Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

smellmycheese posted:

No sign of a single alien yet I note.

Haha, don't you look foolish now? :smuggo:

Should have hodl'd the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris Roberts going to cry live on stage

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
YEAAAAAAH SHED THEM TEARS!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is the missive of a man I expect to show up at the 6 o'clock news in a missing person's report jesus chris get a grip Chris

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
12 MORE YEARS! 12 MORE YEARS! LOCK HIM UP!

Wait poo poo wrong convention

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who the gently caress is Envision because they put the video together

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Invision?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.envisionstudio.tv/

Huh?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
'Hold the line' with its NFT/BBBY stock implications is a gross thing to put out there as a catchphrase

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ok but did you tho?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
finally over, I may now slumber

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
man what a rush

did you get a good look at those aliens in the last 5 seconds of the trailer package?

They snarled at me!

Specifically at me! I live my life vicariously through Star Citizen!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently there was a gdt going on in the thread, so at the risk od being the twentieth person to ask, but I got an email from cig saying s42 is feature complete...

Is this a lie? What the gently caress?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely true this time and it won't be 90% cut scenes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Popete posted:

It's definitely true this time and it won't be 90% cut scenes

What do you mean this time? Did they say it was before and then pushed it at the nth hour?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It's kinda amazing he's still alive.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Defenestrategy posted:

What do you mean this time? Did they say it was before and then pushed it at the nth hour?

You see, they asked you to ANSWER THE CALL for 2016.

Now they are asking you to HOLD THE LINE for 2024.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The gun play looks very bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I kinda just skipped around but it looks fine, a lot of it was cut scenes so it's hard to get an idea what the actual game play might be like.

Kinda looks like it's going to be a Call of Duty game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to thank jobbo for the color commentary because there is no way I was going to watch that poo poo.

Good to hear that SQ42 is finally feature complete 8 years after its expected release date. It's a great achievement in project management

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Popete posted:

I kinda just skipped around but it looks fine, a lot of it was cut scenes so it's hard to get an idea what the actual game play might be like.

I wanted Wing Commander what the hell is all this shooty marine poo poo.

:negative: I just wanted to fly around and shoot dudes with Mark Hamil and Tony Hawk, just one more time...

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Yes, no other game has ever done gravity guns or physics puzzles before.

Popete posted:

It absolutely looks like whatever generic space fighter/shooter call of duty game from a while back.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Did they announce a new release date for SQ404?!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm sure I could google this but I'm pretty sure they said SQ42 should finally release like 5+ years ago or something *after* the delays. I guess the graphics looked kinda good but stuttery. I wouldn't trust Chris Roberts and this team with a cent of my money, and everything around the game is disgusting hucksterism.

Even if the game released in 2 years (lol no it won't) I bet it'd stutter on a 5090 that doesn't exist yet and a PC built around that.

edit: I pulled my 2 years out of my rear end for their polish/whatever loving animation adding poo poo and optimization schedule.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Did they announce a new release date for SQ404?!

It's in the polishing phase and Chris even said it could take awhile lol

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Holy gently caress I know I'm a sucker for caring and commenting what Reddit says but the posts on r/games about this presentation are insufferable. I hope to god the positive comments are astroturfing because holy poo poo how can you still trust anything Chris Roberts says after over a decade?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

It's in the polishing phase and Chris even said it could take awhile lol

Oh yeah I just watched that part on YouTube lol. The aliens being in 5 seconds of pre-rendered cutscene is a great sign that the game is almost finished.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Defenestrategy posted:

Apparently there was a gdt going on in the thread, so at the risk od being the twentieth person to ask, but I got an email from cig saying s42 is feature complete...

Is this a lie? What the gently caress?

Feature complete probably doesn't mean content complete, especially since they're likely having to polish the gently caress out of the content made a decade ago.

Also they might just be lying. They announced the intent to announce a date later.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's actually clever as a double entendre, I admit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think that looked alright in places, and if you showed it to me without revealing who made it, I'd be interested.
Going to be funny with the PU people thinking all these environments will make it into that though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Deki posted:

Feature complete probably doesn't mean content complete, especially since they're likely having to polish the gently caress out of the content made a decade ago.

Also they might just be lying. They announced the intent to announce a date later.

I mean if they're telling the truth and they are feature complete that is one full step further along than I expected them to ever be. Personally I thought it would be in development hell, and it'd never release and eventually it would become some sort of weird economic prop, like if cig ever fell under enough devs, techs, etc would go unemployed and destroys the economy of *spins wheel* spain, and for that reason SQ42 would never be finished.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Are they even including that much content, that will needed to be complete?

Thought this was just meant to be an "episode 1" so like only a part of a "full game". Which is sort of hilarious in itself that after so long in development.

Very much expecting a lot of cut scene with tiny bits of game play just sort of scattered in, to make it look exactly like a badly made animated movie.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be replaced by SORRY THIS NUMBER IS NOT IN SERVICE in 2032.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It all looks serviceable and yeah if you showed me that and I had no idea about CIG I would be interested to see some gameplay but as it stands I cannot picture them releasing an actual fun and functioning game at this point. I mean the only thing we have to go on is SC which is a complete mess.

It seems unlikely it will have been worth $700 million or whatever they end up spending on it.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
So, I guess this means SQ5404 is _finally_ entering alpha now it's feature complete.

2011 (or 2010 according to some legends) to 2023.

Store Citizer: 12 Years a Pre-Alpha

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I guarantee you their "feature complete" silently involves their own very specific definition of "feature".

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!
Imagine saying something is done but being unable to say when it will be done.
Some high level mental gymnastics going on, olympic level even. Star Mental.

rooth baybee fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 23, 2023

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

This is heresy but maybe SQ404 will be... good?

Guess we'll see in 2025 or maybe 2026

edit: i'm probably being way too optimistic about these dates

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 23, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the best SQ42 can be is going to be a Call of Duty game, which is totally fine but lol at spending 14 years and 3/4 of a billion dollars to make that.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I don't think "feature complete" means anything in CIG-speak, any more than "alpha" does.

It might just mean that someone has finally decided what a Minimally Viable Product for Sq42 would look like, and now they "only" have to make that stuff work.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

I think the best SQ42 can be is going to be a Call of Duty game, which is totally fine but lol at spending 14 years and 3/4 of a billion dollars to make that.

Watching the video again it seems like it’s turned into an “everything game” just like SC, as Chris has been chasing the industry for 11 years now. It wants to be a modern WC, but also have large open ended levels, ground sections, complex physics puzzles, fully realized spaceship interiors, destructible environments, full object interactivity, and a million other things that will never work or even form a cohesive vision.