Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

THEY ARE EXPIERD ATACMS

FULL OF POWDERED MILK

I wish I had powdered milk comrade :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is old news news but it's personally important to me.

The International Federation of the Red Cross is going to kick out the Belarusian Red Cross if they don't fire it's current head Dzmetri Shatsou. The deadline is the end of November.

Shatsou bragged about importing kids from Ukraine*. He also visibly and proudly supports the Russian invasion, even calling for the use of nukes. These words and acts violate the founding principles of the IFRC.

If Shatsou isn't fired, the BRC will lose access to IFRC funds, resources, assistance, etc. There'd still be issues figuring out repatriation, but that discussion can't even begin with him in office.

*Shatsou was coordinating with a different group that processed and transported kids to Belarus. The BRC handled the housing after arrival. At the very least that might reasonably implicate the BRC with warcrimes.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

HonorableTB posted:

I have no idea how that enormously lovely drunk commander hasn't had a smoking accident yet :lol:

Export demos? I thought the cost of Atacms was near one million each and one reason they were being phased out was the cost. There is a huge net benefit win with the amount of Russian equipment destroyed vs the cost of the strike but these numbers seem to be exaggerated.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Budzilla posted:

Export demos? I thought the cost of Atacms was near one million each and one reason they were being phased out was the cost. There is a huge net benefit win with the amount of Russian equipment destroyed vs the cost of the strike but these numbers seem to be exaggerated.

Budzilla, more like BuzzKilla.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQnOYmyN5M

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

what is that bread cup thing

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

what is that bread cup thing

That's what makes it Mexican.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shat

...sou?

Waitaminute

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Budzilla posted:

Export demos? I thought the cost of Atacms was near one million each and one reason they were being phased out was the cost.

They did stop procuring new missiles because of cost in 2007 - this was at a time when they were aggressively shaving away weapons meant for large-scale conventional warfare in order to focus on COIN operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The original manufacturing cost was around 800,000 1990 dollars or about 1.2 million today's money. That cost isn't why they're not making more than a handful today for export customers.

ATACMS is being phased out primarily because it is fundamentally obsolete - the new Precision Strike Missile flies further, is more accurate, and takes up half the space (A standard MLRS pod carries 6 rockets (now often guided), one ATACMS, or two PrSM). The PrSM was supposed to enter service this year, but appears to have been delayed slightly.

The cost is kind of off in another way because the value of those missiles was $0 US dollars - they were just hanging around taking up space and waiting to be destroyed. Probably less than $0, because destroying them would cost money. Still, even taking original production cost and tripling the number of missiles claimed in the tweet would give you under $30 million dollars. That's a fraction even of the low-end claims (unusually, the claims from Oryx are higher than most this time around) from this strike.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
The drunk commander slurring over the radio while the men get taken out one by one is straight out of a horror movie.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

EasilyConfused posted:

Can I still call Swedes bork?

Sure, go ahead, we don't mind.

And why not use some of our old runes or symbols while you're at it? For your military unit, fantasy board game, or your lovely tv show about Rome perhaps lmao

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Von Pluring posted:

And why not use some of our old runes or symbols while you're at it? For your military unit, fantasy board game, or your lovely tv show about Rome perhaps lmao

This isn't the cursed images thread. :stare:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Gnoman posted:

ATACMS is being phased out primarily because it is fundamentally obsolete - the new Precision Strike Missile flies further, is more accurate, and takes up half the space (A standard MLRS pod carries 6 rockets (now often guided), one ATACMS, or two PrSM). The PrSM was supposed to enter service this year, but appears to have been delayed slightly.

Yeah I know about the PrSM as the replacement and its benefits and how much better it is than ATACMS. I thought one of the goals of the PrSM program was to drive down the unit cost of the missile compared to ATACMS. My main issue is with that that tweet that seems to be calculating the bill for the strike seems too optimistic, from a value perspective if 20 ATACMS were fired and only 2 helicopters were destroyed it would have paid for itself. But up to 20 helicopters have been damaged and destroyed and that doesn't include personnel and equipment. No need to understate the cost of the missiles used.

Rivethead posted:

Budzilla, more like BuzzKilla.
Hey! <:mad:>

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Von Pluring posted:

So no one told you Rome was gonna be this way *clap clap clap clap*

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
That hit paid for itself because it trashed a lot of Russian garbage imo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Haven't you seen the specifications on these? Getting sold on the black market was step 1.

I'm the cigarettes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Von Pluring posted:

Lionel_hutz_shudder.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Von Pluring posted:

eh, Old Italic alphabet was probable inspiration for Germanic runic alphabet, it predates runic alphabet by quite a lot... but that poster has a mix of various alphabets, I guess people wouldn't understand it if it was written in either Old Italic or Elder Futhark alphabet

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Von Pluring posted:

Oh look, Antenna Hilt swords from the Hallstatt culture. :nerd:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Solovyov, remembered for being a target of assassination plot by Ukrainian big fan of The Sims 3 named Signature Unclear

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Von Pluring posted:

Vad i hellvete

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1716367618188194133

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

redshirt posted:

Here in Maine, Mud Season is a specific thing, and seasonal. Late winter/early spring when the ground is thawing out but is still frozen down deeper, as such meltwater/rain has nowhere to go, and thus, mud.

But no such frozen ground exists in the late fall/early winter, so I don't get where the mud would come from. Does it rain that much this time of year?

I've been on the ground in Chernihive and while we've been getting rain, it hasn't been enough to constrict construction work. Not sure what effect it's having on the wider front but if it's anything similar to this tracked vehicles should still be able to maneuver.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I watched Perun's video and also loved how those old missiles might have been the perfect tool for the job. Because those bases are probably guarded by some good GPS jammers, and then that old missile comes in and goes "Hey guyz, what's a GPS? :dumb: '

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shogeton posted:

I watched Perun's video and also loved how those old missiles might have been the perfect tool for the job. Because those bases are probably guarded by some good GPS jammers, and then that old missile comes in and goes "Hey guyz, what's a GPS? :dumb: '

There's probably a lot of work going into jammers given the high level of reliance on GPS guided munitions. The logical response would be some really modern, high end inertial guidance (as opposed to the 1980s tech in the pre-GPS ATACMS varients) that supplements the GPS, or maybe acts as a baseline so the missile can tell if it is being jammed and make corrections.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Thankfully ATACMS knows where it is by knowing where it isn't.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

gay picnic defence posted:

There's probably a lot of work going into jammers given the high level of reliance on GPS guided munitions. The logical response would be some really modern, high end inertial guidance (as opposed to the 1980s tech in the pre-GPS ATACMS varients) that supplements the GPS, or maybe acts as a baseline so the missile can tell if it is being jammed and make corrections.

New jamming technology relies on creating fake road signs and landmarks so the missile doesn't know where it isn't.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:laugh:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ELLIOTT NESS AND HIS UNTOUCHABLES RACE TO THE SCENE

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

a normal day in Russian Duma

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Looks like they're calling in Carmen Sandiego for one last job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dwesa posted:

*somewhere, a french philosopher takes a long drag on a cigarette*

"Truly, nobody in this world deserves her."

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
Day 606 of three day special military operation to decartelize Mexico: every antique car show in the US has been commandeered to provide supply trucks for assaults on Mexicartel positions outside Monterrey.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
Heavy losses take out over 50% of America's Model TT reserves in one week

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

Heavy losses take out over 50% of America's Model TT reserves in one week

Waiting for them to start activating vintage tanks out of Kubinka Tank Museum. Finally, the Maus will get its day in the sun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dwesa posted:

jealous of all the unstripped gold and copper

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Waiting for them to start activating vintage tanks out of Kubinka Tank Museum. Finally, the Maus will get its day in the sun.

If they ever start looting Kubinka for something to use, it should be evident to even the most stupid of useful idiots concerning the conclusion of the war. Except maybe Armchair Baldlord.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

That has to be fake

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I assure you it is not lol they are really using WW2 vintage trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

The Maus at Kubinka is literally a husk with nothing but road wheels and a vodka bottle contained within , so by the current performance standards of the RuAF I absolutely expect it to be pulled into action by a fleet of GAZ-51 trucks while Yefreytor Mobikovich shouts "БАНГ!!" down the gun barrel.