or whatever the state's threshold is. That's been common the past 3 years. Or after executing the buyback the OEM ships it to have their own internal master mechanics have a try at fixing it.

Yeah it can be time in shop or number of times returned to shop for the same issue. I didn't quite have to lemon law my WRX but I got right up to the threshold, just because the dealer was trying different things to fix the issue before giving in and calling corporate.

If I was single and didn't have to risk a lifetime of "I told you so" that Audi deal would be hard for me to resist lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Having already had an Audi already grenade an engine despite being extremely good with regular maintenance the prospect of any Audi is scary enough and one that has a history would be too terrifying to even consider.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: sorry, awful.app hosed me up aGAIN

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Failson posted:

Whitehowler's experience with haveing to fight Hyundai to diagnose and fix the cooling pump issue has me leery of a all the e-GMPs until that gets an official recall.

Maybe if my local dealer would drop the +$15k "market adjustment" someone would buy theirs!

https://www.carrbuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2022-GMC-HUMMER_EV-e4WD_Crew_Cab_Edition_1-VANCOUVER-WA/5651149110

I found one at the local GMC dealer, trying to work a 2 for 1 trade for it since I figure it can replace my Tesla and my Bronco.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I found one at the local GMC dealer, trying to work a 2 for 1 trade for it since I figure it can replace my Tesla and my Bronco.

You won't.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You won't.

I might.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You wouldn't!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
someone should set that thing on fire, do it op

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

You wouldn't!

I could!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do it, you won’t op

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I gotta wait for my lawsuit to pay out then I will for sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have played way too much call of duty driving the hummer EV that I would immediately try to climb out onto its roof or try to ramp it over a ditch

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

what was this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OMG DO IT

bird with a big truck

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I was wondering who would be the first goon ITT to post they'd bought that thing. BWBD is the obvious pick, you nut.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I've been looking at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and was wondering how much weight to give having a heat pump? They apparently only put the heat pump on the AWD vehicles which means giving up 40 miles of range and paying $3900 more (but gaining HP/torque). This would be in the DC area, though I do take trips up into NY state a few times a year and less far north more often.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

fordan posted:

This would be in the DC area,

Get the heat pump

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah you want a heat pump. You’ll have reduced hot weather range, but any time you would run a resistive heater you’d probably gain like 20-35% range.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

It can't be more trouble-prone than the Bronco, right? I think you need to find out.

Evil Robot posted:

what was this?

Whitehowler discovered that the motor cooling pump wasnt functioning at freeway speed, and sending the car into limp mode. The car wasn't logging the failure, and he had to fight Hyundai to get them to fix it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fordan posted:

I've been looking at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and was wondering how much weight to give having a heat pump? They apparently only put the heat pump on the AWD vehicles which means giving up 40 miles of range and paying $3900 more (but gaining HP/torque). This would be in the DC area, though I do take trips up into NY state a few times a year and less far north more often.

Heat pump and AWD are worth it imo

But Hyundai sucks rear end so maybe neither?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do I remember correctly that the Hyundai twins AWD range is less compromised in the real world than the EPA rating, because they disconnect the second set of motors in eco mode? Or did I make that up in a fever dream?

Hyundai sucks, and that oil pump issue is pretty bad, but they are making the most interesting, affordable EVs besides Tesla.