Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
im playin stone soup on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
are ya winnin son

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, that does sound good! I wonder how best to get it onto my Steam Deck. Maybe there’s a flatpak.

I will say that the idea of playing DoomRL with a controller rather than keyboard or keyboard+mouse gives me the jibblies, but maybe someone's written a nice steam input mapping for it or something -- it has more buttons than JH but isn't in the same league as, say, Nethack or Qud.

You do need to be able to move diagonally though.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 22, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I will say that the idea of playing JH with a controller rather than keyboard or keyboard+mouse gives me the jibblies, but maybe someone's written a nice steam input mapping for it or something -- it has more buttons than JH but isn't in the same league as, say, Nethack or Qud.

You do need to be able to move diagonally though.

JH has exceptional controller support?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It’s been a while but… Jupiter Hell doesn’t have diagonal movement iirc. Maybe it animates it, though? I think the only time I recall moving diagonally is with melee. I feel like perhaps the first reference to Jupiter Hell was meant to refer to DoomRL instead.

Old Kornel quote I’m going to share because it just amuses me:

quote:

"I've had several people send me bug reports of inaccessible levels in DoomRL, turned out that they never noticed there is diagonal movement."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jupiter Hell doesn't have diagonal movement but it will animate it like that if you do two quick steps.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
reminds me i still have not found a way to contact valve about the feature suggestion of making it so you can click radial menus with a button.... it would solve everything :negative:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

victrix posted:

I think there's some DRL/JH mixup happening here

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Whoops,I meant DoomRL

JH works great with a controller

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
DRL I'd imagine would be difficult to play with a controller, what with you very very very much wanting diagonals

Speaking of: man, gently caress the City of Skulls/Abyssal Plains if you don't have a shotgun

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your Computer posted:

reminds me i still have not found a way to contact valve about the feature suggestion of making it so you can click radial menus with a button.... it would solve everything :negative:

I keep hoping they’ll open source Steam Input but I know it’s a long shot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Jupiter Hell doesn't have diagonal movement but it will animate it like that if you do two quick steps.

It also has true diagonal movement if and only if you get a melee kill, in which case you'll automatically step into the slain enemy's tile. There's not much utility to this but it's still there.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.gaslampgames.com/

Definitely didn't see that coming...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
...What in the world?! How, even, logistically, given winds scatterings and whatnot?

Er...look, another promising Roguelike Deckbuilder with an early demo trying to integrate dice and summons:

Himiko's Journey

https://neonnoteitchio.itch.io/himikos-journey

quote:

Dive into a world of nostalgia and thrilling adventure with "Himiko's Journey," a retro roguelike deckbuilding game that captures the essence of classic gaming while giving you a relaxed but challenging space.

Dice-Rolling Thrills: Embrace the unpredictability of each round as the roll of the dice determines your starting resources and card effects. Adapt to ever-changing circumstances and seize victory.

🃏 Over 80 Unique Cards: Craft your deck from a vast collection of over 80 unique cards, each with its own strategic twist. Build and adapt your deck as you progress through an ever-changing world. And there are more to come!

🕹️ Roguelike Challenge: Prepare for an exhilarating challenge where each death marks the beginning of a new adventure. Learn from your mistakes, grow stronger, and face evolving challenges in every playthrough.

🔮 Unique Mechanics: Master a range of captivating mechanics, including poison, frost, burn, dice rolling as well as summoning henchmen. Tailor your strategy to conquer your foes and uncover hidden treasures.

🏆 Unique Artefacts: Discover powerful artefacts that can shift the balance of power in your favor. Collect and harness their unique abilities to overcome even the toughest challenges.

🌟 Visuals That Captivate: Immerse yourself in a visually stunning world that combines retro aesthetics with modern design.

👾 A Passion Project: "Himiko's Journey" is a labor of love, born from a desire to invoke the same magical feelings experienced during classic gaming sessions. It's not about being the best game ever; it's about delivering a fun, enjoyable experience you'll return to time and time again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

See what coming?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

See what coming?

I was under the impression Gas Lamp Games was completely dissolved years ago and now they're teasing something or another.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, clockwork empires kinda fell apart and gaslamp games sort of...disappeared

the general assumption was that they'd bit off a bit more than they could chew and things just really didn't work out financially

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
They're just gaslamping us into thinking a new game is coming.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was under the impression Gas Lamp Games was completely dissolved years ago and now they're teasing something or another.

I guess I don't see what they're teasing, unless the website was down for a while and is now back up or something -- it looks like the same content it had back in 2016.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I’m not seeing anything on the site dated later than 2016.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are you sure? I don't see a post newer than 2016 on there unless I'm missing something

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There's a new little splash screen when you visit the site that might be hinting at something.

I played a bit of Dungeons of Dredmor earlier this year. Went with my old standby of steampunk knight build but bolstered by the immortal science of the Communist skill tree and had a grand ol nostalgic time with it.

If it's a remake or something, my only ask is that the UI scale properly with high resolutions because my crummy eyesight can't handle it these days :corsair:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If you want something slightly more explicit they also have a twitter thread.

It's vague but they're doing something.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

goferchan posted:

Are you sure?

FYI the teaster:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So that's obviously another Dredmor expansion pack, right?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Hopefully they don't touch the original, and just make a new thing entirely. Dev's need to stop touching their classics ffs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Dredmor is also kind of an awful feeling game to play in 2023 and I don't think something on the scale of an expansion pack would improve it enough to be worth a look compared to the ten billion other roguelike and roguelite options that now exist.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ehhh, they already did enough damage to Dredmor...in particular, the final boss got his stats and especially his resists jacked way up. I had a character who killed enemies with relatively weak DoTs and relied on nigh-unlimited invisibility to stay alive. They were literally incapable of damaging the boss with anything except for a small number of extremely rare consumable items, which did maybe 10% of his healthbar.

It used to be that you could just throw a few eldritch bolts at him and he'd die, which made the game (properly) more about the journey than the destination. But as it is, you can't reasonably just pull a random build and expect to be able to win.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It used to be that you could just throw a few eldritch bolts at him and he'd die, which made the game (properly) more about the journey than the destination.

regrettably, the journey sucked.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really appreciate Dredmor existing because it did a lot to catapult more traditional-leaning turn based roguelikes into the public consciousness like how Rogue Legacy did for roguelites, but I don't think I ever really liked it as a game, if that makes sense.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, honestly as a light fun accessible entry into traditional roguelikes Dredmor did have a lot going for it, it just never figured out how to make the basic combat fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was gonna draw a comparison between Rogue Legacy and some kind of catastrophic large scale disaster that changed it's environment for ever but the idea got stuck for ever in early access.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Gaslamp people were posting here, right? Not this thread I'm sure but on the forums. Maybe one of them will pop in and give us the inside gossip.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dredmor had some serious issues, but I love how it approached character building. Being presented with a big selection of skill trees and getting to choose anything you want, and knowing that as long as you chose some offense, you'd be able to make it a decent ways into the game at least, was pretty cool.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My major issue with Dredmor is that it took way too long to do anything. If I saw a threat room stuffed full of monsters I knew I'd be spending the next 20 minutes clearing it out because of all the animations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I look back on Dredmor fondly but I'll probably never play it again, heh.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dredmor is another game I haven't played since the final boss killed me.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I will say that Dredmor’s “Monster Zoo” music that played whenever you stumbled upon a surprise vault has been burned into my brain. Whenever I run into a similar situation in a roguelike today, the track starts up in my head involuntarily

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dredmor did what ADOM Ultimate tried which was make class creation fun.

e:

actually I like adom ultimates class creation

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

path of achra is a really refined dredmor in some ways, i think it scratches a similar itch for me of assembling an insane rube goldberg build