Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Whittaker's second season is worse though it does have Sacha Dhawan having the time of his life and the introduction of Jo Martin, which is nice, and then one of the stupidest loving dumb "continuity" decisions in the show's history, that was so bad that even Chibnal largely just decided to try and pretend it never happened.

Reminded me how a huge part of Whittaker's tenure was about a mysterious child, a massive dangling plot thread that would surely get wrapped up in the epic finale. Then in said finale, early on the Doctor came across a mysterious child! Which turned out to be...... a disguise for big dumb squid thing completely unrelated to the giant myth arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GigaPeon posted:

Lol, why’d his clothes regenerate?

“Davies later explained that he wished for the Doctor's clothes to change as part of the first regeneration from a female to a male Doctor, fearing it would be interpreted as a mockery of feminine traits and drag culture by having Tennant appearing in clothing designed for Whittaker.”

Sure, I guess.

Did people generally shout and holler and have a good time when Tennent showed up? Or were the specials announced before?
The UK, like the US, is currently in a big ol' fuckin' "blame literally everything on trans people" fit right now, so I honestly appreciated that he sidestepped the whole thing instead of being yet another bullet in that ever-replenishing gun, but that also does kinda' smack of giving transphobes their way by virtue of how loud and dangerous they are.

If all of us disappeared tomorrow, The Daily Mail would still find ways to blame us for poo poo, so maybe it was a mistake, but I definitely get the why of it.

In any case, Fourteen was surprised to find his clothes had changed too, so at the very least it's canon-friendly.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
War of Sontarans and Village of the Angels would have been really solid episodes without the Flux nonsense. It Takes You Away is wonderful, and the kind of episode 13 needed more of. Eve of the Daleks is a fun one, aside from the awful stalker character played for laughs. Power of the Doctor is good fun, and the cast seem really into it, and there some touching moments.

The problem was that Chibnall wrote far, far too much of the show, and should have had more writers to avoid spreading himself so thin, or have people to say 'no, that's a bad idea'. Whittaker was a wonderful casting idea, but it felt like she was approaching the role with one hand tied behind her back, with how passive her Doctor was written.

As for the regeneration, the confused look at the new suit really helped the 'something is very wrong' tone. Apparently there's a short story in the new annual that explictly links back to the Second Doctor getting a new outfit too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LividLiquid posted:

The UK, like the US, is currently in a big ol' fuckin' "blame literally everything on trans people" fit right now, so I honestly appreciated that he sidestepped the whole thing instead of being yet another bullet in that ever-replenishing gun, but that also does kinda' smack of giving transphobes their way by virtue of how loud and dangerous they are.

If all of us disappeared tomorrow, The Daily Mail would still find ways to blame us for poo poo, so maybe it was a mistake, but I definitely get the why of it.

In any case, Fourteen was surprised to find his clothes had changed too, so at the very least it's canon-friendly.

That said, we’ve got a trans actress front and centre in the specials, so RTD is already going hyper on representation and visibility. :toot:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Annual?

The_Doctor posted:

That said, we’ve got a trans actress front and centre in the specials, so RTD is already going hyper on representation and visibility. :toot:
Oh, right! I forgot all about this! Awesome.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I love the changing scene, I guess I just imagined seeing his clothes morph along with the face when doing the big scream and that raggedy man was just a British neg. I also love the twist of Amy being hot for the doctor since it sets up a couple really great arcs that I feel are pretty unique in TV love... Not triangle, I'm not sure what polygon to use for the analogy considering all the time travel and maculate time conception.

Timecube

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Unhappy one-year anniversary to the previous episode of Doctor Who. May we never have a 13-month drought again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first finger on 10s disembodied hand curls.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

The first finger on 10s disembodied hand curls.

I'll have you know that hand regrew into the Parallel Universe, fully-human Doctor. Or did you forget Journey's End?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There still exists an infinite amount of time and countless adventures that hand can have gone in between episodes and that regeneration! One day there will be Big Finish adventures starring 5 of 10.

Plenty of time to grant cursed wishes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alternatively, his over confidence as a human has lead to some disastrous doritos factory tours including one or more where he loses the hand again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Immediately after regenerating, the new Doctor keeps lopping bits off and putting them in jars because they might be useful someday.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Edward Mass posted:

Unhappy one-year anniversary to the previous episode of Doctor Who. May we never have a 13-month drought again.

<laughs in 1986 and 1989>

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Khanstant posted:

There still exists an infinite amount of time and countless adventures that hand can have gone in between episodes and that regeneration! One day there will be Big Finish adventures starring 5 of 10.

Plenty of time to grant cursed wishes.

They're already doing these stories. There have been a couple, and I believe the hook is "10 but WILDER BECAUSE HE'S HUMAN" and star Jackie as the pov, but I'm on my phone and can't check easily. I have heard one that was a companion piece but that's all coming to mind at the moment.

Basically if you've thought it, bf has as well at this point lol

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-short-trips-the-siege-of-big-ben-1558

And then a follow up

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-short-trips-flight-into-hull-1560

I need to give them a try but.. Lidster written take a certain headspace for me. And it's a rarity.

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Warthur
May 2, 2004

If we are talking regeneration stuff, I would say the thing I like about 13 to 14 was that it did something very different and made regeneration weird and unpredictable again, like it was for most of the classic Doctors. Enough of this generic regeneration energy stuff, show me Time Lords producing tulpas of their future selves as they sense death approaching.

Also, I don't like how the new series always has regeneration happening standing up, after the Doctor has had a chance to wander around and do some farewell scenes. The classic Doctors went out lying down, broken, and vulnerable. Make it feel like they are dying again, not like they are about to do a big glowy fart.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I dislike the 13 to 14 regeneration, but only because of how it's handled in Liberation of the Daleks. No regeneration trauma, not even acknowledging the fact his clothes also changed, he just walks into the TARDIS and immediately goes off on an adventure. I kept following the story for a while, but it really seems as if it's not going to be brought up again.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Finally finished Heaven Sent in my rewatch, which I hadn't seen since it's original airing, and Moffat can be so drat frustrating. He's capable of some amazing scripts and stories that my mind tends to gravitate to when I think back on what is Doctor Who. Heaven Sent is quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire revival and Capaldi absolutely knocks it out of the park in a incarnation defining performance...but then Hell Bent...

Give me a season of co-showrunners between RTD and Moffat; they are capable of some amazing scripts and Moffat's Season 5 is one of the best across the board but I feel they're both at their best with editors or just another voice keeping them in line a bit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jisforjosh posted:

Finally finished Heaven Sent in my rewatch, which I hadn't seen since it's original airing, and Moffat can be so drat frustrating. He's capable of some amazing scripts and stories that my mind tends to gravitate to when I think back on what is Doctor Who. Heaven Sent is quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire revival and Capaldi absolutely knocks it out of the park in a incarnation defining performance...but then Hell Bent...

Is almost as good!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jisforjosh posted:

...but then Hell Bent...

I will give Hell Bent this, having the Doctor forget Clara, instead of vice versa was a fun inversion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nothing was ever going to match up to the best the entire franchise has ever been. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Once you have the best single episode of your series, there's nowhere to go but down.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Heaven Sent really is lightning in a bottle (episode). I really hope RTD, a decade and a half on from writing Midnight - the previous best bottle episode - is going to try and flex and surpass it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Seeing Gallifrey, and how they'd adapted to a post-Time War existence was fun, and opened up a lot of interesting story ideas, until they all got killed offscreen.

Anyway, I had a listen to Unregenerate!, and it's not bad, but similar ideas were done better later in The Magic Mousetrap and The Doctor's Wife. While the premise is great - the 7th Doctor is trapped in an asylum that's actually a front for experiments in growing TARDIS minds in organic bodies, but it lacks atmosphere. McCoy is sidelined for the first two episodes, and not in a clever or interesting way, like 7 is intentionally sidelined in later stories (like the Magic Mousetrap), and the story lacks stmosphere (which the Magic Mousetrap had).

(The Magic Mousetrap is a good story).

The second half, where the Doctor perks up and we get some interesting ambiguity over how far Time Lords are willing to go for the greater good is better, but the first half feels like a bit of a lost opportunity for horror and atmosphere.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyv5zgqKpJP/

Ncuti’s season two has started filming.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That is completely bananas

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The mad giant is going to do it, he's going to have a new season air every year.

breaks down sobbing in gratitude

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OldMemes posted:

Seeing Gallifrey, and how they'd adapted to a post-Time War existence was fun, and opened up a lot of interesting story ideas, until they all got killed offscreen.

Anyway, I had a listen to Unregenerate!, and it's not bad, but similar ideas were done better later in The Magic Mousetrap and The Doctor's Wife. While the premise is great - the 7th Doctor is trapped in an asylum that's actually a front for experiments in growing TARDIS minds in organic bodies, but it lacks atmosphere. McCoy is sidelined for the first two episodes, and not in a clever or interesting way, like 7 is intentionally sidelined in later stories (like the Magic Mousetrap), and the story lacks stmosphere (which the Magic Mousetrap had).

(The Magic Mousetrap is a good story).

The second half, where the Doctor perks up and we get some interesting ambiguity over how far Time Lords are willing to go for the greater good is better, but the first half feels like a bit of a lost opportunity for horror and atmosphere.

Magic Mousetrap is indeed a good story, the opening is really strong and fun despite "the Doctor has amnesia" being cliche even for Doctors that ARENT Eight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope the seasons are bangers out the gate. Sometimes shows with a few in the can as they air don't get to respond to issues they have until X seasons later... But that still lags behind so best case scenario season 2 was more of the same issues and not a new set of issues.

Trek has both ends of that, with Picard being a constant trainwreck unable to get back on track and Lower Decks being great but a little lag to get even better.

But even just from the tiny previews I've seen, I'm fully confident it will definitely be better than the last several years of TV Who output. And not just in a rude way towards last run, I think I'd be equally stoked had this been the preview era following a beloved run.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

TL posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyv5zgqKpJP/

Ncuti’s season two has started filming.

I'm glad that the production machine for Doctor Who is working more consistently than it has in a long time, I just kind of hate the new normal of production where the next season is in production before we've even seen an episode of the current one. If there's a crazy audience break out thing they want to harness, it'll next be seen in season three!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Tennant specials are making me imagine how things might have gone in an alternate universe where the 90s tv movie got Tom Baker back for a short run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

The Tennant specials are making me imagine how things might have gone in an alternate universe where the 90s tv movie got Tom Baker back for a short run.
drat, this is a good thought you had.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

At this rate we'll get 60 episodes to air during the 60th anniversary, absolute madlad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
First 24 hour episode: A Day with a The Doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At this rate, Ncuti’ll be filming his regeneration scene before his first ep even airs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

At this rate, Ncuti’ll be filming his regeneration scene before his first ep even airs.

drat, 10 12-episode seasons AND all the Christmas Specials completed filming before 2024? That's crazy!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hilariously they could be filming the 2024 Christmas special just as everything starts getting Christmassy in the UK! In terms of tv production, that would actually be crazy, as it’s not July or something.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Its crazy we're going to have four episodes out before the end of year. I'm so excited for wild blue yonder whatever that is going to be and the Christmas episode. It's a good time to be a fan of this show again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I quite literally just just watched this and cried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ezx3UwMXiQ

Why couldn't it have all been like this? :cry:

Her announcement meant so much to me that I instantly accepted that I'm a woman and announced it to my family and friends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1716771530892255562
Kate Herron is going to be cowriting an episode for Fifteen. She was the director of the first season of Loki, so I've been hoping she'd get involved with Who and now wish granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh drat, she did a great job on Loki, hell yes.