Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Was tooling around with Nurse for a daily, my biggest hurdle with her remains that she never feels like she's lunging even if I hold my mouse button coming out of a teleport. Like the amount of times I'm visually right on top of a survivor, swing and hit nothing while they run away is mind boggling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

DeathChicken posted:

Was tooling around with Nurse for a daily, my biggest hurdle with her remains that she never feels like she's lunging even if I hold my mouse button coming out of a teleport. Like the amount of times I'm visually right on top of a survivor, swing and hit nothing while they run away is mind boggling

You have a bit of a grace period after you've teleported and in that period of time is when you can move a hair and also lunge at them. Swinging your camera a little bit in the direction of the survivor helps, it feels like it makes your hitbox a little larger and can help with their sudden movements.

Missing is definitely a common thing for what it's worth and something I struggle with a lot even as a nurse main.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tiny Myers posted:

The more baffling thing to me was the loving Hex: Plaything on Doctor. Why do you want Oblivious on Doctor whose entire job is to have survivors in his TR screaming :psyduck:

Doctor's Static Blast range is determined by his terror radius (meaning TR modifying perks help it) BUT the survivor can be oblivious and still be affected. Though they'll still hear the "thummmmm" startup sound effect.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Been seeing more tunnelling builds. Clowns mostly, a few knights corner hooking. Let them go into ghost/pop em with bottles to catch up. Clown is especially devious because you will always be caught up with by the time your protection expires. Unless someone comes and takes a hit for you and even then sometimes. I feel like singularity could get mileage out of it too. No one runs DS anymore so most unhooks are just free. Doc probably.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The weirdest part of Death garden for me was the killer being able to choose whether to equivalent-of-hooking the survivor or kill them outright, because IIRC Dead by Daylight started that way and nobody ever used hooks. Years of hindsight and you make the same mistake?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So whatever they did to Skull Merchant doesn't seem to have meaningfully changed her from being Miss All World Three Genner.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

OxMan posted:

Been seeing more tunnelling builds. Clowns mostly, a few knights corner hooking. Let them go into ghost/pop em with bottles to catch up. Clown is especially devious because you will always be caught up with by the time your protection expires. Unless someone comes and takes a hit for you and even then sometimes. I feel like singularity could get mileage out of it too. No one runs DS anymore so most unhooks are just free. Doc probably.

I still run DS and maintain that it's worth it, especially since killers don't expect it anymore. Not fond of feeling forced into an anti-tunnel build but ah well.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

put Otz on so I could finally get Lisa's candy hand in case I ever want to use it and A) why the gently caress did BHVR not list anywhere easily accessible the streamers that qualified. Ridiculous.

And B) since it's Sunday otz was playing SWF with his chat (rotating, you die you leave the party you escape you get to stay) and he gets to talking about playtime hours and how it's impressive how good all the beginner players with only 1400 hours can do still a good job playing together and understanding the game.

1400 hours is beginner, which sure when you compare that to some of the streamers with 5000+ hour it makes sense relatively but just, absorb that for a moment. Otz considers 1400 loving hours to be a beginner still! Ridiculous.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hot take: Wiggling skill checks shouldn't be in the game. They're pointless busywork. The meter should just fill at a constant rate while a survivor is being carried.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 23, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doesn’t the skill check influence which way you push the killer? It’s pointless most of the time to miss a skill check to focus on forcing them in a particular direction, but to keep your engaged they could make it a bar and you press buttons to gently caress with their movement.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Wiggle skillchecks don't influence the direction, it changes the direction at set times. Hitting greats influences how hard it is to fight back against that movement though (mini boil over), and allows survivors the option not to struggle if killer is giving them hatch or something.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

1400 hours is beginner, which sure when you compare that to some of the streamers with 5000+ hour it makes sense relatively but just, absorb that for a moment. Otz considers 1400 loving hours to be a beginner still! Ridiculous.

I watched an old video of myself playing killer at 800 hrs and i look like a dumb lil baby playing. I think that's one of the number one things that keeps people playing the game: the continuous improvement. Even at 2k+ hrs i consider myself a "skilled novice" at survivor and "okay" at my favorite killers (a list that's ever growing).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

OxMan posted:

I watched an old video of myself playing killer at 800 hrs and i look like a dumb lil baby playing. I think that's one of the number one things that keeps people playing the game: the continuous improvement. Even at 2k+ hrs i consider myself a "skilled novice" at survivor and "okay" at my favorite killers (a list that's ever growing).

I'm sure the playerbase has advanced since I stopped playing, but I considered myself a "very good" killer at 1000 hours on my mains, simply "good" at killers I wasn't brand new at but weren't my main, and any advancements would be small optimizations at most or really ingraining map layouts in my brain. I was much worse as a survivor, average at most, but frankly just didn't enjoy that role as much as killer anyway.

Idk, maybe it's just a difference from player to player because of game sense or game knowledge.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm sad and pathetic at like 2300 hours and I still suck.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm 700 hours in and feel like I'm garbage at this game on both sides

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lager posted:

Never got to play Friday the 13th, but wasn't there also random sides? Like you didn't just pick to be Jason or a counselor, but rather a person got assigned to be Jason randomly? I'd always heard that, and the idea seemed kind of interesting since that way it might prevent people from just playing one side and thinking of the other side as the "bad guys" and such, the way a lot of DBD players act. Little more sympathy for each other, because you know how it feels to have the other side be obnoxious little shits.
mostly, yeah. you could opt out of Jason for the match but being the killer was never a guarantee.

downside was that half the lobby would quit at the start of the match when they didn't get to be killer and there was no backfill

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The issue is that game developers aren’t really interested in balance, but player experience because that drives retention. In pretty much every asym after Evolve, survivors get eliminated and the killer doesn’t. An eliminated player doesn’t share in the team victory in the same way they do in a respawning team game. So there’s always the temptation to make things easier for survivors just to increase play time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm like 600-700 hours over 3 years but I feel I'm in the top 10% of killers while not being remotely close to the top 1%. Loving FPS my whole life has helped a lot, predictive pathing and map awareness is universal.

Yes Dunning Kruger but I still maintain that good map awareness and M1 fundamentals blow away 75% of the survivor playerbase so the bars aren't too tricky to clear at first. It's when you slam into sweat town that every little bit better you get is earned with blood and tears.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'd probably be a better killer if I just spent some time playing only a couple of them, but I largely just play these days for dailies and challenges. I track my wins and I'm at about 65% overall so I win more than I lose, but I'm definitely not great.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

Yeah with the huge number of combinations of and interactions between killer powers and addons, killer perks, survivor perks and maps there is just an absurdly large learning curve for this game. You have to know that Self Awareness affects Pinhead chained survivors, that the shack wall on this particular map can be shot through by Deathslinger, and to be able to intuit and keep a running tally of 16 perks. And then you need to do it all playing the other role.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blasmeister posted:

Yeah with the huge number of combinations of and interactions between killer powers and addons, killer perks, survivor perks and maps there is just an absurdly large learning curve for this game. You have to know that Self Awareness affects Pinhead chained survivors, that the shack wall on this particular map can be shot through by Deathslinger, and to be able to intuit and keep a running tally of 16 perks. And then you need to do it all playing the other role.

I largely disagree with there being a "perk study" learning curve for most people, and feel that the 1400 hour mark is someone with many times that number in the game not remembering what a "beginner" actually is. Beginners aren't people who only know half the perks, it's people who don't know how to loop or manage generators. Knowing all of the perks back to front and how to recognize/counter them is important for perfect play but a lot of times A) everyone runs the same perks and B) its mostly edge cases where encyclopedic knowledge of perks is really going to make a difference. Something like DS is a game changer but the perks where if a highly specific series of events line up to give you a speed boost is not going to be something most players need to hit the books over.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah I remember about 20 survivor perks max with a shift of 1-5 over months depending on the meta. There's honestly not much difference between "I looked left first instead of right and they stealthed me" if they pull it off via a perk you can't know was activated until you see it on the pair match screen or if they rounded a corner 1 seconds earlier than would have been ideal for me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have 700 hours and half the time I don't even remember what the perks I brought do

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As of last night I have 1,176 hours in the game, been playing since 2019ish. That’s probably a 30/70 split between survivor/killer now, maybe a 50/50 a couple years ago when I had a solid SWF that played once or twice a week.

IMO I’m a pretty solid Killer main that can hold my own against good SWFs and an okay-ish Survivor that can carry weaker teams but will never win awards for chases and loops. I can easily identify 80-90% of the Perks in the game and can often guess most of the Killer’s loadout within a few minutes of playing a match as Survivor, but part of that is also watching lots of Otz streams and his perk tutorials.

This is all on console, so possibly a big asterisk, but it’s still crazy to me that I’m 200 hours away from what Otz would consider the end of the beginner phase of the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I largely disagree with there being a "perk study" learning curve for most people, and feel that the 1400 hour mark is someone with many times that number in the game not remembering what a "beginner" actually is. Beginners aren't people who only know half the perks, it's people who don't know how to loop or manage generators. Knowing all of the perks back to front and how to recognize/counter them is important for perfect play but a lot of times A) everyone runs the same perks and B) its mostly edge cases where encyclopedic knowledge of perks is really going to make a difference. Something like DS is a game changer but the perks where if a highly specific series of events line up to give you a speed boost is not going to be something most players need to hit the books over.

Danaru posted:

I have 700 hours and half the time I don't even remember what the perks I brought do

Yeah I'm a weird stats nerd so I really like knowing everything I can about the game, even if I'm bad about it, so I keep spreadsheets and read up on all the perk changes...but realistically, you can have fun with the game just understanding the basics. I have one friend who has barely anything unlocked but never spends bloodpoints because "he likes his build, no need to change it".

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Blasmeister posted:

burden of knowledge is a huge issue in any long running game that continues to add content but when I stopped playing, at the time I could tell you roughly what every perk in the game did, as well as point out the signs of a particular perk that doesn't typically have a tell while playing. Obviously if I had started playing now it'd probably take me a chunk longer to get to that point maybe, but fundamentally the core of the game doesn't really change regardless of the details of each match.

Also you absolutely do not need to know the minutiae of particular killers you mentioned as either survivor or killer to be considered "not a beginner". Hell, the only people figuring that poo poo out are one tricks who refuse to play any other killer, or people whose literal job is playing DbD. Those are literally not your average players lol, no matter how many hours they have.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I'm a weird stats nerd so I really like knowing everything I can about the game, even if I'm bad about it, so I keep spreadsheets and read up on all the perk changes...but realistically, you can have fun with the game just understanding the basics. I have one friend who has barely anything unlocked but never spends bloodpoints because "he likes his build, no need to change it".

that friend is an absolute psycho and also probably a goon, since goons never read patch notes. Smh I will never understand people who don't want to engage with a game like that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah I have just over 1k hours but I've memorized every perk. Add-ons however...

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Approaching 2000 hours if you include the smurf I made to play with my friend who's low tier, because on main the game keeps slamming me up against walls of 4000-8000 hour survivors + comp Blights that are not even remotely my level, let alone my friend's. Very cool and good matchmaking, love to eat poo poo and die after 5 seconds in every chase no matter how many times I throw rank to try to get to somewhere I can actually improve.

(The comp Blights are super cool to see in action though, very gentlemanly. Ran into one twice in a row and he went crazy spinning and nodding on my first down like "oh my god twice in a row???" and then later gave me hatch lmao. Mensch.)

I'd consider myself "veteran", I guess. I know all the perks and have a good sense for a lot of the add-ons. I don't know the particulars of like, Knight because I never vers him and I hate it when I do but I can say "okay, that windup was way too quick, this Huntress probably has windup addons". I'm not amazing in chase as survivor but I have a few killers I can deeply frustrate, and I've built up good gamesense when it comes to finishing generators under the killer's nose and generally keeping my team alive.

I'm good enough at killer but I dislike the repetition and stress of high level play with perfect loopers using MFT+Hope+Resilience, so I generally have no desire to get to the more competitive upper echelons... on M1 killers, at least.

I'm nowhere near Otz level nor do I want to be, but I definitely wouldn't think of myself as a novice.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kwolok posted:

Yeah I have just over 1k hours but I've memorized every perk. Add-ons however...

Give yourself more credit! I mean I'm sure you can't tell what EXACT addons someone has but stealth and one shots are a big chunk of noticeables, and a lot of others either instantly and visibly affect the way a power works, or is stuff you learn with experience like how a blight moves or a nurse blinks. I think killer addons are easier to recognize as survivor whereas survivor addons you recognize while they gently caress you over directly as killer (mostly medkit related)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I consider myself a veteran in that I was playing when Myers was brand new, someone once asked how a Prestige 3 Myers didn't get a single kill and I said "you don't have to be GOOD to prestige, just be persistent"

God I know I've said it more than a few times but seriously remember when you couldn't kick generators?? that was a life changer

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Huh the ghost busters game is now on steam and its pretty ok. Kinda a mix of prop hunt and ghosty stuff. Decently fun and has full crossplay so even if hte numbers on pc are bad seems there are a lot of players.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I have ~100 hr into the game and want to say that I'm good at stabbing people and putting them on hook but I don't really tend to play fair nor in a healthy manner considering I just play in a way that give me the quickest hit of dopamine (Which include avoiding lobby of 4 people armed with some random tools)

Anyhow, I gotta congratulate y'all for stayin consistent considering I'm really starting to get tired of this game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Franklin's Demise (off Leatherface) is the funniest way to deal with a lobby full of items. It makes them drop their item on a hit and they just completely lose their minds

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Franklin's Demise (off Leatherface) is the funniest way to deal with a lobby full of items. It makes them drop their item on a hit and they just completely lose their minds

Place a trap on the item with Hag/Trapper and hilarity ensues because they rush to get their item back.

I generally don't use Franklins just because I hate it as a survivor, but it has it's place for sure.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Survivors will stop at nothing to get that item back and it's hilarious every single time.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I did the random perk challenge on killer, and one of my perks was Franklin's

I apologized in the endgame chat

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

As dumb as it is, I've been having a lot of fun in this event just going for 8 hooks as fast as possible on Ghost Face and letting whoever doesn't give up live. Running lethal and floods to make sorting approach angles easy then trying to get as many full stalks as I can. The crazy part is I'm still at a >20% kill rate when I'm not trying to kill anyone.

MikeNCR fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 26, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I think I've got a pretty good Solo Queue build going:

Any room for improvements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

I think I've got a pretty good Solo Queue build going:

Any room for improvements?

Hmm, could see if you like Diversion in there as an alternative to scene partner. Throw rocks at the killer instead of screaming at them.