Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
didn't keir demote lisa towns anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You're really going to have to start screenshotting my guy, nobody can see the tweet being replied to or the comments unless they're signed in, and nobody's signed in any more.

Hm - I can see them and I'm not signed in (for the sake of my sanity right now)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

didn't keir demote lisa towns anyway?
She's Lisa Villages now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Unionist leaning press here now seem to have decided the next tactic is to scare the people of The Republic about the prospect of having a load of pissed off, miserable Northerners dumped on them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Savage burn for Marianna Cringe…

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Hitler had no plans to invade the UK because he genuinely expected us to side with them, and we probably would have done were it not for pesky conventions we had already committed to. A lot of people seem to have memory holed that our Royal Family were strong Nazi supporters before publicly being a Nazi was deemed unfashionable.

Edward VIII was absolutely fash. I'm not sure you can blame a what 7 year old for what he's encouraging her to do there, though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sanford posted:

The main chat in my friend group is “loving nazis stole all the cool symbols.” That and “who exactly is coming out to bat for Rudolph Hess of all people in this day and age?”
'will no-one consider the plight of noble Hess' was definitely something the fash would bang on about in the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUQu5K8lp8

not sure why they've revived it now tho :shrug:

cruella was not pleased with that, and basically told them publicly 'no, gently caress that, gently caress them, gently caress you, go crack some skulls'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought she wanted police to be solving robberies instead of policing hurtful speech now, or has that changed?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

smellmycheese posted:

The Unionist leaning press here now seem to have decided the next tactic is to scare the people of The Republic about the prospect of having a load of pissed off, miserable Northerners dumped on them.

This is something you'd see online for years.

"The South don't want us, and I don't blame them, we'd cost them so much it'd bankrupt them" or "The South don't want the threat of armed violence in their borders" and the like are arguments you'd hear every now and then. Presumably when the DUP was running the show they felt Loyalism had too much dignity for that kind of self-effacing talk, but now that the UVF drug lords are apparently becoming more and more relevant to their electorate (or at least their media) perhaps we'll see a change in tac.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Belfast telegraph article is paywalled but I'm guessing the general vibe is 'you don't actually want us because we really suck'.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I don't think we are particularly inclined to listen to the DUP about anything really.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

tbf the expectation that the North would be an economic drag on the Republic after unification has a decent foundation, but it sort of assumes that it's A) Not something that could be solved and B) Not something the EU might be willing to spend some money solving.

Also very funny that a part of the mighty, powerful, strong, respected UK is being touted as so much poorer than what was until recently an impoverished basketcase on the periphery of Europe.

Not that it matters anyway because once a referendum rolls around, there's going to be plenty of disinformation, but I suspect that the economics will be a pretty distant secondary consideration against the fact that Unification has been the overriding political objective of Republicans for a full century now, and conversely remaining with the UK has been just as fervently the only thing that matters to the Loyalists. Even if there are studies on the economic consequences that are both convincing and accepted, an awful lot of people will say "I'm willing to take the economic hit because I feel that the destiny of our nation is a more important matter."

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

... an awful lot of people will say "I'm willing to take the economic hit because I feel that the destiny of our nation is a more important matter."

Yep, i feel that all right.

Don't have kids but plenty of nephews, nieces and then all their kids (of both faiths)... i think i want them living in a better place and within the EU seems to be it. :shrug:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abg_ct-WHtI

crispix posted:

Pro-Palestinian protesters hold Belfast rally

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-67180423

We attended the protest.

From the BBC NI article on the protests:

One death toll reported as fact by the BBC, carried out by evil gunmen. One greater death toll 'said' to have happened by clinical air strikes.

I know the thread has been subject to a lot of Israel/Palestine stuff lately, but I really can't get over the BBC's stance on this, especially in this corner of the UK where there is a lot of support for the people of Palestine. I won't make any more posts on the topic.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Loving the whole "We're jewish therefore our protest is more peaceful and sane than that of those filthy pigs"

Both sides are pathetic and egg eachother on then cry wolf. Doesn't help that this country has clearly taken a side by policy.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 22, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What if Northern Ireland becoming part of the RoI gives them a taste for land expansion. Wales and Cornwall next, then Scotland, soon those bastards would invade and take over England and replace our monarchy with a leprechaun or something.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

What if Northern Ireland becoming part of the RoI gives them a taste for land expansion. Wales and Cornwall next, then Scotland, soon those bastards would invade and take over England and replace our monarchy with a leprechaun or something.

They're the same picture

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Dalriada shall rise again!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1l_Riata

That one might leave the DUP feeling conflicted. :rubby:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I know the thread has been subject to a lot of Israel/Palestine stuff lately, but I really can't get over the BBC's stance on this, especially in this corner of the UK where there is a lot of support for the people of Palestine. I won't make any more posts on the topic.

You'll remember all the times the Beeb straight-facedly reported that the IRA, basically muck savage troglodytes, had to be trained to comprehend the power of fire in the middle east by venerable, wizened foreigners.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker posted:

Dalriada shall rise again!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1l_Riata

That one might leave the DUP feeling conflicted. :rubby:

it tickles me that the saltire is flown here as a symbol of british unity lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's got to be confusing for visiting glaswegian loyalists

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm surprised there hasn't been any media spotlight on the fact that each bed on the Bibi Stockholm costs £7,300 per night. I thought I was loving up my maths, but £1,600,000,000 / 548 (days in 18 months) / 400 (beds on barge) comes to that figure.

e: Keith's trying to do some damage control, while still condoning the ongoing war crimes

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1716194231885209795

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 22, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't see how the so-called two state solution wouldn't just end up as bantustans but with official UN recognition, which is worse than bantustans that don't get that.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Looking forward to renaming 'Greater London' to 'Greater Dublin-don'

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Not Derrylondon?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Free ebook from Verso Books:

https://www.versobooks.com/en-gb/products/370-ten-myths-about-israel

Illan Pappe - Ten Myths About Israel.

quote:

In this groundbreaking book, published on the fiftieth anniversary of the Occupation, the outspoken and radical Israeli historian Ilan Pappe examines the most contested ideas concerning the origins and identity of the contemporary state of Israel.

The “ten myths” that Pappe explores—repeated endlessly in the media, enforced by the military, accepted without question by the world’s governments—reinforce the regional status quo. He explores the claim that Palestine was an empty land at the time of the Balfour Declaration, as well as the formation of Zionism and its role in the early decades of nation building. He asks whether the Palestinians voluntarily left their homeland in 1948, and whether June 1967 was a war of “no choice.” Turning to the myths surrounding the failures of the Camp David Accords and the official reasons for the attacks on Gaza, Pappe explains why the two-state solution is no longer viable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cheers for letting me know about this - and it also let me realise that Verso changed their accounts system so I was able to convert my account to the new system with no fuss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Edward VIII was absolutely fash. I'm not sure you can blame a what 7 year old for what he's encouraging her to do there, though.

Also the "film" wasn't a secret, it was public knowledge because it was international diplomacy. By the 1930s the Royal Family were already basically just there to smile and wave politely at foreign heads of state, and that's exactly what they were doing here - sending a message of congratulation to the newly elected leader of Germany. You might as well say the entire world is fascist because they sent teams to the 1936 Olympics.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The Israel-Palestine conflict is about as morally complicated as loving star wars* and the only people determined to make out otherwise are doing so out of a desire to obfuscate the reality to justify their crimes against humanity, convince me otherwise.

*I don't really remember but I may be paraphrasing a tweet I saw ages ago here.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1715831839502323760

I read in another tweet that there needs to be a minimum of 53 letters to trigger yet another leadership election. We could have another Tory PM before we get Herr Keith

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Steppeth forward Liz Truss

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1715831839502323760

I read in another tweet that there needs to be a minimum of 53 letters to trigger yet another leadership election. We could have another Tory PM before we get Herr Keith

lol

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
For family reasons i had to drive from Sheffield to Norwich and back this weekend and between roadworks and flooding it was a loving nightmare. Would much rather have taken the train but somehow that would have been far more expensive. Transport infrastructure in this country is so hosed. I'm absolutely knackered.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Diet Crack posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

The Israel-Palestine conflict is about as morally complicated as loving star wars*

Aha! So you admit Jewish space lasers are real

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thank you for this, I have also read 'The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine' by the same author and found it to be very well written.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Diet Crack posted:

I nominate Michael Fabricant's wig. It'll be the least horrifying PM for years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Runcible Cat posted:

I nominate Michael Fabricant's wig. It'll be the least horrifying PM for years.

All riggghttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted: