Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

Don’t worry about how you look, worry about the results.

Buddy, have you met Golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Buddy, have you met Golf?

My game is shite, so I’ll take anything to be better.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My pilgrimage is now complete.

(It was as glorious as I expected inside. It's like a Golf Galaxy taken to the next level. I didn't want to leave).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve taken a few (unofficial) half days to go to the one near me. Its a great store but theres so much poo poo I want it’s bad for the ole wallet

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Just finished our second round on this golf trip and this course has just as many balls in the rough/woods/hazards as last year so I guess it isn’t a fluke. I’m not spending nearly as much time looking for balls as some guys but I still have gotten 18 ProV1s and about 80-90 balls total after two days. Some of the guys brought backpacks and fanny packs just to toss balls in as they go lol. I think my partner with ~200 balls has the most out of anyone so far. It’ll be fun to see what the total number is after Friday with all 15 guys.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Fall golf is absolutely killing me. Putts are rolling 3 feet extra, and I'm powerless to stop it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Just finished our second round on this golf trip and this course has just as many balls in the rough/woods/hazards as last year so I guess it isn’t a fluke. I’m not spending nearly as much time looking for balls as some guys but I still have gotten 18 ProV1s and about 80-90 balls total after two days. Some of the guys brought backpacks and fanny packs just to toss balls in as they go lol. I think my partner with ~200 balls has the most out of anyone so far. It’ll be fun to see what the total number is after Friday with all 15 guys.

At 10 balls a pound that could become some very expensive return luggage lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You swallow the golf balls and retrieve them once you get home, duh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yesterday, played with three good guys, but 2 were in a cart together and could not play ready golf. Nice guys, fun to be around, but clueless, even though they'd been playing for 30 years. Round? 4:45.

Today, not only were all three other guys ready golfers, but the three ball of women (late 60s?) in front if us were like idealized versions of ready golfers. All walking, all playing as soon as they got to their balls, all being safe. Round? 4:10. Same course.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

In my Thursday league we’re sandwiched between 12 of the slowest fuckers to ever golf and 12 older ladies who are, if anything, a little too zealous about playing quickly. You have maybe 10 seconds from when you put the flag back in the cup to get the hell off the green before balls start raining in.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

In my Thursday league we’re sandwiched between 12 of the slowest fuckers to ever golf and 12 older ladies who are, if anything, a little too zealous about playing quickly. You have maybe 10 seconds from when you put the flag back in the cup to get the hell off the green before balls start raining in.

These ladies were hitting their putts before the putt of the lady before them had stopped rolling. It was so well timed it looked choreographed.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo anything longer than 3 hours drives me insane.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Anyway, shot 2 over for 9 today… by double bogeying the 9th. After I hit the green in reg. I want to murder that greenskeeper for cutting the pin 6 feet from the front of the green on a downslope that then went straight back into a gully.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Holy poo poo anything longer than 3 hours drives me insane.

For 18? lol

A good round around here on a private course on a saturday morning is 3:45 for a 4 some and we're all single digit handicaps. That's us moving quick and no one in front of us.

A bad round around here on a public course on a saturday morning is almost 5 hours, that's with us waiting on every tee box and every fairway, it blows.

I've never seen a 3 hour or sub 3 hour around as a 4 some. The hope is a 4 hour round around here.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I love playing on my own.

Managed to get round in 2 hours, with no one behind or in front of me, and I’m garbage. I’d allocated 3 and a half hours for the game, so had a bit of free time at the end to kill. So spent half an hour chipping onto a secluded green.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

I love playing on my own.

Managed to get round in 2 hours, with no one behind or in front of me, and I’m garbage. I’d allocated 3 and a half hours for the game, so had a bit of free time at the end to kill. So spent half an hour chipping onto a secluded green.

My winter golf used to be me as first out, 2 hours for 18, and it was great. Now, courses are booked solid any time they're open. Covid drove people to golf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

For 18? lol

A good round around here on a private course on a saturday morning is 3:45 for a 4 some and we're all single digit handicaps. That's us moving quick and no one in front of us.

A bad round around here on a public course on a saturday morning is almost 5 hours, that's with us waiting on every tee box and every fairway, it blows.

I've never seen a 3 hour or sub 3 hour around as a 4 some. The hope is a 4 hour round around here.

Yea, near me for a public course on the weekend the best you could possibly hope for is 4 hours or so. 5 is the norm. 6 is a possibility :nsa:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shot a very disappointing 82.

38 on the front 9. 44 on the back.

316 and 309 yard drives though!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Kirios posted:

*narrows eyes, makes stank face*

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I had an off the charts driving day a few rounds ago. I hit 5w off the tee most holes, and had a 272 harder, per the GPS watch. Also forgot how to putt and hit greens. Shot mid-80s.

Yesterday, hit two good drives, excluding par 3s. Shot a 77 because my approach game was lights out and putting was working.

I'm one adjustment away from the senior tour, I can feel it. I'm not sure what that adjustment is, though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Oodles posted:

I’d quite happily play a round of golf with my cock out if it meant my shots went straight.

Don’t worry about how you look, worry about the results.

If I had to swing a flesh colored driver that looked like a giant dildo but hit straight 300 yards 9 times out of 10 I would do it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I shot my personal best, 86, today. Started off with a double, then 5 straight pars, followed by 12 bogeys to finish out. Felt awesome, I’ve never even broken 90 before. Had a few blow up moments but was always able to get up and down for bogey which saved me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I shot my personal best, 86, today. Started off with a double, then 5 straight pars, followed by 12 bogeys to finish out. Felt awesome, I’ve never even broken 90 before. Had a few blow up moments but was always able to get up and down for bogey which saved me.

Congrats!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

i am a moron posted:

*narrows eyes, makes stank face*

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything - but had an excellent front 9 and though I was well on the way to shooting under 80. Ended up getting a couple of double bogeys on 11 and 13 and it just tanked my round. It sucks!

Great course though - Kissing Tree in San Marcos TX.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You aren’t being a jerk I just wish I was in a spot where I was disappointed by an 82 lmao

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

I'm not sure there's any greater feeling than the first time you break 90.

But I wouldn't know, as I've never broken 80.

Played for the first time in 4 months and shot a 94...some absolute gem's off the tee, but my chipping was so bad I was Texas wedging from anything less than 10 yards off the green. Just terrible yanks. I don't regret not making a tee time for an Ireland trip in 2 weeks...

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
After months of lessons I finally felt like it would be worthwhile to get a club fitting. After hitting hundreds of balls over the course 90 minutes, I had to decide between Mizuno JPX 923 and Ping i525. All the numbers were essentially identical, so I went with the Pings because they had a bigger discount. Got a 4-PW, a 50°, and a 56° for $1250.

I’ve never felt more like a real golfer than after finding the right club-shaft combination and hitting 10 flushed draws all within a 10 yard circle. My decade-old Adams 7 iron usually carries around 150. I was carrying 165-170 today with a few hooks but ZERO shots of the hosel, which is the miss I’ve been desperately working to get rid of.

I’m very excited to suck a little less. And more importantly, swing some good looking clubs while I suck.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

I'm not sure there's any greater feeling than the first time you break 90.

But I wouldn't know, as I've never broken 80.

Played for the first time in 4 months and shot a 94...some absolute gem's off the tee, but my chipping was so bad I was Texas wedging from anything less than 10 yards off the green. Just terrible yanks. I don't regret not making a tee time for an Ireland trip in 2 weeks...

I've done both.

Breaking 90 for the first time was the greatest feeling I've had as a golfer. I haven't had a hole in one so that would probably win out, but I still remember the course and my scorecard. You feel like you've finally made it as a golfer - like you're finally decent and no longer embarrassing yourself. You can now play with basically anyone and you won't slow them down. You're accepted into the fraternity. You're now a golfer.

Breaking 80 had none of that to me. It was cool don't get me wrong, but 90 was special.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Played in a revenge-style scramble today and it had a lot of, like, props. It’s only the fourth one of these I’ve done but I’ve never done one with like a bunch of rakes on the green or the hole flanked by mowers. It was a lot of fun and very novel but it was pretty RNG even for golf. I hit a pretty good looking shot into the rake hole, it hopped over the first one only to hit the metal part of another and shoot straight left.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Kirios posted:

I've done both.

Breaking 90 for the first time was the greatest feeling I've had as a golfer. I haven't had a hole in one so that would probably win out, but I still remember the course and my scorecard. You feel like you've finally made it as a golfer - like you're finally decent and no longer embarrassing yourself. You can now play with basically anyone and you won't slow them down. You're accepted into the fraternity. You're now a golfer.

Breaking 80 had none of that to me. It was cool don't get me wrong, but 90 was special.

I would assume at a certain point, the journey of going low becomes more grindey? I feel like the journey to 80's is mostly getting well rounded at the basics, gathering pars and accepting bogeys. At a certain point you've got to be bummed about any inconsistencies in your game and I would assume you'd start leaving most of your buddies in the dust, which playing with better or similar skilled folks has always made me better and enjoy golfing the most.

At this point in my life, I don't have to worry about it!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah you start getting into the territory where you're usually the best golfer of your group and you'll hit shots that amazes the others.

But you know. You know you're not that good, and these people are just scrubs. But it's hard to get mad at your shots and push yourself because oh wow look at him he can get greens in regulation!!!

But you know you're not that good.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I get to golf 18 with my biggest hype-man today. My big brother. I've been sniffing around breaking 80 fo awhile, this could be the day. Par 70 course, so I've got a real chance if I can keep the ball in play, but this course has some really challenging green complexes where they are kind of on a mound and can hand out some real punishment. He's also a very interesting golfer, very creative around the greens, and he rarely knows what the distance to the green is on approach shots is, he just "feels" it. Then he uses this old 3 wood for tons of shots between 250 down to like 170. Bonkers stuff, he pulls off some crazy stuff, he also draws up some shots that could not work under any circumstances, and then they don't, lol.

E: par 71. I'm screwed

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 22, 2023

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I'm right on the edge of breaking 90, so far the best golf feeling in the world for me was 2 eagles in the same round. Both basically identical, driver, 3 wood, 9-10 foot putt. Unfortunately just about every other score was either a double or triple bogey that day :mad:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Trying out the Snell MTB Prime and Prime X tomorrow. Anyone else tried them?

I've tried a dozen PXG balls, performed fine, not great durability. Cut Grey, which performs fine, decent durability.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
If I had two eagles in one round, people would be absolutely sick of hearing about it. I would probably have a shirt made that says, "I Got 2 Eagles In One Round."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Infomaniac posted:

If I had two eagles in one round, people would be absolutely sick of hearing about it. I would probably have a shirt made that says, "I Got 2 Eagles In One Round."

2 Eagles 1 Round

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Fall golf is the best.

I have been working on my swing and, after a period of hitting it like garbage, I’m finally playing well again. I’ve always had a pretty flat backswing and it caused issues when my timing wasn’t on. So, after years of trying to get more upright, I finally did—only to start shanking my irons, normally the best part of my game. The difference in plane totally hosed up my timing.

But after a few weeks of misery, I got synced up again, and now I’m playing great. Which is clutch, because I have some good rounds coming up. I need to get an after video and I’ll post the before/after.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Infomaniac posted:

Seriously. I've been playing for four years and only have three total, mostly because my putting is awful.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve not even had a gross birdie.

Your boy hasn’t broken 100 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I walked 36 on Friday and then played another 36 on Satuday (with carts thank goodness). My body is totally wrecked. But my best round was the last one! I was the worst golfer of the group but after handicaps I was in second place and only barely behind first.