Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Yes, I am mad online, please put in the papers that I am mad.

Stealing my bit, you should be ashamed! Also I don't have the photoshop ability, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Lum_ posted:

I would normally let this pass but given an IK just put a "don't post racist poo poo" note on my profile, this makes me unhappy for some reason! So, sources:

Hamas Covenant: https://irp.fas.org/world/para/docs/880818.htm

(ok, so it doesn't quote from it, it merely cites it as proof. so much better.)

Abbas' PhD thesis: The Other Side: The Secret Relationship Between Nazism and Zionism

From a recent speech this year: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/07/palestinian-president-condemned-mahmoud-abbas-holocaust-remarks

Note: I am *not* asserting that all Arabs are anti-semitic, or that this justifies what's currently happening in Gaza, or indeed that there isn't a deep undercurrent of Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism in Israeli discourse (there absolutely is). I merely responded to another poster who expressed disbelief that the Palestinian leadership indulged in conspiracy theories. As shown above, this is not "saying racist poo poo", it's recounting documented fact.

Yes, I am mad online, please put in the papers that I am mad.

Vent’s loving up tbqh. Understandably so since he needs to keep this thread straightened out in general but homie just don’t give a gently caress. “Haha it’s just a sixer, deal with it even if i disparage you on your rap sheet.”

Yeah nah gently caress off with that FrozenVent. Do the right thing dude or at least get the rap sheet entries right.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I was fine with a 6 hour break (I spent it drinking and killing demons) and to be fair he didn't literally put "don't put racist poo poo" on my rap sheet, but the implication is pretty clear. Plus I'm mad online.

Kchama posted:

Stealing my bit, you should be ashamed!

...dril? is that you?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?lang=en

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm more than happy to have been in the splash zone of the carpet bombing if it means we don't keep. bringing. up. that. subject.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I was fine with a 6 hour break (I spent it drinking and killing demons) and to be fair he didn't literally put "don't put racist poo poo" on my rap sheet, but the implication is pretty clear. Plus I'm mad online.

...dril? is that you?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?lang=en

Nah, I just did that "I'm mad! Put it in the paper that I'm mad! a couple weeks ago someone photoshopped KCHAMA IS MAD into a newspaper so I got a laugh in remembrance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

As someone with an inaccurate rap sheet, I feel you.

Rap Sheet entries are largely bullshit anyway, because unless it's a simple thing like "Don't say the N word" or something completely subjective, it's the whims of the Mod doing the entry.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jesus Christ goons. Please don’t make me log into my desktop to hand out probes. There is no joy in moderation. Crying about how unjust your sixer was is not posting about this thread’s topic which should be the Hamas/Israeli War.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
yall got more probes than nasa wtf

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/centcom/status/1715928363624521761?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Carrier was previously announced. New announcement is deployment of Army air defense units to CENTCOM, plus unspecified orders put on PTDO.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, not a surprise with the Iraqi militias starting to get noisy. remains to be seen if hezbollah (and by direct extension iran) are rational enough to be deterred or if they even believe the implicit US threat to jump in.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
iran has some domestic issues right now and i cant imagine they've got soldiers to spare

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

yall got more probes than nasa wtf

Both NASA and the mod team is critically underfunded.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
So this was just posted a few minutes ago and now it's been hidden by twitter. Does anyone know if the guy is posting bullshit or wtf is going on here?

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1716278455677923711?s=20

The images are just text and what I'm assuming is Ramzi Yousef in a prison jumpsuit, nothing awful to view.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Someone in the D&D thread found out what it was as well. It legitimately does seem they're passing off a book with a conveniently scary name & "Al-Qaeda" in English on the cover as super secret plans for doom weapons. And journalists are stupid enough or corrupt enough to go with it.

Noise Complaint posted:

This is just the cover of a 2010 book about an Al-Qaeda leader, Ramzy Youssef, called The Provisions of Jihad in Islam.

You can download it right off of archive.org in PDF format.

I can give the direct link if anyone wants proof, but wasn't sure if that would be filez.

Edit: looks like other people found it as well

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1716278455677923711

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 23, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The ol' Dubya play.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

And journalists are stupid enough or corrupt enough to go with it.

This has been almost all journalism for the last decade. It's a combination of both, usually. Everything has been dialed up to 11 since COVID. It's literally stressing global society.

In particular the attempt here is just stupid.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

journalism has always been vulnerable to prioritizing sensational reporting but with the maturation of the information age it's gotten way worse as attention becomes the most valuable commodity

facts matter less and less as the Oh poo poo! Factor becomes more and more important

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The occupiers having a completely normal one

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1716462311370633484?t=z26CaaoE9_V-Q7RMp3hnpQ&s=19

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I guess one way to get around citing sources is to just omit the image and tell people to use their imaginations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wait I thought Elon was all about freeze peach on the bird app now

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Wait I thought Elon was all about freeze peach on the bird app now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that would likely be eu laws against disinfo preventing that if anything

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I guess one way to get around citing sources is to just omit the image and tell people to use their imaginations.

They showed a bunch of reporters unedited body cam footage from the terrorists chock full of horrors and gore to shock them into being okie-dokie with the upcoming horrors and gore of the ground campaign.

Isn’t Abrahamic religion just the loving coolest?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Borscht posted:

Isn’t Abrahamic religion just the loving coolest?

In case you were wondering, this is where you crossed the line.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1716541269718061301

quote:

Breaking News: Hamas released two hostages, the Red Cross confirmed. They are the second pair of hostages released by the group in recent days.

As a bright note, at least it sounds like Hamas is releasing some of their hostages despite Israel reportedly playing hard ball on the matter.

I recall one of the stated Hamas war goals was to use all those hostages to secure the release of a lot of prisoners held by the Israelis, but as far as I can tell there's been no reporting on it being a hostage/prisoner exchange.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/23/hamas-releases-two-women-held-hostage-after-egyptian-qatari-diplomacy

quote:

Hamas releases two women held hostage after Egyptian-Qatari diplomacy

Palestinian group says two women released for ‘humanitarian reasons and poor health grounds’.

Obeida had previously stated that Hamas offered to free two additional captives alongside Judith and Natalie last Friday, but were rebuffed by Israeli authorities.

With both sides having an image to keep up, it's hard to tell whether it was a genuine humanitarian release or a release in exchange for something(prisoners, humanitarian support) and Israel just wasn't willing to pay the price for a couple more freed hostages, though I lean towards the latter since the other two hostages were apparently the two older womens' husbands and thus in the same age category, and you'd figure that if it was a "humanitarian and health grounds"-reason, they'd have fallen under the same umbrella.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Judging from the pictures taken after their release, they both probably have serious health conditions that Hamas was in no way ready to deal with what with their hospitals under bombardment and running out of supplies. Hamas claims they've been trying to release them since Saturday and Israel has been ignoring them.

The hostage release Israel torpedoed was a larger release of all hostages with foreign passports (50) and Israel refused to permit any fuel to enter Gaza which was one of the demands.

As for why they're doing this - the US and other negotiators are trying to get Israel to delay the ground offensive while negotiations for hostage releases continue.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
How could Israel possibly allow fuel into Gaza—do people really expect them to fill the tanks of Hamas's legions of Panzers?!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I think the situation is clear and the optics for Israel suck as they're mostly perpetuating this harm, to harm at this point.

The bigger question is when they wake up and realize how lovely they look because this is just not good. Pretty sure the body count is just rising from here and will accelerate from water shortages.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The bigger question is when they wake up and realize how lovely they look because this is just not good. Pretty sure the body count is just rising from here and will accelerate from water shortages.

Plenty of voters will demand the cruelty increase. Why would they want it to stop?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think the situation is clear and the optics for Israel suck as they're mostly perpetuating this harm, to harm at this point.

I don't really think Israel cares about the optics much. I think it's been proven that few major governments will actually care beyond words and considering that only ~9% of the Israeli popular vote went to parties not in favour of "business as usual" during the last elections, most Israeli voters seem to not mind the general levels of cruelty either or want them to be higher.

The only part of it I would imagine moves the Israeli government, appearance-wise, is recovering hostages without being seen as capitulating too hard to any Hamas demands, to recover some of their perception as being tough and competent at security. So they're going to try to recover hostages and trumpet that part, while downplaying any reporting of what they traded for those hostages if it was part of a trade.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

US intelligence is saying with high confidence it wasn't an Israeli munition that caused the hospital blast, but that they also can't attribute it to any specific Palestinian militant group.

Non-paywalled link:

https://wapo.st/409oBGd

quote:

The ultimate assessment that the strike was not the result of an Israeli weapon was based on two primary factors, the officials said. First, the damage from the strike was consistent with a rocket, and not an Israeli munition, such as a bomb dropped from the air or an artillery round, which would have caused significant structural damage to the hospital building and left a large crater. Videos and images show “only light structural damage,” one of the officials said.

Second, analysts were able to track the trajectory based on videos shot from four locations. Two cameras captured the flight of the projectile, which analysts judge to have been launched within the Gaza Strip, the official said. The rocket then traveled northeast, and about 10 seconds after launch, the motor became unstable, the official said. The rocket’s plume fluctuated in intensity, and a few seconds later, analysts observed a large flash. That, the official said, was the motor failing.

As a result of the failure, the rocket changed direction, the official said. The rocket came apart and the motor struck the ground, followed by the warhead, which landed at the hospital and caused a large explosion, the official said.

In the days since the strike, analysts have scoured open sources looking for any debris at the site that might tie the projectile to Israel, but they have found none, the official said. No Palestinians have come forward with such evidence as they would be expected to do if they had proof that Israel was to blame, the official added.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, NYT disagrees with their video analysis (but doesn’t know what exactly happened)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/24/world/middleeast/gaza-hospital-israel-hamas-video.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Based upon the second paragraph in my quote block, it sounds like the US has access to footage that the news media hasn't seen. And since it hasn't been made available to the public yet, I'm guessing it's not OSINT.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

America would dearly like the hospital carpark bombing to be attributed to Hamas so I am not sure why the CIA would be considered for one millisecond as an authoritive source for this. It's not like the CIA et al are not known for routinely making up and spreading facts to support US interests. I mean, they are so bald faced as to say that they can't show the evidence that they say (trust me bro) that seals it.

In Kahneman's terms, it is a great example of a locating "truth" that will impact future thinking even though the locating truth is known to be biased and incorrect by the observer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Their explanation best fits the existing evidence.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Godholio posted:

Their explanation best fits the existing evidence.

A lot of that evidence was either forged or intentionally misrepresented so I don't think that can be said anymore.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It honestly doesn't even matter, because the only real purpose focusing on this "investigation" serves is to distract from all the other civilians Israel is/has been bombing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It honestly doesn't even matter, because the only real purpose focusing on this "investigation" serves is to distract from all the other civilians Israel is/has been bombing.

That's entirely untrue. If Israel actually targeted that hospital, it absolutely destroys the rapport that's been slowly building up. I'm confident they're going to find some other way to accomplish that, but poo poo hasn't completely imploded yet, so it matters.

Kchama posted:

A lot of that evidence was either forged or intentionally misrepresented so I don't think that can be said anymore.

The videos, or what?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea ok, in a wider context sure, but it doesn't make a difference to the people in Gaza that Israel are still slaughtering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

destroys the rapport that's been slowly building up.

I feel like minute zero after the Hamas attack had a lot of rapport and support, and it all started eroding in the weeks to follow.