Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's that loser even running for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or ask the teacher if she's rolling/organizing a protest into the lesson plan because why else would you be there this far away from an election?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

He is running for US Congress because he only runs for office and then plans for the next office to run while ignoring his actual office. Mike Bost is even calling him out for that same poo poo.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Somebody call Awake Illinois, that sounds like political indoctrination in schools.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Sorry guys, I am an idiot. She did not share it in class. She shared it on her personal Facebook and I just noticed it there.

She is not “indoctrinating” any kids in class as far as I know. I need to write better.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was joking about Bailey supporters hipocrisy.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m absolutely killing your character next time we play DnD

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

*Edited to not confuse people.*

Dammit, a local restaurant that I love eating at is having a meet and greet with Darren Bailey.

It's Niemergs, isn't it?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Nash posted:

I’m absolutely killing your character next time we play DnD

NOOOOOOO! My character is already sad and pathetic. Do not punish him for this.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Are we still making fun of Bailey?

I have met Bailey twice and he's an idiot and he's short and we all laughed at him when he almost cracked his head open on the house floor during covid because he was on a liquid diet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bailey is such a perennial also-ran it’s kind of pointless at this juncture. You might as well laugh at Ron Paul.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Much like Ron Paul, he will soon worm his way into Congress.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

State Rep Brad Halbrook came to my door tonight. I was fixing something in the house so my wife answered. When I got done, I came out to see who she was talking to and there he was asking us to sign his signature sheet.

They were talking about abortion and my wife was explaining that she would not be willing to sign anything unless she found out how he felt about issues. She brought up women’s rights and he went into his speech about how he wants to protect the unborn. My wife politely told him that she had two miscarriages and the last one involved a DNC which is banned now in several states. Without those, she would be dead and our daughters would not exist. He danced around the issue as I was stepping out.

He then began discussing the state of Illinois and how they give too much money away. I asked him if that included tax breaks for businesses and age subsidies. He hemmed and hawed before he said yes because Pritzker is trying to give $500 million in taxpayer money to a “communist Chinese company” and how taxation is theft. I loudly interrupted him as I told him that he is paid with taxpayer money before asking him if he was a thief. He stuttered as he said that I needed to let him finish but he never led the conversation again.

The following were how he tried to deflect over the next 15 minutes:
- my wife asking him which programs were “wasteful” but he never actually mentioned one, just kept it vague.
- him talking about “one program that helped out a couple that contacted him” and how he asked for money to go to that program but he could not trust other ones to not be wasteful.
- him explaining that he wants to take program by program to determine cuts due to wastefulness and me telling him that his “taxation is theft” ideology makes people believe that all programs are stealing from them which seems to not care about “waste”
- “if you support giving money to Ukraine, you must be okay with giving money to Israel” to which I had to explain to him how geopolitics works and how the US only responds when there is a economic purpose which is why we are not giving a crap about Azerbaijan and Armenia right now since neither serves an economic purpose for the US (he had no idea about the conflict between them which I told him proves my point).
- finally he begins talking about wasting taxpayer money and starting talking about what happened in Israel. I stopped him and said that if he thinks Biden gave Iran $6 billion and he said yes. I told him that it was not taxpayer money and I explained the situation. He shook his head and just nodded along.

When I finished, I told him that as a Representative he needs to be better informed about things or not talk about them. He smiled at my wife and me and told us to have a good evening as he walked away.

I cannot stand foolishness and all I saw was foolishness when he dumbly said, “taxation is theft”. That is just childish, immature and greedy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

State Rep Brad Halbrook came to my door tonight. I was fixing something in the house so my wife answered. When I got done, I came out to see who she was talking to and there he was asking us to sign his signature sheet.

They were talking about abortion and my wife was explaining that she would not be willing to sign anything unless she found out how he felt about issues. She brought up women’s rights and he went into his speech about how he wants to protect the unborn. My wife politely told him that she had two miscarriages and the last one involved a DNC which is banned now in several states. Without those, she would be dead and our daughters would not exist. He danced around the issue as I was stepping out.

He then began discussing the state of Illinois and how they give too much money away. I asked him if that included tax breaks for businesses and age subsidies. He hemmed and hawed before he said yes because Pritzker is trying to give $500 million in taxpayer money to a “communist Chinese company” and how taxation is theft. I loudly interrupted him as I told him that he is paid with taxpayer money before asking him if he was a thief. He stuttered as he said that I needed to let him finish but he never led the conversation again.

The following were how he tried to deflect over the next 15 minutes:
- my wife asking him which programs were “wasteful” but he never actually mentioned one, just kept it vague.
- him talking about “one program that helped out a couple that contacted him” and how he asked for money to go to that program but he could not trust other ones to not be wasteful.
- him explaining that he wants to take program by program to determine cuts due to wastefulness and me telling him that his “taxation is theft” ideology makes people believe that all programs are stealing from them which seems to not care about “waste”
- “if you support giving money to Ukraine, you must be okay with giving money to Israel” to which I had to explain to him how geopolitics works and how the US only responds when there is a economic purpose which is why we are not giving a crap about Azerbaijan and Armenia right now since neither serves an economic purpose for the US (he had no idea about the conflict between them which I told him proves my point).
- finally he begins talking about wasting taxpayer money and starting talking about what happened in Israel. I stopped him and said that if he thinks Biden gave Iran $6 billion and he said yes. I told him that it was not taxpayer money and I explained the situation. He shook his head and just nodded along.

When I finished, I told him that as a Representative he needs to be better informed about things or not talk about them. He smiled at my wife and me and told us to have a good evening as he walked away.

I cannot stand foolishness and all I saw was foolishness when he dumbly said, “taxation is theft”. That is just childish, immature and greedy.

I'm not sure if I'm more surprised that he didn't find a reason to run away sooner, or the fact that a Goon answered the door for a rando and not immediately losing interest.

I say that last part with love - I definitely would not have entertained his level of nonsense for more than 30 seconds before excusing myself to put out my cat that was on fire or something.

Good on you for your willingness to engage these sorts head-on though!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure if I'm more surprised that he didn't find a reason to run away sooner, or the fact that a Goon answered the door for a rando and not immediately losing interest.

I say that last part with love - I definitely would not have entertained his level of nonsense for more than 30 seconds before excusing myself to put out my cat that was on fire or something.

Good on you for your willingness to engage these sorts head-on though!

My wife answered and she is much more of a nice person than I am. I stepped out assuming that it was going to be Mormons or Jehovah’s Witnesses (those guys are fun too). At the very least, I looked upon it as my civic duty to waste his time as much as possible so he could not get as many signatures.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife answered and she is much more of a nice person than I am. I stepped out assuming that it was going to be Mormons or Jehovah’s Witnesses (those guys are fun too). At the very least, I looked upon it as my civic duty to waste his time as much as possible so he could not get as many signatures.

o7

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You messed with him because you are one of those dirty lib sickos who hates America.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But did your kids and the guy's staffers stand up and clap?
The story isn't believeable until they do.
This is my dream, to own an actual candidate with facts and logic who comes to me door

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm so non-confrontational in person I usually just go "uh no thanks" and leave.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
That's awesome, and it never fails to amaze me how utterly unprepared these types are when someone actually calls them on their complete nonsense.

I had a similar (but less thorough) encounter in... must have been summer 2022, with a signature-gatherer. I was walking along in our downtown area with my kids, and the lady approached with the basic pitch of "hey, you have kids - isn't the decline of [our school district]'s academics terrible? Now, I knew perfectly well that our local school districts are among the top ranks in the state, so knew immediately where she was going with this, but asked her to tell me more. She started into the "we have to get back to the basics of reading, math, blah blah blah" and "not all the distractions." I asked her specifically what distractions she was talking about, and asked again after her initial attempt at hemming and hawing past it. She had to admit that it was indeed the efforts at diversity and inclusion, and social-emotional learning, so I responded that those things were important to me as a parent as well as to our overall level of learning and society. She stammered "no, but I do think those are important too" as I informed her that the slate of school board candidates she was currently stumping for would not receive my signature, and that if those things were actually important to her she should rethink her volunteer efforts, or at least be honest about her opening pitch.

The fact that they're so open and obvious about lying at this point and are still so unprepared to respond when called out still pisses me off to no end. Those candidates still got on the ballot, but I was so pleased in the end when they got crushed at the polls.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

But did your kids and the guy's staffers stand up and clap?
The story isn't believeable until they do.
This is my dream, to own an actual candidate with facts and logic who comes to me door

No one clapped but my 13 year old daughter asked me (when we came back inside) if I hated that guy because “you were knocking him down a lot”. She was sitting on the couch by the door and could hear it all (which led to her and my wife talking about abortion afterwards because she said that she just did not know how she felt about the issue).

In all reality, if I had answered the door, I would have just told him no thanks and ended it like that but my wife did not know who he was so she was honestly interested in signing his sheet if she agreed with him. Stepping outside the door during the abortion topic (which is personal for my wife and me) raised me up, but the “taxation is theft” BS set me off and I was ready to go after that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

No one clapped but my 13 year old daughter asked me (when we came back inside) if I hated that guy because “you were knocking him down a lot”. She was sitting on the couch by the door and could hear it all (which led to her and my wife talking about abortion afterwards because she said that she just did not know how she felt about the issue).

In all reality, if I had answered the door, I would have just told him no thanks and ended it like that but my wife did not know who he was so she was honestly interested in signing his sheet if she agreed with him. Stepping outside the door during the abortion topic (which is personal for my wife and me) raised me up, but the “taxation is theft” BS set me off and I was ready to go after that.

Good. Holbrook is absolute trash and deserved more than you gave him, the loving ghoul.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I see Brandon cut $150m from the new-welcome budget line for 2024 and had to walk back a trip to the border. Maybe we'll get a real progressive next time.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Dude went on Mase Jackson's show and agreed that immigrants were a problem.He didn't try to hide it at all.

Why do you think so many Latinos voted against him?

I hope Delia Ramirez regrets endorsing him because of some internal dispute between Mexican and Puerto Rican politicians

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Dude went on Mase Jackson's show and agreed that immigrants were a problem.He didn't try to hide it at all.

Why do you think so many Latinos voted against him?

I hope Delia Ramirez regrets endorsing him because of some internal dispute between Mexican and Puerto Rican politicians

Did he say that or did he say like, “it’s a problem we have all these people coming here and no way to effectively deal with that”

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Did he say that or did he say like, “it’s a problem we have all these people coming here and no way to effectively deal with that”

He just cut half the money for their food and shelter. He can say whatever, but his actions show a lot of hate in his heart.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If it makes you feel any better it’s probably a fake number just to make the budget balance rather than an actual cut. Just like with police overtime

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It doesn't, and we'll see about that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/midwestern_ope/status/1714658000701436188

https://twitter.com/gorockford/status/1714711950330884226

lmao.

Shout out to my hometown.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 19, 2023

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

False images. Not a single beefaroo. It's also missing historic State Street Station (strip club across the street from a Chuck-E-Cheese)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wichita Falls North

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Forrest on Fire posted:

False images. Not a single beefaroo. It's also missing historic State Street Station (strip club across the street from a Chuck-E-Cheese)

I dunno, I think I see Uncle Nick's...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you want to imagine Rockford, picture in your mind the little walkway tunnels they used to build to connect buildings underground. Now imagine those haven't been maintained in 40 years and are filled with asbestos

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
"progressive" Brandon Johnson loves cops, hates immigrants.

https://twitter.com/jus10chi/status/1715389226278060052?s=20

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This just seems like relatively standard union negotiations.

Like we got a huge raise this round of union negotiations with the state.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

If it makes you feel any better it’s probably a fake number just to make the budget balance rather than an actual cut. Just like with police overtime

It largely is a fake number. Like when the "funding" runs out they are still going to keep providing the same services, it's just going to show up as a "negative" number on the books, because they went over budget.

And then he's gonna get yelled at for being fiscally irresponsible, and blah blah blah, for the next state of the state address. Or when he asks for emergency funding, due to the "migrant crisis"

Not to defend him because, the so called lowering of the budget is a pretty clear like for lack of a better term olive branch, to a specific section of chicago politics.

But functionally nothing really is going to change.

On a macro economics scale the budget means jack poo poo other than like quite literally a virtue signal. Cities/States/Countries can spend whatever the gently caress they want.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The X-man cometh posted:

"progressive" Brandon Johnson loves cops, hates immigrants.

https://twitter.com/jus10chi/status/1715389226278060052?s=20

Did he at least get to fire the Oath Keepers in the police before he gave them a bonus?

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Dexo posted:

On a macro economics scale the budget means jack poo poo other than like quite literally a virtue signal.

drat, Brandon must have poo poo virtues. I'm starting to think the guy who's only been held in comparison to Lori Lightfoot and Paul Vallas isn't really that progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean yeah, he's participating in electoralism. This is about what should be expected.

He's marginally left of your average Dem, like around maybe like Liz Warren. Slightly left of JB Pritzker

None of those people I would call a "progressive".

I don't disagree with any of the criticism, as like I said none of this is intended to be a defense.

Mostly it's just like around what I expected.

Anyone who was like a real deal progressive would probably have been murdered by CPD before being allowed to win.

Like in all elections you vote for the least bad option(unless all of the options are infact like completely unredeemable)and Johnson was that of the ones who ended up having a chance to win.

He deserves the criticism like all Politicians do when they do terrible poo poo

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 23, 2023